• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Is Jesus God or is He a Lunatic?

It is the same Greek word.

Wow. This is easy.

Jesus is the only despotēs.
τὸν μόνον δεσπότην (Jude 4)
Dunning-Kruger effect on full display here. :oops:

That isn't how translating from one language into another language works. You don't know enough about the subject to grasp how severely wrong you are about this. Theologically, Jesus isn't the Sovereign Lord and Creator in many places in the Bible.

It wasn't crazy even in the slightest and the common Jew would have understood this easily. They were using animal sacrifices in the Old Covenant for the forgiveness of sins (Leviticus 4:20.) Jesus was saying they are going to use him for their sacrifice for sins in the New Covenant.
You might want to rethink that. Here are the scriptures again.
Matt 26:28 "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."

Keep in mind He said this to His disciples who were Jews, steeped in the Mosaic Law and its sacrificial system, and knew exactly what this claim meant. Jesus is identifying Himself as God and Jesus is saying that He has that same power and that same authority.

John 6:35 Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to e shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst."

John 8:56-59 "Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad." So the Jews said to him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?" Jesus said to them, "Truly truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am."

John 6:5 And he said to them, "The Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath."
Which one you are referring to is anyone's guess.1. Human sacrifice was prohibited in Jewish Law. It was something pagans did.

2.Take note that Jesus concluded that discourse with eating His flesh, and drinking His blood. WHat they knew when He said He came down from heaven and was the bread of life, and you do not, was that He was saying He was God. That is why they wanted to stone Him.

3. The scripture itself tell us were flabbergasted that He would say such a thing.

4.What the Jews knew, and you do not, is that only God is Lord of the Sabbath.

Only a crazy man would say such things and certainly only a crazy man who wished to die would say them to a Jew.

Good. God wasn't born under the law. Did you know that?
The eternal Son was. If you could figure out why that was, and why only God can do what Jesus came to do and did, you would have no problem recognizing this Son--- who was not begotten of man, but of God. (Which is why He called Him Father while He walked the earth.) In fact, if you could figure out exactly what Jesus did when He died and rose again, you wouldn't have to change the meaning of all the scriptures that declare Him to be God.
Cool and the one God for those under the law is YHWH. Jesus, a Jew under the law, called his God his Father.
YHWH is the the one God of everyone, whether they accept that or not, not just the Jews. Jesus called Him Father because He is His Father---the one who beggot Him in the womb of a virgin. The Jews of Jesus' day and prior, did not call God Father. They would never be so familiar with Him. But--- all you have given me is your beliefs and put forth nothing that actually supports that belief.
I'll give you that, but according to Jesus, the Father gave him the authority to give eternal life. So the life actually comes from the Father, not Jesus.

John 17
2For You granted Him authority over all people, so that He may give eternal life to all those You have given Him.
More LOL. How can a man be given authority to give eternal life, unless that man Himself is eternal? Eternal life isn't a "thing" God hands to the Son or anyone. And only God Himself is eternal as who He is. The Father did not give Jesus authority to give eternal life, but authority as the incarnate Son, over all people. Why? So that His work on the cross would purchase eternal life for all that God was giving Him.

Yes and they had to go out into the field, gather the manna, work it, process it, cook it, and eat. Had they did nothing they would have simply starved to death. It's the same with Jesus. Jesus said come to me and eat, that is to say make the effort to believe. Those who decide not to believe will perish.

John 6
35Jesus answered, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to Me will never hunger, and whoever believes in Me will never thirst.
Why are you dodging the issue by changing the subject?
That would not be a right conclusion since Jesus is still comparing himself to the manna. The manna isn't God. The manna is the food that God sent therefore the Bread from Heaven is not God either.

John 6
29Jesus replied, “The work of God is this: to believe in the One He has sent.”
He isn't comparing Himself to anything. Read it again.

Jesus said He was the true bread, the bread of life, that came from where? Heaven. He isn't comparing Himself to manna. He is explicitly saying He is not that manna, but just like that manna, He came from God.
That would not be a right conclusion since Jesus is still comparing himself to the manna. The manna isn't God. The manna is the food that God sent therefore the Bread from Heaven is not God either.
Jesus is not comparing Himself to manna. And that is utterly faulty reasoning. Let me restate exactly what you said there in a different way and see if you can catch the absurdity of it. "The manna is the food that God sent.That means Jesus is not God."
Oh! That's juicy. The invisible God is the only God and Jesus is the image of the invisible (only) God. How is Jesus God then? Jesus isn't invisible.
That is because He came as one of us, so He could do for us what He did do for us. When you figure out what He did do for us, then you will know why He had to come as one of us, and also why He had to be eternal life, in order to give it.
In John 8:40, contrary to their accusations, Jesus said he is a man who heard the truth from God. So it doesn't follow Jesus is talking about himself being God.
I asked you to read the whole chapter first. You could not possibly have done so in the time between my asking and your answering. So all you have done is post something as though you know it to be true, without making sure you are correct. Or whether or not your post even makes any sense given the context. I'll wait for you to do that.
Jesus isn't the I AM according to Exodus 3:14,15 and Acts 3:13.
I didn't ask for your opinion. I asked you to read the chapter and then tell me what it DOES say and what Jesus meant.
Jesus isn't the Creator in John 1. See John 1:9 where the true Light was coming into the world in the present tense. John the Baptist was testifying of the true Light who gives light to all men. The True Light is the Creator.
See John chapter 1. Without isolating a scripture and without perverting what is there, or adding to what is not there.
Because no one in the Bible ever said that or got the wrong idea that Jesus is God.
Let me see if I have this straight. Only a mad man would say what Lewis said about Jesus either being a lunatic or God, because no one in the Bible ever said that. And that no one in the Bible got the wrong idea that Jesus is God? I believe on both counts you are wrong. On one occasion at least He was called possessed by a demon. On another occasion He was said to do His miracles by the power of Satan. As to no one getting the idea that Jesus is God, that is just you projecting.
If that makes me arrogant then it makes the Bible arrogant as well. I simply state what it says. C.S. Lewis spoke his unsolicited opinion on God's New Covenant, but I stand with God and Jesus and no one ever called Jesus crazy or God.
The Bible has no comment of C.S. Lewis.

How do you know Lewis' opinion was unsolicited?

The comment quoted was not about the New Covenant.

Jesus was called unhinged on a number of occasions. In Matt 18 Jesus has just spent a time teaching in a series of parables about the kingdom of heaven and who would go into it and who would not. When He finished he went into the synagogue in His hometown and began teaching, likely the same things or types of things. When we get to 53-57 we find this: "Where did this man get this wisdom and these mighty works? Is not this the carpenter's son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? And are not all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?" And they took offense at him.

And I have already mentioned the times when He was said to be demon possessed and serving Satan.

Did any call Him God? Thomas did directly, though I know you have found a way to make that not be so. So don't bother doing it again. The other times He reveals Himself as God, or the Apostles do, you simply don't hear it.

Last edited:
I don't even control it anymore.
We can tell. It would be far better to use your brain before you use your mouth (fingers in this case.)

We can tell. It would be far better to use your brain before you use your mouth (fingers in this case.)
You are not teaching anything new.

You have been recycling the same tactics over and over.

You guys are so hungry playing a debate game.

The eternal Son was. If you could figure out why that was, and why only God can do what Jesus came to do and did, you would have no problem recognizing this Son--- who was not begotten of man, but of God. (Which is why He called Him Father while He walked the earth.) In fact, if you could figure out exactly what Jesus did when He died and rose again, you wouldn't have to change the meaning of all the scriptures that declare Him to be God.
The Son of God was born under the law because he is the Son of Man. No difference between one or the other. How do I know that? He said so. And whoever said Jesus is the eternal Son of God?

Matthew 16
13When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, He questioned His disciples: “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”
14They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15“But what about you?” Jesus asked. “Who do you say I am?”
16Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
17Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by My Father in heaven.

YHWH is the the one God of everyone, whether they accept that or not, not just the Jews. Jesus called Him Father because He is His Father---the one who beggot Him in the womb of a virgin. The Jews of Jesus' day and prior, did not call God Father. They would never be so familiar with Him. But--- all you have given me is your beliefs and put forth nothing that actually supports that belief.
Everyone's God in a sense, but not in a covenant sense. Not everyone has a covenant with God, but the people we are talking about did. Based on the internal witness of the Bible, that would be the God of the Israelites forever. The name is important here. Is Jesus ever known as YHWH?

Exodus 3
15God also told Moses, “Say to the Israelites, ‘The LORD, the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.’ This is My name forever, and this is how I am to be remembered in every generation.

More LOL. How can a man be given authority to give eternal life, unless that man Himself is eternal? Eternal life isn't a "thing" God hands to the Son or anyone. And only God Himself is eternal as who He is. The Father did not give Jesus authority to give eternal life, but authority as the incarnate Son, over all people. Why? So that His work on the cross would purchase eternal life for all that God was giving Him.
A man can be given authority to give eternal life the same way men were given authority to forgive sin, perform miracles, etc. The actual power doesn't come from the men, but from God acting through the men. Not understanding it doesn't make it LOLable if you take the Bible seriously for what it says. Can't God do as He pleases? John 17:2 is clear this authority came from God the Father and you seem to be denying that at this point. Why not just go with what the Bbile says?

He isn't comparing Himself to anything. Read it again.

Jesus said He was the true bread, the bread of life, that came from where? Heaven. He isn't comparing Himself to manna. He is explicitly saying He is not that manna, but just like that manna, He came from God.

Jesus is not comparing Himself to manna. And that is utterly faulty reasoning. Let me restate exactly what you said there in a different way and see if you can catch the absurdity of it. "The manna is the food that God sent.That means Jesus is not God."
The manna gave sustenance and life to the Israelites. Jesus, the Bread, said that those who come to him will not be hungry and also have eternal life.

It wasn't Moses who gave the manna, but the Father. In the same way, Jesus is the one whom God sent. The beginning point of the manna and the Bread is the same.

The Israelites who ate the bread would eventually die while on the other hand those who eat the Bread will live forever.

Yes there is a comparison going on here because Jesus is drawing parallels to himself and the bread.

That is because He came as one of us, so He could do for us what He did do for us. When you figure out what He did do for us, then you will know why He had to come as one of us, and also why He had to be eternal life, in order to give it.
So a human did for us what God couldn't do? I think you are missing the point of what Jesus did. Did you know that God doesn't require blood sacrifices to forgive sins? God having given authority to Jesus to forgive sins in turn forgave sins before his crucifixion. There are also other examples of God forgiving sins without sacrifices just because He wanted to.

I asked you to read the whole chapter first. You could not possibly have done so in the time between my asking and your answering. So all you have done is post something as though you know it to be true, without making sure you are correct. Or whether or not your post even makes any sense given the context. I'll wait for you to do that.

I didn't ask for your opinion. I asked you to read the chapter and then tell me what it DOES say and what Jesus meant.
I already know what John 8 is about and what the key points are.

See John chapter 1. Without isolating a scripture and without perverting what is there, or adding to what is not there.
Okay let's do it and after that I will ask you to do the same for some select verses of my choosing. What do you want to look at in John 1?

Let me see if I have this straight. Only a mad man would say what Lewis said about Jesus either being a lunatic or God, because no one in the Bible ever said that. And that no one in the Bible got the wrong idea that Jesus is God? I believe on both counts you are wrong. On one occasion at least He was called possessed by a demon. On another occasion He was said to do His miracles by the power of Satan. As to no one getting the idea that Jesus is God, that is just you projecting.
I mean, that's exactly why Jesus didn't say he's God. He didn't want to sound like a mad man or lie.

Jesus was called unhinged on a number of occasions. In Matt 18 Jesus has just spent a time teaching in a series of parables about the kingdom of heaven and who would go into it and who would not. When He finished he went into the synagogue in His hometown and began teaching, likely the same things or types of things. When we get to 53-57 we find this: "Where did this man get this wisdom and these mighty works? Is not this the carpenter's son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? And are not all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?" And they took offense at him.
Yes. So where did he get his wisdom and mighty works from?

Did any call Him God? Thomas did directly, though I know you have found a way to make that not be so. So don't bother doing it again. The other times He reveals Himself as God, or the Apostles do, you simply don't hear it.
It's debatable what Thomas said, but if we assume that is what Thomas was doing then he was on an island alone. Also, we are not Thomasites, we are Christians so we follow Jesus' teachings.

It's debatable what Thomas said, but if we assume that is what Thomas was doing then he was on an island alone. Also, we are not Thomasites, we are Christians so we follow Jesus' teachings.
it is clear to me that Thomas was addressing God and Jesus.

Jesus does not contradict Himself.

Okay let's do it and after that I will ask you to do the same for some select verses of my choosing
Chapter 1 means chapter 1. Some select verses of your choosing is exactly what I said NOT to do.

Yes there is a comparison going on here because Jesus is drawing parallels to himself and the bread.
Do you know what a parallel is?

a
: something equal or similar in all essential particulars : COUNTERPART
b
: SIMILARITY, ANALOGUE

: a comparison to show resemblance

And don't leave out the reason Jesus said what He did about the manna. It was because they ask for a sign and gave an example of a sign that Moses gave them, as they put it, to show he was from God. Then Jesus explained that it was not Moses who gave them the manna, it was God. Why do you suppose He made that distinction? What was so important about doing that, in that moment and in that conversation? (Hint. It is the same one you are making.)
So a human did for us what God couldn't do?
That is what you are saying, not what I am saying. And it shows clearly that you do not know what Jesus did in actuality, or even why He did it. What is exhibited in remarks like this, is an intellectual assent to Jesus died on the cross for the forgiveness of my sins, for the self interest of not going to hell---or whatever reason one may have. That is ok for a brand new Christian, provided there truly has been a turning to God through Christ from the heart. We don't know what we don't know, and just like a baby in the natural, we must learn and grow.

But at some point, we should come to understand what Jesus did and why, with a bit more maturity and knowledge. It increases our faith, our love of Jesus, and our gratitude. What is one dimensional, becomes increasingly full of depth and breadth. And this has no end while we are on the earth, and we never reach full knowledge of it here. But there should be growth.

It is highly unlikely that this will ever happen under the teaching of Unitarianism, in whatever form. It cannot even be explored from that premise. If it were, the premise would end up in the garbage, and the Unitarian would become a Trinitarian, standing in utter awe at the glory, and power, and love of God that is revealed within the crucifixion.

I have never once heard you teach any sort of gospel. All I see from any Unitarian I have encountered is an attack on the deity of Christ. That seems to be the only interest or purpose. That in itself is very un-Christian---a religion of destruction and an attempt to demolish the foundation Christians are standing on.

It is likely you have never heard what it is that Jesus accomplished, beyond dying on the cross and coming to life again, for the forgiveness of sin. So I will tell you, in a separate post. It will be in a more indepth level than one would preach the gospel to a "newborn", since you already have some biblical knowledge, and therefore, too long to add here. I will put it in a new thread, on the Bible Study board, and direct you to it with an @. I will title it WDJD: What DId Jesus Do? You can read it or not read it. Hear it or stop up your ears. And if you do read it, try and do so minus an attitude of a know it all.

But first, I need a coffee break.

Last edited:
Do you know what a parallel is?

a
: something equal or similar in all essential particulars : COUNTERPART
b
: SIMILARITY, ANALOGUE

: a comparison to show resemblance

And don't leave out the reason Jesus said what He did about the manna. It was because they ask for a sign and gave an example of a sign that Moses gave them, as they put it, to show he was from God. Then Jesus explained that it was not Moses who gave them the manna, it was God. Why do you suppose He made that distinction? What was so important about doing that, in that moment and in that conversation? (Hint. It is the same one you are making.)

That is what you are saying, not what I am saying. And it shows clearly that you do not know what Jesus did in actuality, or even why He did it. What is exhibited in remarks like this, is an intellectual assent to Jesus died on the cross for the forgiveness of my sins, for the self interest of not going to hell---or whatever reason one may have. That is ok for a brand new Christian, provided there truly has been a turning to God through Christ from the heart. We don't know what we don't know, and just like a baby in the natural, we must learn and grow.

But at some point, we should come to understand what Jesus did and why, with a bit more maturity and knowledge. It increases our faith, our love of Jesus, and our gratitude. What is one dimensional, becomes increasingly full of depth and breadth. And this has no end while we are on the earth, and we never reach full knowledge of it here. But there should be growth.

It is highly unlikely that this will ever happen under the teaching of Unitarianism, in whatever form. It cannot even be explored from that premise. If it were, the premise would end up in the garbage, and the Unitarian would become a Trinitarian, standing in utter awe at the glory, and power, and love of God that is revealed within the crucifixion.

I have never once heard you teach any sort of gospel. All I see from any Unitarian I have encountered is an attack on the deity of Christ. That seems to be the only interest or purpose. That in itself is very un-Christian---a religion of destruction and an attempt to demolish the foundation Christians are standing on.

It is likely you have never heard what it is that Jesus accomplished, beyond dying on the cross and coming to life again, for the forgiveness of sin. So I will tell you, in a separate post. It will be in a more indepth level than one would preach the gospel to a "newborn", since you already have some biblical knowledge, and therefore, too long to add here. I will put it in a new thread, on the Bible Study board, and direct you to it with an @. I will title it WDJD: What DId Jesus Do? You can read it or not read it. Hear it or stop up your ears. And if you do read it, try and do so minus an attitude of a know it all.

But first, I need a coffee break.
Jesus said said is the Son of Man, the bread of life, that came down from heaven yes? Being a Son of Man refers to being a human. (Job 25:6, Psalm 80:17, Psalm 144:3, Ezekiel 2:1)

Jesus, the man, didn't literally descend down from the sky. He was born in Bethlehem and his mother is Mary. The point of John 6 is purely symbolic. The manna did actually rain down from the sky though. Sometimes being from heaven is another way of saying someone was sent by God, not that they literally floated down from the sky.

John the Baptist was sent by God, John's water baptism is from heaven, Jesus was sent by God, etc. None of them actually descended from the sky. We still use this kind of talking today. You may hear someone call someone or something a "heaven-sent" because what they are referring to came when it was most useful or necessary.

The point is that none of these people are things are eternal beings or God.

I know you are trying to say that Jesus is God from heaven, but that would be begging the question. It's actually impossible to prove Jesus' deity using the Bible. You are free to believe that, but there are plenty of reasons not to.

Being a Son of Man refers to being a human.
If Son of Man refers to Him being human, what does Son of God refer to?
Jesus, the man, didn't literally descend down from the sky. He was born in Bethlehem and his mother is Mary. The point of John 6 is purely symbolic. The manna did actually rain down from the sky though. Sometimes being from heaven is another way of saying someone was sent by God, not that they literally floated down from the sky.
No one said He floated down from the sky. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
John the Baptist was sent by God, John's water baptism is from heaven, Jesus was sent by God, etc. None of them actually descended from the sky. We still use this kind of talking today. You may hear someone call someone or something a "heaven-sent" because what they are referring to came when it was most useful or necessary.
No one said He descended from the sky or that anyone else did. You aren't making rational arguments. It is just word salad.
The point is that none of these people are things are eternal beings or God.
There is no point made in your jumble of words. You certainly haven't shown that Jesus, who is like no other ever sent by God, is not God. Why didn't/couldn't any others sent by God lay down their lives for sinners? What was different about Jesus that qualified Him?
It's actually impossible to prove Jesus' deity using the Bible. You are free to believe that, but there are plenty of reasons not to.
It has been proven many times over. There is only one reason not to, after having been so often and clearly shown from God's own mouth that Christ is the Almighty God, Everlasting Father, Immanuel. And that is open, willing, rebellion against the Son of God.

If Son of Man refers to Him being human, what does Son of God refer to?
Son of God refers to being God's offspring and it refers to more people than just Jesus.

Luke 20
36Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.

No one said He floated down from the sky. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No one said He descended from the sky or that anyone else did. You aren't making rational arguments. It is just word salad.
Perfect. You have lost a very important point in the validity of your premise. So you cede that Jesus didn't literally pre-exist in heaven.

John 3
13And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

There is no point made in your jumble of words. You certainly haven't shown that Jesus, who is like no other ever sent by God, is not God. Why didn't/couldn't any others sent by God lay down their lives for sinners? What was different about Jesus that qualified Him?
Make your argument about my words, not about me.

It has been proven many times over. There is only one reason not to, after having been so often and clearly shown from God's own mouth that Christ is the Almighty God, Everlasting Father, Immanuel. And that is open, willing, rebellion against the Son of God.
Jesus isn't the Almighty God according to Scripture. The entire Old Testament, Revelation 1:4-8, and Revelation 22:21 are your enemies on this point.

Son of God refers to being God's offspring and it refers to more people than just Jesus.

Luke 20
36Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.
Except Scripture says Jesus is begotten of God and humans are adopted as sons. (Those in this Luke passage are believers---children of the resurrection.)
Romans 9:4 For they are Israelites, and to them belong the adoption, the glory of the covenants---
Eph 1:5 He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will.

Only Jesus is called Son of God. All others are sons of God.
Perfect. You have lost a very important point in the validity of your premise. So you cede that Jesus didn't literally pre-exist in heaven.

John 3
13And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
Descended from heaven isn't descended from the sky. To say He came down from Heaven (who? Ahh, the Son of Man) is to say that He came from God. I ceded nothing and it is disingenuous and irritating (but maybe that is what you are going for) to repeatedly twist a persons words to make it seem like they agree with you when you know they don't.

Also you might be more careful to say what you really mean, instead of losing it in supposed intellectual wording. In that second sentence you have said my premise is valid, when we all know you do not think that it is.
Make your argument about my words, not about me.
My argument is about your words. It only pertains to you because you are the one who said them. So instead of deflecting, why don't you answer the questions that were made in that post. I will give them to you again.
You certainly haven't shown that Jesus, who is like no other ever sent by God, is not God. Why didn't/couldn't any others sent by God lay down their lives for sinners? What was different about Jesus that qualified Him?

Jesus isn't the Almighty God according to Scripture. The entire Old Testament, Revelation 1:4-8, and Revelation 22:21 are your enemies on this point.
Isa (OT) 9:6 For unto us a child is bornm to us a son is gien; and the government shall beupon his shoulder,and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God. Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Rev 1:4-8 should not be made to contradict Is 9:6. You simply interpret it according to your false beliefs. And they are false. A deception.

Rev22:21 The grace of(who?) the Lord Jesus be with you too and thanks.

In case you did not know, the preached gospel both saves and condemns, and so I pray you will stop rejecting it.

Only Jesus is called Son of God. All others are sons of God.
That's right, Jesus is the Son of God, not God.

you cannot tell the difference because Jesus is not your Lord. Your Lord is a triune god.

Don't spread the half-truth, distorting the Truth.

That's right, Jesus is the Son of God, not God.

you cannot tell the difference because Jesus is not your Lord. Your Lord is a triune god.

Don't spread the half-truth, distorting the Truth.
Jesus is my Lord and my God. That is the whole truth.

Back