• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

What triggers the New Birth (Regeneration)?

prism

Asleep in the boat Lu 8:23-24
Reaction score
Faith
Berean (Acts 17:11)
Country
USA
Marital status
Married
Politics
Leans Right
What triggers the new birth?

1.Water Baptism?

2. The Gospel message?

3. Faith in the Gospel message?

4. Depends on the person.

5. God's sovereign, He chooses how.

I would have liked to put this in Poll Form but don't know how.
You can simply answer with a number or a number with an added explanation.

1.Water Baptism?

2. The Gospel message?

God is sovereign, He chooses how----with one note. You slightly changed the question, which was "What triggers the new birth?" Number five should just say God. How is a whole other issue and what you mean by "how" needs to be given options or simply asked as a separate question. And by "how" are you implying that He has more than one way of doing this, or do you mean, or do you really mean "when"?

God is sovereign, He chooses how----with one note. You slightly changed the question, which was "What triggers the new birth?" Number five should just say God. How is a whole other issue and what you mean by "how" needs to be given options or simply asked as a separate question. And by "how" are you implying that He has more than one way of doing this, or do you mean, or do you really mean "when"?
Perhaps I meant 'by what means' does God trigger the new birth? I'm honestly asking and not seeking a debate, just some Scriptural answers in which I can compare my own regeneration.

Perhaps I meant 'by what means' does God trigger the new birth? I'm honestly asking and not seeking a debate, just some Scriptural answers in which I can compare my own regeneration.
By means of the Holy Spirit doing a work in us. Jesus in John 3 compared it to the wind. We hear the sound but we don't know where it is coming from or where it is going. It is also in Eph called a quickening, a bringing to life that which was dead in trespasses and sins. It is a spiritual awakening to understand spiritual things that before were foolishness to us. 1 Cor 2:14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God,for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

How? By the same power that raised Jesus from the dead, living in us, who will also give life to our mortal bodies. The Holy Spirit.

I am not sure what you are looking for. Are you trying to pinpoint and recognize the moment of your regeneration in order to understand it better?

1.Water Baptism?

2. The Gospel message?

#2 The working principle of being made alive in Christ (Rom 8) is understanding that our debt is cleared up by the crediting of Christ to us. This engenders a love, from a person made alive by that love. Very different from keeping commands so that you can one day tell God He is obligated to you for X.

The reason I would not choose 3 is that it implies a self-conscious awareness that you are believing on Christ. Well, in a real explanation of the Gospel, we are hopefully overwhelmed by the love of God for us that we are only thinking about that, and not some mechanism or technique of faith in relation to that, even though we are believing.

We do need to tone down awareness of 'being born again.' Here is an expression used 3 times only in the NT, and one of those is a clear-cut instruction to a leader of Judaism that you must be born 'from anothen' to understand the kingdom/reign of Christ. 'Anothen' is more about what was 'from the beginning' or 'from above' than a repetition. In Israel's world, that beginning might just be Abraham, if not creation. But the point seemed to be that God was working redemptively through Abraham to produce a
Seed who would bless all nations. It was now here. Since you could not look out the window and see a building where the kingdom's offices were, Jesus meant that a change of mind from Judaism was needed to understand. He might as well have said (and did elsewhere) that 'it will not come by signs to be observed.' "You won't say 'see there it is' or 'here it is'". He then went on to explain justification.

Last edited:
Acts 16:14
A woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple fabrics, a worshiper of God, was listening;
and the Lord opened her heart to respond to the things spoken by Paul.

#2 The working principle of being made alive in Christ (Rom 8) is understanding that our debt is cleared up by the crediting of Christ to us. This engenders a love, from a person made alive by that love. Very different from keeping commands so that you can one day tell God He is obligated to you for X.

The reason I would not choose 3 is that it implies a self-conscious awareness that you are believing on Christ. Well, in a real explanation of the Gospel, we are hopefully overwhelmed by the love of God for us that we are only thinking about that, and not some mechanism or technique of faith in relation to that, even though we are believing.

We do need to tone down awareness of 'being born again.' Here is an expression used 3 times only in the NT, and one of those is a clear-cut instruction to a leader of Judaism that you must be born 'from anothen' to understand the kingdom/reign of Christ. 'Anothen' is more about what was 'from the beginning' or 'from above' than a repetition. In Israel's world, that beginning might just be Abraham, if not creation. But the point seemed to be that God was working redemptively through Abraham to produce a
Seed who would bless all nations. It was now here. Since you could not look out the window and see a building where the kingdom's offices were, Jesus meant that a change of mind from Judaism was needed to understand. He might as well have said (and did elsewhere) that 'it will not come by signs to be observed.' "You won't say 'see there it is' or 'here it is'". He then went on to explain justification.

Thinking about the changed life can obscure what changes lives.

1.Water Baptism?

2. The Gospel message?

God's timing, for God's own purposes.

At that time when you were really drawn to the word of God and, like the spiritually newborn babe that you were, craved spiritual milk (1 Pe 2:2).

What is an abstention? I voted #2.
Ok, you didn't abstain from anything. Sorry, I was trying to figure out the last half of you response (post #6). Thank you.

5. God's sovereignty, He chooses how (when, where, and why).
The apostles administer the kingdom!

You cannot enter on your own no diy religion or covenant!

Jn 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

2 pet 1: 11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Apostles minister the new birth by water and the spirit, baptism!

2 Corinthians 8:19
And not that only, but who was also chosen of the churches to travel with us with this grace, which is administered by us to the glory of the same Lord, and declaration of your ready mind:

Then abide in Christ in a state f grace!

1 Peter 5:12
By Silvanus, a faithful brother unto you, as I suppose, I have written briefly, exhorting, and testifying that this is the true grace of God wherein ye stand.

In believing until the end (death)
Jn 3:16 Jn 15:4 Mk 13:13 Matt 24:13

Thanks

#5 God
... where "God" is the ultimate cause which is sometimes referred to as the First Cause.
God also uses "secondary causes" like:
  • hearing the salvific gospel and
  • a preacher preaching said gospel and
  • enabling you ears and mind to intercept the gospel and
  • causing you to live long enough to hear the gospel and
  • yahda, yahda
... where all "secondary causes" are also caused by God.

... and even after all the other secondary causes occur one still won't be born again til God gives one the ability to discern/appreciate the gospel:
14 But the natural [unbelieving] man does not accept the things [the teachings and revelations] of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness [absurd and illogical] to him; and he is incapable of understanding them, because they are spiritually discerned and appreciated, [and he is unqualified to judge spiritual matters].

or looking at the question from a different perspective ....before God created time (before the foundation of the earth) God has eternally chosen His children and since His decree is eternal, there is no triggering mechanism; it's always been a "done deal".

What's the subject of this op?

New birth by faith and baptism!
The op says differently. It does not specify or limit its answer to its own question to "by faith and baptism." Give Post #4 a read.

You cannot enter on your own no diy religion or covenant!

Jn 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

2 pet 1: 11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Apostles minister the new birth by water and the spirit, baptism!

2 Corinthians 8:19
And not that only, but who was also chosen of the churches to travel with us with this grace, which is administered by us to the glory of the same Lord, and declaration of your ready mind:

Then abide in Christ in a state f grace!

1 Peter 5:12
By Silvanus, a faithful brother unto you, as I suppose, I have written briefly, exhorting, and testifying that this is the true grace of God wherein ye stand.

In believing until the end (death)
Jn 3:16 Jn 15:4 Mk 13:13 Matt 24:13

Thanks
What's the subject of this op?
New birth by faith and baptism!
What does Post 15 have to do with Post 1?

Or did you come here to hijack the thread and make it all about Roman Catholicism?
Perhaps I meant 'by what means' does God trigger the new birth?
5. God's sovereignty, He chooses how (when, where, and why).
Can you now see the problem?

#5 God
... where "God" is the ultimate cause which is sometimes referred to as the First Cause.
God also uses "secondary causes" like:
  • hearing the salvific gospel and
  • a preacher preaching said gospel and
  • enabling you ears and mind to intercept the gospel and
  • causing you to live long enough to hear the gospel and
  • yahda, yahda
... where all "secondary causes" are also caused by God.

... and even after all the other secondary causes occur one still won't be born again til God gives one the ability to discern/appreciate the gospel:
14 But the natural [unbelieving] man does not accept the things [the teachings and revelations] of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness [absurd and illogical] to him; and he is incapable of understanding them, because they are spiritually discerned and appreciated, [and he is unqualified to judge spiritual matters].

or looking at the question from a different perspective ....before God created time (before the foundation of the earth) God has eternally chosen His children and since His decree is eternal, there is no triggering mechanism; it's always been a "done deal".
Would His Word be considered a secondary cause?

1 Peter 1:23 NKJV
having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever,

Back