• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

The only true God (John 17:3) - The only Master (Jude 4)

Fred

Well Known Member
Reaction score
John 17:3
This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

Whenever the "true God" is used in the Bible it is always used in contradistinction with idols.

2 Chronicles 15:3, 8
(3) For many days Israel was without the true God and without a teaching priest and without law.
(8) Now when Asa heard these words and the prophecy which Azariah the son of Oded the prophet spoke, he took courage and removed the abominable idols from all the land of Judah and Benjamin and from the cities which he had captured in the hill country of Ephraim. He then restored the altar of the LORD which was in front of the porch of the LORD.

Jeremiah 10:10-11
(10) But the LORD is the true God;
He is the living God and the everlasting King.
At His wrath the earth quakes,
And the nations cannot endure His indignation.
(11) Thus you shall say to them, “The gods that did not make the heavens and the earth will perish from the earth and from under the heavens.”

1 Thessalonians 1:9
For they themselves report about us what kind of a reception we had with you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve a living and true God.

1 John 5:20-21
(20) And we know that the Son of God has come, and has given us understanding so that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.
(21) Little children, guard yourselves from idols.

The Lord Jesus is not ruling out that He is God in John 17:3, but He is contrasting that the Father is the only true God in comparison with all idols.
a. BDAG (3rd Edition): of God in contrast to other deities, who are not real J 17:3 (alēthinos, page 43)
b. Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament: the one, true God, in contrast with the polytheism of the Gentiles (ginōskō, page 117).

The same Greek word for only (monos) as found in John 17:3 is used in Jude 4.

Master (despotēs)
Jude 4

For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.
Acts 4:24
When they heard this, they all raised their voices to God and said, Master, You are the One who made the heaven, the earth, and the sea, and everything in them. (HCSB)

There is only one who is the despotēs which every Christian has.
If a person who denies the Lord Jesus is God responds in this thread, then please answer this question in your first response:
---> Who is the only Master (despotēs) of every Christian?
a. If a Unitarian affirms the Father is the only despotēs of every Christian, then that would contradict Jude 4.
b. If a Unitarian affirms the Lord Jesus is the only despotēs of every Christian, then that would contradict Acts 4:24.
c. If a Unitarian affirms both the Father and the Lord Jesus are the only despotēs of every Christian, then say good-bye to Unitarianism.

Last edited:
John 17:3
This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

Whenever the "true God" is used in the Bible it is always used in contradistinction with idols.

2 Chronicles 15:3, 8
(3) For many days Israel was without the true God and without a teaching priest and without law.
(8) Now when Asa heard these words and the prophecy which Azariah the son of Oded the prophet spoke, he took courage and removed the abominable idols from all the land of Judah and Benjamin and from the cities which he had captured in the hill country of Ephraim. He then restored the altar of the LORD which was in front of the porch of the LORD.

Jeremiah 10:10-11
(10) But the LORD is the true God;
He is the living God and the everlasting King.
At His wrath the earth quakes,
And the nations cannot endure His indignation.
(11) Thus you shall say to them, “The gods that did not make the heavens and the earth will perish from the earth and from under the heavens.”

1 Thessalonians 1:9
For they themselves report about us what kind of a reception we had with you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve a living and true God.

1 John 5:20-21
(20) And we know that the Son of God has come, and has given us understanding so that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.
(21) Little children, guard yourselves from idols.

The Lord Jesus is not ruling out that He is God in John 17:3, but He is contrasting that the Father is the only true God in comparison with all idols.
a. BDAG (3rd Edition): of God in contrast to other deities, who are not real J 17:3 (alēthinos, page 43)
b. Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament: the one, true God, in contrast with the polytheism of the Gentiles (ginōskō, page 117).

The same Greek word for only (monos) as found in John 17:3 is used in Jude 4.

Master (despotēs)
Jude 4

For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.
Acts 4:24
When they heard this, they all raised their voices to God and said, Master, You are the One who made the heaven, the earth, and the sea, and everything in them. (HCSB)

There is only one who is the despotēs which every Christian has.
If a person who denies the Lord Jesus is God responds in this thread, then please answer this question in your first response:
a. If a Unitarian affirms the Father is the only despotēs of every Christian, then that would contradict Jude 4.
b. If a Unitarian affirms the Lord Jesus is the only despotēs of every Christian, then that would contradict Acts 4:24.
c. If a Unitarian affirms both the Father and the Lord Jesus are the only despotēs of every Christian, then say good-bye to Unitarianism.

That's hilarious. John 17:3 disproves the deity of Jesus and sets the Father as the Only true God. The trinity just got trashed by Jesus.

John 17
1When Jesus had spoken these things, He lifted up His eyes to heaven and said, “Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son may glorify You. 2For You granted Him authority over all people, so that He may give eternal life to all those You have given Him. 3Now this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent.

That's hilarious.

It is because you ignored the question I asked at the bottom of the OP.

Classic.

Here's what I wrote:

Here's your second chance to answer it.

It is because you ignored the question I asked at the bottom of the OP.

Classic.

Here's what I wrote:

Here's your second chance to answer it.
You don't need to be entertained if you still haven't figured out who the only true God is. More enabling for you to pursue your idol is not what you need right now.

The question from the OP remains unanswered.
This will get you on the right track.

1 Cor 3
23and you belong to Christ, and Christ belongs to God.

See post 5.
It answers your question. There is a divine hierarchy. The church belongs to Jesus, he is the head of the church. The head of Christ is God because Jesus belongs to God.

Col 1
18And He is the head of the body, the church...

1 Cor 11
3...the head of Christ is God.

It answers your question. There is a divine hierarchy. The church belongs to Jesus, he is the head of the church. The head of Christ is God because Jesus belongs to God.

Col 1
18And He is the head of the body, the church...

1 Cor 11
3...the head of Christ is God.

Vague.

Let me help you out of your deception.

The only Master (despotēs) of every Christian is _________.

Now fill in the blank.

Vague.

Let me help you out of your deception.

The only Master (despotēs) of every Christian is _________.

Now fill in the blank.
Stop dodging. The burden of proof is on you here.

If you claim Jesus is God then you need to bolster your premise so that your misunderstanding of scripture can be sorted out. The head of Jesus is God. Jesus belongs to God. That means Jesus isn't God.

Ephesians 4
5one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Tell yourself that because you keep hiding from answering the question from the OP.

I spoon fed you in post 9 and you still refuse to do it.
You opened a thread, made some claims, and you are making this too easy for me. Are you going to support your position or keep trying to shift the burden to me?

You opened a thread, made some claims,

and asked a question near the end of the OP which you keep running from.

Keep hiding.

This is great. We are almost at page 2.

and asked a question near the end of the OP which you keep running from.

Keep hiding.

This is great. We are almost at page 2.
I am challenging your claims and you have done nothing except continue to dodge. You're trying to get me to answer the questions you need to be exegeting in regards to the numerous challenges against your interpretation. If you got nothing, then you don't have a point. Respond with something meaningful or we're done here.

Almost page 2 and OP refuses to exegete his claims in regards to the numerous challenges. What a joke. I won't be responding to your threads. They don't need attention if you can't engage others in meaningful ways.

8 responses from an individual who denies the Lord Jesus is God, but this keeps getting ignored even though I put it in boldface from the OP:

I even wrote please.

If there is any other person who denies the Lord Jesus is God who can actually follow a simple request, then by all means do so.

Back