• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

What does "Deity of Christ" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first I recall hearing anyone use John 5:41 for such a use. Not that there aren't any, but I've never even seen a commentary to use the language, "I do not receive glory from man," to mean that the Son of God does not accept prayer nor worship. That's not even what it says.

While I don't like paraphrases, here they do give a good sense of what he was saying, in context: "I am not looking for human praise." (Good News Translation) ; "I do not receive glory and approval from men" (Amplified Bible) Read the context.

Take a look at the link here, on right side of the page, for cross references (yes, applicable from THEIR point-of-view, which is not authoritative, but it does show that your use of the verse is an outlier, opposing consensus).

Your comment is not logical.

2 Timothy 4:18
(The Lord / Yahwah) will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To (him / Yahwah) be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Thanks for pointing out 2 Timothy 4:18 because the "Lord" in this passage refers to Jesus which demonstrates He is YHWH.

2 Timothy 4:17-18
(17) But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that through me the proclamation might be fully accomplished, and that all the Gentiles might hear; and I was rescued out of the lion's mouth.
(18) The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed, and will bring me safely to His heavenly kingdom; to Him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

"The Lord" in verse 18 is the same "Lord" in verse 17.
In verse 17 the Greek word for "strengthened" (endynamoō) is used only two other times in Paul's' letters to Timothy and both times are in association with the Lord Jesus.

1 Timothy 1:12
I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service
2 Timothy 2:1
You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.

Furthermore, just as the Lord Jesus "rescued" (rhyomai) Paul from the lion's mouth (4:17), He will "rescue" (rhyomai) Paul from every evil deed (4:18).

Notice further that the mention of "His heavenly kingdom" in 2 Timothy 4:18 points back to 2 Timothy 4:1 in reference to Jesus.
2 Timothy 4:1
I solemnly charge thee therefore before God, and Jesus Christ, who shall judge the living and the dead at His appearing and kingdom.
2 Timothy 4:18
And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil deed, and preserve me unto His heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

Last edited:
Overturned by John 16 where Jesus indicated he is not the proper recipient of prayer.

John 16
23In that day you will no longer ask Me anything. Truly, truly, I tell you, whatever you ask the Father in My name, He will give you.

Your heretical approach of pitting one Scripture against another was already upended.

Thanks for making this so easy for me.

Your heretical approach of pitting one Scripture against another was already upended.

Thanks for making this so easy for me.
Chronologically, what Jesus said in John 16 supersedes what was said in John 14. Therefore Jesus isn't the proper recipient of prayer. Next.

John 16
23In that day you will no longer ask Me anything. Truly, truly, I tell you, whatever you ask the Father in My name, He will give you.

Which doesn't contradict prayers to Jesus as taught in John 14:14. Your ransom note response ignores this fact.

You would first have to identify whose thoughts are in my name I will do it it's obviously eternal God not Jesus the Son of man

If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back