• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

The New Testament refers to Jesus as "God"

Fred

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Which passages refer to Jesus as "God"?

Matthew 1:23
Behold, the virgin shall be with Child, and shall bring forth a Son, and they shall call His Name Immanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Luke 8:39
Return to thine own house, and show how great things God hath done unto thee.
And he went his way, and published throughout the whole city how great things Jesus had done unto him.

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:18
No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten God, who is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him.

John 10:33
The Jews answered Him, saying, For a good work we stone Thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that Thou, being a man, makest Thyself God.

John 20:28
And Thomas answered and said unto Him, My Lord and my God.

Acts 20:28
Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Spirit hath made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God, which He purchased with His own blood.

Romans 9:5
Whose are the fathers, and from whom is the Christ according to the flesh, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.

Titus 2:13-14
Looking for the blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ; Who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds.

Hebrews 1:8
But unto the Son He saith, Thy throne, O God, is forever and ever: a scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Thy kingdom.

2 Peter 1:1
Simon Peter, a slave and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have obtained a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ.

1 John 5:20
And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know Him who is true, and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

Which passages refer to Jesus as "God"?

Matthew 1:23
Behold, the virgin shall be with Child, and shall bring forth a Son, and they shall call His Name Immanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Luke 8:39
Return to thine own house, and show how great things God hath done unto thee.
And he went his way, and published throughout the whole city how great things Jesus had done unto him.

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:18
No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten God, who is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him.

John 10:33
The Jews answered Him, saying, For a good work we stone Thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that Thou, being a man, makest Thyself God.

John 20:28
And Thomas answered and said unto Him, My Lord and my God.

Acts 20:28
Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Spirit hath made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God, which He purchased with His own blood.

Romans 9:5
Whose are the fathers, and from whom is the Christ according to the flesh, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.

Titus 2:13-14
Looking for the blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ; Who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds.

Hebrews 1:8
But unto the Son He saith, Thy throne, O God, is forever and ever: a scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Thy kingdom.

2 Peter 1:1
Simon Peter, a slave and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have obtained a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ.

1 John 5:20
And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know Him who is true, and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

I would like to point out the the Catholics and scholars took liberties, and often gave "INTERPRETATIONS" to what was actually written. Yahwah is our "Savior," and Yahshua is the "Deliverer."

The Jews were expecting a (elohiym / god of The Living One.) The Jews were not looking for God Himself to show.
John 10
33 “We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”
34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods”’? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world?

Psalm 82:6
“I said, ‘You are “gods”; you are all sons of the Most High.’
(elohiym / god-s of The Living One.)

The Jews were not looking for God Himself to show.

That's their own fault to those who didn't because the Messiah would fully knows the hearts of all (Isaiah 11:3-4), which the Bible teaches that God alone knows (1 Kings 8:39).

That's their own fault to those who didn't because the Messiah would fully knows the hearts of all (Isaiah 11:3-4), which the Bible teaches that God alone knows (1 Kings 8:39).
If Christ does judge, it is according to the Judgement of Yahwah.
John 8:16
And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.

The New Testament refers to Jesus as "God"​

Among countless other proofs that Jesus is not God, perhaps the one of the clearest examples is he simply denied it.

“Why do you call Me good?” Jesus replied. “No one is good except God alone” – Luke 18:19

“Why do you ask Me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good.” – Matthew 19:17

If Christ does judge, it is according to the Judgement of Yahwah.
John 8:16
And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.

Sure, Christ always does things in accordance with the Father.

But to fully know the hearts of all applies to God alone.

That the Lord Jesus knows the exact same thing in equality with the Father demonstrates Jesus is God.

Among countless other proofs that Jesus is not God, perhaps the one of the clearest examples is he simply denied it.

“Why do you call Me good?” Jesus replied. “No one is good except God alone” – Luke 18:19

“Why do you ask Me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good.” – Matthew 19:17

You are in error, because asking doesn't necessitate denying.

I am an American.
I went to South Korea in the 1990’s to teach English in a not too big of a city. When some children would see me, they would say, "Miguk saramimnida!" (미국 사람입니다!) meaning "You are an American!" However, they did this to many foreigners. Had I been able to speak Korean to them at that time I would have asked them "Why do you call me an American?" or "What makes you say that I am an American?" In both questions I am simply asking them the reason why they are calling me an American, but at no time was I denying being an American.
Once again, asking doesn't necessitate a denial.

Jesus affirmed that God alone is good, but He is not denying He is good nor is He denying being God. He is saying "God alone" is good, but that doesn't mean Jesus excludes Himself from being good or from being God.

Revelation 15:4
Who will not fear, O Lord, and glorify Your name?
For You alone are holy;
For all the nations will come and worship before You,
For Your righteous acts have been revealed.

God alone is good in that He alone is absolutely holy. His holiness and goodness correspond to one another. Since the Lord Jesus is absolutely holy proves He is 'good' in that He is God. Notice from Revelation 15:4 the holiness of God links with Him being worshiped. None but God should be worshiped, because none but God is absolutely holy (= good). The Lord Jesus is the proper recipient of worship in equality with the Father (Revelation 5:13-14) which demonstrates the Lord Jesus is absolutely holy/good (= God).

Mark 10:18 -------------------------> Revelation 15:4
No one is good except God alone = You alone are holy

Last edited:
Sure, Christ always does things in accordance with the Father.

But to fully know the hearts of all applies to God alone.

That the Lord Jesus knows the exact same thing in equality with the Father demonstrates Jesus is God.
Jude 1:25
to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.

Who is equal to God?
Philippians 2:6 Commentary.

Isaiah 40:25
“To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?” says the Holy One.

Isaiah 46:5
“With whom will you compare me or count me equal? To whom will you liken me that we may be compared?

Philippians 2:5-7
5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Yahshua: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

That word "equal" could be translated in other words, such as, "equated," or "counted," or "equality." If Yahshua states that "The Father is greater than I" and refers to his Father in prayer as "You, the only true God." It then is obvious that he's not equal to the one who sent him. "God exalted him," he did not exalt himself.

Here is an alternate reading of Philippians 2:6. Who being in the form of God did not think equality with God as obtainable.
The alternate translation must be correct, because thinking of yourself as equal to God is not humble. Besides that, it would be a contradiction to other scriptures.

John 10:29
My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand.

John 13:16

Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.

John 14:28

“You heard me say, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.

John 17:3
Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

No I’m correct.

“why do you call me good? = Jesus

“There is none good except God alone” = not Jesus

This is a denial of deity in every language and culture. Everyone who reads this, unmotivated by religious bias, concludes that Jesus isn’t himself God. I know, because I’ve surveyed many people about it. Yours is a minority opinion and a false one.

No I’m correct.

Fred answered you correctly.

Runningman: Among countless other proofs that Jesus is not God, perhaps the one of the clearest examples is he simply denied it.​
Fred: You are in error, because asking doesn't necessitate denying.​
Jesus affirmed that God alone is good, but He is not denying He is good nor is He denying being God. He is saying "God alone" is good, but that doesn't mean Jesus excludes Himself from being good or from being God.​

Here is the thing, you, as a Unitarian, would only see Matthew 19:17 as an opaque context similar to a first century Jew because you deny that Jesus Christ is God. While Fred, on the other hand, is see Luke 18:19 from an extensional context because he affirms that Jesus Christ is God. Read the OP for extensional context.

If you take an unbiased person who has no concept of both "Jesus Christ is God" and "Jesus Christ is not God," and then, you isolate Matthew 19:17 and Luke 18:19 from the whole of Scriptures (John 1:1, 18, Colossians 2:9, Hebrews 1:8, John 8:58-59, John 5:18, 10:31-33, 2 Peter 1:1, John 20:28, 1 John 5:20, Titus 2:13, Romans 9:5) for extensional context that unbiased person might draw that conclusion. Take the example of Clark Kent and Superman, we considered to be co-referential expressions of the self-same person. That doesn’t mean that people’s knowledge of them is also identical. They don't have that extensional context. I, and you, we both know that Clark Kent is, in fact, Superman. Even though you can trivially say that “people know that Superman is Superman only," it won’t necessarily be truthful to say that “people know that Clark Kent is Superman” (substitute “Superman” with “Clark Kent”), because what people know about Superman isn’t identical to what people know about Clark Kent. So, whatever survey you did or didn't do wasn't accurate and misleading.

For instance, consider the following example of an opaque context:

Premise 1: Lois Lane thinks Superman can fly.
Premise 2: Lois Lane thinks Clark Kent cannot fly.
Conclusion: Therefore Superman and Clark Kent are not the same person.
Why? Because Lois Lane doesn't have extensional context like me, and you do.

to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.

Through Jesus includes to Jesus, for He is the proper recipient of doxologies as well (2 Timothy 4:18; 2 Peter 3:18; Revelation 1:6).

That word "equal" could be translated in other words, such as, "equated," or "counted," or "equality." If Yahshua states that "The Father is greater than I" and refers to his Father in prayer as "You, the only true God." It then is obvious that he's not equal to the one who sent him. "God exalted him," he did not exalt himself.

The Greek word ἴσον (isos) or equal is mentioned eight times in the New Testament, and two times in reference to the Son (John 5:18, Philippians 2:6). For example, "only God our Savior" (Jude 25) is in reference to the Father, and "our God and Savior Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 1:1) is in reference to the Son. The Son is being on the same value level equally with the Father. Because the Son possesses those godness qualities that the Father alone possesses as being "God" and "Savior."

2470 ísos – equality; having the same (similar) level or value; equivalent, equal in substance or quality (J. Thayer).​

That doesn't help your case, because subordination is part of the frameworks. A Hypostatic Unionists take the whole of Scriptures into consideration, like "I am my Father are one" (John 10:30) according to the Divine Nature is equal, and "Father is greater than I" (John 14:28) according to the human nature is subordinate. We don't restrict and isolate all the subordinate verses from the equality verses. Then go around claiming, "see, Jesus Christ not God." Rather, what we do is say, "Jesus Christ is both equal and subordinate." I've refuted a Unitarian for applying that same illogical method here.

Take an example of Omniscience:

a. The Father knows all things (1 John 3:20)
The Son knows all things (John 16:30, 21:17)

b. The Father knows the Son (Matthew 11:27)
The Son knows the Father (Matthew 11:27, John 7:29, 8:55, 10:15, 17:25)

c. The Father knows all people (Psalm 139:1-4)
The Son knows all people (John 2:24-25, Matthew 9:4, Mark 2:8, Luke 5:22, John 6:64)

d. Nothing is hidden from the Father (Hebrews 4:13)
Nothing is hidden from the Son (Luke 5:4-6, Matthew 17:27)

Me too, but he has been dodging for quite some time now.

This isn't surprising.

True enough. I'm not holding my breath though...
I also would like to see him demonstrate a logical conjunction.

Through Jesus includes to Jesus, for He is the proper recipient of doxologies as well (2 Timothy 4:18; 2 Peter 3:18; Revelation 1:6).
Rev 1:6. and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to Him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.

Questionable translation:
2 Peter 3:18. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our (Lord?) and (Savior / Deliverer) Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.

2 Timothy 4:18. (The Lord?) will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

With him and the word above would be like mixing oil and water.

Hmmm I meant to say, "negated conjunction."
I suppose we could light a match and run like the ginger breadman.

Rev 1:6. and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to Him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.

Questionable translation:
2 Peter 3:18. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our (Lord?) and (Savior / Deliverer) Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.

2 Timothy 4:18. (The Lord?) will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

1. This is not the first time you are confused about the use of pronouns and to whom they refer to.

The "Him" in Revelation 1:6 refers to Jesus. The singular pronouns in Revelation 1:5 continue to refer to the Lord Jesus in Revelation 1:6 and Revelation 1:7.
Revelation 1:5-7
(5) and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him who loves us and released us from our sins by His blood—
(6) and He has made us to be a kingdom, priests to His God and Father—to Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.
(7) Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him. So it is to be. Amen.

2. There is nothing questionable about the Lord Jesus being the proper recipient of the doxology in 2 Peter 3:18.

2 Timothy 4:17-18
(17) But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that through me the proclamation might be fully accomplished, and that all the Gentiles might hear; and I was rescued out of the lion's mouth.
(18) The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed, and will bring me safely to His heavenly kingdom; to Him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

The Lord Jesus who "stood" with Paul in Acts 23:11 is the same Lord that had continually "stood" with him throughout his life (2 Timothy 4:17).
Acts 23:11
But on the night immediately following, the Lord stood at his side and said, “Take courage; for as you have solemnly witnessed to My cause at Jerusalem, so you must witness at Rome also.”

In verse 17 the Greek word for "strengthened" (endynamoō) is used only two other times in Paul's' letters to Timothy and both times are in reference to the Lord Jesus.
1 Timothy 1:12
I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service
2 Timothy 2:1
You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.

Just as the Lord Jesus "rescued" (rhyomai) Paul from the lion's mouth (4:17), He will "rescue" (rhyomai) Paul from every evil deed (4:18).

Last edited:
Back