• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

The New Testament refers to Jesus as "God"

Asking does not necessitate denying.
Someone called Jesus good and then Jesus' answer was no, the one who is good is God. Therefore Jesus is not God. He denied being God.

Someone called Jesus good and then Jesus' answer was no,

The boldface above is mine of your quote.

The word "no" is your delusion.
Jesus said "no one is good except God."
That does not necessitate a denial of Jesus being God.

Fred answered you correctly.

Runningman: Among countless other proofs that Jesus is not God, perhaps the one of the clearest examples is he simply denied it.​
Fred: You are in error, because asking doesn't necessitate denying.​
Jesus affirmed that God alone is good, but He is not denying He is good nor is He denying being God. He is saying "God alone" is good, but that doesn't mean Jesus excludes Himself from being good or from being God.​

Here is the thing, you, as a Unitarian, would only see Matthew 19:17 as an opaque context similar to a first century Jew because you deny that Jesus Christ is God. While Fred, on the other hand, is see Luke 18:19 from an extensional context because he affirms that Jesus Christ is God. Read the OP for extensional context.

If you take an unbiased person who has no concept of both "Jesus Christ is God" and "Jesus Christ is not God," and then, you isolate Matthew 19:17 and Luke 18:19 from the whole of Scriptures (John 1:1, 18, Colossians 2:9, Hebrews 1:8, John 8:58-59, John 5:18, 10:31-33, 2 Peter 1:1, John 20:28, 1 John 5:20, Titus 2:13, Romans 9:5) for extensional context that unbiased person might draw that conclusion. Take the example of Clark Kent and Superman, we considered to be co-referential expressions of the self-same person. That doesn’t mean that people’s knowledge of them is also identical. They don't have that extensional context. I, and you, we both know that Clark Kent is, in fact, Superman. Even though you can trivially say that “people know that Superman is Superman only," it won’t necessarily be truthful to say that “people know that Clark Kent is Superman” (substitute “Superman” with “Clark Kent”), because what people know about Superman isn’t identical to what people know about Clark Kent. So, whatever survey you did or didn't do wasn't accurate and misleading.

For instance, consider the following example of an opaque context:

Premise 1: Lois Lane thinks Superman can fly.
Premise 2: Lois Lane thinks Clark Kent cannot fly.
Conclusion: Therefore Superman and Clark Kent are not the same person.
Why? Because Lois Lane doesn't have extensional context like me, and you do.
The common sense reading of Mark 10:18 is that Jesus denied being God. Read it again:

Mark 10​
18“Why do you call Me good?” Jesus replied. “No one is good except God alone.​

Person 1 = Jesus
Person 2 = God

Person 1 denies being good but instead calls person person 2 the one who is good. That plainly means Jesus is not the one who is good, but God is and that isn't himself. I even added some color. The blue person isn't the red person.

Try it out:

In the play sentence, do you see that Tom denied being commendable by saying that Ted alone is commendable?

“Why do you call me commendable?” Tom replied. “No one is commendable except Ted alone."

The boldface above is mine of your quote.

The word "no" is your delusion.
Jesus said "no one" is good except God.
Mark 10
18“Why do you call Me good?” Jesus replied. “No one is good except God alone.

God alone isn't Jesus. John 17:1-3 says the the Father is the true God and that Jesus is the one He sent. That clearly means Jesus isn't God.

Mark 10:18 Jesus flatly denied being God. It doesn't get any clearer than that. The readers who stumble upon your thread will at least be given a chance to not be taken into idolatry like you are.

Nope. Wrong again.

That is not a denial.
No this is correct. When Jesus said none is good except God alone then that means Jesus was denying being God. No one in the Bible believes Jesus is God. There aren't any examples of this in all of scripture.

Mark 10
18“Why do you call Me good?” Jesus replied. “No one is good except God alone.

Keep quoting all day long, but it does not necessitate a denial on the part of Jesus.

No this is correct. When Jesus said none is good except God alone then that means Jesus was denying being God.

Wrong. It means Jesus is saying only God is good.

Your heresy has to slip in that it is a denial but the text doesn't say that.

If someone claims that I am an American and I ask why they are calling me that, it doesn't mean I am denying being an American.
Simple logic refutes your confusion so easily.

Wrong. It means Jesus is saying only God is good.

Your heresy has to slip in that it is a denial but the text doesn't say that.
Jesus was called good then he redirected that goodness to someone else who isn't himself. Jesus isn't God bro. Yes I will repeat it as often as necessary.

Jesus was called good then he redirected that goodness to someone else

Assumption on your part.

Jesus can be saying that by the man calling Him good he was calling Him God.
Jesus didn't deny being good and He didn't deny being God.

You read that into the text when the text doesn't say that.

Assumption on your part.

Jesus can be saying that by the man calling Him good he was calling Him God.
Jesus didn't deny being good and He didn't deny being God.

You read that into the text when the text doesn't say that.
Jesus' words aren't going away. There is no way Mark 10:18 will somehow turn into Jesus claiming to be God because he was denying it. Jesus never directly claimed to be God, never asked anyone to worship him, never asked anyone to pray to him, and in several instances directly denied being God. I haven't even gone on to all of the other denials yet.

Not good news for you. You keep saying Jesus is God when he denied it. He denied it repeatedly.

Contrary to the false accusations that he is claiming to be God, Jesus denied that and said he is the Son of God.

John 10
33“We are not stoning You for any good work,” said the Jews, “but for blasphemy, because You, who are a man, declare Yourself to be God.”

34Jesus replied, “Is it not written in your Law: ‘I have said you are gods’d? 35If he called them gods to whom the word of God came—and the Scripture cannot be broken— 36then what about the One whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world? How then can you accuse Me of blasphemy for stating that I am the Son of God?

John 5:41
I do not accept (praise,worship, glory) from human beings,
Matthew 4:10
Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship (the Lord / Yahwah) your God, and serve him only.’”

Luke 4:8
Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship (the Lord / Yahwah) your God and serve him only.’”

Exodus 20:3
3 “You shall have no other (gods / elohiym) (before / besides) me.

Asking does not necessitate a denial.
If you asked me about what’s good and I said there is none good except God then it’s a denial that I am God. Jesus denied being God.

John 5:41
I do not accept (praise,worship, glory) from human beings,
Matthew 4:10
Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship (the Lord / Yahwah) your God, and serve him only.’”

Luke 4:8
Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship (the Lord / Yahwah) your God and serve him only.’”

Exodus 20:3
3 “You shall have no other (gods / elohiym) (before / besides) me.
Great and Psalm 110:1 proves Jesu isn’t YHWH. Case closed.

The common sense reading of Mark 10:18 is that Jesus denied being God. Read it again:

Mark 10​
18“Why do you call Me good?” Jesus replied. “No one is good except God alone.​

Person 1 = Jesus
Person 2 = God

Person 1 denies being good but instead calls person person 2 the one who is good. That plainly means Jesus is not the one who is good, but God is and that isn't himself. I even added some color. The blue person isn't the red person.

Try it out:

In the play sentence, do you see that Tom denied being commendable by saying that Ted alone is commendable?

“Why do you call me commendable?” Tom replied. “No one is commendable except Ted alone."

You've failed miserably at basic interpretation.

This verse has been used in debates about Jesus' divinity. Some suggest that Jesus is denying He is God. Others think that Jesus is trying to reveal to the man that He is God. (BibleRef: Mark 10:18).​

Context is key:
1). The rich man asked Jesus Christ: "What good thing he must do to have eternal life?" (Matthew 19:16, Mark 10:17, Luke 18:18).

2). Jesus Christ asked him a question: "Why you want me to call you good?" (Matthew 19:17, Mark 10:18, Luke 18:19). You don't believe me, then look it up in the Greek. Obviously, Jesus Christ isn't going to call any man good except for God alone.

a). No answer from the rich man.
b). Jesus answered the question. “No one is good except God alone."​

3). In other words, Jesus Christ is comparing the rich man's goodness with God's goodness.

a). Jesus Christ questioned the rich man's goodness by the commandments (Matthew 19:18-19, Mark 10:19, Luke 18:20).
b). But the rich man lacked one good thing, which is, to sell all his possessions and give it to the poor (Matthew 19:20-21, Mark 10:21, Luke 18:22).​

Nowhere in the isolated verse from its context says anything about the Son denying being good and denying being God. Back to the drawing board for you. Your plan A has failed and time for plan B.

Someone called Jesus good and then Jesus' answer was no, the one who is good is God. Therefore Jesus is not God. He denied being God.

The rich man didn't call Jesus Christ "good teacher" according to the Greek text.
Jesus Christ didn't say, "Why call me good" according to the Greek text.

Your interpretation and your pretexting verse doesn't fit the context of (Matthew 19:20-21, Mark 10:21, Luke 18:22).

Back