• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Total Depravity Explained Without Reference to the Human Will

You may want to place yourself there alongside of the prophets and apostles of Jesus Christ, but there is absolutely no indication anywhere that I should place you there.
You aren’t God and you weren’t Born Again by divine revelation were you?

You have told me that you don’t even know what it means...

It’s irrelevant where you place me..the Spirit testifies with our spirit that we are Gods Children.

Being a prophet is another topic...there are most definitely prophets today...I will remain silent on my calling, as it’s off topic anyway.

I know exactly why I was Born Again by divine revelation...you don’t need to know, because you aren’t me...I believe God and only God....opinions are just that, they have no standing against the “ Living “ word of God.

My spirit is Born Again as is inline 100% “ NOW” with the will of God...my spirit is in harmony with Gods Spirit...as Jesus Spirit was in-line with the Fathers will...only His Will was in line with the Fathers all of the time...

My will has had to be trained by the Spirit to come inline with Gods will....remember we are spirit children..not worldly children.

Last edited:
It suggests no such thing. It does suggest that truth is faith based. That becomes the result of God's not providing absolute proof of even His existence which would by and large eliminate faith as any basis for anyone honoring, following and obeying Him. But faith is key. God could just as easily have mandated all allegiance to him had that been His objective. Unfortunately, mandated allegiance is what the Reformed Theology presents as the gospel. And even worse, that theology presents mandated allegiance for only a preselected few with the rest preselected for eternal condemnation. All of that having nothing whatsoever to do with the personages of those involved and not only that but also having absolutely nothing to do with even the creation of this universe.
God demands mandated allegiance to Him of all people, even those He does not elect. Otherwise there would be no judgment and nothing to judge. Who exactly do you think He is? What do you think He is doing in redemption? What exactly do you think happened in Eden that alienated all mankind from God and what is that alienation? And who was first---God or man? Who was the Creator and who was but a creature?

Also, though Reformed theology teaches mandated allegiance, because God is God and we are but creatures, it does not present that as the gospel. The gospel is the reconciliation through the death, resurrection, and ascension of Christ.

I have no idea what you mean by "nothing to do do with the personages of those involved" but it most certianly does have to do with the creation of this universe and its condition because of the fall of mankind.

Romans 8:18-25; John 1:3,10; Col 1:16; Heb 1:2; Rev 21: 1-5.

Read them or continue to ignore them and stick to your guns.

You aren’t God and you weren’t Born Again by divine revelation were you?
And neither were you. You may think so, but it is simply not so.
You have told me that you don’t even know what it means...
No, I have never told you that I don't know what it means. I do know what it means. And I show you examples in scripture of what it means and how it is obtained.

And neither were you. You may think so, but it is simply not so.
I have already posted scripture how we are Born Again by divine revelation...only you aren’t understanding it’s meaning in your heart/ spirit.. no disrespect Jim, you only seem to understand in the intellect.
No, I have never told you that I don't know what it means. I do know what it means. And I show you examples in scripture of what it means and how it is obtained.
You haven’t...God has already spoken how we are “ Born Again “ by His Living Holy Spirit.

You seem to think that reading the Bible means one is Born Again...it’s not...you must be Born Of God’s seed..then the Spirit will start leading you through God’s word and bring it to your understanding in “ your spirit “.

Sorry Arial..I will leave it there, as this is about depravity.

I get drawn in the that merry go round...I just can’t stand back and watch some members take the Glory away from God.

. And I show you examples in scripture of what it means and how it is obtained.
You can only show scripture on how “ you” believe becoming Born Again is obtained....therefore it’s by you....which is a work.

You have no idea when God decides to bring our spirit from death to life...you can read about it of course...but becoming Born Of God’s seed/ Spirit ...is by divine revelation...supernatural/ our spirit is regenerated supernaturally by Gods Living Spirit....you have much to learn about the heart/ spirit...

What does regeneration mean in the KJV?
Spiritually, it means that God brings a person to new life (that they are "born again") from a previous state of separation from God and subjection to the decay of death(Ephesians 2:5).

.anyway that’s it ,no more from me...I’ve made the point that I believe God wanted me to make.

God demands mandated allegiance to Him of all people, even those He does not elect. Otherwise there would be no judgment and nothing to judge.
The only judgment there can be in the presentation of Reformed Theology is that God caused all to be born totally depraved and failed to regenerate everyone.
Who exactly do you think He is? What do you think He is doing in redemption? What exactly do you think happened in Eden that alienated all mankind from God
Nothing happened in Eden that alienated all mankind from God. All mankind alienated themselves from God by their own sins.
Also, though Reformed theology teaches mandated allegiance, because God is God and we are but creatures, it does not present that as the gospel. The gospel is the reconciliation through the death, resurrection, and ascension of Christ.
But that signifies not one bit of distinction between the lost and the saved.
I have no idea what you mean by "nothing to do do with the personages of those involved"
That is what the monergism that you are so enthralled with is all about. You had nothing whatsoever to do with being one of those who have been given eternal life.
but it most certianly does have to do with the creation of this universe and its condition because of the fall of mankind.
Mankind didn't fall in the Garden. Adam did. But you didn't fall in the Garden. You fell when you sinned.
but it most certianly does have to do with the creation of this universe.
Not really; according to Reformed Theology, creation is simply a holding cell for those to whom God decided, before creation, to give eternal life and those to whom God decided, before creation, to give eternal condemnation. By definition from Reformed Theology there was absolutely nothing about the creation which changed either of those two categories of mankind.

This is going nowhere.
I agree. But you are as much the reason as I am that it is going nowhere. I reject your soteriology and you reject my soteriology. You certainly do not refrain from doing so. Do you really think I would refrain from doing so? You can ask me not to, but is that really you want the forum to be all about?

And for what it is worth, as I have said before, I do not think you any less a brother in Christ for your faulty soteriology.

I agree. But you are as much the reason as I am that it is going nowhere. I reject your soteriology and you reject my soteriology. You certainly do not refrain from doing so. Do you really think I would refrain from doing so? You can ask me not to, but is that really you want the forum to be all about?

And for what it is worth, as I have said before, I do not think you any less a brother in Christ for your faulty soteriology.
What I mean is that the two positions have been stated over and over again and it isn’t really much of a discussion past a certain point. Perhaps a more careful look at the actual scriptures and context will be helpful.
For instance, what do you think is meant by Psalm 14 and the context of Paul quoting it in Romans.
Tell the readers how and why you interpret however you do. Try to be specific.
I don’t mind the topic being discussed at all..in fact it’s necessary for folks to learn.
Drill down into the scriptures mentioned and see what happens.

The only judgment there can be in the presentation of Reformed Theology is that God caused all to be born totally depraved and failed to regenerate everyone.
Reformed theology teaches no such thing. That is your perception of it, but it does not make it so. You cannot successfully argue against something by attempting to do so by what it is not. That is simple logic. All are born in a depraved condition because of the separation, the alienation. of mankind to God that Adam brought into the world. Not God. All are justly born condemned---in a future sense since they most certainly will sin----except for those He chooses according to His will to give to the Son. These he safely brings to Christ in faith. That is mercy. And by His own words He declares that He will show mercy on whom He shows mercy, and not on those who He does not show mercy. The rest receive just justice for their sins.

You can once again take those scriptures Paul quoted in Romans into your Pauline theology---which wrecks havoc with the scriptures but that is a topic for a different thread---and say that God's choice of mercy (in which He did not equivocate) only applies to the choice of Jacob as the father of Israel. But please don't. It derails the thread once again into ground that has already been covered, and you listen to nothing that anyone says about it. You are not arguing with me on that or anyone else, but with God. Is He not what you want Him to be so you seek to change who He is?
Nothing happened in Eden that alienated all mankind from God. All mankind alienated themselves from God by their own sins.
Uh Jim, Adam and Eve were cast out of the Garden where God dwelled among man, and would have dwelt among all men had the transgression of Adam not occured. They were cast into a cursed land, had a curse placed on them, lost access to the tree that would keep them alive and the dwelling place God had created in all its glorious perfection for them to live. No one is born in that place anymore. Therefore, all are alienated from God and dwell in what Col calls the kingdom of darkness. It is this kingdom of darkness that Jesus rescues us from, bringing us into His kingdom. In an already/not yet tension just as Abraham was in---looking forward to the heavenly kingdom. And this aspect of redemption will take place when Christ returns. See Rev 21: 1-5.
But that signifies not one bit of distinction between the lost and the saved.
That specific statement doesn't, because it was not intended to. The Bible does make a distinction between the lost and the saved---and the rest of the doctrines of grace in Reformed theology (ULIP) addresses the distinction and the how and why of it, according to what the fullness of the Scripture teaches on the subject. FYI reformed theology is much more than the TULIP and some of it you no doubt agree with.
That is what the monergism that you are so enthralled with is all about. You had nothing whatsoever to do with being one of those who have been given eternal life.
Oh I see the covering slipping. The objection here seems to be the idea of us having nothing to do with our redemption is what is truly found abhorrent. In order to keep that bit of self determination alive, simply change who God is and say its so.
Mankind didn't fall in the Garden. Adam did. But you didn't fall in the Garden. You fell when you sinned.
Were you born in the Garden of Eden? That would mean your parents had to be in the Garden, and their parents before them, and theirs before them----eventually all the way back to Adam and Eve, who would have had to walk back into the Garden they were locked away from, to give birth to each of their children. That would mean everyone is born in the Garden with access to the tree of life---but all partake of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. It would mean second by second since the dawn of creation, God is throwing each person out of the garden when they eat of that forbidden tree. We are born alienated from God. There is no way around that.
Not really; according to Reformed Theology, creation is simply a holding cell for those to whom God decided, before creation, to give eternal life and those to whom God decided, before creation, to give eternal condemnation.
I have been studying the teachings of Reformed theology for over forty years and never have I come upon such a teaching. As I said at the beginning, you cannot successfully refute Reformed theology or anything else, by arguing against what it is not. And you certainly cannot do so by not even reading the evidence that was given for my assertion----and my assertion is from the Reformed view, and you say in this quote that my view is exactly the opposite of what I stated ---you cannot refute what I said without even bothering to read the scriptural support to what I claimed.
By definition from Reformed Theology there was absolutely nothing about the creation which changed either of those two categories of mankind.
Well, that is not what I said. It isn't the creation that does anything. It is always God, and I was asserting that redemption is restoring a corrupted creation through the redemption of persons. This time read the scriptures that prove this. And then get back to me in connection with the scriptures given. I will post them for you again.
Romans 8:18-25; John 1:3,10; Col 1:16; Heb 1:2; Rev 21: 1-5.

Sorry Arial..I will leave it there, as this is about depravity.
No problem. You are being baited and though that is hard to ignore (that is why it is called bait) it is best to cut it off quickly. The baiter won't stop.

What I mean is that the two positions have been stated over and over again and it isn’t really much of a discussion past a certain point. Perhaps a more careful look at the actual scriptures and context will be helpful.
For instance, what do you think is meant by Psalm 14 and the context of Paul quoting it in Romans.
Tell the readers how and why you interpret however you do. Try to be specific.
I don’t mind the topic being discussed at all..in fact it’s necessary for folks to learn.
Drill down into the scriptures mentioned and see what happens.
I addressed this very subject earlier today on another forum. It was reasonably brief but I think the essence of my thinking is supplied. It came up because one had said that Paul used it to describe the unregenerate. Here it is:

No, this is not about the unregenerate, per se. In the section of Romans 1:18-3:20 Paul is establishing the impotence of the Law as a way of salvation. In the first passage of that section, Romans 1:18-32, Paul is laying out the sinfulness of the Gentiles. In the second passage, Romans 2:1-3:8, Paul is speaking of the sinfulness of the Jews. In the last passage, Romans 3:9-20, Paul is presenting the universal sinfulness and hopelessness under law. He introduces that section with the question, "What then? Are we any better off?" His answer is "Not at all". We can discuss who the "we" is that Paul is referring to.

Without going into any detail, I think it should be clear that Paul is not distinguishing between the regenerate and the unregenerate. Looking back to 3:1-2, Paul affirms that Jews have a great advantage over the Gentiles, especially in the possession of the oracles of God. Just so no one will misunderstand, Paul asks this question in v. 9 so that he can reemphasize the point made in chapter 2. That is, no matter what privileges the Jews may have enjoyed in relation to their unique role as the people through whom the Messiah would come, in reference to sin and judgment and their standing before God, they have no advantage whatsoever.

Paul's next sentence shows that this the main point: "we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin". He then proceeds to lay out, verses 10-18, quoting from several different OT passages, what can be attributed to the Jews. He closes that Passage of Romans, 1:18-3:20, with the statement, "For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin".

He then launches into his next general section, Romans 3:21-5:21, presenting the all-sufficiency of Grace as the way of salvation.

Reformed theology teaches no such thing. That is your perception of it, but it does not make it so. You cannot successfully argue against something by attempting to do so by what it is not. That is simple logic.
Well perhaps Reformed theologians don't teach that; however, that is the logical result from what they do teach. In the Reformed Theological soteriology, who else but God has the power to cause the spirit of the unborn or the just born to be dead and who but God has failed to regenerate anyone?
All are born in a depraved condition because of the separation, the alienation. of mankind to God that Adam brought into the world. Not God. All are justly born condemned---in a future sense since they most certainly will sin----except for those He chooses according to His will to give to the Son.
If they are born in a depraved condition because of anything outside of them, then it must be God. He is the only one with the power to accomplish that. Yes, in a future sense they will, if they live long enough and are not too mentally feeble to understand what sin is, sin. But until they do actually commit sin, they are not depraved. The spirit God gave them is pure and clean and alive. It is only in their sin that they are dead in trespasses and sins. Never in the Scriptures does it say that anyone is dead in someone else sins. In fact God, through the prophet Ezekiel, has produced the entire chapter, Ezekiel 18, declaring that "The soul (the spirit) who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son." Jesus said, "but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses" (Matt 6:15). Paul echoed that with "And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses" (Col 2:13). And there is nothing in Scripture that says otherwise.
These he safely brings to Christ in faith. That is mercy. And by His own words He declares that He will show mercy on whom He shows mercy, and not on those who He does not show mercy. The rest receive just justice for their sins.
The discussion in Romans 9 is Paul's argument that simply being a brother, a kinsman according to the flesh, a Jew who belongs to God's chosen (elect) nation of Israel, is not a guarantee that God will save them, and that is not a failure on God's part. The message there is God's using whomever He chooses to bring Jesus and salvation to the world. And in doing so, God is not obligated to save them. I can provide a lot more to this, but will leave it at that for now, except to note that they do not support the Calvinist definition of elect.
Uh Jim, Adam and Eve were cast out of the Garden where God dwelled among man, and would have dwelt among all men had the transgression of Adam not occured. They were cast into a cursed land, had a curse placed on them, lost access to the tree that would keep them alive and the dwelling place God had created in all its glorious perfection for them to live.
Uh, Arial, where in all of that discussion does it say that God dwelled among man any differently after Adam and Eve were ejected from the Garden. Yes, God conversed directly with Adam and Eve while they were in the Garden. But God did so also after they were ejected. Did God not speak with Cain directly (Gen 4:6) just as He had with Adam and Eve; or with Noah (Gen 6:13); or with Abraham (Gen 12:1)?
No one is born in that place anymore. Therefore, all are alienated from God and dwell in what Col calls the kingdom of darkness. It is this kingdom of darkness that Jesus rescues us from, bringing us into His kingdom. In an already/not yet tension just as Abraham was in---looking forward to the heavenly kingdom. And this aspect of redemption will take place when Christ returns. See Rev 21: 1-5.
I really do not want to get into the discussion of whether or not Revelation 21:1-5 is speaking about a newly revised Garden of Eden.
That specific statement doesn't, because it was not intended to. The Bible does make a distinction between the lost and the saved---and the rest of the doctrines of grace in Reformed theology (ULIP) addresses the distinction and the how and why of it, according to what the fullness of the Scripture teaches on the subject. FYI reformed theology is much more than the TULIP and some of it you no doubt agree with.
Yes, but the distinction is not established by the T and the U assumes a distinction not, I argue, established anywhere in Scripture. I don't argue against a distinction. I don't even argue against election. I do argue against the Reformed Theology of how that election is derived.

And yes, I understand that Reformed Theology is much more than TULIP and much of that I agree with. But TULIP are the key ingredients in Reformed Theology Soteriology. And that I definitely cannot agree with it
Oh I see the covering slipping. The objection here seems to be the idea of us having nothing to do with our redemption is what is truly found abhorrent. In order to keep that bit of self determination alive, simply change who God is and say its so.
No, it is not so much about having nothing to do with our redemption; rather it is about our not even wanting redemption unless God first zaps our mental capacity to be able to understand what He says. Reformed Theology refuses to think that God has the capability to address and communicate effectively with anyone until they are regenerated. But in fact, God had been doing that for the whole history of mankind before Jesus Christ came to earth as the Messiah. You posit the notion that God presented the entire Law system to Israel and then didn't give them the necessary wherewithal to even respond. Please note here that regeneration is not an act of God ever stated to be exercised before the Cross of Christ. Regeneration is in fact a New Covenant act of God.
Were you born in the Garden of Eden? That would mean your parents had to be in the Garden, and their parents before them, and theirs before them----eventually all the way back to Adam and Eve, who would have had to walk back into the Garden they were locked away from, to give birth to each of their children. That would mean everyone is born in the Garden with access to the tree of life---but all partake of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. It would mean second by second since the dawn of creation, God is throwing each person out of the garden when they eat of that forbidden tree. We are born alienated from God. There is no way around that.
What you, Reformed Theology, present is that the whole of mankind is charged with the sin of Adam. And that is simply not the case. God would not do such a thing and He has stated that He would not. Why you insist on blaming God for your sins is beyond me.
I have been studying the teachings of Reformed theology for over forty years and never have I come upon such a teaching. As I said at the beginning, you cannot successfully refute Reformed theology or anything else, by arguing against what it is not. And you certainly cannot do so by not even reading the evidence that was given for my assertion----and my assertion is from the Reformed view, and you say in this quote that my view is exactly the opposite of what I stated ---you cannot refute what I said without even bothering to read the scriptural support to what I claimed.
You can state what you want, but you cannot refute the fact that one being born with a dead spirit and incapable of ever being able to understand God's written revelation without first being regenerated, makes God the killer of the spirit of man. And that is simply horrific.

And for what it is worth I have been studying the Scriptures for well over 40 years, fact over 60 years some of which was a formal education, and will never concede that God is the ogre that Reformed Theology makes Him out to be.
Well, that is not what I said. It isn't the creation that does anything. It is always God, and I was asserting that redemption is restoring a corrupted creation through the redemption of persons. This time read the scriptures that prove this. And then get back to me in connection with the scriptures given. I will post them for you again.
I agree that redemption is the restoring of corrupted persons and only that. There is no corruption except persons. And that setting free of the bondage of corruption and the obtaining the freedom of the glory of the children of God (Rom 8:21) is that of the spirit of man, nothing else.

{edit}

Last edited by a moderator:
Well perhaps Reformed theologians don't teach that; however, that is the logical result from what they do teach.
That is the conclusion of your logic---which starts in the wrong place. It starts with the assertion that man has this mythical oxymoronic thing called free will, which the Bible nowhere states.It starts with man and works up to God, forming its theology (study OF God) on its way up. Just imagine all the things that can and will go wrong in the interpretation of Scripture when that is done. It starts by not believing that God mandates obedience from His creature, and not only obedience, but perfect obedience. It starts by believing that it was not Adam who put us all in the same boat, adrift, without God and alone in the world.

There is nothing logical in your interpretation of Reformed theology and to say that without even studying it and working it out through the scriptures without the already held presuppositions, does no one a bit of good.
In the Reformed Theological soteriology, who else but God has the power to cause the spirit of the unborn or the just born to be dead and who but God has failed to regenerate anyone?
Reformed theological soteriology does not teach that God causes the spirit of the unborn or the just born to be dead. Adam is the one who broke the covenant and did what he did to all creation and all mankind. God does regenerate some. All those He chose to give to the Son. He is under no obligation to regenerate anyone. That is why it is grace that any are saved.
I really do not want to get into the discussion of whether or not Revelation 21:1-5 is speaking about a newly revised Garden of Eden.
It is not a newly revised Garden of Eden. It is a new world. A new creation. I wonder if you have any idea of what the hope that is in us speaks of in the Bible. Or what the goal and purpose of God is in redemption.
Yes, but the distinction is not established by the T and the U assumes a distinction not, I argue, established anywhere in Scripture. I don't argue against a distinction. I don't even argue against election. I do argue against the Reformed Theology of how that election is derived.
Oh yikes. The T establishes the need for grace if any are to be redeemed, and that it is something only God can do and He must do all of it.It establishes that man cannot contribute in any way, anywhere along the way. And the U is soundly established in Scripture from beginning to end. I dealt with that in post #60. You can read it or not but I am not repeating it here.
Reformed Theology refuses to think that God has the capability to address and communicate effectively with anyone until they are regenerated.
That is not what RT teaches and you have been told that and what it does teach on the matter, so there is no excuse for repeating what is known to be a lie.
But in fact, God had been doing that for the whole history of mankind before Jesus Christ came to earth as the Messiah.
Which is precisely what I said---only from always---when I explained the Reformed view.
You posit the notion that God presented the entire Law system to Israel and then didn't give them the necessary wherewithal to even respond.
No I do not.
Please note here that regeneration is not an act of God ever stated to be exercised before the Cross of Christ. Regeneration is in fact a New Covenant act of God.
There is ample evidence of people having the Holy Spirit in the OT. And when Jesus spoke of regeneration in John 3, He made no distinction between the actions of the Holy Spirit in regeneration in the OT and the time in which He spoke. He was speaking to an old covenant teacher and telling him if he wanted to enter the kingdom of God, or if anyone did, they had to be reborn of the Spirit. And this was before the crucifixion and resurrection. The difference now is that the Holy Spirit indwells all believers and seals them in Christ.

I will have to deal with the rest of your post later.

No problem. You are being baited and though that is hard to ignore (that is why it is called bait) it is best to cut it off quickly. The baiter won't stop.
Thanks Arial, I needed that conformation...I pray your OP stays on topic, thank you for your patience, it’s certainly been tried on this topic.

All are born in a depraved condition because of the separation, the alienation. of mankind to God that Adam brought into the world. Not God. All are justly born condemned---in a future sense since they most certainly will sin----except for those He chooses according to His will to give to the Son. These he safely brings to Christ in faith. That is mercy. And by His own words He declares that He will show mercy on whom He shows mercy, and not on those who He does not show mercy. The rest receive just justice for their sins.
AMEN!!.....Exactly, but, understanding what is being said above, can only be understood in the spirit, so easy to understand, plus makes perfect sense......God is not a God of confusion....yet some sow so much confusion because it’s them talking and not the Spirit talking through them...I’m not referring to you Arial, thank God you are led by the Spirit.....is all I can say.

That is the conclusion of your logic---which starts in the wrong place. It starts with the assertion that man has this mythical oxymoronic thing called free will,
It is really pretty simple. If one does not have the ability to choose to either obey or disobey God's laws and commands, then there is no such thing as sin (1 John 3:4). The ability to choose to either obey or disobey God is the very definition of theological free will. There is certainly nothing oxymoronic about that ability. It is fundamental to the biblical doctrine of sin and the need for redemption.
It starts by not believing that God mandates obedience from His creature, and not only obedience, but perfect obedience.
What is obedience but choosing to do as God has mandated. Obedience, by definition, is a choice.
There is nothing logical in your interpretation of Reformed theology and to say that without even studying it and working it out through the scriptures without the already held presuppositions, does no one a bit of good.
It is a terribly sad thing to think that anyone who disagrees theologically with you does so only without even studying it and working it out through the scriptures without the already held presuppositions. To think that only the other guy has already held presuppositions is more than a little arrogant.
Reformed theological soteriology does not teach that God causes the spirit of the unborn or the just born to be dead. Adam is the one who broke the covenant and did what he did to all creation and all mankind.
Adam could not do that of his own abilities. So if that was really what happened, then it had to be God which put that into the creation originally. But that didn't really happen. Adam didn't do anything to all creation and all mankind. He did not have any such power. So you think such a thing happened as a result of Adam breaking a covenant, you need to provide the scriptural reference to any such covenant. And you can't do that since no such covenant existed. Not even Satan spoke that lie and distortion.
God does regenerate some. All those He chose to give to the Son. He is under no obligation to regenerate anyone. That is why it is grace that any are saved.
Only punishing three of your four kids for disobeying you does not make you a gracious father.
It is not a newly revised Garden of Eden. It is a new world. A new creation. I wonder if you have any idea of what the hope that is in us speaks of in the Bible. Or what the goal and purpose of God is in redemption.
I wonder if you have any idea what the goal and purpose of God is in His creation. On second thought, I am sure you do not. In the Reformed Theology presentation of creation, there is no goal and purpose. The end result has nothing to do with creation. Nothing about creation has any effect upon the final outcome. It ends with a predestined number of human beings admitted into the kingdom of God and the predestined rest, along with Satan and his minions, in hell. There is nothing about the Reformed Theology view of creation that effects that outcome whatsoever.
Oh yikes. The T establishes the need for grace if any are to be redeemed, and that it is something only God can do and He must do all of it.It establishes that man cannot contribute in any way, anywhere along the way.
The T establishes no such thing. All men have sinned. That is sufficient. That establishes the need for salvation by the grace of God for any to be redeemed. There is no need for God to form spirits dead in the unborn child.
And the U is soundly established in Scripture from beginning to end. I dealt with that in post #60. You can read it or not but I am not repeating it here.
I have read it. It points to Romans 8:29-30, while rejecting or ignoring verse 28 which says that it is those who love God that God foreknew and predestined. So obviously you were wrong when you said in post #60 that "There is not a thing in either of those passages which tell us that believers are elected (Paul is writing to believers), that pertains to the human will at all".
That is not what RT teaches and you have been told that and what it does teach on the matter, so there is no excuse for repeating what is known to be a lie.
RT teaches that unless one has first been regenerated, he cannot understand a thing God has said. That means one's intellectual capability is being withheld by God. That is the essence of T. And that is wrong.
No I do not.
Again, the requirement that God first regenerate a person before he can even understand the need for and the way of salvation is Reformed Theology 101. That is false.
There is ample evidence of people having the Holy Spirit in the OT. And when Jesus spoke of regeneration in John 3, He made no distinction between the actions of the Holy Spirit in regeneration in the OT and the time in which He spoke. He was speaking to an old covenant teacher and telling him if he wanted to enter the kingdom of God, or if anyone did, they had to be reborn of the Spirit. And this was before the crucifixion and resurrection. The difference now is that the Holy Spirit indwells all believers and seals them in Christ.
The role of the Holy Spirit in the OT was almost entirely for empowering for specialized gifts. The first such empowering is recorded in Exodus 35 where God filled Bezalel "with the Spirit of God wit skill, with intelligence, with knowledge and with all craftsmanship" (v.31). Such empowering was selective and was not limited to the OT. Prophets and apostles in the NT were so empowered. also. There is no mention of the indwelling Holy Spirit, as given to the repentant believer in the New Covenant, in anyone in the OT.

After Adam and Eve were ejected from the Garden, God spoke to Cain. Cain heard and understood God perfectly. There certainly is no indication that Cain needed to be regenerated in order to understand that he had done wrong and was being punished because of it. He was aware of all of it. He said, "My punishment is greater than I can bear" (Gen 4:13).

If they are born in a depraved condition because of anything outside of them, then it must be God. He is the only one with the power to accomplish that.
You are saying that if in Adam all sin then it is God who makes them sin and that doesn't even make sense. As though all men are autonomous, with no obligation to God and God is not autonomous. Man's sin is not outside of him, it is inside of him. They are born in a condition of not being reconciled to God. It is Adam who put all mankind in that condition. Only Adam, as the only man, could put us in that condition, and he did.
But until they do actually commit sin, they are not depraved. The spirit God gave them is pure and clean and alive. It is only in their sin that they are dead in trespasses and sins.
Forget about the word depraved for a minute. That is just a term used in defining the condition of mankind before God. We are all born in need of being reconciled to God. Being alienated from Him is a result of being cast away from Him out of the Garden. Sin and the holiness of God are incompatible. It became a part of man's very nature to sin---rebel against God. What we did not know before Adam at of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil became a part of our world. What we did not experience before, we now experience. All sorts of evil, rage, jealousy, coveting, dissatisfaction, rebellion against parents etc. Even though that is not all we experience, we do experience it. It shows up in Cain---sin crouching at the door of our heart.

It is not our spirit that is the issue in that. It is our heart. And all those evil thoughts and feelings and attitudes as well as the actions they give birth to are sinful.
Never in the Scriptures does it say that anyone is dead in someone else sins. In fact God, through the prophet Ezekiel, has produced the entire chapter, Ezekiel 18, declaring that "The soul (the spirit) who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son."
You are conflating two distinct things and come up with a straw man argument. RT and non-reformed doctrinally do not say we are being judged for Adam's sin, or anyone's sin but our own. That is not what in Adam all sin means. EZ is dealing with judgment. TD is dealing with the condition of all humanity in relation to the holiness of God, because of what Adam did and what resulted from that.

The discussion in Romans 9 is Paul's argument that simply being a brother, a kinsman according to the flesh, a Jew who belongs to God's chosen (elect) nation of Israel, is not a guarantee that God will save them, and that is not a failure on God's part. The message there is God's using whomever He chooses to bring Jesus and salvation to the world. And in doing so, God is not obligated to save them. I can provide a lot more to this, but will leave it at that for now, except to note that they do not support the Calvinist definition of elect.
They don't support it according to you. But your interpretation does not comport with the whole of Scripture on the subject---- and it has all been discussed already.
Uh, Arial, where in all of that discussion does it say that God dwelled among man any differently after Adam and Eve were ejected from the Garden. Yes, God conversed directly with Adam and Eve while they were in the Garden. But God did so also after they were ejected. Did God not speak with Cain directly (Gen 4:6) just as He had with Adam and Eve; or with Noah (Gen 6:13); or with Abraham (Gen 12:1)?
God is everywhere and He can do as He pleases, and does for His purposes. And His purpose was stated in Gen 3 when He cursed the serpent and promised that the seed of the woman would crush his head. So the issue is not, as you say of RT that God no longer communicates with unregenerate men, but that human wisdom finds spiritual things to be foolish. And they will until and unless, God opens their eyes to see and their ears to hear. Otherwise, as Jesus Himself declares, they cannot see (in the sense of understand in a believing way and accept)the kingdom or enter it. Jesus quite often speaks of this blindness and deafness to spiritual truths. So again you argue against the TD and RT with a straw man argument.

Now tell me, are the conditions we live in now different than those conditions in the Garden of Eden?
What you, Reformed Theology, present is that the whole of mankind is charged with the sin of Adam.
For the third or fourth time----no it does not.
God would not do such a thing and He has stated that He would not. Why you insist on blaming God for your sins is beyond me.
Since the first part of your assertion was untrue, this one has no bearing on anything. I am not blaming God for my sin. Where exactly do you get the idea that I am?
You can state what you want, but you cannot refute the fact that one being born with a dead spirit and incapable of ever being able to understand God's written revelation without first being regenerated, makes God the killer of the spirit of man. And that is simply horrific.

And for what it is worth I have been studying the Scriptures for well over 40 years, fact over 60 years some of which was a formal education, and will never concede that God is the ogre that Reformed Theology makes Him out to be.
You have been shown a number of times why the above statements are not applicable to Reformed theology. The next time you post anything like what I have highlighted in red and apply it to Reformed Theology and by extension those who are Reformed, you will be given a warning and the content will be edited out.

And I said I studied Reformed theology for over 40 years, which was a typo---over 20 years. The 23 years before that I was just following along with the post modern Arminius leaning teachings that pervaded and still pervade the church. So many are up to their necks in that river, and it keeps them from so much that is freely given.
I agree that redemption is the restoring of corrupted persons and only that. There is no corruption except persons. And that setting free of the bondage of corruption and the obtaining the freedom of the glory of the children of God (Rom 8:21) is that of the spirit of man, nothing else.

Romans 8
18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. 19 For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. 23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.

Rev

21 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place[a] of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people,[b] and God himself will be with them as their God.[c] 4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

5 And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” 6 And he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end.

Back