• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

The Apostles Creed Missing Ingredient?

What obvious? Flat-out say what your problem is with the creed.
From the OP..."The main problem I see with the Creed is that it leaves out a statement concerning the very foundation upon which the Creed is based on...the Scriptures themselves!"
Perhaps, where the Scriptures came from, their inerrancy etc.

From the OP..."The main problem I see with the Creed is that it leaves out a statement concerning the very foundation upon which the Creed is based on...the Scriptures themselves!"

Would you like to elaborate and explain that better?

Perhaps, where the Scriptures came from, their inerrancy etc.

Who is "their"?

I would offer both adding can create a omission

Matthew 15:6 And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
I'm unsure what "I would offer both adding can create a omission." is supposed to mean, but I hope that the following answers your post.

I was referring to the omission of a statement about Scripture, in the Apostles' Creed.

Christ left us The Church... The Church preceded the NT writings
And what about the OT writings? Nearly everything taught by Jesus in the gospels can be found in the NT, and the NT writers constantly used the OT in their writings, building everything they wrote upon it, and they did so apply the OT to both Jewish and Gentile converts. The op did not specify Old or New.

Why post falsehood built on a false dichotomy, a straw man, and a move of the goalposts? Can you not see that's what Post 3 does?

Well, I'm not psychic and I don't read minds. Maybe you can offer up an interpretation of the OP.
What???

The OP is asking for people's thoughts about whether or not the Apostles' Creed would have been better with a statement included about Scripture.

Wow!. . .so Scripture can be ignored in relation to the truth?

Evidently Jesus didn't get the memo, for he treated arguments from Scripture as having clinching force. When he said,
1) "It is written," that was final. There was no appeal against Scripture (Mt 4:4, 7, 10), for
2 ) "the Scripture cannot be broken." (Jn 10:35) God's word holds good forever.
He constantly scolded the Jews for their ignorance and neglect of Scripture:
3) "Are you not in error because you do not know the Scriptures?" (Mk 12:24)
4) "Have you not read. . .?" (Mt 12:3, 5, 19:4, 21:16, 42)
5) "Go and learn what this means. . ." (Mt 9:13)
I am referring to the New Testament

Jesus Christ is the word and the truth Jn 1:1 Jn 14:6

The church was founded and existed and exercised authority in teaching, governance, and sanctifying souls before the New Testament was written!

The church does not require the scriptures to know the truth!

The church wrote the scripture!

The church was taught by Christ in person for three years!

And commanded by Christ to teach and sanctify all men unto eternal salvation! Matt 28:19

For 30 plus years before the apostles wrote scripture
By the inspiration of the Holy Ghost they taught and preached and settle matters of doctrine!

Acts 8:12 & 25 & 35
Acts 13:5
1 pet 1:25

Thks

Which is the NT.
It’s is not the NT is the witness of the church to Christ acts 1:8

Partial witness and partial truth

Some apostles not all wrote some scripture

The fullness of revelation was communicated by Christ to his apostolic church before his ascension Jn 1:18 eph 4:5 Jude 1:3

The Holy Spirit is the author of our faith (Heb 12:2) in the Jesus Christ revealed in the Scriptures.
Your sect may be dependent on the scriptures but the one true universal church founded by Christ with his authority is not!

Jesus Christ is the word Jn 1:1 and the truth Jn 14:6 and the head of the church

We must believe and obey both Christ and the church He founded on the apostles (Matt 16:18-19) to teach and sanctify all men unto eternal salvation! (Matt 28:19)

(Not scripture alone)
Sacred Scripture according to the churches cannon and interpretation? Yes!
Scripture alone? No!

Heb 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things by, by whom also he made the worlds;

“Not by scripture alone”!

That’s the nail in the coffin of “Sola scriptura” it is dead and buried, “false doctrine” the doctrine of demons like all the sola’s!

For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. Jn 1:17

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life! Jn 14:6

And this extends to His apostolic church, Christ and His church are one and inseparable! Acts 9:4 Jn 15:5 eph 5:32 acts 2:42

Jesus Christ is the Light of the world! Jn 8:12
Apostolic church the light of the world! Matt 5:14

Must Hear Jesus Christ! Matt 17:5
Acts 3:23
Must Hear the apostolic church! Matt 18:17 1 Jn 4:6

Authority of Jesus Christ! Matt 28:17
Authority of the apostles! Jn 20:21

Jesus Christ has Reconciliation!
2 cor 5:19
Apostles have ministry of Reconciliation! 2 cor 5:18

Jesus Christ have power to forgive mens sins! Lk 5:20 Jn
Apostles have power to forgive mens sins! Jn 20:23

Jesus Christ is the truth! Jn 14:6
The apostolic church is the pillar of truth! 1 Tim 3:16

For the apostolic authority in Holy church decided and decreed (bound on earth / bound in heaven) the canon of Scripture, and is the only authentic interpreter of scripture!

The Christian faith is revealed by Christ!

Jesus Christ before ascending to heaven gave His apostles the fullness of truth, the apostolic church our mother and teacher is commanded by Him to teach and to sanctify with her sacraments (the promise of the spirit) all men unto eternal salvation! We are commanded to believe and obey! Matt 28:19

How can the Protestant concept: “sacred scripture is the only infallible source of truth” be true? There must be some infallible source that must tell us what is the canon of scripture & has authority to interpret scripture!

It is impossible to reject the church or her teaching without rejecting Christ who founded the church and revealed her teaching!

You cannot reject the kingdom established by the king and say I obey and submit to the king!

Jesus Christ founded the new covenant church to teach and sanctify (baptize) all men unto eternal salvation! (Matt 28:19)

Christ and His church are one!
((Inseparable unity))
Acts 9:4 Lk 10:16 eph 5:32 Isa 53:5 Jn 15:5 eph 5:24

Only Christ has authority to establish the church! Matt 16:18-19
One church! Jn 10:16 All others are sects “full of errors” “the tradition of men”! The new covenant Church is the eternal city of God! Household of faith! The pillar and ground of TRUTH! 1 Tim 3:15 Founded by Christ alone! Matt 16:18 on Peter and the apostles! Eph 2:20 Lk 22:29

The 30,000 sects (the tradition of men) having no authority at all! And holding and teaching contrary and new doctrines that oppose the Christian faith that was revealed by Christ and taught by holy mother church! Matt 28:19 acts 16:17

The church was founded and existed and exercised authority in teaching, governance, and sanctifying souls before the New Testament was written!

And commanded by Christ to teach and sanctify all men unto eternal salvation! Matt 28:19

By the inspiration of the Holy Ghost they taught and preached and settle matters of doctrine!

"Word" in Jn 1:1 does not mean speech or language, it refers to the First Cause, the great Intelligence and Reason behind the universe in Greek (Gentile) philosophy, to whom John was writing.
Jesus is not referred to as the "Word of God" anywhere in the NT.
The logo’s

The eternal word!

Jn 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

The logo’s

The eternal word!

Jn 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
Whose living word made it flesh ?

What???

The OP is asking for people's thoughts about whether or not the Apostles' Creed would have been better with a statement included about Scripture.

From my opinion or "thoughts." I don't think it would have matter anyways. The creed was used for water baptism. Back in that particular time era, the common people didn't have Bibles. Unlike, you and I, we can look up Bible verses from our phones and examine the creed if its Scripturally based or not. We have read the Bible countless of times and its common knowledge to us that "...was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried..." You can buy Bibles at a grocery store or read a Bible in a hotel room. The common people were probably uneducated and simple summary phrases from the creed was easy to comprehend and memorize.

For the link. I agree this is just a legend and argument from silence. You can't prove or disprove it. I think its well established that the Apostles Creed as its origins from the Old Roman Creed.

2. A legend claimed that each of the 12 articles was written by one of the 12 apostles. For example, Rufinus of Aquileia (345–411) wrote,

So they [i.e., the apostles] met together in one spot and, being filled with the Holy Spirit, compiled this brief token . . . each making the contribution he thought fit; and they decreed that it should be handed out as standard teaching to believers.

Despite its title, there is no evidence the Apostles’ Creed was actually written by the apostles, and the legend was largely abandoned by scholars by the time of the Renaissance.​

What???

I believe the apostles creed (belief) is as it is written all thing writen in the law and prophets ,

There is no private interpretation as a personal commentators from the persons of the apostles (sent ones) that give their person private interpretation or opinion of what Christ said . Simply send messenger with beautiful feet As mailmen they delivered the living word of God. . . .not the authors . They were just as confused as the unbeliever especially when speaking parables

My wife calls me her little favorite apostle .When I go out on a mission to the supermarket I follow instructions and do not add or subtract from the list for a reward 3 cookies Same thing

From my opinion or "thoughts." I don't think it would have matter anyways. The creed was used for water baptism. Back in that particular time era, the common people didn't have Bibles. Unlike, you and I, we can look up Bible verses from our phones and examine the creed if its Scripturally based or not. We have read the Bible countless of times and its common knowledge to us that "...was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried..." You can buy Bibles at a grocery store or read a Bible in a hotel room. The common people were probably uneducated and simple summary phrases from the creed was easy to comprehend and memorize.

For the link. I agree this is just a legend and argument from silence. You can't prove or disprove it. I think its well established that the Apostles Creed as its origins from the Old Roman Creed.

2. A legend claimed that each of the 12 articles was written by one of the 12 apostles. For example, Rufinus of Aquileia (345–411) wrote,​
So they [i.e., the apostles] met together in one spot and, being filled with the Holy Spirit, compiled this brief token . . . each making the contribution he thought fit; and they decreed that it should be handed out as standard teaching to believers.​
Despite its title, there is no evidence the Apostles’ Creed was actually written by the apostles, and the legend was largely abandoned by scholars by the time of the Renaissance.​
The Scriptures are quite clear about God's Word (written or oral, why couldn't the Creed make be equally clear? Besides, everything the Creed states about baptism, Christ etc., is based on Scripture. Why not throw in a good word about what our faith (and the Creed) is based on?

The Scriptures are quite clear about God's Word (written or oral, why couldn't the Creed make be equally clear? Besides, everything the Creed states about baptism, Christ etc., is based on Scripture. Why not throw in a good word about what our faith (and the Creed) is based on?

Why does the creed need to? By whose authority?
Only because you want the creed to be that way.

We must believe and obey both Christ and the church He founded on the apostles (Matt 16:18-19) to teach and sanctify all men unto eternal salvation! (Matt 28:19)

(Not scripture alone)
Sacred Scripture according to the churches cannon and interpretation? Yes!
Scripture alone? No!

Heb 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things by, by whom also he made the worlds;

“Not by scripture alone”!

That’s the nail in the coffin of “Sola scriptura” it is dead and buried, “false doctrine” the doctrine of demons like all the sola’s!

For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. Jn 1:17

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life! Jn 14:6

And this extends to His apostolic church, Christ and His church are one and inseparable! Acts 9:4 Jn 15:5 eph 5:32 acts 2:42

Jesus Christ is the Light of the world! Jn 8:12
Apostolic church the light of the world! Matt 5:14

Must Hear Jesus Christ! Matt 17:5
Acts 3:23
Must Hear the apostolic church! Matt 18:17 1 Jn 4:6

Authority of Jesus Christ! Matt 28:17
Authority of the apostles! Jn 20:21

Jesus Christ has Reconciliation!
2 cor 5:19
Apostles have ministry of Reconciliation! 2 cor 5:18

Jesus Christ have power to forgive mens sins! Lk 5:20 Jn
Apostles have power to forgive mens sins! Jn 20:23

Jesus Christ is the truth! Jn 14:6
The apostolic church is the pillar of truth! 1 Tim 3:16

For the apostolic authority in Holy church decided and decreed (bound on earth / bound in heaven) the canon of Scripture, and is the only authentic interpreter of scripture!

The Christian faith is revealed by Christ!

Jesus Christ before ascending to heaven gave His apostles the fullness of truth, the apostolic church our mother and teacher is commanded by Him to teach and to sanctify with her sacraments (the promise of the spirit) all men unto eternal salvation! We are commanded to believe and obey! Matt 28:19

How can the Protestant concept: “sacred scripture is the only infallible source of truth” be true? There must be some infallible source that must tell us what is the canon of scripture & has authority to interpret scripture!

It is impossible to reject the church or her teaching without rejecting Christ who founded the church and revealed her teaching!

You cannot reject the kingdom established by the king and say I obey and submit to the king!

Jesus Christ founded the new covenant church to teach and sanctify (baptize) all men unto eternal salvation! (Matt 28:19)

Christ and His church are one!
((Inseparable unity))
Acts 9:4 Lk 10:16 eph 5:32 Isa 53:5 Jn 15:5 eph 5:24

Only Christ has authority to establish the church! Matt 16:18-19
One church! Jn 10:16 All others are sects “full of errors” “the tradition of men”! The new covenant Church is the eternal city of God! Household of faith! The pillar and ground of TRUTH! 1 Tim 3:15 Founded by Christ alone! Matt 16:18 on Peter and the apostles! Eph 2:20 Lk 22:29

The 30,000 sects (the tradition of men) having no authority at all! And holding and teaching contrary and new doctrines that oppose the Christian faith that was revealed by Christ and taught by holy mother church! Matt 28:19 acts 16:17

Why does the creed need to? By whose authority?
Only because you want the creed to be that way.
I never said the Creed 'needed to', I only said 'why couldn't it have'...only because it had other essential articles, not because 'I wanted it to'. Please read careful.
That would be like me asking, "Why are you against any article in the Creed regarding the Scriptures?"

Back