• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Jesus was never prayed to once in the Bible

No precedent in Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John about praying to Jesus.
Jesus laid aside all regard of equality with God when he took on the form of a bondservant.

Philippians 2:5-11
Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bondservant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Notice this laying aside of that regard happened prior to his being made in the likeness of man. That implies Jesus existed in some other form or likeness prior to his incarnation, his being made flesh, his taking the form of a bondservant. It would be irrational for Jesus to regard equality with God something to be grasped if that were not possible in the first place. If Jesus - even for a fraction of a second - irrationally considered grasping equality with God, then that would instantaneously render him incapable of being the perfect sacrifice. It would make him like Satan and like Adam and Eve when they considered knowing good and evil like God.

So, once it is grasped Jesus had laid aside all regard for being equal to God then upon what basis is there for asking where Jesus asked for prayers to himself? That premise would directly contradict what is plainly stated in Philippians 2! The reason Jesus did not ask for or teach his disciples to pray to him is because he had taken on the form of a bondservant. Bondservants don't get prayed to. Their masters get the prayers. Having served that role of bond service, and having fulfilled that role, with all its duties, Jesus then ascended back to heaven from whence he came, and he did not seat on his throne, but sat down on his Father's throne; the throne of God (Rev. 3:21).

So we see there is a very simple explanation for why Jesus did not ask to be prayed to and why prayers are later brought to him in heaven.
Since the Father is Lord (Matthew 11:25) and Jesus and his disciples prayed to the Father repeatedly, then Acts 1:24,25 is about praying to the Father.
Well, technically, the Father is the LORD and Jesus is the Lord. But other than that mistake, the sentence is correct. The problem is the Lord is seated on the LORD's throne as the LORD's right hand and the Lord will remain there until the LORD defeats all the Lord's enemies. In other words, according to Psalm 110, the LORD is now serving the Lord 😮.

So, once again, there exists this untenable condition in which divine attributes are assigned Jesus in a manner that would necessarily be wholly heretical and idolatrous unless true and correct exactly as written.

Psalm 110:1-7
The LORD says to my Lord: "Sit at My right hand Until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet." The LORD will stretch forth Your strong scepter from Zion, saying, "Rule in the midst of Your enemies." Your people will volunteer freely in the day of Your power; In holy array, from the womb of the dawn, Your youth are to You as the dew. The LORD has sworn and will not change His mind, "You are a priest forever According to the order of Melchizedek." The Lord is at Your right hand; He will shatter kings in the day of His wrath. He will judge among the nations, He will fill them with corpses, He will shatter the chief men over a broad country. He will drink from the brook by the wayside; Therefore, He will lift up His head.

This psalm is quoted in every gospel and referenced in several epistles. It is further explained in Revelation where we find John explicitly stating Jesus is seated on God's throne. He stays seated there until his Father defeats his enemies. Jesus even challenged the Jewish leaders about this question of his lordship.

Matthew 22:41-46
Now while the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them a question: "What do you think about the Christ, whose son is He?" They said to Him, "The son of David." He *said to them, "Then how does David in the Spirit call Him 'Lord,' saying, 'The LORD said to my Lord, "Sit at My right hand until I put your enemies beneath your feet"?' If David then calls Him 'Lord,' how is he his son?" No one was able to answer Him a word, nor did anyone dare from that day on to ask Him another question.

The Greek and English do not accurately portray what is stated in Psalm 110 because Psalm 110:1 states, "YHWH said to my Lord, 'Site at My right hand till I make your enemies your footstool." That means YHWH (God, the Father) has placed David's Lord on His throne. That is completely impossible if Jesus is just an ordinary human who was especially endowed with special gifts by God. He cannot be merely a man with a few divine gifts.

He is seated on God's throne and God is serving him!

No wonder none of the Pharisees could/would answer Jesus. They would have to acknowledge they knew all along who was the father of the messiah. They'd have to acknowledge they were playing games and asking Jesus those questions disingenuously. Or..... they would have to acknowledge they did not know squat about the messiah despite their many accumulated centuries of studying.

The Father seats the Son on His throne. He then leaves the Son seated on His throne and takes up the task of defeating all the Son's enemies. The Son stays seated there until that day when all his enemies are defeated by his Father's hand. At that time every knee bows and confesses Jesus as Lord and the Lord Jesus then hands the kingdom to his Father, the LORD.

1 Corinthians 15:20-25
But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep....... But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ's at his coming, then comes the end, when he hands over the kingdom to the God and Father, when He has abolished all rule and all authority and power. For he must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet.

The Lord reigns until the LORD (YHWH) has made a footstool of the Lord's enemies. The Lord reigns from his Fathers throne. He reigns from the throne of God, a throne from which no human can rule.

Since it logically impossible to have more than one God, the Lord and the Lord must be a single God. That's not possible for anyone who is merely or solely human. Jesus, being human, must therefore, also be God. The entire paradigm is impossible for man, but nothing is impossible for God, especially not the Creator God who made a 10- or 11-dimensional creation where matter and energy are the same and it is is fully possible for two things to occupy the exact same space at the exact same time.
There are no examples to support your premise.
God's word proves otherwise.

In heaven we will bow down and worship the Lord Jesus Christ.
All angels will do likewise...

That does not mean that at present while here on earth we are instructed to pray to Him.

Nor, are we to pray to the Holy Spirit who is also God.

We are to pray to the Father.. (through Him) in the name of Jesus.

That is what the Bible teaches.

Jesus prayed to the Father.
And, now as ambassadors we are here in His stead!

Thus... the confusion.

Jesus says this is how we should pray:

"Our Father who art in heaven hallow be thy name, thy kingdom come thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven..."

You guys keep dishonoring Jesus in this unfaithful manner and claiming He is your Lord.

You are spreading a lie to the world, friend.

Jesus says this is how we should pray:

"Our Father who art in heaven hallow be thy name, thy kingdom come thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven..."

In Matthew 6:13 part of the prayers says "deliver us from evil."

In 2 Thessalonians 3:2 the same Greek words for 'deliver' and 'evil' are used. Verse 3 then points to the fact that "the Lord is faithful' going on how he will protect the believer from the evil.

To whom does the "Lord" in 2 Thessalonians 3:3 refer to?

That does not mean that at present while here on earth we are instructed to pray to Him.

Nor, are we to pray to the Holy Spirit who is also God.

We are to pray to the Father.. (through Him) in the name of Jesus.

That is what the Bible teaches.

Jesus prayed to the Father.
And, now as ambassadors we are here in His stead!

Thus... the confusion.
Every knee will bow only to the glory of God the Father. That's it.

That means only God gets glory.

Philippians 2
10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

In Matthew 6:13 part of the prayers says "deliver us from evil."

In 2 Thessalonians 3:2 the same Greek words for 'deliver' and 'evil' are used. Verse 3 then points to the fact that "the Lord is faithful' going on how he will protect the believer from the evil.

To whom does the "Lord" in 2 Thessalonians 3:3 refer to?
Jesus only taught his disciples to pray to the Father. That's it.

In your wild theology you have Christians going around praying to Jesus and you have no verses to prove it.

Matthew 6
6But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

9So then, this is how you should pray:
‘Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be Your name.

Philippians 2

Which would include the Lord Jesus.

Revelation 5:13
And every creature which is in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all who are in them, heard I saying, To Him who sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb, be the blessing, and the honor, and the glory, and the dominion forever and ever.

Which would include the Lord Jesus.

Revelation 5:13
And every creature which is in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all who are in them, heard I saying, To Him who sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb, be the blessing, and the honor, and the glory, and the dominion forever and ever.
The only one getting glory when Jesus is bowed to is the Father.

You dodged the question I asked at the end of my post (#685).

Keep hiding.
Your argument is with Jesus, not me. He only taught us Christians to pray to the Father. Fred teaches us to pray to Jesus. Your words are not from God, Jesus' words are from God.

My argument is being dodged by you because your heresy can't be defended,
If you call me a heretic for repeating the teachings of Jesus then you're calling Jesus a heretic as well.

Jesus taught this about prayer. He didn't say anything about praying to Jesus.

Matthew 6
6But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

9So then, this is how you should pray:
‘Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be Your name.

Jesus is getting the glory in equality with the Father by all of creation.
According to Philippians 2:10,11 only the Father gets the glory so that's sola scriptura. According to Acts 4:24-27 Jesus isn't the creator. Jesus isn't equal with God according to Jesus, John 14:28.

According to Philippians 2:10,11 only the Father gets the glory

That's like saying the Father doesn't get the glory because only Jesus does in 2 Peter 3:18.

Your approach to Scripture is horrendous.

Philippians 2

Jesus before coming to earth existed eternally as God in heaven... made himself become as a man ... as the means to die for all mankind.

So? What is your problem with all the nit picking of certain words to drag out such a controversy?

Jesus said.....

Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time?
Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? John 14:9​

What are you trying to achieve?

for continually dodging the truth of 2 Thessalonians 3:3.
There is no so-called "truth" that contradicts Jesus' teachings. He only taught about praying to the Father. Find a different interpretation that aligns with the Bible.

That's like saying the Father doesn't get the glory because only Jesus does in 2 Peter 3:18.

Your approach to Scripture is horrendous.
What you have here is called a category error. You're attempting to conflate two different contexts. There are also verses about saints being glorified with not mention of God. It isn't to say God suddenly stops getting glory. You just don't understand the big picture in the Bible.

In context of Jesus being bowed to only God gets the glory. In context of 2 Peter 3:18, it's referring to Jesus.

Back