• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Free Willers and 2 Peter 3:9

Carbon

“The Christian life is a life of non-conformity.”
Reaction score
Faith
Reformed
Country
USA
Marital status
Married
Politics
Conservative
Why do you use, -...... The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9. - ....... to teach God is not willing that any should perish,

when,
- .....What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: Romans 9:22. - ...... declares God is willing for reprobates to perish.

Which one is it?

Why do you use, -...... The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9. - ....... to teach God is not willing that any should perish,

when, - .....What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: Romans 9:22. - ...... declares God is willing for reprobates to perish.

Which one is it?

The will of God is that not all shall perish, as many as the powerful father gave to the Son will come to the father . He does not will any to perish .

They perish according to thier own will in bandage to sin.

The will of God is that not all shall perish, as many as the powerful father gave to the Son will come to the father . He does not will any to perish .
Scripture?
yes, i understand you believe salvation is progressive and based on character development, etc... and the practice of good works. Simply put, you believe man saves himself. Correct?

@Mr GLee , i guess that was a dumb question by me? if your a unitarian you believe there to be a number of divine books.

Correct?
I am not a unitarian (those who believe the lie) . Many volumes of supposed Devine books. . Dying mankind oral traditons making all things written in the law and prophets (sola scriptura) without effect .

If every time the Lord had to dismiss lying prohecy ".I heard it through the dying fathers grape vine". . . we would need a bigger planet to hold the volumes

No defense against the (sola scriptura) The Christians defense, the sword of the Spirit .Put the whole armor on and keep it on .

John 21:23-25 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true. And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen

I am not a unitarian (those who believe the lie) . Many volumes of supposed Devine books. . Dying mankind oral traditons making all things written in the law and prophets (sola scriptura) without effect .
So what system do you agree with? Or are you ashamed to say?

So what system do you agree with? Or are you ashamed to say?
The gospel system as it is written .We have the perfect and will not be deceived by adding the oral traditons of dying mankind .

No sign was given to wonder after.

In that way I am not ashamed to called the Son of man Jesus my brother in the Lord. We call no man on earth Holy father .One is the spiritual head Christ the husband

when, - .....What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: Romans 9:22. - ...... declares God is willing for reprobates to perish.

Which one is it?
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering
to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9. -​
....... to teach God is not willing that any should perish.​

Its not teaching that he won't let some perish.

It means He will give obstinate stubborn ones more and more opportunities to believe than anyone should deserve.

The will of God is that not all shall perish, ...

(1) If "as many as the powerful Father gave to the Son will come ..."

(2) and if "he does not will any to perish,"

(3) Then why does he not give all to the Son?

They perish according to thier own will in bondage to sin.

Unless the Father gives them to the Son, of course, whereupon they will come.

So, why doesn't he?

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9
Hello Carbon, et al, I've always found it interesting that this verse is considered to say something that it doesn't, not when it's taken in context anyway.

It is, after all, part of an Epistle that was addressed specifically to the saints/the saints to be, as well being taken from both a Chapter and a Passage in the Epistle that were written to and/or about the same.

IOW, the "us or us-ward", "any" and "all" of v9 refer to those of us who either are or who will be believers.

Finally, why would our omniscient and omnipresent God, who knows the end from the beginning, be "longsuffering" towards anyone who He ALREADY KNOWS will never come to saving faith in Christ :unsure: (this would be true whether one considers it from the Calvinist ~OR~ the Arminian POV).

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf

Isaiah 46
9 I am God, and there is no other.
I am God, and there is no one like Me,
10 Declaring the end from the beginning,
And from ancient times things which have not been done,
Saying, ‘My purpose will be established,
And I will accomplish all My good pleasure'.

Last edited:
Hello Carbon, et al.

I've always found it interesting that this verse is [regarded as saying] something that it doesn't—not when it's taken in context anyway.

It is, after all, part of an epistle that was addressed specifically to the saints (and saints to be), as well being taken from both a chapter and a passage in the epistle written to and/or about the same. In other words, the "us" or "us-ward," "any" and "all" of verse 9 refer to those of us who either are or who will be believers.

"The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."
That is the vital key so many people overlook—"with you." Peter has a specific group of hearers in mind. The anyone and everyone that Peter is describing here is directly related to the you that he is addressing.

That direct relationship is important to note. Consider the following illustration.

Imagine that you have called a staff meeting. As you stand, looking over the people gathered in the board room, you announce, "We cannot afford to have anyone miss this information, so before I get to what I have to tell you, I need to know if everyone is here." You are not asking if everyone on the planet is present in the board room, nor are you asking if all people who have existed, do exist, and will ever exist are present. The anyone and everyone are directly related to the you being addressed (i.e., your staff members).

The Lord is patient with you, Peter said. So, who is Peter addressing? All mankind?

No, he is writing to his friends, to whom he has written before (3:1), who have received the faith of the apostles (1:1), God's elect, chosen by the Father through the Spirit for the Son (1 Pet 1:1-2). That is with whom God is patient in 2 Peter 3:9, who he will not have perish but have come to repentance.

Finally, why would our omniscient and omnipresent God, who knows the end from the beginning, be "longsuffering" towards anyone who He ALREADY KNOWS will never come to saving faith in Christ :unsure: (this would be true whether one considers it from the Calvinist ~OR~ the Arminian POV).

Really great question.

(1) If "as many as the powerful Father gave to the Son will come ..."

(2) and if "he does not will any to perish,"

(3) Then why does he not give all to the Son?

Unless the Father gives them to the Son, of course, whereupon they will come.

So, why doesn't he?

Other than he is of one mind and always does whatsoever his soul pleases?

No man can turn him.

He perform in us that which he appoints to us .

All men are appointed to death once . The dying we are working out

Yoked with Christ our daily sufferings burdens can be lighter.

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering
to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9. -​
....... to teach God is not willing that any should perish.​

Its not teaching that he won't let some perish.

It means He will give obstinate stubborn ones more and more opportunities to believe than anyone should deserve.
Yes the not willing to let any perish is in respect to as many as Christ the father gave to the Son of man Jesus . Not one more or one less. .

They could not do so if it was not also God's will that would happen. Human will can never usurps God's will and, logically speaking, we must avoid any premise stating God's will does not apply. There cannot be a place in the Creator's creation where His will does not sovereignly apply without compromising the premise of God. If He is God at all then He is God over all.

They could not do so if it was not also God's will that would happen. Human will can never usurps God's will and, logically speaking, we must avoid any premise stating God's will does not apply. There cannot be a place in the Creator's creation where His will does not sovereignly apply without compromising the premise of God. If He is God at all then He is God over all.
In that way we born in bandage to death.

In that way we born in bandage to death.
That does not speak to the salient issue. Scripture BOTH states God does not want any to perish AND hypothesizes His willingness to make vessels fitted for destruction. BOTH are functions of God's will, not the sinful creature's will. The response of Post #2 is that they die of their own will, but the creature's will is not a part of the op. The op asks nothing about the creature's will. It posits two distinct wills of God and asks, "Which one is it?"

The op:
  • God wants all bananas to ripen.
  • God wants some bananas destroyed.
  • Which is it?

Post #2:
  • Not-God creatures want gummi bears.

????? 🤨

Post #14:
  • They could not want gummi bears apart from what God wants.

Post #15:
  • We're born in bondage to sin.

:cautious: ????? Can you now understand why @Carbon has asked you the particular questions he's asked?

That does not speak to the salient issue. Scripture BOTH states God does not want any to perish AND hypothesizes His willingness to make vessels fitted for destruction. BOTH are functions of God's will, not the sinful creature's will. The response of Post #2 is that they die of their own will, but the creature's will is not a part of the op. The op asks nothing about the creature's will. It posits two distinct wills of God and asks, "Which one is it?"

The op:
  • God wants all bananas to ripen.
  • God wants some bananas destroyed.
  • Which is it?

Post #2:
  • Not-God creatures want gummi bears.

????? 🤨

Post #14:
  • They could not want gummi bears apart from what God wants.

Post #15:
  • We're born in bondage to sin.

:cautious: ????? Can you now understand why @Carbon has asked you the particular questions he's asked?

Hi Thanks

As soon as dying mankind is born they go forward telling lies . Psalm 58:3.

Mankind (bananas) must be born again as new creature as sons of God . It is not revealed what we will when receive the new incorruptible bodies be as the one bride of Christ.. . our husband.

1 John 3:1Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is

The desiring not any to perish is speaking to believers. Not the banana or Gumi bears dying things returns to dust

Rather as many as the Father gave to the Son. . . not one more or less.

God who is of one mind and always does whatsoever his soul desires .Prophecies declared His will ("let there be a new kind of fruit" and the "bride of Christ was God alone good.)

The old creation bananas and gummi bears returned to the dust .

Christians do not, cannot know Christ the invisible head after any rudiment of this dying world.

Hi Thanks

As soon as dying mankind is born they go forward telling lies . Psalm 58:3.

Mankind (bananas) must be born again as new creature as sons of God . It is not revealed what we will when receive the new incorruptible bodies be as the one bride of Christ.. . our husband.

1 John 3:1Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is

The desiring not any to perish is speaking to believers. Not the banana or Gumi bears dying things returns to dust

Rather as many as the Father gave to the Son. . . not one more or less.

God who is of one mind and always does whatsoever his soul desires .Prophecies declared His will ("let there be a new kind of fruit" and the "bride of Christ was God alone good.)

The old creation bananas and gummi bears returned to the dust .

Christians do not, cannot know Christ the invisible head after any rudiment of this dying world.
Rubbish

Romans 1:18-32
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures. Therefore, God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them. For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. For this reason, God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper, being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful; and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.

If all of that is possible to know when denying God, what is possible in the god and sinless state? What is possible in the redeemed, regenerate, and sanctified state? Humans were made mortal. ALL humans are destined to die once. If Christ is unknowable after the rudiment of this world then the following statements are nonsensical...

Genesis 1:29-30
Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food"; and it was so.

Genesis 2:15-17
Then the LORD God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden to cultivate it and keep it. The LORD God commanded the man, saying, "From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die."

The failure to properly discriminate between the faculties of the good, sinless flesh and the not-good, sinful flesh continues to confound your posts. So does the lack of comprehension of the majesty and sovereignty of God in and over His creation. His eternal power and divine nature can be understood by what He made. The gospel of Christ is the power of God!!!

Hebrews 1:3
And he (Jesus) is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature and upholds all things by the word of His power.

1 Corinthians 1:21-25
For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom; but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles' foolishness, but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

What Post #17 does is create an obstacle controlling God, not one controlling humans.

2 Corinthians 5:16
Therefore, from now on we recognize no one according to the flesh; even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him in this way no longer.

Paul could not have written Christians once knew Jesus according to the flesh if it were impossible to know him after any rudiment of this dying world. The tree of life sat in Eden available for the flesh and blood Adam and Eve to eat of and benefit from any time they liked. Even after they disobeyed God, God's eternal power (Jesus) and diving nature (of which Jesus is the exact representation) could be understood by what is made.

Colossians 2:20-23
If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles (rudiments) of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as, "Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!" (which all refer to things destined to perish with use)—in accordance with the commandments and teachings of men? These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body but are of no value against fleshly indulgence.

The idea Christ cannot be known after any rudiment of the world defies both the precedent and the content of the gospel. Jesus came in the flesh to be known!!!

1 Peter 1:20-21
For He was foreknown before the foundation of the world, but has appeared in these last times for the sake of you who through Him are believers in God, who raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.

Jesus was revealed, made known, while we were still dead in sin.

Colossians 2:18-19
Let no one keep defrauding you of your prize by delighting in self-abasement and the worship of the angels, taking his stand on visions he has seen, inflated without cause by his fleshly mind, and not holding fast to the head, from whom the entire body, being supplied and held together by the joints and ligaments, grows with a growth which is from God.

It's not of sinful human will or work. It is God who causes it all.

If all of that is possible to know when denying God, what is possible in the god and sinless state? What is possible in the redeemed, regenerate, and sanctified state? Humans were made mortal. ALL humans are destined to die once. If Christ is unknowable after the rudiment of this world then the following statements are nonsensical...
Hi thanks for the reply. .

I would offer. .

All of dying mankind are daily carrying out the appoint to die once. . sufferings the pangs of hell the wage of sin . Christians have a living hope beyond the grave

Satan the god of this world, (the lust eye, lust flesh the two building blocks of false pride) is the king of lying signs to wonder after powerfully affecting declaring from the foundation of the world .. . Surely you will not die look at my beauty and live forever .Or why believe in a King of kings not seen.?

God sends a strong delusion to those who appose the His faithful labor of His love as it is written by the finger of Christ

The foundation of Paganism . . ."Out of sight out of mind" Earthly venerable kings inspired from earth. The fool has said there is no invisible Almighty God in thier heart

The dying began . The Lord cut off his feet .No longer two walking in agreement .

It would seem Roman 1 :18 -32 is supporting the law that we cannot know Christ the husband as the invisible King of kings the majesty and sovereignty of God. . . By looking at that dying rudiments of this world. Like Jesus the Son of man, our born again brother in the Lord . The first of many sons of God (Christian )

Flesh signified as sinful was needed to do what the Bible. . letter of the law (death) could not do give eternal spirit life.

Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak (no power) through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

His living word (Let there be) powerfully creates new spirit life giving new creatures new life . .Its not by literal bread alone . the bread the disciples knew not of a first Doing the will of the father that worked in him to both hear and to do the will in the name or power of the invisible head .(Philippians 2)

The Son of man Jesus declared his flesh a rudiment of this world has no power to profit. . deader than a door nail in trespass and sins beyond a living hope .

The Colossian references you offered follows the loving commandment earlier in the context.( verse 8)

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

We cannot know Christ our husband the power that worked in Jesus the Son of man a dying rudiment of this world .

We walk by the unseen eternal things of God. Not after the temporal dying things . The two (temporal historical and eternal )must be mixed or no gospel rest according to Hebrew 4

The new heavens and earth, new elements not after the corruptipted dying. . . . new periodic table

The failure to properly discriminate between the faculties of the good, sinless flesh and the not-good, sinful flesh continues to confound your posts. So does the lack of comprehension of the majesty and sovereignty of God in and over His creation. His eternal power and divine nature can be understood by what He made. The gospel of Christ is the power of God!!!

I am not confused or lack of comprehension of the majesty and sovereignty of God the invisible head .

The goal of Satan deceive dying mankind Christ our husband is a Jewish King of kings.

The 20/20 prescription (2 Corinthians 4:18) needed to rightly divide the parables. They must be applied or again no gospel rest

We cannot know Christ our husband the power that worked in Jesus the Son of man a dying rudiment of this world .
You've moved the goalposts.

Furthermore, you're making a circular, nonsensical argument. You just said Christ is the power that worked in Jesus, or Christ is the power that worked in the Christ 🤨. Now maybe that last part is a typo, or the product of using a cellphone, but what it says is Jesus is the dying rudiment of the world. That's crazy 🤪.
It would seem Roman 1 :18 -32 is supporting the law that we cannot know Christ the husband as the invisible King of kings the majesty and sovereignty of God. . . By looking at that dying rudiments of this world.............
No, Romans 1 is making the exact opposite point. The power of God (Jesus is the power of God) is visible by what has been made, and His power is visible in such a manner that none are without excuse, and this is said of sinful God-deniers living in a sinfully dying world. There are no God deniers in a pre-Genesis 3:7 world. That entire passage is about condition of a post-Genesis 3:7 world. Even with the lethal effects of sin corrupting the human who lives in the world in which sin has entered and brought with it transgressional death, "that which is known about God is evident within them; because God made it evident to them."
Flesh signified as sinful was needed to do what the Bible. . letter of the law (death) could not do give eternal spirit life.

Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak (no power) through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

His living word (Let there be) powerfully creates new spirit life giving new creatures new life . .Its not by literal bread alone . the bread the disciples knew not of a first Doing the will of the father that worked in him to both hear and to do the will in the name or power of the invisible head .(Philippians 2)

The Son of man Jesus declared his flesh a rudiment of this world has no power to profit. . deader than a door nail in trespass and sins beyond a living hope .
All of that is true but you have failed to reconcile that with the fact we still see with the same eyes of sinful flesh, we still hear with the same ears of sinful flesh and we still speak with the mouth of sinful flesh and it is these still-sinful rudiments of the flesh that God uses when He drags a person to Christ and changed the person He is saving! Volitionalism is the worldly philosophy asserting sinful will is salient! It is the philosophy (theology) that says sinful flesh professes a faith prior to regeneration that is the worldly philosophy. Monergism argues it is all transformed (by God alone) prior to faith. That transformation does not stop flesh from being flesh. It stops the flesh from being fleshly, not flesh. Or, more accurately, it empowers a person to use His God-made faculties through the power of the Spirit, not sin. It's still flesh, it's just not fleshly flesh. When Jesus resurrected, he showed himself to others, demonstrating he was still flesh and bone. He is not invisible (as was earlier asserted).
The Colossian references you offered follows the loving commandment earlier in the context.( verse 8)

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

We cannot know Christ our husband the power that worked in Jesus the Son of man a dying rudiment of this world.

We walk by the unseen eternal things of God. Not after the temporal dying things. The two (temporal historical and eternal )must be mixed or no gospel rest according to Hebrew 4.
You're moving the goalposts again, and possibly conflating flesh with "temporal" in inappropriate ways. Adam and Eve were made of flesh and declared good. They were made mortal, and it was declared good. They were made in a temporal world that was temporary (not just temporal) and it was called good. None of those conditions is inherently bad. They are all, in fact, inherently good, according to Genesis 1:31. The problem is sin's corruption, not an inherent badness of the things God made. If Jesus is the tree of life in the garden, then Jesus is knowable in the flesh. He's just not knowable by sinful flesh. BIG difference. We, the redeemed and regenerate still live in temporal bodies made of flesh and blood when we come to know Christ, but it is a transformed body of flesh and blood, and we don't know him according to the sinful flesh. To know Jesus by the Spirit does not preclude the brain of flesh from knowing and understanding Jesus. Regenerate people do not have a new organ added to their physiology, a specially designated organ of non-flesh by which Jesus is known. Paul was writing to people with a hand of flesh, using a writing instrument made of temporal material, and he was writing to people who were reading the letter with their eyes made out of flesh or hearing the worlds read with ears made of flesh and the information went into their brains that are made of flesh.

Failing to correctly discriminate what "flesh" means leads to bad thinking, bad doctrine, and bad practice.
The new heavens and earth, new elements not after the corruptipted dying. . . . new periodic table.
Red herring. No one said it was.
I am not confused or lack of comprehension of the majesty and sovereignty of God the invisible head .
The posts prove otherwise.

Back