• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

How many verses are required to prove a false doctrine?

Do you have an example of "verbal" scripture whispered down the lane?
Verbal or scripture

Some truths / doctrines are found in both

Example

Verbal
The apostles or the apostolic church teach there is only one God!

Also found in scripture
Deut. 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:

Both are tradition

Thanks

Where does it say what is the word of God? Send me a list of books (73) without missing chapters like Dan 13 & 14

1 John 4:1 ESV
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.

2 John 1:10 KJV
If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

How are we to objectively test the spirits except by God's written word?

G

Sorry

Those in error believe on their own private judgement not on the authority of Christ!

What is says is not always what it means.

We must accept the apostolic churches perpetual teaching and the meaning of the church founded by Christ.

Doctrines are to be understood in that sense which the perpetual consent of the Catholic Church hath held and expressed it.

Truth must be revealed by God thru Christ to His church (the apostles Jude 1:3) then must be proposed by the church, (Matt 28:19 gal 3:23) without error by the Holy Spirit! (Jn 16:13) one faith (eph 4:5) the faith delivered to the apostles (Jude 1:3)

Otherwise we fall under the condemnation of scripture!
2 pet 3:16

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.

If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

Jesus taught verbally for three years, are you not going to believe cos he did not write?

Are you saying the Christ and the apostles only had authority when they wrote? Most apostles and Christ never wrote anything

IRENAEUS
“As I said before, the Church, having received this preaching and this faith, although she is disseminated throughout the whole world, yet guarded it, as if she occupied but one house. She likewise believes these things just as if she had but one soul and one and the same heart; and harmoniously she proclaims them and teaches them and hands them down, as if she possessed but one mouth. For, while the languages of the world are diverse, nevertheless, the authority of the tradition is one and the same” (Against Heresies 1:10:2 [A.D. 189]).

“That is why it is surely necessary to avoid them [heretics], while cherishing with the utmost diligence the things pertaining to the Church, and to lay hold of the tradition of truth. . . . What if the apostles had not in fact left writings to us? Would it not be necessary to follow the order of tradition, which was handed down to those to whom they entrusted the churches?” (ibid., 3:4:1).

“It is possible, then, for everyone in every church, who may wish to know the truth, to contemplate the tradition of the apostles which has been made known throughout the whole world. And we are in a position to enumerate those who were instituted bishops by the apostles and their successors to our own times—men who neither knew nor taught anything like these heretics rave about.

“But since it would be too long to enumerate in such a volume as this the successions of all the churches, we shall confound all those who, in whatever manner, whether through self-satisfaction or vainglory, or through blindness and wicked opinion, assemble other than where it is proper, by pointing out here the successions of the bishops of the greatest and most ancient church known to all, founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles, Peter and Paul, that church which has the tradition and the faith which comes down to us after having been announced to men by the apostles.

“With this church, because of its superior origin, all churches must agree—that is, all the faithful in the whole world—and it is in her that the faithful everywhere have maintained the apostolic tradition” (ibid., 3:3:1–2).

The faith is in Christ alone, so faith alone apart from union with Christ is self-contradictory.

It is only your straw man of faith alone that excludes love of God.

I didn't say that the Gospel is not the Gospel.

If you believe in the truth of Romans 3:27, then you believe in faith alone.
Christ alone: really? Not biblical

John 5:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Romans 4:24
But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

Even if there was no New Testament scripture we would still have Christ in his church with the guarantee of the holy spirit
The faith is in Christ alone, so faith alone apart from union with Christ is self-contradictory.

i think we can agree that apart from Christ there can be no merit, union with Christ thru grace is necessary.

How do we find union with Christ?

Love of god

I guess you don’t believe your own precious sola

That pesky word alone!
Nothing can be added must be absolutely faith alone

Otherwise it ain’t alone

So you’re rejecting the sola and going with faith, love, etc.???

It’s ok I reject all five solas

“Deeds of the law” mosaic law!

My bible says it is a free gift based on the perfect obedience of Christ, (sorry about your's)..

Romans 5:18-19 KJV
Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. [19] For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
Everyone is righteous and saved?

Christ alone: really? Not biblical

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;
Both of those verses are in accordance with believing in Christ.

Even if there was no New Testament scripture we would still have Christ in his church with the guarantee of the holy spirit

i think we can agree that apart from Christ there can be no merit, union with Christ thru grace is necessary.

How do we find union with Christ?
The way that we find union with experiencing the expression of his nature through following his example of obedience to the Mosaic Law, such as by doing holiness, righteousness, goodness, justice, mercy, faithfulness, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentlest, and self-control.

“Deeds of the law” mosaic law!
The Mosaic Law is God's word and Jesus is God's word made flesh, so in other words, us embodying God's word is the way to have union with the one who is the embodiment of God's word.

Love of god

I guess you don’t believe your own precious sola

That pesky word alone!
Nothing can be added must be absolutely faith alone

Otherwise it ain’t alone

So you’re rejecting the sola and going with faith, love, etc.???

It’s ok I reject all five solas
We can be justified by faith alone insofar as there are no works that we can do to earn our salvation, but faith is not alone insofar as the same faith by which we are justified is also expressed through obedience to the Mosaic Law.

Why do you think everything is in scripture?

Jn 20:30 And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book:

31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

24 This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, (tradition) and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true.

25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

2 John 1:12
Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, andspeak face to face, that our joy may be full.

AUGUSTINE
“[T]he custom [of not rebaptizing converts] . . . may be supposed to have had its origin in apostolic tradition, just as there are many things which are observed by the whole Church, and therefore are fairly held to have been enjoined by the apostles, which yet are not mentioned in their writings” (On Baptism, Against the Donatists 5:23[31] [A.D. 400]).

BASIL THE GREAT
“Of the dogmas and messages preserved in the Church, some we possess from written teaching and others we receive from the tradition of the apostles, handed on to us in mystery. In respect to piety, both are of the same force. No one will contradict any of these, no one, at any rate, who is even moderately versed in matters ecclesiastical. Indeed, were we to try to reject unwritten customs as having no great authority, we would unwittingly injure the gospel in its vitals; or rather, we would reduce [Christian] message to a mere term” (The Holy Spirit 27:66 [A.D. 375]).

Instructions for baptism are found in the didache
I'll just follow what the Bereans did....Acts 17:11
Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

But you said scripture requires it?

Yes one savior

But you right it is a sola, but not biblical

Christ alone?

Yes....Christ alone. Certainly not Christ + a Pope.

Phil 1:29

29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

Cos it says not faith alone!
You're trying too hard.

Those in error believe on their own private judgement not on the authority of Christ!

What is says is not always what it means.
Sorry, I didn't realize you were part of the Emergent Church, questioning the 'meaning' of the Bible, or perhaps the Emergent Church is part of the RCC?

Jesus taught verbally for three years, are you not going to believe cos he did not write?

Are you saying the Christ and the apostles only had authority when they wrote? Most apostles and Christ never wrote anything
The apostles spent 40 days with the post resurrected Jesus. They kept a record of what He had taught.
How many days did your pope spend with the post resurrected Jesus?

Back