• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

How many verses are required to prove a false doctrine?

Our works are dead works until we are in Christ! Jn 15:5 apart from me you can do nothing. Nothing meritorious nothing salutary but the opposite is also true in Christ are works are living by his grace

Is sacrifice and suffering required for salvation and glorification?

Christ appointed Peter the pope head of the church on earth
And Peter put his stamp of approval on Paul's writings calling them scripture...

2 Peter 3:15-16 KJV
And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; [16] As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

This was in the face of Paul roundly rebuking Peter for his mishandling of the Gospel..

Galatians 2:9,11-12,14 KJV
And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.
So here above we see Peter was sent to the Jews. Is your pope sent only to the Jews?

[11] But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed. [12] For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision. [14] But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

Your pope does worse than Peter, instead of bringing the Gospel to the nations (or even the Jews), warning of hell, instead his #1 warning is about the environment! Talk about another Gospel!..

Galatians 1:,8-9 KJV
[8] But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. [9] As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Your 'Green pope' doesn't even have the 'traditional Gospel' if you want to claim tradition. What a disgrace!

Verbal or scripture

Some truths / doctrines are found in both

Example

Verbal
The apostles or the apostolic church teach there is only one God!

Also found in scripture
Deut. 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:

Both are tradition

Thanks
The "tradition" is based upon scripture...Deut. 6:4

Where does scripture say what is scripture? 66 books with missing chapters by the authority of the English Bible society who have zero authority or 73 complete books by the authority of Christ in his church!
With the guarantee of the Holy Spirit!
2nd Tim 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

I agree. Salvation comes only from LIVING our faith in Christ.
That would be wrong. We live our faith because of our salvation.
As far as baptism goes, I believe what the universal church teaches. Besides ~60% of Protestants believe in infant baptism. Even if it turns out to be incorrect, it would simply mean it doesn't matter and no one is destined to go to the hot place because they believe in being baptized.
In the Protestant Church infant baptism is more of a dedication. There is no removal, infusion or salvation in it.

You are in Christ, Christ is in Mary nine months and Mary gave birth to Christ and all those in Christ, what do call a person who gave birth to you?

Matt 19:26-28
Rev 12:17
I'm in Jesus' womb???

As she is Mother of Christ in the natural order, she is also the Mother of His Mystical Body, the Church, of which He is the Head in the order of grace.
Mary was a virgin chosen by God to give birth to Jesus. She was blessed because of that. In fact Mary needed her own son to die on the cross for her sins.

Do you reject the tradition of men found in the solas for the divine and apostolic tradition of Christ and his apostles found in dogma, councils, creeds, and the church fathers?
Nor quite sure what all of that means...but, probably.

That would be wrong. We live our faith because of our salvation.
How do Christians live their faith? I'll take a guess, imitate Jesus and obey His commandment to love your neighbor. Put another way: faith working through love. But how do you love your neighbor? Perhaps the corporal works of mercy?
In the Protestant Church infant baptism is more of a dedication.

There is no removal, infusion or salvation in it.
These are difference in beliefs. Catholics and many Protestant denominations believe otherwise. If those that believe in baptism are wrong, it doesn't matter. No one is destined for the hot place for beliefs that ultimately don't matter.

We’re under grace not the mosaic law!
In Psalms 119:29-30, he wanted to put false ways far from him, for God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey the Mosaic Law, and he chose the way of faith by setting it before him, so this is what it means to be under grace, and this has always been the one and only way of salvation by grace through faith. Likewise, in Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to walk in His way that he and Israel might know Him, in 1 Kings 2:1-3, God taught how to walk in His way through the Mosaic Law, and in John 17:3, eternal life is knowing God and Jesus, which is again salvation by grace through faith.

We find union by baptism gal 3:27
In Galatians 3:26-29, every aspect of being in children of God (1), in Christ (2), through faith (3), and children of Abraham and heirs to the promise (4) is directly connected with living in obedience to the Mosaic Law. In 1 John 3:4-10, those who do not practice righteousness in obedience to the Mosaic Law are not children of God (1). In 1 John 2:6, those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked, and he walked in obedience to the Mosaic Law, which again is why I said that obedience to it is the way to be unified with Christ (2). In Matthew 23:23, Jesus said that faith is one of the weightier matters of the Mosaic Law (3). In John 8:39, Jesus said that if they were children of Abraham then they would be doing the same works as him, and the works that they were instructed to do were in obedience to the Mosaic Law (4).

Is the mosaic law in effect?

The Ten Commandments are eternal of course
Indeed, God's righteousness is eternal (Psalms 119:142), therefore all of God's righteous laws are also eternal (Psalms 119:160), not just ten of them. The Bible often uses the same terms to describe aspects of God's nature as it does to describe aspects of the nature of God's law, such as with it being holy, righteous, and good (Romans 7:12), which is because it is God's instructions for how to know Him through acting in accordance with those aspects of His nature, so the fact that God's nature is eternal means that any instructions that God has given for how to act in accordance with His nature are eternally valid.

If we MUST “believe on him” then it’s not Christ alone and the sola is false!
Believing in Christ is not something other than believing in Christ, so your criticism falls flat.

Only those who cease from their self righteous works and receive God's gift of righteousness found in Jesus Christ and Him crucified.
Doing good works in obedience to God's law is testifying about God's goodness, which is why our good works bring glory to Him (Matthew 5:16) and are not about establishing our own goodness. Likewise, doing righteous works in obedience to God's law is testifying about God's righteousness, not about establishing our own. Self-righteous works do not involve relying on anyone else, so it is contradictory to think that we can become self-righteous by relying on what God has instructed. If God's law were His instructions for how to become self-righteous and God does not want us to do that, then it would follow that God therefore does not want to be obeyed, which is absurd considering that all throughout the Bible He wanted His people to repent and to return to obedience to His law, therefore it is not God's instructions for how to become self-righteous.

Becoming someone who has a character trait through faith means becoming someone who practices that trait through faith, so the gift of becoming righteous through faith is the gift of becoming someone who practices righteousness through faith. God's law is His instructions for how to practice His righteousness, not how to earn our righteousness. For example, God's law reveals that helping the poor is a way to practice God's righteousness, but no amount of helping then poor will ever cause someone to become righteous. So when God declares us to be righteous through faith, He is declaring us to be someone who practices His righteousness through faith in obedience to His law in accordance with following Christ's example, which is the gift righteousness found in Christ and him crucified.

How do Christians live their faith? I'll take a guess, imitate Jesus and obey His commandment to love your neighbor. Put another way: faith working through love. But how do you love your neighbor? Perhaps the corporal works of mercy?
Christians demonstrate their faith in many way...you mentioned a few of them.
Others include driving someone to a doctors appointment who can't take themselves.
Preparing a meal and taking it to a family.
Serving a meal to people who have no meal.....the list goes on and on.
These are difference in beliefs. Catholics and many Protestant denominations believe otherwise. If those that believe in baptism are wrong, it doesn't matter.
That would depend upon what they believe baptism does.
No one is destined for the hot place for beliefs that ultimately don't matter.
Everyone is destined "for the hot place"....we all fall short...the wages of sin is death. It is Jesus and only Jesus whom we can put our faith in to pay the price for our selves...trust in Jesus alone. Through Jesus' death on the cross He was the sacrificial atonement and died in our place so we can have our sins imputed to Jesus and His righteousness imputed to us.

Doing good works in obedience to God's law is testifying about God's goodness, which is why our good works bring glory to Him (Matthew 5:16) and are not about establishing our own goodness. Likewise, doing righteous works in obedience to God's law is testifying about God's righteousness, not about establishing our own. Self-righteous works do not involve relying on anyone else, so it is contradictory to think that we can become self-righteous by relying on what God has instructed. If God's law were His instructions for how to become self-righteous and God does not want us to do that, then it would follow that God therefore does not want to be obeyed, which is absurd considering that all throughout the Bible He wanted His people to repent and to return to obedience to His law, therefore it is not God's instructions for how to become self-righteous.

Becoming someone who has a character trait through faith means becoming someone who practices that trait through faith, so the gift of becoming righteous through faith is the gift of becoming someone who practices righteousness through faith. God's law is His instructions for how to practice His righteousness, not how to earn our righteousness. For example, God's law reveals that helping the poor is a way to practice God's righteousness, but no amount of helping then poor will ever cause someone to become righteous. So when God declares us to be righteous through faith, He is declaring us to be someone who practices His righteousness through faith in obedience to His law in accordance with following Christ's example, which is the gift righteousness found in Christ and him crucified.
@donadams was referring to salvation, not to sanctification. Even our 'best righteousness' according to the law falls woefully short when compared to Christ's righteousness, that was my point. So do we throw up our hands and ask "Why? Why try to be righteous?...until we realize that as regenerate saints, that it is God who is working in us both to will and do of His good pleasure. (Phil 2:12-13)
In short, I hate mixing law and Gospel. All glory goes to God.

@donadams was referring to salvation, not to sanctification. Even our 'best righteousness' according to the law falls woefully short when compared to Christ's righteousness, that was my point. So do we throw up our hands and ask "Why? Why try to be righteous?...until we realize that as regenerate saints, that it is God who is working in us both to will and do of His good pleasure. (Phil 2:12-13)
In short, I hate mixing law and Gospel. All glory goes to God.
Obedience to God's law has nothing to do with trying to have a righteousness that is good enough. Every righteous action testifies about God's righteousness, so there is no righteousness apart from the nature of who God is. God did not give His law for the purpose of teaching us how bring glory to ourselves, but for the purpose of teaching us how to bring glory to Him.

In Matthew 4:15-23, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, which was a light to the Gentiles, and God's law was how his audience knew what sin is (Romans 3:20), so repenting from our disobedience to it is a central part of the Gospel message and it is impossible to separate law from Gospel. Likewise, in Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to God's law is the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished through the cross, while trying to separate law from Gospel by returning to the lawlessness that Jesus gave himself to redeem us from is the way to reject what he accomplished through the cross.

Obedience to God's law has nothing to do with trying to have a righteousness that is good enough. Every righteous action testifies about God's righteousness, so there is no righteousness apart from the nature of who God is. God did not give His law for the purpose of teaching us how bring glory to ourselves, but for the purpose of teaching us how to bring glory to Him.
The purpose of the law was to bring us to Christ. Now, in Christ we have died to the law and alive to another that we may bear fruit for God. (Rom 7:4). We 'become righteous' and bear fruit totally due to His grace and not our 'works.

1 Corinthians 15:10 KJV
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

Romans 11:6 KJV
And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

The purpose of the law was to bring us to Christ. Now, in Christ we have died to the law and alive to another that we may bear fruit for God. (Rom 7:4). We 'become righteous' and bear fruit totally due to His grace and not our 'works.
In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to walk in His way that he and Israel might know Him, and in Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so the purpose of the law is to lead us to Christ by teaching us how to know him, which is eternal life (John 17:3). The purpose of the law is not to lead us to Christ so that we can then reject what he taught and go back to living in sin.

In Romans 3:27, Paul contrasted a law of works with a law of faith, in Romans 3:31 and Galatians 3:10-12, he contrasted a law that our faith upholds with a law that is not of faith, and in Romans 7:25-8:2, he contrasted the Law of God with the law of sin and contrasted the Law of the Spirit of Life with the law of sin and death, so it is important to correctly identify which law Romans 7:4 is referring to us dying to in order to avoid dying to the wrong law. It would not make sense to think that we need to die to God's law for how to be unified in Christ and to bear fruit for Him in order to do that, but rather we would need to die to a law that was hindering us from doing that in order to be free to do that, namely the law of sin.

The only way to become righteous is by grace through faith. Becoming righteous through faith means becoming someone who practices righteousness through faith in obedience to God's law in the same way that become becoming courageous means becoming someone who practices courageousness.

1 Corinthians 15:10 KJV
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

Romans 11:6 KJV
And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
Grace is a gift and gifts can't be earned, so grace is incompatible with works insofar as they are done to earn a wage, however, there are many other reasons for doing works that are in accordance with grace, which is why there are also many verses that connect grace and works. For example, in Psalms 119:29-30, he wanted to put false ways far from him, for God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey His law, and he chose the way of faith by setting it before him, so this has always been the one and only way of salvation by grace through faith, and the same with Exodus 33:13. In Genesis 6:8-9, Noah found grace in the eyes of God, he was a righteous man, and he walked with God, so God was gracious to him by teaching him to obey His law and he was righteous because he obeyed through faith. In Romans 1:5, we have received grace in order to bring about the obedience of faith. In Titus 2:11-13, our salvation is described as being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good, and to renounce doing what is ungodly, so God graciously teaching us to do those works is part of the content of His gift of salvation.

Christians demonstrate their faith in many way...you mentioned a few of them.
Others include driving someone to a doctors appointment who can't take themselves.
Preparing a meal and taking it to a family.
Serving a meal to people who have no meal.....the list goes on and on.
Yes, there are many ways to live our faith.
That would depend upon what they believe baptism does.
Orthodoxy (and it is only fair to add, also the Roman Catholics and Anglo-Catholics) has always held to baptismal regeneration. In other words, that spiritual life begins with baptism.

Baptismal regeneration is the name given to doctrines held by the Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Lutheran, Anglican churches, and other Protestant denominations which maintain that salvation is intimately linked to the act of baptism, without necessarily holding that salvation is impossible apart from it. Etymologically, the term means "being born again" (regeneration, or rebirth) "through baptism" (baptismal). Also many baptismal regeneration denominations recognize each others' baptism.

Everyone is destined "for the hot place"....we all fall short...the wages of sin is death. It is Jesus and only Jesus whom we can put our faith in to pay the price for our selves...trust in Jesus alone. Through Jesus' death on the cross He was the sacrificial atonement and died in our place so we can have our sins imputed to Jesus and His righteousness imputed to us.
I think that is a negative way to describe a religion of love. In 1 Corinthians 13:13 Paul says, “Three things will last forever: faith, hope, and love - and the greatest of these is love. But that is just my opinion.

And Peter put his stamp of approval on Paul's writings calling them scripture...

2 Peter 3:15-16 KJV
And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; [16] As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

This was in the face of Paul roundly rebuking Peter for his mishandling of the Gospel..

Galatians 2:9,11-12,14 KJV
And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.
So here above we see Peter was sent to the Jews. Is your pope sent only to the Jews?

[11] But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed. [12] For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision. [14] But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

Your pope does worse than Peter, instead of bringing the Gospel to the nations (or even the Jews), warning of hell, instead his #1 warning is about the environment! Talk about another Gospel!..

Galatians 1:,8-9 KJV
[8] But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. [9] As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Your 'Green pope' doesn't even have the 'traditional Gospel' if you want to claim tradition. What a disgrace!
I agree

I’m not defending any particular claimant but the papacy itself was instituted by Christ Isa22:21-22

I have my doubts about all claimants since Pius 12 and there have been imposters and anti-popes before

Just as Judas was an apostle does that nullify the apostles?

The "tradition" is based upon scripture...Deut. 6:4
Scripture is part of the tradition

The tradition is the revelation or word of God that is taught or communicated by Christ and the apostles

Back