• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Does God draw everyone?

Carbon

Courage, dear heart.
Reaction score
Faith
Reformed
Country
USA
Marital status
Married
Politics
Conservative
Does God draw everyone, and does He draw every one the same way?

Consider what Jesus said,
No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. John 6:44.

So, is the drawing universal? Or does God draw those He chose?

Can you prove your beliefs with scripture?

Does God draw everyone...
Yes, but not to the exact same end, although there is one common waypoint for all: the bent knee.
, and does He draw every one the same way?
Aside from Jesus being the only way to God? No. God is as diverse in His methods as He is infinite in His nature and ability.
No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. John 6:44.

How were those cited in Hebrews 11 drawn? Is every one of those examples identical.
Yes ;).

I'd start with the six basic means by which God has Made Himself known to humanity:

• The design of creation,
  • The laws of God written on the human heart,
  • The Law of Moses and by extension the whole of the written word,
  • The Person and work of the incarnate word,
  • The work of the Holy Spirit.
  • Miracles.

Any one or any combination of two or more provides a basis for diversity.

Last edited:
Yes, but not to the exact same end, although there is one common waypoint for all: the bent knee.
Hmmm. Where does He draw the reprobate to?

I am interested in scripture for your point here.

Aside from Jesus being the only way to God? No. God is as diverse in His methods as He is infinite in His nature and ability.

How were those cited in Hebrews 11 drawn? Is every one of those examples identical.
I believe all believers from Adam forward are drawn the same way.
Looking forward to it.
But I gotta go. See you later.
TTYL

Yes ;).

I'd start with the six basic means by which God has Made Himself known to humanity:

• The design of creation,
  • The laws of God written on the human heart,
  • The Law of Moses and by extension the whole of the written word,
  • The Person and work of the incarnate word,
  • The work of the Holy Spirit.
  • Miracles.

Any one or any combination of two or more provides a basis for diversity.
So do you believe the drawing of God in John 6 is universal for all Adams posterity, or, universal considering just the elect?

Does God draw everyone?​

Premise 1: One must know of Christ to be saved/drawn
Premise 2: Billions of people have died in last 2000 years who never heard of Christ
Conclusion: God does NOT draw everyone without exception. No need for Bible as proof

Jesus clarified also that the Father’s drawing (Gr. helkyo) is selective (cf. v. 37). Tom Constable (I'll take his word for the meaning of helkyo.

Does God draw everyone?​

Premise 1: One must know of Christ to be saved/drawn
Premise 2: Billions of people have died in last 2000 years who never heard of Christ
Conclusion: God does NOT draw everyone without exception. No need for Bible as proof

Jesus clarified also that the Father’s drawing (Gr. helkyo) is selective (cf. v. 37). Tom Constable (I'll take his word for the meaning of helkyo.
(y)

Hmmm. Where does He draw the reprobate to?
Destruction.

No one goes there on his own willingly and given the opportunity to avoid all would do so were they able.
I am interested in scripture for your point here.
👌

Hebrews 9:27
.....it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment....

All get judged. Everyone. All are brought to that one point. All are judged. Not all are condemned.

1 Corinthians 1:18-19
For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written, “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.”

Do you think the destruction just mentioned is limited to philosophy or epistemology?

Galatians 6:7-8
Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.

There are only two options: rotting decay ending in destruction or eternal life. Is the former autonomous of God? Does it not occur by God's active, willful design? You recently cited Romans 11's example of the irrelevancy of the human will (and work). Does that apply to Galatians 6:7-8? If so, then you've got your scripture.

Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it."

Both roads lead to Hebrews 9:27. Both roads exist by God's design. The exact same cross that saves also condemns. This particular passage is salient because while I was studying Hebrew recently I learned that the Hebrew word for "narrow" is also used to communicate walls, and difficulty, and can carry with it the connotation of conflict and judgment. If that is true and applicable to what Jesus was teaching his originally Jewish audience, then they would have understood him to be saying the road to eternal life is filled with difficulty and the road to destruction is filled with ease. Same endpoint; two different paths with two different methods.

John 12:31-33
"Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out. And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself." But He was saying this to indicate the kind of death by which He was to die.

Everyone is drawn to Jesus. Not everyone is drawn in salvation. Without posting many more verses, we necessarily understand all the Law, prophets and psalms testify to Christ (Lk. 24:27,44). That is one way God draws people to His Son. In contrast, Gentiles who do not have the Law instinctively perform the requirements of the Law showing the work of the Law written in their hearts, and Paul concludes that commentary with, "show the work of the Law written in their hearts." This, then is another pair of different "ways," with through the Law and another absent the Law. Both bring the person to the single point of Hebrews 9:27.
I believe all believers from Adam forward are drawn the same way.
Great.

Show me the scripture.
Looking forward to it.

TTYL
👍 The sentiment is mutual.

Destruction.

No one goes there on his own willingly and given the opportunity to avoid all would do so were they able.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. Even hear the quote by Lewis, "hell is locked from the inside?"

So do you believe the drawing of God in John 6 is universal for all Adams posterity, or, universal considering just the elect?
If you mean John 6:44 then the verse should be understood via whole scripture, including verses like Hebrews 9:27, John 3:18, and Acts 4:12. The exact same Jesus either condemns or saves. How someone gets there varies and either it happens irrelevant of God or by means God ordained from eternity. The former is, of course, untenable and posted solely to highlight the fact everything occurs one way or another by God, His design, His will, and His purpose.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Even hear the quote by Lewis, "hell is locked from the inside?"
Do you think hell was made apart from God? Was hell made apart from Genesis 2:17? If not, then Lewis does not conflict with Josheb at all, and you should be sure of it. ;)

Everyone is drawn to Jesus. Not everyone is drawn in salvation. Without posting many more verses, we necessarily understand all the Law, prophets and psalms testify to Christ (Lk. 24:27,44). That is one way God draws people to His Son. In contrast, Gentiles who do not have the Law instinctively perform the requirements of the Law showing the work of the Law written in their hearts, and Paul concludes that commentary with, "show the work of the Law written in their hearts." This, then is another pair of different "ways," with through the Law and another absent the Law. Both bring the person to the single point of Hebrews 9:27.
All those who are drawn believe.
26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.

27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
John 10

If you're of God, you hear, if you're drawn, you come. It's that simple.

All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37.
Everyone is drawn to Jesus. Not everyone is drawn in salvation.
I don't know where you get this from.

A person is drawn because God opens their heart, ..... And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul. Acts 16:14.
This woman is being drawn.

Not all are drawn, And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father. John 6:65. Its the Holy Spirit that is doing the drawing/wooing.

Judas is proof not all are drawn.
70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?

71 He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.
John 6.

In that scripture the drawing is coming to Him in saving faith, because He says He will give them eternal life. Within the entire context we find that only certain ones are drawn and those are the ones the Father is giving to Jesus. They would be the same ones we see in John 10---His sheep who hear His voice, who He knows, and they follow Him. They are the same ones in John 3 who the Spirit has regenerated. That drawing is not universal. They are the same ones we see in Romans who are foreknown, predestined, called, justified, glorified.

Last edited:

Does God draw everyone?​

He draws everyone who is sincerely seeking Him.

No exception.

God knows everyone's heart.

God cannot be mocked.

No, God doesn't draw everyone.
Does He "draw"....drag...everyone the same way? Probably.

God brings those to Christ Jesus whom He chooses.
Romans 9:14 is a start...
14What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Certainly not! 15 For He says to Moses:

“I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,

and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”f

16 So then, it does not depend on man’s desire or effort, but on God’s mercy

Not all are drawn, And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father. John 6:65. Its the Holy Spirit that is doing the drawing/wooing.
Personaly I don't see it as "wooing"...

In Acts 16:19 we see the same word used...dragged...

19When the girl’s owners saw that their hope of making money was gone, they seized Paul and Silas and dragged them before the authorities in the marketplace.

Paul and Silas were not wooed to come before the authorities.

In John 18:10...Peter didn't woo his sword out of it's sheath.....10 Then Simon Peter drew his sword and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear. The servant’s name was Malchus.

The word...1670. helkó...seems to indicate a certain power involved with the drawing. I tend to see it as not some sort of "here kitty, kitty" wooing.

All those who are drawn believe.
26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.

27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
John 10

If you're of God, you hear, if you're drawn, you come. It's that simple.

All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37.

I don't know where you get this from.

A person is drawn because God opens their heart, ..... And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul. Acts 16:14.
This woman is being drawn.

Judas is proof not all are drawn.
70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?

71 He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.
John 6.
That is incorrect and you've just misused scripture and contradicted yourself. John 10 is not the only use of drawing in scripture (that one mention does not define all of scripture), Judas was, in fact drawn, drawn as the son of perdition, drawn as the son of perdition by God's design, and drawn not to Jesus for purposes other than salvation.

Yes, a person is drawn because God opens his heart, but a person is also drawn in other ways (such as when their eyes are opened (or their ears), When you say "when" you are not talking about how. This op asks about how, not just if (or when).
Those are yes or no questions (and the second one assumes the "everyone" as a given). The questions beg explanation.
You have proven He does draw. You have not proven He draws everyone in the same way, especially not with scripture, and especially not in a manner disproving the many examples I provided.

I suppose it could be argued God used affliction to draw Naaman (2 Kings 5) and Nebuchadnezzar (Dan. 2-4) as a common method (or "way") but they were entirely different afflictions with entirely different methods for bring the pagan to acknowledging God as God. I think a reasonable case might be made for Naaman's conversion but not so much for Neb. Daniel was able to use Cyrus' pride when showing God had mentioned him in prophecy hundreds of years before Cyrus was born, drawing him to God's purpose, but not to salvation. The Bible is filled with diverse accounts of God's diverse ways of drawing men to His diverse purposes. In fact, if you say God has provided everyone some way of knowing the gospel then all have been drawn. You cannot then say, "All those who are drawn believe," without contradicting the belief all people know the gospel in some way sufficient to make them without excuse when they stand before God on the other side of the grave.

I've taken this from the "violating men's will" thread and posted it here because it's more topical to this op.
Joseb, why ask something you already know?
I'll rephrase the question so it asks for something I do not know.

What do you think are the differences, if any, between "called forth," and "drawn," and what do you think is the scriptural bases for your answer?
God passes over the reprobate. Then at judgment, they are called forth.
You're contradicting yourself. God's prior "passing over" over does not preclude or contradict His subsequent "calling forth" (or any prior calling forth, for that matter. You're going to run into conflict with some very plain and simple texts, such as "many are called but few are chosen" (Mt. 22:14). If nothing else, there are two callings, one prior to choosing and another after the grave. When consider in application to stories such as the wilderness wondering Hebrews, the army of Gideon (where more than 30,000 men were reduced to less than a tenth of that) or the example of the original twelve scripture provides repeated precedents of multiple ways for multiple purposes with multiple ends. Fixing on the one goal of salvation does not change the pattern or precedent. Saul was not drawn the same way as Simon, nor was the Centurion drawn the same way as the Philippian jailer. I was not drawn the same way your were drawn and I doubt any of us here would tell identical stories describing our conversion.
You can call it drawing or whatever you like, but you understand what I am saying.
I do not understand. I do not think you have done a very good job of articulating your views at all and I consider the request for scripture inconsistent in light of the dearth contained in your own posts. It's your op!
Sure it's correct. You're mixing up the history of the church age with the judgment. Then saying it's incorrect.
Never happened, and the Bible never mentions the phrase "church age." That's a man-made invention that conflicts with the fact the OT men of faith are made complete in us and the single line scripture draws from the assembly (qahal) to the church (ecclesia).

The fact remains the exact same Jesus is Lord of all but Savior of only some. Every knee will bow and the reason they will all bow before him is because his Father has made them do so, drawing every single human who has lived, is living, and will ever live before Christ to honor him before most of them are then carted off to the fiery lake. Because none will be able to say, "I did not know" every single one of them had a prior drawing, a drawing where somehow in some way that knowledge was made known to them so that having denied Christ they will be without excuse.

You've got way too many holes and inconsistencies in these posts for them to be correct.

John 3:14-15
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have eternal life.

When Jesus is lifted up those who believe in him will not perish but have eternal life.

John 12:32
And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself.

When Jesus is lifted up all men are drawn to him..... but only those who believe in him will have eternal life...... AND nothing in scripture states that drawing is the only drawing or the only means of drawing.

1 Timothy 2
3This is good and pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, 4who wants everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

2 Peter 3
9The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise as some understand slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish but everyone to come to repentance.

I suppose it could be argued God used affliction to draw Naaman (2 Kings 5) and Nebuchadnezzar (Dan. 2-4) as a common method (or "way") but they were entirely different afflictions with entirely different methods for bring the pagan to acknowledging God as God. I think a reasonable case might be made for Naaman's conversion but not so much for Neb. Daniel was able to use Cyrus' pride when showing God had mentioned him in prophecy hundreds of years before Cyrus was born, drawing him to God's purpose, but not to salvation. The Bible is filled with diverse accounts of God's diverse ways of drawing men to His diverse purposes. In fact, if you say God has provided everyone some way of knowing the gospel then all have been drawn. You cannot then say, "All those who are drawn believe," without contradicting the belief all people know the gospel in some way sufficient to make them without excuse when they stand before God on the other side of the grave.
The OP gave a specific scripture. "Drawn" is being used however it is being used by the person who spoke it, when he speaks it. In the scripture that was quoted, Jesus is speaking of those who come to Him in a saving relationship. That is clear because He says He will give them eternal life. No one will come into this saving relationship (believe) unless God draws them. Later in the conversation He says no one can come to Him unless it is granted by the Father.

The OP gave a specific scripture.
Yep.
"Drawn" is being used however it is being used by the person who spoke it, when he speaks it.
Yep.
In the scripture that was quoted, Jesus is speaking of those who come to Him in a saving relationship.
Yep.
That is clear because He says He will give them eternal life.
Yep (although technically what Jesus said was he would raise them up on the last day. that is resurrection. eternal life precedes in verse 40 and follows in verses 47 and 54).
No one will come into this saving relationship (believe) unless God draws them.
Yes, and that "draw" has been elaborated on to indicate an active, strenuous or forceful monergistic drawing, not a passive drawing dependent on help from the fish in the net.
Later in the conversation He says no one can come to Him unless it is granted by the Father.
Yep.

Everything in Post 19 has been acknowledged and added to over the last 19 posts, as well as several in the thread that prompted this op. Is there some specific furtherance of this discussion in Post 19 I am supposed to garner because, if so, I have missed it. Would you mind clarifying it? thx

Back