• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

What does "Deity of Christ" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it does,

Which He could have caused and allowed.

Luke 24:52 is in reference to Jesus.
God never commanded anyone to worship Jesus as God in the Bible, Jesus never commanded anyone to worship him as God in the Bible, none of the examples of Jesus being bowed to in are context of him being God, and where Jesus prescribed worship he said to give it to the Father in "spirit and truth."

The kind of bowing down to that you are describing isn't the kind of "worship" God is seeking. God doesn't need nor desire your appearance of humility and submission, but rather your genuine, sincere, devotion of a life of sacrifice given in worship.

John 4​
23But a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth, for the Father is seeking such as these to worship Him. 24God is Spirit, and His worshipers must worship Him in spirit and in truth.”​
Romans 1​
1Therefore I urge you, brothers, on account of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.
Philippians 2​
10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,​
11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,​
to the glory of God the Father.

Luke 24:52 is sill there.
Actually engage my points if you are brave enough to go there. And yet Luke 2:52 makes no reference of worshipping Jesus.

You are in error.
The pronoun refers to Jesus.
You seem to be looking for a hill to die on, to so speak. The context doesn't refer to Jesus.

Luke 2
52And they worshiped Him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy, 53praising God continually in the temple.

The Bible has buzzwords? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Sure the Bible has buzzwords. Worship, works, etc, all come with specific assumptions that don't apply the same way in every context.
What is the context of those verses @Fred gave that changes worship into something else? And what does it change it to?
Bowing down to someone, which is what people did for Jesus, isn't the kind of worship God is looking for. Not only was just not being called God when he was bowed to, but bowing to someone doesn't automatically mean someone is God. This is all over the Old Testament.

1 Kings 1
23So the king was told, “Nathan the prophet is here.” And Nathan went in and bowed facedown before the king.

Do you believe Nathan committed idolatry?

And do you say that because you think the Savior is a creature, and therefore you have to find a way to change worship into something that isn't worship?
Jesus is a human so yes he is a creature. The Bible says a man died for my sins, not that God died for my sins. If Jesus isn't a man then he isn't even a human and he wouldn't be a man. In your theology the Bible is in grave error.

Another question. How can what is not eternal give eternal life if it is not itself eternal? Doesn't Jesus say He is life rather than He has life?
The better question is... how does Jesus being the way, truth, and life transfer to you? Do you need to do something? Perhaps you need to believe the truth he told from God, follow the ways he saw God do, and receive the eternal life that Jesus received from the Father?

You seem to be looking for a hill to die on, to so speak. The context doesn't refer to Jesus.

Luke 2
52And they worshiped Him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy, 53praising God continually in the temple.

Already refuted in post 174.

Sure the Bible has buzzwords. Worship, works, etc, all come with specific assumptions that don't apply the same way in every context.
Try a different smokescreen.

buzzword/bŭz′wûrd″/

noun​

1. An stylish or trendy word or phrase, especially when occurring in a specialized field.
  2. A word drawn from or imitative of technical jargon, and often rendered meaningless and fashionable through abuse by non-technical persons in a seeming show of familiarity with the subject.
  3. Stock phrases that have become nonsense through endless repetition.

Bowing down to someone, which is what people did for Jesus, isn't the kind of worship God is looking for. Not only was just not being called God when he was bowed to, but bowing to someone doesn't automatically mean someone is God. This is all over the Old Testament.
People did not bow down before Jesus in His earthly life. In Acts it does not say they bowed down to Him as He ascended back to the Father. It says they worshiped Him. You are now conflating bowing to worshiping and the subject is worship---which you dismiss as a buzzword.

There was a custom in those days of bowing to those in authority and in respect, much as we shake hands. And every knee shall bow before Jesus as Lord. And Lord is God. Even you acknowledge that there is only one Lord.
1 Kings 1
23So the king was told, “Nathan the prophet is here.” And Nathan went in and bowed facedown before the king.

Do you believe Nathan committed idolatry?
No. Nathan was following the custom of kneeling before the king as a form of honor and submission. When we kneel before the Great King it is worship for only He is worthy of worship. And who is King of kings and Lord of lords? Rev 17:14 They will make war on the lamb, and the Lamb will conquer them, for he is Lord of lords and King of kings, and those with him are called and chosen and faithful.
The same name is applied to God the Father in 1 Tim 6:12-16 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who in his testimony before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, to keep the commandment unstained and free from reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which he will display at the proper time -- he who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone has immortality , who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal dominion. Amen.
Jesus is a human so yes he is a creature. The Bible says a man died for my sins, not that God died for my sins. If Jesus isn't a man then he isn't even a human and he wouldn't be a man. In your theology the Bible is in grave error.
The grave error is that you continue to argue a straw man. Trinitarianism states plainly that Jesus is a human. Before the incarnation He is known as the Word, the Son, the Rock, the Pillar of Fire, the cloud, the Angel (messenger) of the Lord and in the incarnation, His name is Jesus. Trinitarianism does not say that God died. It says the man Jesus died. But FYI what is eternal and self existent and spirit, and immortal, cannot die.
The better question is... how does Jesus being the way, truth, and life transfer to you?
That is not a better question. It is a way of not answering the ones that were asked. When you answer them, I will answer the ones you asked.

Here is another question. Be gracious enough to answer it. Does it ever give you pause, that a word like worship is even understood by children with no ambiguity, and yet, here comes a religion that has to make it into a puzzle and find another meaning for it other than its meaning? Have you ever questioned why such a silly thing became of supreme importance in defending that religions teaching on who Jesus is? Why their teaching made it necessary? Put on your thinking cap.

Already refuted in post 174.
No. A refute would be you proved something. The verse you quoted doesn't say anything about worshipping Jesus nor does it fit the context.

Try a different smokescreen.

buzzword/bŭz′wûrd″/

noun​

1. An stylish or trendy word or phrase, especially when occurring in a specialized field.
  2. A word drawn from or imitative of technical jargon, and often rendered meaningless and fashionable through abuse by non-technical persons in a seeming show of familiarity with the subject.
  3. Stock phrases that have become nonsense through endless repetition.
Seems you're just wanting to be contracitory.

The definition for buzzword according to Oxford languages is:

a word or phrase, often an item of jargon, that is fashionable at a particular time or in a particular context.

People did not bow down before Jesus in His earthly life. In Acts it does not say they bowed down to Him as He ascended back to the Father. It says they worshiped Him. You are now conflating bowing to worshiping and the subject is worship---which you dismiss as a buzzword.

There was a custom in those days of bowing to those in authority and in respect, much as we shake hands. And every knee shall bow before Jesus as Lord. And Lord is God. Even you acknowledge that there is only one Lord.

No. Nathan was following the custom of kneeling before the king as a form of honor and submission. When we kneel before the Great King it is worship for only He is worthy of worship. And who is King of kings and Lord of lords? Rev 17:14 They will make war on the lamb, and the Lamb will conquer them, for he is Lord of lords and King of kings, and those with him are called and chosen and faithful.
The same name is applied to God the Father in 1 Tim 6:12-16 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who in his testimony before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, to keep the commandment unstained and free from reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which he will display at the proper time -- he who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone has immortality , who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal dominion. Amen.

The grave error is that you continue to argue a straw man. Trinitarianism states plainly that Jesus is a human. Before the incarnation He is known as the Word, the Son, the Rock, the Pillar of Fire, the cloud, the Angel (messenger) of the Lord and in the incarnation, His name is Jesus. Trinitarianism does not say that God died. It says the man Jesus died. But FYI what is eternal and self existent and spirit, and immortal, cannot die.

That is not a better question. It is a way of not answering the ones that were asked. When you answer them, I will answer the ones you asked.

Here is another question. Be gracious enough to answer it. Does it ever give you pause, that a word like worship is even understood by children with no ambiguity, and yet, here comes a religion that has to make it into a puzzle and find another meaning for it other than its meaning? Have you ever questioned why such a silly thing became of supreme importance in defending that religions teaching on who Jesus is? Why their teaching made it necessary? Put on your thinking cap.
There are no examples of Jesus being worshipped "as God." All of the examples refer to being the son of God. As I already proved using Nathan, bowing to someone doesn't mean someone is being deified. In some cultures, such as those in Biblical times, bowing to someone of high status, someone like Jesus they wanted to be king, isn't worship as God.

There are no examples of Jesus being worshipped "as God." All of the examples refer to being the son of God. As I already proved using Nathan, bowing to someone doesn't mean someone is being deified. In some cultures, such as those in Biblical times, bowing to someone of high status, someone like Jesus they wanted to be king, isn't worship as God.
Did you even read my post?

Seems you're just wanting to be contracitory.

The definition for buzzword according to Oxford languages is:

a word or phrase, often an item of jargon, that is fashionable at a particular time or in a particular context.
Contradictory? That would be you contradicting the definition of buzzword taken straight from the Am Heritage Dictionary by searching for one that you think is giving a different definition. You emphasize "in a particular context" as though that settled it---ignoring the "jargon," and "fashionable at a particular time," and the "or." That is the same exact way you arrive at your interpretations of the Bible. Nine times out of ten it comes out looking foolish. As it does here. Do you honestly think that the word "worship" when it occurs in the Bible (or anywhere) becomes a buzzword because it is used in the Bible and the Bible then becomes the particular context that makes it a buzzword?

Here are some other dictionary defs, none of which change the meaning even though they use different words, some more concise than others
https://www.merriam-webster.com › dictionary › buzzwordhttps://dictionary.cambridge.org › dictionary › english › buzzwordhttps://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Buzzword
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Buzzword

Which I did.
The "Him" refers to Jesus.
You've proved nothing. You can't refute the Bible using the Bible. And yet you still have nothing about Jesus worshipped as God. As you may be noticing by now, every time you engage me about the Bible I run the field. I have the upper hand and all of the explicit declarations about God, prayer, worship, etc solidly in my corner. I am a Christian.

Did you even read my post?
Yes I read it. Rather than inform you about your non sequitur for several paragraphs, it's better to be constructive with the bits that will help you.

Contradictory? That would be you contradicting the definition of buzzword taken straight from the Am Heritage Dictionary by searching for one that you think is giving a different definition. You emphasize "in a particular context" as though that settled it---ignoring the "jargon," and "fashionable at a particular time," and the "or." That is the same exact way you arrive at your interpretations of the Bible. Nine times out of ten it comes out looking foolish. As it does here. Do you honestly think that the word "worship" when it occurs in the Bible (or anywhere) becomes a buzzword because it is used in the Bible and the Bible then becomes the particular context that makes it a buzzword?

Here are some other dictionary defs, none of which change the meaning even though they use different words, some more concise than others
https://www.merriam-webster.com › dictionary › buzzwordhttps://dictionary.cambridge.org › dictionary › english › buzzwordhttps://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Buzzword
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Buzzword
Seems you want to play a game of "my book against your book" as I already stated a buzzword is a word or phrase, often an item of jargon, that is fashionable at a particular time or in a particular context. It's in the Oxford Languages dictionary. Deal with it.

For you tom say the "Him" in Luke 24:52 is not in reference to Jesus is ludicrous.
And yet you've proved nothing. Your making claims and not really saying anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back