• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

The Book of Revelation: Amillennial/idealist Interpretive Method

I completely agree. Do you think Revelation is a literal genre?
It is literally apocalyptic prophecy.
So, help me (and the lurkers) understand how an "Amillennial/idealist" is different than what Idealism says; how you do not believe what Idealism says about the visions of Revelation is what is conveyed?
An amillennial/idealist is an idealist who is amillennial. I can't make sense of the part of the sentence that follows the semi colon.
Are you aware of any of the categories listed in this op never reading any scripture allegorically?
No.
Is Revelation thought to be wholly or solely allegorical?
Some people probably think that. Some people think the whole Bible is allegorical. I don't think there is a category in orthodox Christianity that states Revelation is all allegory. Are you driving somewhere or just idling the engine? :)

The book of revelation is not a puzzle to be solved. If people would stop treating it as one, we might actually get its meaning and purpose. I doubt seriously if any Jewish believer or any Gentile believer who had familiarized themselves with the OT---their scriptures---had a minutes difficulty with what was being written to them. It says in the title The Revelation of Jesus Christ. Now does that mean from Him or about Him?

In a very strong way in the visions we see an overview of the entire Bible and the role Jesus played in it and is playing in all things right this minute. Sometimes we see these things in symbolic form from the very heavens, rather than from earth. We even get a symbolic look into heaven. It assure the recipients of the letter and now us, that everything is under God's control. Stand your ground, no matter what.

Last edited:
It is literally apocalyptic prophecy.
lol! "literally"

Yes, it is apocalyptic prophecy, and prophecy is a genre much different than other genres (such as history, art, or gospel). Apocalyptic prophecy is a genre within a genre. I don't know whether you've read the post but our Dispensational brother thinks Revelation is about "Daniel to Revelation." I'm sure he misspoke (at least I hope so) because the premise is absurd. There are almost 350 OT references in Revelation and many of them come from the books prior to Daniel. Knowing that is very important to understanding the apocalyptic prophecy genre and the specific prophecy(-ies) of Revelation.

And..... the interpretive tools such as using scripture to interpret scripture are not optional. They are necessary. You and I are gonna use the construct of covenant and (bear with me because I am taking the liberty to speak on what I presume are both our behalves but I might be wrong) you and I are going to read the covenant content in various ways, literal, allegorical, and anagogical because that is example of the New Testament writers (and as Christians we follow their example). I can provide examples of each, if desired. Feel free to correct me if I have presumed in error. The chief problem in the modern Church-wide millennial debate is the irony of Dispensationalism. They claim to read scripture literally but there are very few examples where scripture uses the word "dispensation"! That entire eschatology is built on a term rarely found.*
An amillennial/idealist is an idealist who is amillennial.
I appreciate that clarity because 1) it reads the other way around, 2) Idealism is a minority pov, eschatologically speaking, and 3) an Idealist who is amillennial is different than an Amillennialist with Idealist leanings. I ascribe to Amillennialism, but I have Post mil leanings. I don't fit neatly into the entire Amil pov but I'm still firmly Amil. I also accept the Idealist premise scripture describes cycles that recapitulate in human history and will continue to do so until Christ returns - but I do not subscribe to the majority Idealist position, it's approach to reading scripture or its methods of interpretation.

We've got three Amillennialists here, two of whom are Idealists, and a Dispy :D. Or, now that I better understand your pov and the op in that context, we've got two Idealists of two different shades, a preterist apostamillennialist ;), and a Dispy..... all trying to discuss the interpretive method of the Idealist who is amillennial.

Just wait until more Dispensationalists show up.

*I'm trying to keep that set of exchanges limited to the title of the op. It's challenging because the enormous differences lead to digression if not brought back to the op.

I can't make sense of the part of the sentence that follows the semi-colon.
Yeah. Lemme see if I can clarify that. I may not have understood part of Post 97 correctly. One sentence says, "One could read that an make the assumption of what it is saying and then become entirely allegorical and analogical* in their interpretation," and I thought that was a reference to Idealist readers. The next sentence says, "But I do not believe that is what it is conveying." Therefore, if an Idealist thinks Revelation is "entirely allegorical" and you do not that means you hold a different view and still think of yourself as Idealist who is amillennial.

I just wanted to know how you see it and how you arrive at the that view.
Me, neither.
Some people probably think that. Some people think the whole Bible is allegorical. I don't think there is a category in orthodox Christianity that states Revelation is all allegory. Are you driving somewhere or just idling the engine? :)
I agree and I'm gathering information (can't reply to what I don't know or understand) and trying to build from that information.
The book of revelation is not a puzzle to be solved.
I agree. I do not find it particularly difficult to understand, especially when applying some of the tools and methods mentioned in the op and those I've added. The "puzzle" comment was in reference to something Poythress said about Revelation
If people would stop treating it as one, we might actually get its meaning and purpose.
I agree.

Aside from thinking Revelation is a puzzle, the biggest obstacle is our allegiances to our ~isms.
I doubt seriously if any Jewish believer or any Gentile believer who had familiarized themselves with the OT---their scriptures---had a minutes difficulty with what was being written to them. It says in the title The Revelation of Jesus Christ. Now does that mean from Him or about Him?
I COMPLTELY AGREE!!!

But I get a lot of flack over the concept of "original meaning" or "original understanding." Futurists typically deny the book was written specifically for the original readers. It's written for the group of people to whom those events happen (according to some).
In a very strong way in the visions we see an overview of the entire Bible and the role Jesus played in it and is playing in all things right this minute.
Yes, the book is definitely Christological but I do not think that Revelation is unique that way. All the books of the Bible are Christological.
Sometimes we see these things in symbolic form from the very heavens, rather than from earth.
Yep. Many times (including in this thread) have I observed Jesus does not come to the earth until the very end of the book. The Premillennialists disagree.
We even get a symbolic look into heaven. It assure the recipients of the letter and now us, that everything is under God's control. Stand your ground, no matter what.
Yep. Here again, however, I do not find Revelation particularly unique. All the books of the Bible communicate the sovereignty of God; He is in control (as if there was some other option ;)).

Where we might part ways is that I, as a partial-preterist Amillennialist who accepts God is in control, history repeats itself as the Bible has described, and Revelation is a book filled with symbols that should be understood using other scripture...... I believe most of Revelation has transpired in events of the first century, but the book is still meaningful to any and all Christians of any and all eras. The prophecies are most fulfilled, but the lessons learned and the meaning to be applied are eternal.

But I'll work to support your goals for this op 😁. I hope to learn more about your views on the Idealist amillennial methods of interpretation.

* "analogical" or "anagogical"?

But then let me dissent the comment about not using extra-biblical sources because we are discussing millennial views and the amillennial position was doctrinally, largely an invention of an extra-biblical source (Augustine) as are ALL of the various millennial positions. We are all discussing things developed after the canon of scripture was closed, using extra-biblical source and it is disingenuous to pretend otherwise.
First, let me say I'll will try to post some today, maybe not much, since I'm leaving in the morning for a grandson's wedding In Atlanta, Ga. and will be tied up until the first part of the next week, not sure when we are heading back. I leave my computer on always and sometimes on the sight I'm posting on, I have very seldom turned it off in the last eight years or so, except to work on it, for the most part. So, though it may show me here, I might not be here.

Who are you accusing of being slightly dishonest?

And as far as the hogwash about preterists' second Bible, I have addressed that early on by stating the interpretive method of preterists is an exegetical reading of scripture that emphasizes the literal reading of scripture and does so much more than most, even the Dispensationalists. Neither do we make post hoc arguments to assert our Amillennial/Postmillennial conclusions. The only time that comes up is in answer to the question, "When did that happen?" and that question is always fallacious because post hoc answers are always fallacious.

You will not find me making those arguments to reach my millennial view.
I see you did not like that, and I really cannot blame you, folks should be ashamed even using such a infidel in supporting a so-called biblical truth that they are holding on to. I said that because I have heard men say that right beside of their bible ( s...they have a few of them btw ) on their desh sits Joeshphus' war of the Jews ~ so, I was only repeating what I have heard straight from their own mouths, and I think 3 Resurrection was one of those men that said that, he can correct me if I'm wrong.

I can appeal to the histories of the time but I do not need to do so, and if you examine my eschatological posts in any forum you will find me posting scripture and piles of it, rarely if ever making any appeals to Josephus, Tacitus, etc.
Then why do so?

Well, let us see those piles of scriptures and let us stop talking back and forth, I'm ready to consider both sides using only the word of God. Let see who's standing when it it all said and done. No pun intended Josheb, but talking back and forth is proving not one thing.

So please correct your view of preterism.
Sir, I have nothing so far to correct, If you can take the word of God and correct me, then I will thank you for doing so, if not, then do not expect an apology from me for you will not get one. No preterist has ever given me a reason to apologize, and truly I do not think they can~I've been at this for fifty years, and I see them as the most dangerous of the eschatology four major views on end time events~if they can be rated...error is error and is to be rejected by God's children.
Those holding to Pertertism are so ready to rubber stamp most scriptures fulfilled 70 A. D.! leaving the child of God with almost no bible to trust in and to be used to prepared for the evil days coming just before Jesus returns again, which many of them flat out reject!

It is not a method; it is a position, and it is a position we reach by the plain and exegetical reading of scripture.
Josheb, all four views can say the very exact same thing you are saying.

It is not a method; it is a position, and it is a position we reach by the plain and exegetical reading of scripture.
We shall see.

So when the book of Revelation explicitly states the time is at hand do you apply sola scriptura, the plain reading of scripture, original meaning, and scripture interpreting scripture to take those words exactly as written? If the word "near" or the phrase, "at hand" (Greek = "engys") is examined in the New Testament we find God NEVER uses the word "near to mean anything other than near in time or space. NEVER. New Testament scripture never allows for any other usage.

Anyone truly sticking to the practice of using scripture to interpret scripture cannot make Revelation 1:3 and 22:10 mean anything other than what is plainly stated.

So let me put you on the spot: Do you actually practice sola scripture and the three most basic, fundamental rules of exegesis (one of which you cited) and thereby read the "near" to mean near, is is the normal meaning of the word in everyday usage?

If not, the please briefly explain the interpretive method used to make the "near" mean something other than what is plainly stated with the normal ordinary meaning of the word that is 100% wholly consistent never waveringly consistent with every other example of "near" in the New Testament. Please do not appeal to Psalm 90:4 and 2 Peter 3.8. Neither verse uses the word "near."
I have no problem with these two scriptures in Revelation~nor, with all of the scriptures in between 1:3 to 22:10!

What are clearly in between those two scriptures? The end of the world is stated to come to and end in more than one chapter, beginning with chapter six!

The Great White Throne Judgement takes place in between those two scriptures. That is reserved for the LAST DAY, after the resurrection of all, both the righteous and the wicked. Per Daniel 12; John 5; and many other scriptures.

The New heaven and New earth is created in between those two scriptures, this has never taken place per 2nd Peter 3 when this earth shall be destroyed with fire.

Gog and magog are destroyed in between those two scriptures~the antichrist nations of this world~this has never happened but will.
The New Jerusalem, the tabernacle of God, comes down out of heaven onto the New earth in her glorified eternal state having the glory of Jesus CHrist her husband world without end. This has never happened not even close.

Yes, time is at hand in God's view of time, not necessarily our understanding of time, and even if it is in our understanding of time what truly is is two thousand years in comparison to eternity? Nothing at all....... even three thousand! Two thousand years removed from the cross is truly NOTHING in comparison to eternity! Christ's coming truly is AT HAND even more so now.

So, the question that needs to be ask is....Is Crist coming quickly? He said yes, what saith you?

Satan's target of deception (back when he was still in existence) was devoted to both individuals and nations. You can't really have nations that don't include individuals. Satan's change from a formerly "anointed cherub" into a fallen state was sometime in the years between Creation week and the time He was deceiving Eve: a timespan of about 36 years by scripture comparison. But again, a topic better served in a post dedicated to that theme instead.
He is still in existence as the accuser of the brethren 24/7.

When the veil was rent or cut off used represent the foreskin( circumcision) of the Son of man Jesus. . . there was no Jewish King of kings sitting there in the Holy of Holies. Satan could no longer deceive all the nations of the world that God is a king according to what the eyes see . (the temporal corrupted)

He fell and is held in a bottomless ,never ending Judgment (Revelation 20:3 all the nations of the whole world ) he will be released for a short while to again build another abomination of desolation "kings in Israel" along with all the trimming temple made with human hands red heifer etc as a idol images.

Three groups

The atheists no God

The believer yoked with God

God

Carefully prayerfully I would offer.

1 Samuel 8:6-7 But the thing displeased Samuel, when they said, Give us a king to judge us. And Samuel prayed unto the Lord.And the Lord said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign over them.

Atheist
blaspheming the Holy Spirit .

1 Samuel 8:10 And Samuel told all the words of the Lord unto the people that asked of him a king.

1 Samuel 8:19 Nevertheless the people refused to obey the voice of Samuel; and they said, Nay; but we will have a king over us;

1 Samuel 8:22 And the Lord said to Samuel, Hearken unto their voice, and make them a king. And Samuel said unto the men of Israel, Go ye every man unto his city.

Yeah. Lemme see if I can clarify that. I may not have understood part of Post 97 correctly. One sentence says, "One could read that an make the assumption of what it is saying and then become entirely allegorical and analogical* in their interpretation," and I thought that was a reference to Idealist readers. The next sentence says, "But I do not believe that is what it is conveying." Therefore, if an Idealist thinks Revelation is "entirely allegorical" and you do not that means you hold a different view and still think of yourself as Idealist who is amillennial.

I just wanted to know how you see it and how you arrive at the that view.

The law of interptation in so much that without parable figure of the unseen things of God Christ in us spoke not .He reveals the parables to some, to many others fewer

Some simply literalize looking at the historical and not the eternal vision. . hid in parables the proper tool is needed below

2 Corinthians 4:18King James Version18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Its where the law of interpretation comes in. Faith or power of God comes from believing God not seen revealed by the temporal things seen

It's the faith as God's power that comes from hearing the understanding of mysteries as parables The things seen the temporal must be mixed with the unseen eternal .The purpose of parables the mixing formula spoken of in Hebrew 4>. . no mixing no gospel

Hebrews 4King James Version4 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

Don't throw out the hidden meaning of the word (parable)as the water of the word along with the baby .

The "sealing" of scripture prophecy you mentioned above is most definitely God reserving the fulfillment for a later time down the road. Daniel 12:8-9 made that point very clear at that time. This is why the "unsealing" of the book's seven seals by the Lamb in Revelation 6 tells us that the time had then arrived in John's days for fulfillment to take place.

It is also why John in Revelation 10:4 was told to "seal up" what things the 7 thunders uttered, since that particular set of events would again be reserved for the generations future to John's days.

I know this was a question for RB, but yes, the original readers of Revelation would have been able to understand Revelation's symbols. That was the very purpose behind God giving John the Revelation - "to show unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass." Daniel 12:10 predicted for the "time of the end" that "none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand". Daniel himself claimed not to understand what he heard at the time, but that was not going to be true for the wise when the "time of the end" had arrived.

Christ said in John 16:13 He was going to leave the Spirit of Truth when He departed this world, and that the Comforter would "show you things to come". 1 John 2:20 testified that this was true: that the believers had "an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things." Paul also testified of the Thessalonians that they were not in darkness about the day of the Lord's coming, and that he had no need to write to them about the times or seasons (1 Thessalonians 5:1-4). They knew more back then than most today know about those things.
Briefly~Daniel's prophecy was sealed up until Christ unsealed it with his own prophecy by explaining to us the overall message of Daniel's prophecy in his last teachings before leaving this world in the Olivet discourse. The apostles took that with them and taught the saints concerning a time when the man of sin would sit and declare himself to be God, ( not verbally ) doing so, by rejecting God's truths for their own doctrines and their own man made religion suitable to them serving their own sinful flesh~per 2nd Thess. 2.

There was no reason to seal Revelation, since there would be no more scriptures given to inform us of the latter days of the last days beginning with Christ going until he returns the second time.

I do not label myself as anything unless someone asks. Then I would say I am amillennialist (for sure) and if I had to pick a category, it would be idealism. I actually posted the OP, not to put forth my views, but because in all that I have read of the eschatology threads, (which is not all of them) it is dispensationalism that is discussed and the millennial views debated. I find places in all the views that I think might be true, and am inclined towards, and places where I think, "I don't think so." And those reactions are based on what I do know of what is given in the whole counsel of God.

I don't engage in them much because pre mil, pre trib, dispensationalists are so dogmatic as though the book is black and white and completely understood, and indisputable. (And it is not. Not by anyone.)They state their beliefs as absolutes and are prone to anger at disagreement. Some things are absolutes as truth, and are indisputable, but that is not one of them. I have even run into dispensationalists who declare that not believing that view affects one's salvation.

If someone says they are an idealist and thinks the book of Revelation is allegory and anagocial and interprets it that way, or if they don't, it makes no difference to me. As long as they get the message.
But I get a lot of flack over the concept of "original meaning" or "original understanding." Futurists typically deny the book was written specifically for the original readers. It's written for the group of people to whom those events happen (according to some).
And to that I say, letters are not generally written to no one and about nothing that concerns them. Those things, even in the visions were happening to them. They were under severe persecution and they were surrounded by paganism, and pagan governments. And we see in the seven churches they were dealing with this, and it was causing them to compromise or suffer, and doubt. They needed correction and encouragement. But also, and its purpose in being placed in our Bible by God, and we see it in the visions---these things are happening all through the church age up to this very day, in different places, at different times, and to different degrees. (We see an incredibly compromised church right here in our time, that began to take hold in the age of enlightenment. False teachers, and lukewarm shepherds, are rampant.)

The church has always been persecuted and tempted to compromise. And I believe that Revelation does show us that the persecution of the church will become world wide and come from governments near the end. We have always needed this book to encourage and remind and trust.

I appreciate that clarity because 1) it reads the other way around, 2) Idealism is a minority pov, eschatologically speaking, and 3) an Idealist who is amillennial is different than an Amillennialist with Idealist leanings. I ascribe to Amillennialism, but I have Post mil leanings. I don't fit neatly into the entire Amil pov but I'm still firmly Amil. I also accept the Idealist premise scripture describes cycles that recapitulate in human history and will continue to do so until Christ returns - but I do not subscribe to the majority Idealist position, it's approach to reading scripture or its methods of interpretation.
It is simply, in my view anyway, more balanced rhythmically to say amillennial/idealist than the other way around. It still means the same thing. What do you think is the idealist approach to reading scripture and its methods of interpretation? And by scripture do you mean all of scripture or just the book of Revelation? Because I think the categories of interpreting Revelation pertainto Revelation, except where they are directly related to prophecies in the OT. And even then, I think it is more (since the NT) of Revelation interpreting those prophecies in relation to us rather than trying to interpret Revelation by the OT. It is in the OT and comparing the two, that we find the meaning of the symbols. Chances are John's immediate audience knew their meaning already and therefore did not struggle with them as we do.

One problem with dispensationalism/premillennialism, which typically adds the chronological and separate aspects to the visions and judgments, does not apply any of it except to a short seven years, reduces the tribulation to a seven year period immediately before Christ's return, and inserts an unsupported rapture that delivers believers out of this tribulation. It produces a lot of support for this by Matt 24 and telling Matt 24 what it is saying, then carrying it into Rev. And one verse in Thess. And then it sets out to identify the things that are signified exactly and date the rapture from their deductions.* Then adds another thousand years for ethnic/ geopolitical Israel to be purified.

*digression into other views is not off the table. It cannot be helped. It would be great however if such digression pertains to the basis for what it said, and not simply more dispensationalism grandstanding.

The law of interptation in so much that without parable figure of the unseen things of God Christ in us spoke not .He reveals the parables to some, to many others fewer
Correction: He reveals the meaning of the parables to those to whom the secrets of the kingdom have been given (which would be Christ's disciples) and to those to whom the keys to the kingdom have not been given, neither has the meaning of the parables. Furthermore, After the parables were spoken God saw fit to have the explanation of some parables written down so even those to whom the keys had not been given to understand them. This notion some Christians are specially endowed or privileged while God keeps others ignorant is a lie from the pit of hell, a reprehensible evil that directly contradicts the premise of revelation.

God reveals Himself to be understood.
Some simply literalize looking at the historical and not the eternal vision..... hid in parables the proper tool is needed below
I know your "thing" is parables, but I'm not going to collaborate with any attempt to hijack the thread and make it all about parable or an individual's claim to know and/or understand Revelation better than the others here so please adjust posts accordingly if an exchange with me is desired.
2 Corinthians 4:18King James Version18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.
That has nothing to do with parables, and it has nothing to do with Revelation. Revelation was written to show what was going to happen.
Its where the law of interpretation comes in. Faith or power of God comes from believing God not seen revealed by the temporal things seen.
And unless you can show John and his readers lacked faith, power of God and belief that has nothing to do with this op.
Don't throw out the hidden meaning of the word (parable)as the water of the word along with the baby .
What exchange in this thread do you read throwing out hidden meaning?

Briefly~Daniel's prophecy was sealed up until Christ unsealed it with his own prophecy by explaining to us the overall message of Daniel's prophecy in his last teachings before leaving this world in the Olivet discourse. The apostles took that with them and taught the saints concerning a time when the man of sin would sit and declare himself to be God, ( not verbally ) doing so, by rejecting God's truths for their own doctrines and their own man made religion suitable to them serving their own sinful flesh~per 2nd Thess. 2.

There was no reason to seal Revelation, since there would be no more scriptures given to inform us of the latter days of the last days beginning with Christ going until he returns the second time.
I can think of one reason to seal it. Satan the king of lying with all power to deceive is still working in mankind.

There are no laws missing from the book of prophecy by which we could know God more intimately and adequately .7 seals till the end of time the last day

No sign was given to wonder after. the last the sign of Jonah was fulfilled by the Son of man Jesus. We have prophecy. . . why seek after sign to wonder, wonder, wonder when will it become sight? Remember Satan has no voice of his own . Surely you will not die and your flesh shall not return to dust and temporal spirit does not return to God.

Why seek after signs to wonder after rather than prophecy .Again who is the king of lyings sign to wonder after ? .

Who was it that cast lying wonder sticks rods into serpents against the Spirit of God and God causing one swallowed the lies.

Satan trying to deceive the beliers that were trusting the prophecy given 430 years earlier God used signs to literally move out his people. Killing the enemies of the world signified by Egypt that tried to make the faith of God's labor of love without power

He is still in existence as the accuser of the brethren 24/7.
You must not have gotten the memo of when Satan lost that ability to accuse the brethren. That already happened when Christ ascended to heaven back in AD 33, and became our Great High Priest representative, giving us vicarious righteousness if we are in Him. In legal terms, Satan was "cast out of court" at that point along with his angels (as in Revelation 12:9-10). It was the blood of Christ applied to the mercy seat in heaven which erased Satan's ability to accuse us before God anymore.

An amillennial/idealist is an idealist who is amillennial.
....I am amillennialist (for sure) and if I had to pick a category, it would be idealism.
From the beginning of this thread, I understood the second to be the case but thought I'd been incorrect when reading Post 101.
I actually posted the OP, not to put forth my views, but because in all that I have read of the eschatology threads, (which is not all of them) it is dispensationalism that is discussed and the millennial views debated. I find places in all the views that I think might be true, and am inclined towards, and places where I think, "I don't think so." And those reactions are based on what I do know of what is given in the whole counsel of God.

I don't engage in them much because pre mil, pre trib, dispensationalists are so dogmatic as though the book is black and white and completely understood, and indisputable. (And it is not. Not by anyone.)They state their beliefs as absolutes and are prone to anger at disagreement. Some things are absolutes as truth, and are indisputable, but that is not one of them. I have even run into dispensationalists who declare that not believing that view affects one's salvation.
lol!

Try being preterist ;). The mere mention of the word foments rancor among futurists.
If someone says they are an idealist and thinks the book of Revelation is allegory and anagocial and interprets it that way, or if they don't, it makes no difference to me. As long as they get the message.
I understand that on its surface but eschatology is important for one reason: the way a person thinks things end (and when) has (or should have) an influence on how they live now. For example, Dispensationalists are often telling us the world is going to come to an end any day now. If it's not the world that's going to soon end then it's the rapture that is coming and if you're not looking for it then you're going to miss it and have to suffer the great tribulation apart from all the Christians becaue Christians are going to be removed from the planet. And they say this to Christians; preaching to the choir.

It is coming soon. The time is near.

Not only does it never seem to occur to them they are using the words "soon" and "near" with their normal meaning in ordinary everyday usage (literally), the hypocrisy of twisting God's "near" to mean something other than near further eludes them. This all occurs while they are saving money in college funds for their (Christian) children, saving money in retirement accounts they are never going to be able to spend if they are raptured of the planet, and not a single prediction in nearly 200 years has been correct. The entire eschatology has a 100% fail rate and no one in-house does anything about it.

It's not only a bad way to live; it bears a bad witness about Christ.

So eschatology, especially its millennialism aspect, matters/
And to that I say, letters are not generally written to no one and about nothing that concerns them.......
Yep.
The church has always been persecuted and tempted to compromise.
Yep.
And I believe that Revelation does show us that the persecution of the church will become world wide and come from governments near the end. We have always needed this book to encourage and remind and trust.
1) What do you do with the cultural mandate and great commission?

2) If the Church has always been persecuted, then hasn't the Church been persecuted worldwide?

Briefly~Daniel's prophecy was sealed up until Christ unsealed it with his own prophecy by explaining to us the overall message of Daniel's prophecy in his last teachings before leaving this world in the Olivet discourse.
No, specifically those "sealed up" events prophesied by Daniel were said to have the seven seals broken by the Lamb in Revelation 6 - not the Olivet discourse. John was duplicating Daniel's language of prophecy "sealed up" in Daniel's time, only to have those seals broken open for fulfillment in John's own days. No seals were broken open at the Olivet discourse.

There was a reason to "seal up" what the seven thunders uttered in Revelation 10:4, because that was the only part of the book of Revelation that was going to be reserved for a later time of fulfillment than John's immediate future. And those "latter days of the last days", as you term them, had already turned into the "last hour" by the time 1 John 2:18 was written, about which 1 Peter 4:7 also said "the end of all things is at hand".
Try being preterist ;). The mere mention of the word foments rancor among futurists.
LOL you aren't kidding! If being burned at the stake were still in vogue, all preterists would have been cinders by now with our ashes scattered to the winds. The hatred directed against Preterism is vitriolic many times. Even in my own home.

Correction: He reveals the meaning of the parables to those to whom the secrets of the kingdom have been given (which would be Christ's disciples) and to those to whom the keys to the kingdom have not been given, neither has the meaning of the parables. Furthermore, After the parables were spoken God saw fit to have the explanation of some parables written down so even those to whom the keys had not been given to understand them. This notion some Christians are specially endowed or privileged while God keeps others ignorant is a lie from the pit of hell, a reprehensible evil that directly contradicts the premise of revelation.
Hi thanks

I would offer the meaning of the parables to those to whom the secrets of the kingdom (the gospel key) have been given. . . below the binding and loosening principle. It would appear most translations look to edify the dying flesh of mankind . The Youngs Literal turns the inspiration right side up

The gospel key is given to all who do the will of the Holy Father. The word apostle is "sent one" messenger of God not highly venerable ones

Matthew 18:18King James Version18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven:(lie) and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven (lie) .

Mathew 18: 18 YLT`Verily I say to you, Whatever things ye may bind upon the earth shall be having been bound in the heavens, (true)and whatever things ye may loose on the earth shall be having been loosed in the heavens.(true)

James 3:15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.

That has nothing to do with parables, and it has nothing to do with Revelation. Revelation was written to show what was going to happen.
Because God does not work differently in dispensations of men. Having finished all the work as a labor of His love in 6 days, We can yoked with him understand the signified understanding spoke of in verse 1 chapter 1 of Revelation it is the understanding of parable called hidden manna in Chatter 2:17

Not all parables as to their understanding are writen down. He reveals the understanding either way as we seek his approval . It does not change the law that without parables Christ spoke not. Again the one principle to teach us how to walk by faith after the unseen eternal things of God

The apostles at first coming from a law of men. . law of the fathers as oral tradition of venerable men.were approached in Luke 9 and the witness or testimony Mark 9.

Christ working in the Son of man Jesus would bring one parable and another and another on top of another hiding the gospel as they continued to wonder with no understanding of faith the mystery of parables a series of lessons on how to walk by faith after the things of God not seen. In the end of the matter he rebuked the apostles and informed them they knew not what manner of spirit they were of.

He reveals the meaning to those who have been given the unseen approval of God ,our one good teaching master as Lord of lords

That is an assumption, and it reads into scripture what is not there. Nowhere does it ever say that 144,000 were resurrected when Jesus died.
I'm comparing scripture with scripture.

Christ is given the title "Christ the First-fruits" in 1 Corinthians 15:20 & 23.

The 144,000 are also given the title "First-fruits unto God and to the Lamb" in Revelation 14:4. These 144,000 were "redeemed from the earth" in a bodily resurrection process, and quite literally stood with the risen Lamb on Mount Zion in Jerusalem (Rev. 14:1) on the day of Christ's resurrection.

These both shared the same title of "First-fruits" because they participated in the same group "First resurrection" event in AD 33. In other words, the many Matthew 27:52-53 resurrected saints were the 144,000 "First-fruits" who came out of those broken open graves around Jerusalem that same day. Others scriptures confirm this view that I won't list here for brevity's sake.
Here is another view of it. Jesus raises people from the dead, and that is not considered a first resurrection. It is likely that those raised in this instance died again later. That it was temporary. If they had remained and were given incorruptible bodies as we are said to receive at the resurrection of the dead, they would still be here.
No, that is not a "likely" prospect. Bodily resurrections performed by Christ and the disciples were NOT "temporary". If you believe that, then our own bodily resurrections could also be considered only "temporary", as well as Christ's resurrection. The power of the Holy Spirit which it takes to bodily resurrect an individual endows that body with incorruptibility and immortality. Such a changed body form cannot possibly die again, since "it is appointed unto man ONCE to die" - not twice.

And all those bodily-resurrected individuals are not here on earth anymore. They left in the predicted "rapture" event as the "alive and remaining" ones which Paul said would join the rest of the newly-resurrected saints at Christ's coming. Which happened on Daniel's predicted 1,335th day (of Pentecost in AD 70).

So was it a sign. A foreshadowing of what was to come as a result of Christ's death? 1 Cor 15:23 distinguishes Christ's resurrection as the first fruits from that of believers "at His coming." It could be demonstrating that His death inaugurated the new covenant.
I agree: this "First-fruits" group resurrection in AD 33 certainly was a sign. This post is emphasizing that Idealists see repetitive symbolic scripture patterns that occur over the history of humanity. This repetitive pattern is also true of the bodily resurrection for believers. There were no more and no less than three bodily resurrection events that God scheduled to take place over the span of history. The "First-fruits" bodily resurrection of Christ and the 144,000 "First-fruits" (the Matthew 27:52-53 saints) was meant to portray an example of what all believers could eventually expect for themselves as part of their salvation inheritance.

The second bodily resurrection event already took place at Christ's second coming, as the scriptures reveal, on Daniel's 1,335th day (which was on Pentecost day in AD 70). You and I are waiting for Christ's third coming with a third bodily resurrection event which will bring fallen mankind's history on this planet to a close. Does that make me an Idealist of sorts?

The 144,000 are also given the title "First-fruits unto God and to the Lamb" in Revelation 14:4. These 144,000 were "redeemed from the earth" in a bodily resurrection process, and quite literally stood with the risen Lamb on Mount Zion in Jerusalem (Rev. 14:1) on the day of Christ's resurrection.
Is it a literal 144,000? Or does the number signify something? Does it maybe signify all God's people, OT and NT aliked. 12 tribes of Israel x 12 apostles x 1000 (a great number)=144,000. Is this use of multiplied twelves the same as God's purpose in 12 tribes, and 12 apostles in redemptions progress. According to the consistency of it usage throughout scripture, we can ascertain that 12 symbolizes God's power and authority and it serves as a perfect governmental foundation. Completeness. The number 12 is used 189 times in the KJV and twelfth 23 times.

And if we read through verse 5, we see them qualified as those who had not defiled themselves with women and as virgins, (representing purity) and who follow the Lamb wherever He goes and have been redeemed. We have zero biblical evidence that those who came out of the graves when Jesus died, would qualify, nor are we given a number.

As to their being called first fruits that falls into what we call the first and second death and resurrections. If they may be those who have already died and are with the Lord but have not yet had their bodies resurrected, as that comes last. However since 12 represents completion, it is probably all of the saints.
These both shared the same title of "First-fruits" because they participated in the same group "First resurrection" event in AD 33. In other words, the many Matthew 27:52-53 resurrected saints were the 144,000 "First-fruits" who came out of those broken open graves around Jerusalem that same day. Others scriptures confirm this view that I won't list here for brevity's sake.

I will respond to this later as it is likely to get involved and am short on time.

It is simply, in my view anyway, more balanced rhythmically to say amillennial/idealist than the other way around. It still means the same thing.
I understand how someone might view it that way but, doctrinally speaking, Idealism is a much different eschatology than Amillennialism, even though most Idealists are amillennial. A few are Postmillennial. Calvin, for example, appears to have held elements of Postmillennialism and Idealism in his eschatological views. When the millennial views are discussed they are usually listed as

Historic Premillennialism
Amillennialism
Postmillennialism
Dispensational Premillennialism

And Idealism is left out. That's typically because Idealists tend to be amillennial, even though they vary from Amillennial doctrine in significant ways. For example, an Amillennialist who is partial-preterist is not going to apply the same degree of allegorical and anagogical reading the idealist does. A full-pret might well be more "idealist" than the partial pret because he's going say EVERYTHING is ALL already fulfilled BUT the patterns and cycles persist throughout human history. Neither the pure Idealist nor the full-preterist might have an end in their view of end times. Life and history will go one for billions of years until the solar system decays or the magnetic poles of earth faulter, or some other cosmological event ends life as we know it. I've known some full prets and Idealists who think 1 Corinthians 15 has come and gone and the "resurrection" spoken of in that chapter is simply life in Christ (josh purses lips and shakes head in incredulity). In other words, the Idealist may not see the "a" in "Amillennialism" simply as an extended non-spcific period of time with an eventual end (like classic amillennialism). The "a" may be seen in the truer meaning of the "a" as in "non-existent," or "absence of," which is what the "a" prefix normally means. Classic Amillennilaists believe there is a millennium, but it is not a literal 1000 years. A highly symbolic, (over-)spiritualized, mystical view of the millennium would consider it a condition of creation found in Christ that is eternal. It is a reference to a perfect state.

It is ideal.

Hence the name.
And by scripture do you mean all of scripture or just the book of Revelation?
I respect the op. I'm the guy who wants topical discourse. I'm the guy who disdains hijacking and hijackers. I'm the guy who likes to limit digression, keep it as op-relevant as possible, and likes to bring it back to the op in a timely manner. Therefore, because this op specifies Revelation I'm trying to stick to Revelation. I tried to evidence that in an earlier post by explicitly pointing out the hermeneutical spiral working from one verse, through the immediately surrounding text, through the book as a whole and then and only then to the passages the text of Revelation itself explicitly and directly connects us. I'm not a fan of wanton copy-and-paste, doctrinally-driven eisegesis 🤮. The principle of scripture interpreting scripture is supposed to be a principle in which the scriptures themselves, not extra-biblical doctrine, connect us. I used the example of lampstands to illustrate that. Dispensationalist, for example, might use Zechariah 7 to infer Christ comes to earth in the millennium. That kind of inference is not exegetical. It' most definitely not an interpretive method the Amillennialist would use idealist or otherwise). The classic Protestant hermeneutical position is that the New Testament explains the Old, not the other way around, and the non-Dispensationalist sees continuity between Old and New where the Dispensationalist does not. Furthermore, because of the two-peoples/two-purposes/two-kingdoms view Dispensational Premillennialists think Revelation is about Israel.

All scripture should be used to obtain a sound eschatological doctrine.

But this op specifies Revelation, so I've tried to stick to Revelation and exegete from Revelation and not from other texts to Revelation. I've avoided the posts that want to impose Matthew 24, Daniel 9, or 2 Thessalonians 2 on the thread. In a thread specifically on Revelation the only other texts we should be mentioning should be the ones Revelation itself explicitly connects us. It is an assumption Revelation mentions the man of sin or the antichrist in other terms. Revelation nowhere states either by those names. In a thread specifically on an Amillennial Idealist interpretive approach the emphasis should be on that approach. The only reason any other method, approach, or tool should be mentioned is for contrast and comparative purpose and then brought back to the specified view. That's how I approach threads. But it's "your" thread and I try to follow the op's lead (even if I am not believed and the relevance of my content not immediately grasped 😁).

All of scripture is necessary, but this op is on Revelation and the Amillennial idealist approach thereof.
Because I think the categories of interpreting Revelation pertain to Revelation, except where they are directly related to prophecies in the OT.
I do too.

As I have often noted, there are more than 340 OT references in Revelation and (with the possible exception of the author of Hebrews), John is the most Jewish writers of the NT. His gospel is also the most anti-Judaic (but that's fodder for a separate op ;)). How can anyone read a book with340+ OT references, not exegete the OT references and think the book correctly understood?
And even then, I think it is more (since the NT) of Revelation interpreting those prophecies in relation to us rather than trying to interpret Revelation by the OT.
Me too!
It is in the OT and comparing the two, that we find the meaning of the symbols.
I would use the word "exegete" instead of "compare," but otherwise I whole-heartedly agree.
Chances are John's immediate audience knew their meaning already and therefore did not struggle with them as we do.
Yep.

Logically, any exegetical approach denying the principle of original intent is going to be flawed.
One problem with dispensationalism/premillennialism, which typically adds the chronological and separate aspects to the visions and judgments, does not apply any of it except to a short seven years, reduces the tribulation to a seven year period immediately before Christ's return, and inserts an unsupported rapture that delivers believers out of this tribulation. It produces a lot of support for this by Matt 24 and telling Matt 24 what it is saying, then carrying it into Rev. And one verse in Thess. And then it sets out to identify the things that are signified exactly and date the rapture from their deductions.* Then adds another thousand years for ethnic/ geopolitical Israel to be purified.
I completely agree. I've devoted a few decades to the study of eschatology and soteriology and done so from diverse perspective and a plethora of authors, having started out as a Lindsay/Smith-informed Dispensational Premillennialist. I find it a horrible eschatology built on profoundly unscriptural and irrationally presumptive and eisegetic methods and I could consume many a thread with criticism.

But I try practice what I preach 😁.

*digression into other views is not off the table. It cannot be helped.
If you say so. I hope you do not mind if I try to keep the digressions brief, contrasting and comparative, and bring them ack to the op in a timely manner. This thread has been blessed with one and then two futurists who've managed to keep things somewhat op-relevant when encouraged but it's only a matter of time before the Dispensationalists and other modern futurists descend on the op, ignore the Amillennial idealist emphasis and the book of Revelation and hijack the op. It is what they do.

The brilliance of this op is that it specified method, approach, and tools. For four of the five millennial povs those overlap a lot. There should be plenty of overlap for the Dispensationalist, too, because the claim to follow the rules of exegesis. They claim to read scripture literally (but do not). The differences creep in because the tool of exegesis is not practiced consistently, not because it's not practiced at all.

Poythress, Riddlebarger, Hoekema, and other leading Amil teachers practice exegesis. Historic Premillennialists like Ladd and Blomberg do too, and they are respected by their peers of different eschatological position because they handle scripture well. Postmils like Demar and Gentry do, too. George Eldon Ladd is quite possibly the most referenced theologians in eschatological books by opposing millennialists. The same holds true for Hoekema. In recent years folks like Ken Gentry and Stephen Wellum have been influential. The only ones who praise the exegesis of Dispensationalists are Dispensationalists.

"I read my Bible literally, but the word "near" does not mean near."
It would be great however if such digression pertains to the basis for what it said, and not simply more dispensationalism grandstanding.
Yep.

I will respond to this later as it is likely to get involved and am short on time.
Ditto for the "short time" for me also. I am robbing time from my workroom deadlines to post this, so I get it.

Is it a literal 144,000? Or does the number signify something? Does it maybe signify all God's people, OT and NT aliked. 12 tribes of Israel x 12 apostles x 1000 (a great number)=144,000. Is this use of multiplied twelves the same as God's purpose in 12 tribes, and 12 apostles in redemptions progress. According to the consistency of it usage throughout scripture, we can ascertain that 12 symbolizes God's power and authority and it serves as a perfect governmental foundation. Completeness. The number 12 is used 189 times in the KJV and twelfth 23 times.
The symbolic nature of certain numbers in scripture is prevalent throughout, and I agree it does have significance in this 144,000 number. But since Revelation 7 particularly specifies that these are 12 Jewish tribes numbering 144,000, and doesn't include a mention of the apostles anywhere in their number, that would indicate that this is strictly Jewish individuals - particularly since Revelation 7 goes to great lengths to specify the very unusual choice of 12 tribes (dropping Ephraim and Dan, and including Joseph).

The significance of "thousands" in these Revelation 7 & 14 contexts I believe was meant to be reflective of the battle strength of armed warriors selected from the tribes back in Moses's day. One thousand were taken from each of the twelve tribes to fight against their enemies the Midianites in Numbers 31:5-6.

That number of 12,000 armed Israelite warriors back in Numbers 31:5-6 was later on exponentially increased for the battle in which the resurrected members of those Jewish tribes would be engaged after Christ's resurrection. They were battling for the spiritual New Jerusalem, with its wall measuring 144 cubits. The battle waged by the Jewish 144,000 "First-fruits" bodily-resurrected Matthew 27:52-53 saints was going to be a spiritual one, waged against an enraged Satan who had just been released at the millennium's end, and was operating on earth like a "roaring lion" for that "short time" in AD 33 until he was imprisoned in Jerusalem in AD 66 with all the unclean spirits. They were all destroyed in that one location by the close of AD 70.

The focus of these being a strictly Jewish number of 144,000 resurrected individuals is due to the fact that Christ first came to confirm the covenant of the gospel with those of His own ethnic Israelites. As He once told the Canaanite woman, "I am not sent but to the lost sheep of the house of Israel". "To the Jew first, and also to the Greek", as Paul once said was "necessary" (Acts 13:46). And of course, we know that this gospel offer was intended to spread to the nations from there onward.

In those years following Christ's final ascension, the Jewish resurrected 144,000 "First-fruits" provided an evangelistic link to their own ethnic tribal members in those days of the early church. Their own very Jewish descent made them the perfect example to those of their own nation that confirmed the validity of the New Covenant to those who might otherwise have doubted that this New Covenant was a legitimate replacement for the Old Covenant.

And if we read through verse 5, we see them qualified as those who had not defiled themselves with women and as virgins, (representing purity) and who follow the Lamb wherever He goes and have been redeemed
The "virgin" description of the 144,000 is reflective of the fact that in the bodily-resurrected state, there is no marriage or giving in marriage anymore.

Back