• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Our incomprehensible God.

I think the title of this thread "Our Incomprehensible God" might be part of the problem here. As I am sure there are some, or so it seems that disagree. According to them, and the proof is in the pudding, God is quite easy to figure out. And if there is an attribute they cannot understand about God, it's just not part of who He is.

In reality, there should be, and there is, a mystery with God, especially the Trinity. I mean, what man can figure it out? God condescends, God literally stoops to help us.
The God who exceeds all human understanding nevertheless makes himself known to us in the Word written and the Word made flesh. There just isn't another way to know Him.

Thomas Watson:

He was poor, that he might make us rich.

He was born of a virgin that we might be born of God.

He took our flesh, that he might give us His Spirit.

He lay in the manger, that we may lie in paradise.

He came down from heaven, that he might bring us to heaven. . . .

That the ancient of Days should be born.

that he who thunders in the heavens should cry in the cradle. . . .

that he who rules the stars should suck the breast;

that a virgin should conceive;

that Christ should be made of a woman, and of that woman which himself made,

that the branch should bear the vine,

that the mother should be younger than the child she bare,

and the child in the womb bigger than the mother;

that the human nature should not be God, yet one with God.

Come and worship!

The nineteenth-century Baptist pastor William Gadsby takes up this theme in his hymn “O What Matchless Condescension”:

O what matchless condescension
the eternal God displays,
claiming our supreme attention
to His boundless works and ways;
His own glory
He reveals in gospel days.
In the Person of the Savior
all His majesty is seen,
love and justice shine for ever;
and without a veil between,
we approach Him,
and rejoice in His dear Name.
Would we view His highest glory,
here it shines in Jesus’ face;
sing and tell the pleasing story,
O you sinners saved by grace;
and with pleasure,
bid the guilty Him embrace.
In His highest work, redemption,
see His glory in a blaze;
nor can angels ever mention
aught that more of God displays.
Grace and justice
here unite to endless days.
True, ’tis sweet and solemn pleasure,
God to view in Christ the Lord;
here He smiles, and smiles for ever;
may my soul His Name record,
praise and bless Him,
and His wonders spread abroad.

I think the title of this thread "Our Incomprehensible God" might be part of the problem here. As I am sure there are some, or so it seems that disagree. According to them, and the proof is in the pudding, God is quite easy to figure out. And if there is an attribute they cannot understand about God, it's just not part of who He is.

In reality, there should be, and there is, a mystery with God, especially the Trinity. I mean, what man can figure it out? God condescends, God literally stoops to help us.
The God who exceeds all human understanding nevertheless makes himself known to us in the Word written and the Word made flesh. There just isn't another way to know Him.
Anyone who claims to fully comprehend God shows right there that he does not even begin to. They have brought Him down to a human level. And if they are Unitarian, their main concern is who He isn't. Who He is is beside the point.

Jesus is not that angel.
Jesus is a messenger according to scripture. Revelation 22 says he is. The evidence is stacking up against you with each comment.

Furthermore, look here:

Hebrews 1
7and to the messengers, indeed, He says, “The [One] who is making His messengers spirits, and His ministers a flame of fire”;

1 Corinthians 15
45so also it has been written: “The first man Adam became a living creature,” the last Adam [is] for a life-giving spirit,

You failed miserably. It's obvious that you don't know how to harmonize scriptures.
I fail because I don't create a hypostatic union doctrine like you did? Paul debunked the hypostatic union. Why does your so-called "harmonizing of scripture" contradict the Bible?

Paul said Jesus is a man, not a God man, etc.

Philippians 2
7but emptied Himself,
taking the form of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8And being found in appearance as a man,
He humbled Himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross.

You did not give an answer to the request for a definition of the full counsel of God.
That's because I didn't say "full counsel of God." I don't claim to give the counsel of God. I said I was giving the full counsel of scripture.
You gave examples of you using the full counsel of God that completely defy it definition.
Where did I say "full counsel of God?"

You begin your search for the meaning of the scripture with the mindset of proving that Jesus is not God, when that is not even the subject of what Jesus is pointing out in this passage. Your idea of the whole counsel of God becomes jumping from one isolated scripture to another, that also are not discussing the deity of Christ specifically, in order to prove your point. The very definition of proof texting. You start with Jesus is not God and to prove it you say that if God laid the cornerstone, and Jesus is the cornerstone, that means God is not the cornerstone, therefore Jesus is not God but a created human being only who God installed in Zion.
The Bible says Jesus isn't God. It's pretty hard to avoid because it's all over the Bible. Just how it is. If someone is talking about the Bible the topic of Jesus and God should come up almost immediately.
It sets out to disprove the Trinity without acknowledging the doctrine of the Trinity (the hypostatic union of the theology/doctrine)but only your own doctrine. IOW it merely states your own beliefs and proof texts scripture to do it. You do not even bother to include who God is as self revealed, who the creature man is in relation to God, or the dynamic and the magnitude of the work that Christ did or what that was. To do so and carefully and systematically, would be making use of the whole counsel of Scripture. You could start by acknowledging and addressing the utter uniqueness of Christ as outlined in post #167. Find the scriptures that verify what I said. It should be easy with a simple google search using the list I gave, one by one.
I would love to get into who one can be in Christ and and God's purpose for people today. We can be sons and daughters of God, brothers and sisters to Jesus, be glorified with him, and reign with him.

No one has wanted to talk about any of this yet. People are too busy trying to deify Jesus. Progress can't be made until that error is resolved and I am under not impression I can change anyone's mind. I know that quoting Jesus' denials of deity, all of the passages about Jesus not being God, etc will just result in people playing their hypostatic union card.

All it does it keep the goal posts moving... just when it's been proven Jesus isn't God then boom that's just his "human side" but when Jesus does a miracles people are saying he's God. Why hasn't anyone ever bothered to explained why every. single. last. miracle that Jesus did others also did? And why does no one talk about the fact that Jesus' power and authority are not exclusive to Jesus either? Maybe because allegedly being God and then Peter comes and walks on water, too, is a problem for the hypostatic union?
Now reread Romans 10---the full chapter, and tell me what Paul is talking about, instead of this preposterous assertion that you have arrived at Jesus not being God by using the whole counsel of God because you found one cross reference to one half phrase in the whole chapter, and then make the assertion that YHWH (as though the Hebrew adds a speck of weight to your argument) laid the Cornerstone, therefore Jesus is not YHWH. That is scarcely even using your mind, let alone the full counsel of God.
Romans 10:11 is about Jesus being the cornerstone. Romans 10:12,13 are about the Lord YHWH. Those soundly prove that Jesus isn't YHWH. I recommend you being with those verses and look into them carefully and prayerfully.

Tell me, using the full counsel of God, how what you claim does not contradict Romans 9:5 (note chapter 9 comes before 10 which you used to declare Paul knew Jesus was not God) To them belong the patriarchs, and from their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ, who is God over all, blessed forever. Amen.
As you may well know, there was not punctuation in the original Koine Greek. So when they translated Romans 9:5 and added all of those commas, those were added by the translators. They weren't actually in the original manuscripts because they didn't use punctuation in Greek.

Here's the correct version of Romans 9:5 from the RSV and it proves Jesus isn't God.

Romans 9
5 to them belong the patriarchs, and of their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ. God who is over all be blessed for ever. Amen.

At least the Catholics got that part right.
You know what else the Catholics said? They said that Mary is the mother of God and therefore she can be prayed to. This is actually required doctrine to adopt if you say that Jesus is God. There isn't anyway around it. Do you know why?

You know what else the Catholics said? They said that Mary is the mother of God and therefore she can be prayed to. This is actually required doctrine to adopt if you say that Jesus is God. There isn't anyway around it. Do you know why?
They don't accept RCC's teachings.

That is why they came out of her but protestants kept the most hideous doctrine of RCC which is trine god worshipping.

And that is the core of both RCC and the protestants.

RCC is the mother church and protestants are her daughters.

They don't accept RCC's teachings.

That is why they came out of her but protestants kept the most hideous doctrine of RCC which is trine god worshipping.

And that is the core of both RCC and the protestants.

RCC is the mother church and protestants are her daughters.
Yep. There aren't much differences between Catholics and Protestants aside from some nuances. I don't know why they argue with each other so much when they are cut from the same exact cloth.

That's because I didn't say "full counsel of God." I don't claim to give the counsel of God. I said I was giving the full counsel of scripture.

I am using the authority of the Bible to give the full counsel of scripture that explain the true meaning of verses/passages that are being isolated from their context.

God's word is not divided against itself. I am simply showing you the sola scriptura that proves Jesus isn't God.
You did say it unless you consider Scripture to not be the word of God. So there are two more phrases you use that you have no idea the meaning of. Sola scriptura and counsel of God.

You did say it unless you consider Scripture to not be the word of God. So there are two more phrases you use that you have no idea the meaning of. Sola scriptura and counsel of God.
I didn't say "counsel of God." That isn't the same thing as saying the counsel of scripture. Seems you just make things up as you go along. Did you know I will remember everything I write about? You aren't going to sneak any fast ones past me. Nice try.

Your religion has you confused. Sorry.

Is there something to be jelous about?

Yes, you cannot refute any of @Runningman's claims.

You got struck out all of your claims.

It does not matter how many times you recycle over and over.

the more you do the more he can expose your deception.

He has a great patience.

I didn't say "counsel of God." That isn't the same thing as saying the counsel of scripture. Seems you just make things up as you go along. Did you know I will remember everything I write about? You aren't going to sneak any fast ones past me. Nice try.
Is Scripture the word of God?

If so, would the counsel of God be the same as the counsel of Scripture?

You can't make up your own definitions to something and consider that the actual definition. Cults are famous for doing that for the sole purpose of deceiving. How about instead of all this condescension of others and false implications, you actually deal with what is being presented to you?

He has a great patience.
It isn't patience. It is tenacity in evil intent. The whole foundation of Unitarianism is to destroy, and pull Christ off His throne. Same one the devil has.

Yes, you cannot refute any of @Runningman's claims.

You got struck out all of your claims.

He has a great patience.
Well, you continue to enjoy his posts. I'm glad you are enjoying your time here.
But I hope the Lord Jesus gives you a new heart and gives you spiritual eyes so you can see and know the truth.

Back