• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Age of the earth...Young or old?

Well let’s consider:
For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

- Isaiah 45:18 (KJV)
Okay, and what exactly are you saying?

Same God, same earth.

God created it as He said in Genesis, then the Spirit hovers above it and He starts His work to form it.

Didn't you read it that way at first?
Actually, brother, when I first read it, I read it with tinted glasses. From the perspective of what my pastor believed.

For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

- 2 Peter 3:5-8,12-13 (KJV)

For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

- 2 Peter 3:5-8,12-13 (KJV)
Okay, Peter is talking about Noah's flood. Continue.

What do you mean, redid? Where do you get that from?
Your theory...the pre-adamic world was destroyed....then in Gen 1 God re-did the world.

Some translate the earth was formless and void to the earth became formless and void. I'm not convinced.

Your theory...the pre-adamic world was destroyed....then in Gen 1 God re-did the world.

Some translate the earth was formless and void to the earth became formless and void. I'm not convinced.
It’s my theory.

Well let’s consider:
For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

- Isaiah 45:18 (KJV)
Of course God formed it to be inhabited...Gen 1 says God inhabited it on day 6 with Adam.

I never said that. I do not believe the world was destroyed and God re-did it. Wow, your way off on my belief.
When it was created, it was formless and void. With water covering it also.

I never said that. I do not believe the world was destroyed and God re-did it. Wow, your way off on my belief.

When it was created, it was formless and void. With water covering it also.
My bad I suppose...but in post 45 you did say..... Kinda proves and old earth, I think.

In post 31 you said....Would you show me where you have proof of a young earth, or universe in scripture? I would be very interested in some proof. Because at one time I was a YE but have changed to OE.

My bad I suppose...but in post 45 you did say..... Kinda proves and old earth, I think.
You mentioned dinosaurs, I believe they show proof of an old earth.
In post 31 you said....Would you show me where you have proof of a young earth, or universe in scripture? I would be very interested in some proof. Because at one time I was a YE but have changed to OE.
Yes, and still waiting. :)

@CrowCross I have a question for you, and anyone else who cares to answer.

Do yo believe the Garden of Eden was global, covering the whole earth, or, local, covering a certain area, not the whole earth?

@CrowCross I have a question for you, and anyone else who cares to answer.

Do yo believe the Garden of Eden was global, covering the whole earth, or, local, covering a certain area, not the whole earth?
Local.

8 And the LORD God planted a garden in Eden, in the east, where He placed the man He had formed.

Local.

8 And the LORD God planted a garden in Eden, in the east, where He placed the man He had formed.
Then your belief in a young earth will be much harder to prove.

First, I think we can all agree the creating of creation is itself a miracle, especially if creation was created ex nihilo.
A miracle is an event that supersedes a natural law. There were no natural law for creation to supersede. All those natural laws are the result of creation. Creation was a providential act of God.

Also as an aside, a biblical miracle is almost always an act performed by a person through the power of God, the Holy Spirit, and visibly observed by one or more people. Acts by God, directly, are not typically called miracles. They are providential acts of God. There are two basic types of providential acts; the first, special providence, is an act that supersedes natural law, the second, general providence, does not.

I find it odd that christians can believe in the scientifically impossible resurrection of a dead man after spending 3 days in the grave...yet, can't believe in the other miracles presented in Genesis.
Miracles are not scientifically impossible. They are acts that supersede natural law. There is no scientific explanation for them, but that does not mean they are impossible. Miracles are observed to have happened; therefore, they are not impossible.

Well, the way I understand it, at the end of Genesis 1:1, the earth ceased to exist in its previous form. God created the earth to be inhabited, and then He destroyed it. I believe that there was an age that existed between verses one and two of Genesis.
Why would you believe in two "let there be and it was God alone good?

What's law is missing that you think is needful? The law of not enough time?

Why would you believe in two "let there be and it was God alone good?

What's law is missing that you think is needful? The law of not enough time?
I’m sorry, but I don’t understand your question. When God created the heavens and the earth, they were perfect (Isaiah 45:18). In verse 2, they became formless and void (I believe, because of Satan’s rebellion). …but then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light, the beginning of a new age.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. - John 1:1-4

Back