• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

How old is the earth?

It has to do with truth.

There are thousands of Christian denominations which leads to multiple conflicting beliefs which adherents believe are true. It should be obvious that belief does not equate to truth.

Tony, I asked you elsewhere: what is the distance from the center of the BB to our system immediately after the event in conventional understanding?

There are thousands of Christian denominations which leads to multiple conflicting beliefs which adherents believe are true. It should be obvious that belief does not equate to truth.
I didn't say it did. But there is truth. The universe was created by God, or it wasn't. The universe had a beginning, or it didn't. The universe is either about 6,000 years old or so, or it is more likely about 13 billion years old or so. There is truth and it is important. God gave us a brain, and I believe He expects us to use it in all facets of our lives.

I didn't say it did. But there is truth. The universe was created by God, or it wasn't. The universe had a beginning, or it didn't. The universe is either about 6,000 years old or so, or it is more likely about 13 billion years old or so. There is truth and it is important. God gave us a brain, and I believe He expects us to use it in all facets of our lives.
I think the majority here believe that God created the earth and the universe, yet there are multiple Christian beliefs among us on when and how he did it.

The universe and the earth are much older than 10,000 years.
Before God formed the earth as we now know it, it was surrounded by water and all life that had previously existed on it are extinct.
Science proves this. And so does the Bible.
To create something does not mean to create out of nothing.
That’s an idea of Calvin and the like.
God created the heaven and earth by the movement of water.

The universe and the earth are much older than 10,000 years.
Before God formed the earth as we now know it, it was surrounded by water and all life that had previously existed on it are extinct.
Science proves this. And so does the Bible.
To create something does not mean to create out of nothing.
That’s an idea of Calvin and the like.
God created the heaven and earth by the movement of water.
When the Bible speaks of God creating and uses the Hebrew word "bara", it, so far as I can find, always implies ex nihilo, to create out of nothing.

When the Bible speaks of God creating and uses the Hebrew word "bara", it, so far as I can find, always implies ex nihilo, to create out of nothing.
God created man. Not out of nothing, but out of the ground.

God created man. Not out of nothing, but out of the ground.
No, he made the body of man out of the ground of the earth, but He created his spirit ex nihilo.

No, he made the body of man out of the ground of the earth, but He created his spirit ex nihilo.
Didn’t God breathe into man the breath of life? Doesn’t that spirit return to God?

If God were to withdraw His spirit and His breath all flesh would perish together.
They’d be dead and not alive.

If God were to withdraw His spirit and His breath all flesh would perish together.
They’d be dead and not alive.
I am not sure about that. Animals do not have a spirit or His spirit, and they are alive.

Our spirits came from God, they return to God when we die.
Then our spirit is not made out of nothing.
Just like man was not made out of nothing. Nor were the heaven and earth as we know them made out of nothing.

Then our spirit is not made out of nothing.
Just like man was not made out of nothing. Nor were the heaven and earth as we know them made out of nothing.
Okay, then you tell us what were our spirits made of.

The word spirit refers to breath, wind and mind. It doesn’t refer to the exist of a person apart from a body.
No, the Greek word pneuma can refer to breath, wind, spirit, mind, life. The word spirit doesn't. I disagree with you. The spirit of man does exist apart from the body. When the body dies, the spirit returns to God who gave it (Eccl 12:7). There is considerably more to be said about that but I won't get into it here. And by the way, there is a Greek word that is typically used to refer to the mind is "dianoia".

On your first line:
The unformed earth was there since the ‘spreading out’ of Ps 104. That’s also when distant stars were stretched out.

We must use Hebrew about astronomy and not confuse the firmament (Laraqi shami) with distant stars (kavov) nor with Gods presence.

The firmament is from our atmosphere out to the few marker stars that move a bit in our POV but are not planets. I doubt if the ancient eye knew any difference. Their category was moving vs static.
Still think you are resisting His help in seeing the truth in His words in favor of the book you are selling.

Still think you are resisting His help in seeing the truth in His words in favor of the book you are selling.

That's silly. It is not about that at all. It is about the accurate use of the Hebrew.

No, the Greek word pneuma can refer to breath, wind, spirit, mind, life. The word spirit doesn't. I disagree with you. The spirit of man does exist apart from the body. When the body dies, the spirit returns to God who gave it (Eccl 12:7). There is considerably more to be said about that but I won't get into it here. And by the way, there is a Greek word that is typically used to refer to the mind is "dianoia".
The animating force of life is the breath of life by which men and animals become living souls.
breath, respiration, Acts 17:25; a wind, a blast of wind, breeze, Acts 2:2*

The animating force of life is the breath of life by which men and animals become living souls.
breath, respiration, Acts 17:25; a wind, a blast of wind, breeze, Acts 2:2*
That is not the spirit.

Back