• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Age of the earth...Young or old?

In scripture, the creation story.

Not from bishops and such.

So, can you show me where Genesis teaches a young earth or do you have to refer to a bishop first?
Do you know how the bishop arrived at that date?

Here's some information....He used the bible.

Here's an article. Even if you don't believe it you should know it.

How Ussher Arrived at the Year of Creation​

Now you ask: How did he get 4004 BC?

Answer: He used the chronologies in the Hebrew text of Genesis 5 and 11, together with other Bible passages that we will consider. To simplify the calculations, Ussher ties the chronology to the final deportation of Judah in 584 BC. His detailed calculations cover over 100 pages in the original document.

I believe this was the first flood:
The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

- Genesis 1:2 (NKJV)
IMO that wasn't the first flood. Consider Genesis 1:1-2.
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

See, in the beginning God created the earth, as you see it in verse 2. It was created formless and void, with water covering it. It wasn't created complete with land mass, then flooded.

The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

OK. Why should anyone else believe that?

Why didn't you use Jer 4:23?

Then again this does appear to be a prophecy for the future.

Notice what happens when you bring context into view?

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

See, in the beginning God created the earth, as you see it in verse 2. It was created formless and void, with water covering it. It wasn't created complete with land mass, then flooded.
I understand your "theory"...but the verse doesn't say that.

Well, the way I understand it, at the end of Genesis 1:1, the earth ceased to exist in its previous form. God created the earth to be inhabited, and then He destroyed it. I believe that there was an age that existed between verses one and two of Genesis.

Well, the way I understand it, at the end of Genesis 1:1, the earth ceased to exist in its previous form. God created the earth to be inhabited, and then He destroyed it. I believe that there was an age that existed between verses one and two of Genesis.
I got ya. But, I have to ask, where do you get that from?

Notice what happens when you bring context it into view?

This was an introduction into what God did and then explained how in the rest of the chapter.
Do you think someone opening the bible and reading it...would come to the same conclusion that you have been taught?

This was an introduction into what God did and then explained how in the rest of the chapter.
To what God did? He created the heavens and the earth, no? Do you disagree?
Do you think someone opening the bible and reading it...would come to the same conclusion that you have been taught?
That He created the heavens and the earth? Yes, why wouldn't I.

To what God did? He created the heavens and the earth, no? Do you disagree?

That He created the heavens and the earth? Yes, why wouldn't I.
It doesn't say God redid the earth.

I'm not following you???? Reword your question.
I replied to these statements of yours. - "This was an introduction into what God did and then explained how in the rest of the chapter.
Do you think someone opening the bible and reading it...would come to the same conclusion that you have been taught?"

I got ya. But, I have to ask, where do you get that from?
Well let’s consider:
For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

- Isaiah 45:18 (KJV)

I replied to these statements of yours. - "This was an introduction into what God did and then explained how in the rest of the chapter.
Do you think someone opening the bible and reading it...would come to the same conclusion that you have been taught?"
Didn't you read it that way at first?

Back