• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

What is Eternal Subordination of the Son (ESS)?

But, unfortunately, through the course of discussion, there was terms that needed to be defined, like "eternal." If there is an eternal subordination, then what is eternal? There has to be at least a passable agreement before we can move on to, what is subordination?
Eternal means eternal. What needs to be defined is, what is the "object" of eternal in what is being said, and is it being applied to the entire scope of eternal, past, present, and future, or a particular portion of eternality within our time frame. Eternal ofcourse, is outside of any time frame. You give as an example the Son as being subordinate to the Father at creation. Was He subordinate to the Father before creation? (Then is the Holy Spirit subordinate to the Son and the Father?) In this, and as an aside, it seems to me that you make the persons of the Trinity to be separate from one another rather than distinct within the whole.

You also state that the Son was always the Son in the full scope of eternity, and as such, always subordinate to the Father. And call it relational subordination, when there is no such thing in God. In Christianity, it is called a Trinity because we see in Scripture different actions being taken. Some are said to be by the Father, others the Son, and still others, the Holy Spirit. Yet all do things only God can do, and are participating or precipitating specific parts of the same redemption process. It is the purposes of God that are being fulfilled. It is always a distinction, not a subjection. Even when it says "for Him" etc. in the scriptures you quote concerning creation.

As to the Son always having been known as the Son even before creation and before the incarnation,---which is really a separate topic conflated into this one without proper "legwork" on your part, for you are the one who said it---that too has been refuted, and ignored, by the only place where that is mentioned in scripture as to title being in John 1, where John refers to Him as the Word and not the Son. And says it was the Word that came in the flesh as the Son. You have not really addressed head on anything I have said, which to me indicates someone who is not trying to learn, as claimed, but thinks they already have the upper hand, and all other posits and defenses and interactions are subordinate to the point that they can be disregarded and discarded. Which actually surprises me in this case.

Last edited:
The Son's functional role by the operation of the Divine Will isn't a hierarchy but relational. Usually, it's from Social Trinity and Hierarchy Trinity, even Kenotic Trinity teaches that the Son having his own personal divine will distinctive from the Father's own personal divine will. They often quote John 6:38 and Matthew 26:39 as if there is two Divine Wills. Then make asserted claims that the Son's own personal divine will is subordinate to the Father's own personal divine will.
You quoted a post of mine and your response in no way dealt with what I had said, or examined it, or refuted it. You simply quoted it and then changed directions. Moved the conversation away from it.
But when speaking about the Eternal God, then the title Son is an eternal now. There is no past, present, and future, the ending is the beginning from God's standpoint. When you read Scriptures from an eternity perspective eyeglass, there wasn't a time the Son was not the Son, he always been and always will be the Son or simply assume succession in God's nature. A person can swear up and down he/she isn't making succession, but that is exactly what is going on. We do know that the New Testament revelations reveals his nature being triune. And Jesus Christ reveals himself in a Father-Son relationship, "No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known. (John 1:18) in contrast to "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1). The Word, who is not named carries the title Son eternally.

There is a past, present, and future from our perspective. Our perspective is the only perspective that we have. God created time and He put us in it. Son is a title applied to Jesus in the incarnation because that is the role He is playing in redemption. Jesus was not Son of man until the incarnation, and therefore was not called Son of God. (Not than can be proven and therefore should not be asserted as fact.) He is called Son of God because He came from God, the Holy Spirit is His Father, as He was begotten in the womb of a human, but not through man. Thus the two natures. And you can call that succession of God's nature all you want, it is not. It is an addition to the actions of God according to His purpose. Another thing you have failed to address or consider in your quest to learn. The two natures remain distinct. Learning does not mean you have to agree, it means you have to consider another view, and examine it. You are conflating title with entity.

You are presuming to understand what you cannot possibly see into, and God has not revealed.

When did the first year start?

If you have the Eternal God outside of time, then there is no time-sequence, no beginning or ending, no succession, no past, present, and future, but only an Eternal Now.
That is 100%, absolutely, wholly, undeniably and irrefutably correct.

But that statement is not complete. You were specifically asked when the first year began and your answer leaves out the word "year." It should read...
If you have the Eternal God outside of time, then there is no time-sequence, no beginning or ending, no succession, no past, present, and future AND NO YEARS, but only an Eternal Now.
And that would mean your use of Psalm 90:4 is an abuse of scripture and a false equivalence fallacy. You have done exactly what I asked you not to do = do not take verses said in a post-disobedient world about temporal conditions and apply them to eternity. In eternity prior to creation there is NO time-sequence, NO beginning or ending, NO succession, NO past, present, and future, AND NO YEARS!!! There are no measures of time. Time does not exist. Time is a created condition, a part of creation, not a part of eternity.
Outside Time
Eternal God __________________________________
Inside Time​

If you have the Eternal God inside of time, then there is a continuous perpetual duration through, all the "ages" of time.
God does not exist "inside of time." God enters creation and when He enters creation, He enters time and space but He is not beholding in any way to that which He created. The Creator existed prior to His creating creation. He exists outside of that which He creates. If there were no creation God would still exist. The appeal to "a thousand years," is an appeal to a created condition, a temporal condition, not an eternal one.

Stop using temporal conditions to define eternal conditions. Stop taking verses about temporal conditions and applying them to eternity. There are no years in eternity.
You say that it's not the same, but technically, its logically equivalent and the conclusion is the same.
No, it is not. NONE of that is true or correct.
It doesn't matter if God is inside or outside of time, he is still the same Eternal God.
It most certainly does matter. Prior to creation being created there was no time; there was only eternity.
The phrase "everlasting to everlasting" means eternal because it's ascribed to God and not some mountain or hill that still exist through the ages. It will eventually parish, but God won't and will remain the same since he is eternal.
It is ascribed to God relative to the temporal conditions of creation. Do you understand the word "temporal" means "relating to time"? A year is a measure of time! Time is how we measure cause and effect, the passage of one event to another. God is The Uncaused Cause!!!

Right at the foundation of your thinking, your "doctrine," and your post is a fundamental flaw: the assumption time is relevant to God. Time is not relevant to God. Time is a created condition. It is an elemental component of creation. The moment God said, "Let there be....." He created time. Prior to time's creation God existed and He existed extra-temporally, prior to and outside of time, prior to and outside of all that He created. You keep taking verses about time and space and applying them to non-time, non-space, not-temporal, non-spatial conditions.

So.....

I was asked to,
Present your Scriptural case for "the Father and the Son sitting on the same throne implies the Son is not eternally subordinate."
And I have done so.

I asked you when God's throne first existed and that question has not been answered. I did get and answer to the problem of using Psalm 90:4 so I have used what you did answer to prove the same throne is not eternally subordinate. God's throne is not JUST temporal. The heavens are His throne. His throne, or rule, or sovereignty pre-exists the creation of the heavens and the earth. He created the heavens and the earth because He was first, a priori, sovereign and almighty. The Father is the Creator. Jesus is the Creator. Prior to creating creation the Father is sovereign and almighty. The Son is sovereign and almighty. They sit ono the same "throne" at a time when there is no throne other than their sovereign existence.

The Bible is filled with comparisons made between God and Jesus. Scripture describes Jesus with the attributes of God scores of occasions. They are all statements of ontology. Every single one of them would be blasphemous if untrue. Prior to creation the description of the sSon is that Jesus is what God is - outside of creation and inside of it....... but teleologically Jesus took on a subordinate role to manifest God's salvation.

If this is not sufficient then answer the question asked: When did the "throne" of God first exist?

You still have yet to address post 57. Not your asserted claim in black bold capital letters. Prove it.
I have. More than once. You have not answered the question asked,

When did God's throne first exist?

When did God's throne first exist?
There is no past, present, or future for God.

That's what it means to be " I am."

That is what God is, He is "I am what I am".

And Jesus is not "I am what I am".

Get rid of all man's mentality.

There is no past, present, or future for God.

That's what it means to be " I am."

That is what God is, He is "I am what I am".

And Jesus is not "I am what I am".

Get rid of all man's mentality.
How does that answer the question "When did God's throne first exist? The "I Am" part is right but you don't apply it to His throne. The fact that both Jesus and God are said to have the same throne in Rev, and two people can't sit on the same throne, and there are not two God's acting as God, two things must be true---the first of which is not the topic of the OP. First, Jesus and the Father are One. Second the throne is not literal but a metaphor that depicts sovereignty, sovereign rule over all things, things in heaven and things on earth. And God has always been sovereign, is always sovereign, always will be sovereign. He rules and governs what He creates, and nothing is created except by Him. The throne never "first existed." It has always been. It is eternal because God is eternal.

You dodged Revelation 6:10, which also has plain language.

Quite obvious.

Let me clue you in on something. It is still there.
Replying to your last comment to me on page 3 and you still didn't address comment #4. The subject will never move forward until you actually address what I said and quit it with your whataboutisms. Acts 4:24,27 that proves Jesus isn't God isn't going away any time soon.

Because Jesus is not "I am" like you guys believe.
Indeed. Here's some commentary I recently wrote on this:

According to scripture, Jesus is not the I AM because he isn't the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Jesus is God's servant, not God.

Only the I AM is remembered as the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Jesus is remembered as His servant. Jesus is not the I AM, not God, not YHWH, etc.

Acts 3
13The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the God of our fathers, has glorified His servant Jesus.

Exodus 3
14God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’ ”
15God also told Moses, “Say to the Israelites, The LORD, the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.’ This is My name forever, and this is how I am to be remembered in every generation.

Replying to your last comment to me on page 3 and you still didn't address comment #4. The subject will never move forward until you actually address what I said and quit it with your whataboutisms. Acts 4:24,27 that proves Jesus isn't God isn't going away any time soon.

Revelation 6:10 which proves Jesus is God is still there.

Indeed. Here's some commentary I recently wrote on this:

According to scripture, Jesus is not the I AM because he isn't the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Jesus is God's servant, not God.

Only the I AM is remembered as the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Jesus is remembered as His servant. Jesus is not the I AM, not God, not YHWH, etc.

Acts 3
13The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the God of our fathers, has glorified His servant Jesus.

Exodus 3
14God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’ ”
15God also told Moses, “Say to the Israelites, The LORD, the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.’ This is My name forever, and this is how I am to be remembered in every generation.
Excellent, Amen!!!!!

Acts 3

Keep going...

Acts 3:14
But ye denied the Holy and Righteous One, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you.

"The Righteous One" (in reference to Jesus) is also used in Acts 7.

Acts 7:52
Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? And they have slain those who previously announced the coming of the Righteous One; whose betrayers and murderers you have now become.

The Righteous One, being the Lord, links with the fact that the Lord Jesus is the proper recipient of prayer (which proves He is God).
Acts 7:59-60
(59) And they stoned Stephen as he called out saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
(60) And falling on his knees, he cried out with a loud voice, Lord, do not hold this sin against them!

?????

How does Acts 4:24-27 prove Jesus is not God?

Acts 4:24-28
And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is: Who by the mouth of thy servant David hast said, "Why did the heathen rage, and the people imagine vain things?" The kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord, and against his Christ. For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together, for to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.

Nowhere do any of those sentences state "Jesus is not God."

Where in the Bible says "Jesus is God"????????????
Even the Jews of His day knew that He was making Himself equal with God, when He said all that He did about the sheep in John 10:7-18. Verse 33 tells us they were ready to kill Him for it. 33. The Jews answered Him, "It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself equal with God.

To which Jesus replied, 34-36 "Is it not written in your Law, 'I said you are gods'? If He called them gods to whom the word of God came---and Scripture cannot be broken---do you say of Him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, "I am the Son of God'?

Even those who hated Him knew what Son of God meant, that the Son of God could be none other than God. Why don't you?

And if you knew anything about the atonement beyond that it happened and through it our sins are forgiven (iow how you can claim salvation for yourself by believing that the atonement happened) you would know that it would be impossible for a created creature to qualify as a substitute for all believing creatures of all time. In order for the sacrifice to be that large and encompassing, well, a fallen creature or even a sinless creature if such a thing existed, does not have the dignity to do that. Only One who has the dignity of being self existent and eternal, but was also as one of those for whom He substitutes, could do such a thing.

Answer my question first and then and only then will I answer yours.

You do not get to dodge my question and ask me something expecting me to answer when you have refused to set the example. Just answer the question asked and move the discussion forward. YOU claimed the Acts 4 text proves Jesus is God. You did not say, Acts 4 is evidence..., or Acts 4 implies...., or Acts 4 can be inferred to mean... You said it proves Jesus is not God and BECAUSE you made that statement you are being asked,

How does Acts 4:24-28 prove Jesus is not God?

Just answer the question asked, if you can, and try to answer the question without dodging it, diversion, ad hominem, avoidance, or any other subterfuge. And if that question cannot be answered then just say so. We'll all move on accordingly.

More importantly, this thread is not about the entire doctrine of the Trinity. This op is about one specific aspect of Christology, namely, the "eternal subordination of the Son." Anything not specifically about "ESS" is off topic. Please do not attempt to hijack the op.

There is no past, present, or future for God. That's what it means to be " I am." That is what God is, He is "I am what I am". And Jesus is not "I am what I am". Get rid of all man's mentality.

Even the Jews.................
(pssst.... it's bait)

Just saying

Neither of them appear to be discussing the specified topic of this op (the eternal subordination of the Son). Even non-trins, if they so desired, could discuss the subordinate relationship of the Son to the Father and do so from their non-trin pov. We might even find areas of agreement. So far, the thread has been largely an in-house conversation among Trins clarifying a very small number of points of disagreement and it's turning into an attempt at wholesale repudiation of Christ's divinity instead of a discussion of "ESS."

Shh.... let's throw a grenade into their conversation.
Yeah, okay.
O, look, a grenade. Let's pick that up.

Two pages from now the thread will be all debris far removed from the original specified point of discussion.

Back