• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

THE JEWISHNESS OF THE SECOND TESTAMENT

jeremiah1five

BIBLICAL CHRISTIANITY
Reaction score
Country
USA
In understanding the Jewish foundations of the Christian faith most people recognize that the First Testament is very Jewish. Many even think that the Second Testament is a Gentile book and not very Jewish at all.
But let’s put this in perspective.

The First Testament and the Second Testament are actually two halves of exactly the same book and if you want to understand the Second Testament you first need to understand the First Testament.

In Gentile minds they believe that the Second Testament supersedes the First Testament, but this is not the case. What most people don’t understand is that the Second Testament is so unbelievably Jewish. If you push a Gentile mind into something that is inherently Jewish at every level, they can come up with some unfortunate understandings or interpretations. Although this is not deliberate on their part, it was deliberate in the early centuries in men’s attempts to severing its Jewish connection.

The Second Testament was written entirely by Jews. Most biblical scholars that read the New Testament understand it was written entirely by Jews and for the Jews. The writers themselves wrote with Jewish or Hebrew understanding and the historical framework of the original writers had written from was from the framework of Judaism.

The first four books of the Second Testament called the Gospels is completely written to a Jewish audience and it’s about Jewish history as it was unfolding. These were the eyewitness testimonies of what was happening in Judaea, the home of the Jews, to the Jewish people. It mentions the despots or occupying forces of the Romans and Herod who were oppressing the Jewish people.

The Second Testament is also a book about fulfilled prophecy. Most people when they read the Second Testament don’t realize how many times the Second Testament is referencing the First Testament.

The writers of the Second Testament could not look up Matthew or take a quote from apostle Paul out of Colossians because they only had the First Testament to reference, and they were filled with prophecy. Jesus Himself referenced and quoted the First Testament speaking about their prophets out of the books of Moses and Daniel and Jonah and others. When Jesus was asked a question, He took the person back to the First Testament. He wasn’t coming up with something new but firmly and solidly answered all questions by referencing the First Testament writings.

Jesus was always quoting the First Covenant. Jesus was addressing a Jewish audience in the sermon on the Mount by bring up the First Testament writings by saying, “You have heard it said…” or “It is written…” then He’d quote the passage relevant to His response in answer to the question.

Another fact is the Second Testament was written in the language of the Jews. We have the Second Covenant Scriptures written in Greek because they were living at a time when the culture was Greek and Hellenistic but the Jews themselves spoke Aramaic and Hebrew. So, even if they were speaking in Greek they were still talking about Hebrew and Jewish concepts and principles and traditions.

The language they used was the language of the Jewish people. The Second Testament is a book of Jews dealing with Jews. You had the Jewish believers that were dealing with antagonism of the religious Jewish leaders who had rejected Messiah. There were also Jewish believers dealing with issues of a growing Church and how the Holy Spirit was moving. For instance, such as when Gentile believers started wanting to join the Church and the question of whether or not they had to become Jews and circumcised. Even when Paul preached to his Jewish brethren and said, “I am going to go to the Gentiles” everywhere he traveled he went to the synagogue first and he preached to the Jews out of their Law that this Jesus was their Messiah and Redeemer and King.

The Second Testament is a book about Jewish history. Everything that unfolded in their present time always reflected to the First Covenant and the history of the Jewish people. In Corinthians Paul speaks about their forefathers and their wandering in the wilderness and their rebelliousness and concludes all of that happening was for your learning.

When you read through Revelation it is referring to history future not just history of the world but directly how it will affect the Jewish people. Most people just don’t realize how Jewish Revelation is. It talks about the Temple and the various practices going on there.

James, the apostle to the Jews, also talks about Jewish history and directly addresses his epistle to the “twelve tribes scattered abroad” which was true for the Jews had been living far and wide in Gentile lands as a result of the Diaspora and exile and conquest by first the Assyrians and then the Babylonians. When Jesus sent the apostles out in Acts 1 He sent them out to take a message to the twelve tribe descendants that Israel’s Messiah, Redeemer, and King had come and that God had kept His Promise in fulfilling every prophecy up to that time and with a message directly from God.

The book of Hebrew also explains so much of Temple practices and principles and Jewish history written to the Jews (Hebrews) and the relevance of all the symbolism of Judaism with the covenants, the promises, and their Law. All of it explained in Christ.

Peter, James, and John, all three known apostles to the Jews write to the Jews and on many subjects going directly to the effect the Messiah and Christ had brought upon them with His arrival and what it meant to Israel living at that time. Paul’s letters to the various Jewish churches in Asia Minor speaks directly to his Jewish brethren on many issues confronting their new faith in Messiah and how it was to play out in their daily lives.

In understanding the Jewish foundations of the Christian faith most people recognize that the First Testament is very Jewish. Many even think that the Second Testament is a Gentile book and not very Jewish at all.
I'm sure most know that most of the New Testament was written by Jews.

I've had a conversation with someone who went to seminary who told me that if they had been told that Jesus was Jewish, then it would have changed everything.

I would still like to know why a covenant between God and Israel (12) tribes gets labeled as only one tribe? What is a Jew? What is Jewish?

Thanks

I would still like to know why a covenant between God and Israel (12) tribes gets labeled as only one tribe? What is a Jew? What is Jewish?

Thanks
"Jew"has been uses to refer to someone from the tribe of Judah, someone from the southern Kingdom of Judah, or someone from one of the tribes of Israel. For example, Paul identified as a Jew even through he was from the tribe of Benjamin.

"Jew"has been uses to refer to someone from the tribe of Judah, someone from the southern Kingdom of Judah, or someone from one of the tribes of Israel. For example, Paul identified as a Jew even through he was from the tribe of Benjamin.
I still don’t get it!

It’s like saying every one in the USA is a Texan, try telling that to someone from the north east!

I still don’t get it!

It’s like saying every one in the USA is a Texan, try telling that to someone from the north east!
Israel split into the northern Kingdom of Israel and the southern Kingdom of Judah. The tribe of Judah was joined by the tribe of Benjamin and Levites in order to up the Kingdom of Judah, so a "Jew' can refer to someone from that kingdom, though it is has also come into usage to refer to anyone from one of the tribes of Israel or who converts.

But let’s put this in perspective.

The First Testament and the Second Testament are actually two halves of exactly the same book and if you want to understand the Second Testament you first need to understand the First Testament.

In Gentile minds they believe that the Second Testament supersedes the First Testament, but this is not the case. What most people don’t understand is that the Second Testament is so unbelievably Jewish. If you push a Gentile mind into something that is inherently Jewish at every level, they can come up with some unfortunate understandings or interpretations. Although this is not deliberate on their part, it was deliberate in the early centuries in men’s attempts to severing its Jewish connection.

The Second Testament was written entirely by Jews. Most biblical scholars that read the New Testament understand it was written entirely by Jews and for the Jews. The writers themselves wrote with Jewish or Hebrew understanding and the historical framework of the original writers had written from was from the framework of Judaism.

The first four books of the Second Testament called the Gospels is completely written to a Jewish audience and it’s about Jewish history as it was unfolding. These were the eyewitness testimonies of what was happening in Judaea, the home of the Jews, to the Jewish people. It mentions the despots or occupying forces of the Romans and Herod who were oppressing the Jewish people.

The Second Testament is also a book about fulfilled prophecy. Most people when they read the Second Testament don’t realize how many times the Second Testament is referencing the First Testament.

The writers of the Second Testament could not look up Matthew or take a quote from apostle Paul out of Colossians because they only had the First Testament to reference, and they were filled with prophecy. Jesus Himself referenced and quoted the First Testament speaking about their prophets out of the books of Moses and Daniel and Jonah and others. When Jesus was asked a question, He took the person back to the First Testament. He wasn’t coming up with something new but firmly and solidly answered all questions by referencing the First Testament writings.

Jesus was always quoting the First Covenant. Jesus was addressing a Jewish audience in the sermon on the Mount by bring up the First Testament writings by saying, “You have heard it said…” or “It is written…” then He’d quote the passage relevant to His response in answer to the question.

Another fact is the Second Testament was written in the language of the Jews. We have the Second Covenant Scriptures written in Greek because they were living at a time when the culture was Greek and Hellenistic but the Jews themselves spoke Aramaic and Hebrew. So, even if they were speaking in Greek they were still talking about Hebrew and Jewish concepts and principles and traditions.

The language they used was the language of the Jewish people. The Second Testament is a book of Jews dealing with Jews. You had the Jewish believers that were dealing with antagonism of the religious Jewish leaders who had rejected Messiah. There were also Jewish believers dealing with issues of a growing Church and how the Holy Spirit was moving. For instance, such as when Gentile believers started wanting to join the Church and the question of whether or not they had to become Jews and circumcised. Even when Paul preached to his Jewish brethren and said, “I am going to go to the Gentiles” everywhere he traveled he went to the synagogue first and he preached to the Jews out of their Law that this Jesus was their Messiah and Redeemer and King.

The Second Testament is a book about Jewish history. Everything that unfolded in their present time always reflected to the First Covenant and the history of the Jewish people. In Corinthians Paul speaks about their forefathers and their wandering in the wilderness and their rebelliousness and concludes all of that happening was for your learning.

When you read through Revelation it is referring to history future not just history of the world but directly how it will affect the Jewish people. Most people just don’t realize how Jewish Revelation is. It talks about the Temple and the various practices going on there.

James, the apostle to the Jews, also talks about Jewish history and directly addresses his epistle to the “twelve tribes scattered abroad” which was true for the Jews had been living far and wide in Gentile lands as a result of the Diaspora and exile and conquest by first the Assyrians and then the Babylonians. When Jesus sent the apostles out in Acts 1 He sent them out to take a message to the twelve tribe descendants that Israel’s Messiah, Redeemer, and King had come and that God had kept His Promise in fulfilling every prophecy up to that time and with a message directly from God.

The book of Hebrew also explains so much of Temple practices and principles and Jewish history written to the Jews (Hebrews) and the relevance of all the symbolism of Judaism with the covenants, the promises, and their Law. All of it explained in Christ.

Peter, James, and John, all three known apostles to the Jews write to the Jews and on many subjects going directly to the effect the Messiah and Christ had brought upon them with His arrival and what it meant to Israel living at that time. Paul’s letters to the various Jewish churches in Asia Minor speaks directly to his Jewish brethren on many issues confronting their new faith in Messiah and how it was to play out in their daily lives.

Many good points in the essay.

How far out of a future do you think the Rev had in mind?

If there was a weak spot, I would say your essay doesn't put together all the impact of the 3 initial talks by Peter (Acts 2-4) and how they are the best exhibit of preaching from 'Moses and the prophets.' This came from the 40 days of instruction. It was meant to show that the world-mission was underway like all the prophets said. Jewish believers would be an advantage toward that! So far as I can tell, they had almost no idea of a distant future, either, because the world would end after the 40 years of that generation. This is why Romans 2 puts wrath upon Jew followed quickly by wrath on the nations. Or when speaking on marriage or business or 'this worlds things,' Paul says this form is ending.

(It's neat how the 3-time failure Peter is empowered to give these 3 talks and assert the enthroned King to the world).

On these things, please see my book at Amazon: THE ENTHRONED KING, M. Sanford.

Last edited:

Thanks
The word "Jew" derives from Judah. I use it as a term for both Hebrew (pre)-Abe covenant, and Jew for (post)-Abe covenant of twelve tribe and their descendants.
Both describe God's Chosen people at any point in time.

I still don’t get it!

Hi. When God exiled the ten tribes (Asher, Dan, Ephraim, Gad, Issachar, Manasseh, Naphtali, Reuben, Simeon, and Zebulon), He said that the ten tribes would forget their Hebrew roots, and that the nations would forget them too. He said that the nations would be blessed through them, and in the last days He would restore the knowledge of their Hebrew roots to them. That He would bring them back to the land of Israel.
The Assyrian army took the ten tribes' captive back to Assyria. Years later, the Mede/Persian army fought and overthrew the Assyrians. The Mede/Persians told the Hebrew slaves that they were free to stay in Assyria, go back to Jerusalem, or do whatever they wanted to. Some stayed, some went back to Jerusalem, but most traveled north and west and to the edges of the land and the islands, as the Lord had said they would.
Most of the Hebrews in the land of Israel are of the tribe of Judah. Some are of Benjamin, and some are of Levi. There is a small number who came back from the ten tribes in Assyria. Since the largest number are of Judah, aka the Jews, they are all called Jews.
The thing is that most people forgot about the ten tribes and believe that they were absorbed into the nations and are no more. However, the word says otherwise.
"Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah. - Jeremiah 31:31
"you are to tell them that this is what the Lord GOD says: ‘I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes of Israel associated with him, and I will put them together with the stick of Judah. I will make them into a single stick, and they will become one in My hand." - Ezekiel 37:19 (Joseph and Ephraim are the ten tribes)
Any Jewish Rabbis that I've talked with do not call the ten tribes Jews.

I had attended a Lutheran Church awhile back where the pastor's daughter insisted Jesus was German.

Hi. When God exiled the ten tribes (Asher, Dan, Ephraim, Gad, Issachar, Manasseh, Naphtali, Reuben, Simeon, and Zebulon), He said that the ten tribes would forget their Hebrew roots, and that the nations would forget them too. He said that the nations would be blessed through them, and in the last days He would restore the knowledge of their Hebrew roots to them. That He would bring them back to the land of Israel.
The Assyrian army took the ten tribes' captive back to Assyria. Years later, the Mede/Persian army fought and overthrew the Assyrians. The Mede/Persians told the Hebrew slaves that they were free to stay in Assyria, go back to Jerusalem, or do whatever they wanted to. Some stayed, some went back to Jerusalem, but most traveled north and west and to the edges of the land and the islands, as the Lord had said they would.
Most of the Hebrews in the land of Israel are of the tribe of Judah. Some are of Benjamin, and some are of Levi. There is a small number who came back from the ten tribes in Assyria. Since the largest number are of Judah, aka the Jews, they are all called Jews.
The thing is that most people forgot about the ten tribes and believe that they were absorbed into the nations and are no more. However, the word says otherwise.
"Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah. - Jeremiah 31:31
"you are to tell them that this is what the Lord GOD says: ‘I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes of Israel associated with him, and I will put them together with the stick of Judah. I will make them into a single stick, and they will become one in My hand." - Ezekiel 37:19 (Joseph and Ephraim are the ten tribes)
On the day of Pentecost and the Advent of the Holy Spirit Peter's sermon was addressed to all twelve tribes and they were present with him in Israel and also living in Gentile lands. The reason Christ sent out His apostles in Acts 1 was to the twelve tribes scattered throughout the then-known world living in Gentile lands with the message to them that their Messiah and King had come, and that God has kept His Promise to send a Redeemer and King. Having the kingdom being restored was in the front of their minds in Acts 1 and they asked Jesus about it. Especially since Jesus was still here on the planet 40 days speaking to them about the kingdom of God.
Thy may not call them "Jews" and this is appropriate as each tribe was named for their fathers in covenant with God (Reubenites, Benjaminite, Ephraimites, etc.)

Israel split into the northern Kingdom of Israel and the southern Kingdom of Judah. The tribe of Judah was joined by the tribe of Benjamin and Levites in order to up the Kingdom of Judah, so a "Jew' can refer to someone from that kingdom, though it is has also come into usage to refer to anyone from one of the tribes of Israel or who converts.
Was there ever a Jewish covenant or Jewish religion or Jewish temple etc?

Was there ever a Jewish covenant or Jewish religion or Jewish temple etc?
God made a covent with the Israelites, though the religion taught by that covenant has come to be known as Judaism, which is straightforwardly based on the tribe or kingdom of Judah.

And how old was she?
About 13. Thing was, my daughter, who was about the same age and not a pastor's daughter, knew better.
Same mentality as when we first attended a Dutch Reformed, most wanted to know our last name.

The word "Jew" derives from Judah. I use it as a term for both Hebrew (pre)-Abe covenant, and Jew for (post)-Abe covenant of twelve tribe and their descendants.
Both describe God's Chosen people at any point in time.
Thanks

Furthermore...
"Then it will happen on that day that the Lord will again recover the second time with His hand the remnant of His people, who will remain, from Assyria, Egypt, Pathros, Cush, Elam, Shinar, Hamath, and from the islands of the sea. And He will lift up a standard for the nations and assemble the banished ones of Israel, and will gather the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth. Then the jealousy of Ephraim will depart, and those who harass Judah will be cut off; Ephraim will not be jealous of Judah, and Judah will not harass Ephraim. (Isaiah 11:11-13)

The Second Testament was written entirely by Jews. Most biblical scholars that read the New Testament understand it was written entirely by Jews and for the Jews.
  • It was written predominantly by Jews (Luke was probably not Jewish).
  • It was not written ENTIRELY for Jews. No serious bible scholar would make that claim. [Try to quote one.] Many books in the NT have a decidedly gentile audience based on the text.

Back