• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Question for Arminians and other free willers on Revelation 3:20

Foghorn

All Fowled Up
Reaction score
Why do you insist on using Rev 3:20 as an invitational verse about obtaining eternal life, when it has nothing to do with receiving eternal life or salvation? For the sake of charity and gentleness, I will ignore your use of pictures of a person begging at an arched door.

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Why do you insist on using Rev 3:20 as an invitational verse about obtaining eternal life, when it has nothing to do with receiving eternal life or salvation? For the sake of charity and gentleness, I will ignore your use of pictures of a person begging at an arched door.

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
I always thought the laodica church was lost as Jesus was knocking on the door asking to come in...then the following was pointed out.....19 Those I love, I rebuke and discipline. Therefore be earnest and repent.

Does Jesus "love, rebuke and discipline a lost church? Currently I can't be dogmatic on either position.

I always thought the laodica church was lost as Jesus was knocking on the door asking to come in...then the following was pointed out.....19 Those I love, I rebuke and discipline. Therefore be earnest and repent.

Does Jesus "love, rebuke and discipline a lost church? Currently I can't be dogmatic on either position.
Jesus is asking the church (Christians) to let him in to have communion with him.

1828 Wedster:
COMMUNION, noun

1. Fellowship; intercourse between two persons or more; interchange of transactions, or offices; a state of giving and receiving; agreement; concord.

We are naturally led to seek communion and fellowship with other.

What communion hath light with darkness? 2 Corinthians 6:14.

2. Mutual intercourse or union in religious worship, or in doctrine and discipline.

The Protestant churches have no communion with the Romish church.

Jesus is asking the church (Christians) to let him in to have communion with him.

1828 Wedster:
COMMUNION, noun

1. Fellowship; intercourse between two persons or more; interchange of transactions, or offices; a state of giving and receiving; agreement; concord.

We are naturally led to seek communion and fellowship with other.

What communion hath light with darkness? 2 Corinthians 6:14.

2. Mutual intercourse or union in religious worship, or in doctrine and discipline.

The Protestant churches have no communion with the Romish church.
This is not to the Lost, this is to the church.

Some theologians teach the opening of the door refers to conversion, and cannot refer to regeneration which is entirely the work of God. This makes sense and I agree. Fits right in with communion. Quite profound.

Some theologians teach the opening of the door refers to conversion, and cannot refer to regeneration which is entirely the work of God. This makes sense and I agree. Fits right in with communion. Quite profound.
I suspect what the Lord was saying when knocking is to allow Him to be Head in the assembly. When a local assembly functions not in their own ideas and strength, but in a mutual reliance for all things in Christ, then Life flows.
To put it briefly…He is saying, “ hey knock it off and listen to Me”.
One of the most agregious manifestation of not functioning with Jesus as Head is the Nicolaitans.
Where a man is elevated wrongly to replace Christ as Head…functionally.

This is not to the Lost, this is to the church.
Well, it's to a church all right; but, that does not mean that they were all saved.

I would offer. Set before thee an open door . Some Jews were trusting the Jewish flesh as DNA a ticket in. They refused to enter the open door the power of Christ's faithful labor of love

Revelation 3:8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name. Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee

The invitation verse 20 represents the fellowship of the believer . The loving commandment if you hear his voice and not harden our heart our He will give us rest. sharing the burden

Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I willcome in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Revelation 4:1 After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter.

The warning of them that say they are Jew and are not they had left his first love. Hearing the faithful understanding of Christ They were called to repent and do the first works. . . believe God not seen as he empowers mankind to do His good will .

The Nicolaitan church pastored by Nicodenmus. Some of the congregation loved ands a trusted Nicodenmus a creature above the faithful ".Let there be" Creator"

The wrath of God spoken of in Roman 1:25

Roman 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

Revealtion 2:4-9 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. (understand God) Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; (believe God not seen) or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent. But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate.He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God. And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive; I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews,(born again) and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

Restless wanders no more. Christ the key. . . the open door

Back