• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Jesus tells us directly what causes one to be lost.

According to the doctrine of Total Depravity, who is it that is totally depraved?

I thought it was "All men"

WCF 6.4

iv. From this original corruption, whereby we are utterly indisposed, disabled, and made opposite to all good, and wholly inclined to all evil, do proceed all actual transgressions.

WCF 6.4

iv. From this original corruption, whereby we are utterly indisposed, disabled, and made opposite to all good, and wholly inclined to all evil, do proceed all actual transgressions.
The article explicitly states, "from this original corruption." Those God has saved from sin and wrath and been indwelt and regenerated no longer suffer the soteriologically incapacitating effects of sin. Total Depravity applies to the unsaved, not the already saved.

You've been wrong since you first posted, and refused to collaborate with all efforts to HELP you get it right.
No. It is not the same light. Men preach themselves and very little of the "Light".... We are the reason why people believe or not.

Php 2:19 But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timotheus shortly unto you, that I also may be of good comfort, when I know your state.
Php 2:20 For I have no man likeminded, who will naturally care for your state.
Php 2:21 For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's.

Rom 11:14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.

1Co 4:15 For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

Eze 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.
Not a single word you've posted in this thread has anything to do with the posts you're quoting.

You're a troll.

WCF 6.4

All as in as many as the father gave to the Son . As many as the key

Matthew 14:36 And besought him that they might only touch the hem of his garment: and as many as touched were made perfectly whole.

John 1:12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

John 8:30 As he spake these words, many believed on him.

John 17:2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

I do? We can discuss.

1. Are you total depraved?
2. Have you ever been total depraved?
3. What is the evidence you're no longer total depraved?

If God works in you then why do you still act total depraved?
"If God works in you then why do you still act total depraved?" <--Textbook question framing fallacy and ad-hom attack.

As for the first 3 questions, they have already been answered by myself and @Josheb

WCF 6.4

Yes all (as many as) that the father gave to the Son they alone are empowered to come.

Why not answer the question yourself?

1. Are you total depraved?
2. Have you ever been total depraved?
3. What is the evidence you're no longer total depraved?

If God works in you then why do you still act total depraved?
"If God works in you then why do you still act total depraved?" <--Textbook question framing fallacy and ad-hom attack.

As for the first 3 questions, they have already been answered by myself and @Josheb
I think :unsure: @praise_yeshua now understands he's made a mistake incorrectly applying total depravity to the already saved and not limiting it to the unsaved but has yet to acknowledge the mistake here in the boards. The matter of the saved being TD was inserted into a small number of threads around the same time and addressed uniformly by showing the verses and WCF Article employed to justify the practice were misused. The irony, of course, is the fallacious questions, persistent misunderstanding in the face of uniform correction, and absence of repentance are the kinds of things that evidence depravity (corruption), just not the kind covered by the doctrine of total depravity.

1 Timothy 6:3-7
If anyone advocates a different doctrine and does not agree with sound words, those of our Lord Jesus Christ, and with the doctrine conforming to godliness, he is conceited and understands nothing; but he has a morbid interest in controversial questions and disputes about words, out of which arise envy, strife, abusive language, evil suspicions, and constant friction between men of depraved mind and deprived of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment. For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either.

Titus 3:10-11 ESV
As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.

Good thing he is saved ;).

According to the doctrine of Total Depravity, who is it that is totally depraved?

I would offer. .

Depravity . . act of becoming bad or worse;" corrupting ,dying

Romans 7:24-25King James Version23 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Depraved mankind. . . A man must be born again, . . . . .Why wonder?

I would offer. .

Depravity . . act of becoming bad or worse;" corrupting ,dying

Romans 7:24-25King James Version23 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Depraved mankind. . . A man must be born again, . . . . .Why wonder?
You're making the same mistake @praise_yeshua made.

The doctrine of Total Depravity (TD) is not a doctrine about all depravity. That doctrine is a very specific, specified, and limited doctrine. All says is the depraving effects of sin prevent sinners from coming to God specifically for salvation in their own might. Sin may have many effects but TD is not concerned with any of those except that which pertains to our ability to seek and obtain salvation in our own might, or solely with our own faculties. TD does NOT say human sinners are ONLY depraved to the point they cannot do anything but act wholly depraved. Even sinful man can act in a morally good manner. Sinful man can and does act in some way good and in some ways bad, but none of it is soteriologically salient. Even if a sinful sinner could perform a "good" act the fact remains we are not saved by works (especially not sinful works). We're saved by grace, not works. We are saved for the purpose of doing good works God has planned for us before He saved us. The Greek word "adokimos," sometimes translated as "reprobate," simply means the act (or person) failed to pass the test, is not approved, or is counterfeit, and it carries with it the connotation of decay or corruption (which is a recurring theme throughout scripture).

Verses written by a saved person to saved people about saved people have nothing to do with the doctrine of Total Depravity.

A saved person can still act in a failed way, a manner that evidences some remaining sinful influence, but that has nothing to do with the doctrine of TD. That condition would be covered by other aspects of hamartiology, like sanctification.

The doctrine of Total Depravity (TD) is not a doctrine about all depravity. That doctrine is a very specific, specified, and limited doctrine. All says is the depraving effects of sin prevent sinners from coming to God specifically for salvation in their own might. Sin may have many effects but TD is not concerned with any of those except that which pertains to our ability to seek and obtain salvation in our own might, or solely with our own faculties. TD does NOT say human sinners are ONLY depraved to the point they cannot do anything but act wholly depraved. Even sinful man can act in a morally good manner. Sinful man can and does act in some way good and in some ways bad, but none of it is soteriologically salient. Even if a sinful sinner could perform a "good" act the fact remains we are not saved by works (especially not sinful works). We're saved by grace, not works. We are saved for the purpose of doing good works God has planned for us before He saved us. The Greek word "adokimos," sometimes translated as "reprobate," simply means the act (or person) failed to pass the test, is not approved, or is counterfeit, and it carries with it the connotation of decay or corruption (which is a recurring theme throughout scripture).

Verses written by a saved person to saved people about saved people have nothing to do with the doctrine of Total Depravity.

A saved person can still act in a failed way, a manner that evidences some remaining sinful influence, but that has nothing to do with the doctrine of TD. That condition would be covered by other aspects of hamartiology, like sanctification.
Thanks

I would offer. Mankind dead in his trespasses and sin, living in a body of death. Working out the appointment to die once.

In that way God calls us dead. "should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? Isaiah 8.

Mankind was seeking dead relatives or men of renown what are called patron saints today. The dead for those still on living earth

2Corinthtians informs us .

2 Corinthians 4: 7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

A reflection of Philippians 2 the key both

Philippians 2 13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. Do all things without murmurings and disputings:

Jesus did the will empowered by the Father with delight.

One last example as evidence God is not served by the dying hands of mankind .

He is served with the water of his word.. it can soften our hearts of stone

Job 23:11-16 My foot hath held his steps, his way have I kept, and not declined. Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food. But he is in one mind, and who can turn him? and what his soul desireth, even that he doeth.For he performeth the thing that is appointed for me: and many such things are with him.Therefore am I troubled at his presence: when I consider, I am afraid of him. For God maketh my heart soft, and the Almighty troubleth me:

"Verses written by a saved person to saved people about saved people have nothing to do with the doctrine of Total Depravity."

I will only caution you to be careful here. Paul, a saved person, wrote to saved people about their prior lifestyle being dead in trespasses and sins (Eph 2:1-3) before they were made alive (2:5). Sometimes (I'm speaking in general and not pointing fingers at anyone in particular at the moment) I have seen posters get too narrow an interpretive scope in their minds because Paul was writing to saved people. Paul can address them as saved, and Paul can also remind them of their past, which was an example of total depravity (prior to being made alive).

No doubt, you would probably remind me of your underlined and italicized portion. You would point out that though Paul was addressing saved people, his comments in 2:1-3 was not "about saved people." It was about the prior lifestyle before salvation. I would completely agree, and we both agree that total depravity applies to the unregenerate. So I'm not trying to propagate or promote the other poster's incompetence. However, I'm just trying to present an interpretive caution, and in this passage I do think that total depravity does apply to the prior lifestyle/state of people who are now converted and regenerated, before they were made alive (v5). Even saved people have a pre-conversion history; Paul had a significantly bad backstory of persecuting Christians (Steven the chief example). And as I see it, when Paul reminds his readers of their prior state, he uses that backdrop to further highlight the lavish grace of God (2:4) at work in the lives of the Ephesians, which brought them from their past "dead in transgressions and sins" to their current state. God's grace is the foundation to their current lives, and Paul uses this discussion (2:1-10) to break down the dividing wall of hostility (2:14) between Jews and Gentiles. Both the Jews and Gentiles were "under sin" (Rom 3:9). And as such their common redemption through Christ unifies them.

I digress, but it was a good digression. I hope you hear (or rather "read") my caution.

I digress, but it was a good digression. I hope you hear (or rather "read") my caution.
It is a digression (not sure how good, or not) and I do understand the caution.

The salient point is that verses about the saved shouldn't be applied to the unsaved and that practice is one of the most frequently occurring problems in any Arm v Cal discussion. It's very dysfunctional both scripturally and logically. It's bad exegesis. It creates red herrings, straw men, false comparisons/equivalences, ambiguities, false causes, categorical errors and errors of construction, and more. After the "Yep," read the first paragraph in this post HERE (Post 51). I listed four big problems:

1. Getting our own doctrine wrong.
  2. Getting the other party's doctrine wrong.
  3. The failure to correctly identify and discriminate the audience affiliation of scripture.
  4. Thinking Calvinism or Arminianism (or any other ~ism) is singular or monolithic, lacking any diversity within a core orthodoxy.

One or more of those four problems can be seen in every single thread in the Arm v Cal board. It is, imo, a sad state because we're all intelligent enough to use a computer so we're all intelligent enough to learn sound exegesis and sound reasoning. We are all also, presumably, capable of acknowledging any of those mistakes and self-correcting them for the sake of a functional conversation and goodwill among our siblings. Neither do any of the four ever solve any of the differences (which implies those willfully ignoring or willfully resisting correcting these problems want the division).

ALL of the epistles were written to Christians. We know this because the letters usually identify the intended audience very early on. That does not mean every single word or sentence is about Christians. The authors do sometimes talk about non-Christians or the attributes or practices of non-Christians. On all such occasions the author indicates the group about which he's writing so we, the 21st century reader, can and should make that distinction. It's just as dysfunctional to apply attributes of the non-Christian onto Christians as it is to attempt applying the conditions of the regenerate believer onto the unregenerate non-believer. We saw this happen with the assumption Total Depravity applies to the already-saved regenerate believer when it does not.
Paul can address them as saved, and Paul can also remind them of their past, which was an example of total depravity (prior to being made alive).
Exactly. Sorta.

Total depravity is a condition prior to being saved. Since TD is specifically about the inability to become saved in one's own might it has, by definition, nothing to do with the already-saved and that is the problem incorrectly injected by our brother into these recent threads. The doctrine (TD) does not apply to the saved. WCF 6.4 does not apply to the saved. Some scriptures apply to both saved and unsaved. Scriptures specifically about the unsaved don't apply to the saved. Scriptures specifically about the saved do not apply to the unsaved. Scripture usually identifies its applicable audience, and no one should ignore what scripture states when it does. Various forms of depravity, or corruption, can occur before or after salvation but the effects of sin in their general form have nothing to do with TD.

None of this is an Arm thing or a Cal thing (Arminius was a subscriber of TD). Only the other, more volitional soteriologies dissent (which is why our brother thought he had a valid point of dispute). This is an example of the #2 problem (see list above).

Back