• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Is Christ's Presence IN the Sacraments at Communion?

Is Christ's Presence IN the Sacraments at Communion?

• Yes; in order to receive spiritual benefits

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • No; only to be done in remembrance of Him

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • I don't know; I just follow the crowd/church

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care because it is not that important

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Other; reply below

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
So you agree that 2,000 years ago the only Church was the Catholic Church.... thanks Bob!
Sorry, but the catholic (small "c") church has always been the ONLY church, The ROMAN CATHOLIC religious system is a whole different breed of cat. BUT HEY!! at least you don't murder your competition any more, so that's progress.

The Roman catholic religious system didn't even exist 2000 years ago.

Sorry, but the catholic (small "c") church has always been the ONLY church, The ROMAN CATHOLIC religious system is a whole different breed of cat.
Same Church... Nazarenes/Catholics/Universal/Christian/The Way

It is Christ and he commanded it!
It requires a ministerial priesthood also
Yes ceremonial shadows as a sign to the unbelieving world need some one to display them

Aarons two sons were warned its not all abut you dying mankind it is all about the invisible head Christ.
They ignore the law in exchange 30 seconds of false fame Consumed them. not a hint of smoke on the ceremonial attire.

Leviticus 10:1-3King James Version1 And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the Lord, which he commanded them not. And there went out fire from the Lord, and devoured them, and they died before the Lord.

The time had come for the new order of priesthood of believers men and women marking the last days a change in the priesthood. Men and women prophets young and old holding out the gospel of Christ

The walls fell that separated the Jewish women from the Jewish men. They were not allowed to participate in the ceremonies (men only club) women and children stay out or else . . and another high wall that separated the Jews from the gentile A gospel exposion famlies from all,nations can gather together a Joy like never before or ever again a great tribulation for the Jew that was trusting his dying flesh could profit for something

A glorious day one like never before or ever again.

Acts 2:17-18 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

I would offer it does not resemble the Catholic format ... their walls have not fallen

Is Christ's Presence in the sacraments at communion?

Regardless of long held church's tradition, scriptures says no, because that would make the bread and the wine idols, making it more than what it is to be done for, which is to be simply done in remembrance of Him in proclaiming the Lord's death till He comes; nothing more than that is going on there at communion in His eyes.

There is a risk of being left behind at the pre great tribulation rapture event if we are have communion for more than just in remembrance of Him.

Psalm 135:15 The idols of the heathen are silver and gold, the work of men's hands. 16 They have mouths, but they speak not; eyes have they, but they see not; 17 They have ears, but they hear not; neither is there any breath in their mouths. 18 They that make them are like unto them: so is every one that trusteth in them.

1 Corinthians 10:14 Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry. 15 I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say. 16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread. 18 Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar? 19 What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing? 20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils. 21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils. 22 Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he? 23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

1 Corinthians 11:
23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: 24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. 25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. 26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. 29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. 30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. 31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you. 18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
John 10:1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber....
7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. 9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
Luke 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.
25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are: 26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets. 27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity. 28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out. 29 And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God. 30 And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last.
How can Christ be an idol?

The bread/wafer and thimble of wine/grape juice are not Jesus.
1 cor 11:27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

How can a man be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord?

And some sick and others dead?

Paul certainly does not agree with you!

1 cor 10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?

Thks

I voted no because I think the meaning behind the title of the OP is regarding the Catholic Eucharist. I could have voted "other" because of the wording of the title.

Christ's blood and body are not present in the the sacraments of communion. Christ is present as His people enter into their communion with Him and one another as His set apart people, remembering the blood and body of the covenant the sacrifice of the One who purchased them for God. Are special graces given in this communion that are not otherwise given as some say? Possibly. This I cannot say for sure.
Mal 1:11
11 For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my name shall be great among the Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered unto my name, and a pure offering: for my name shall be great among the heathen, saith the Lord of hosts.

1 cor 10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?

Is Christ's Presence in the sacraments at communion?
The OT sacrifices were the pattern/type of the NT sacrifice.

To what kind of presence are you referring?
Was the lamb present in the sacrifice after its death?
The lamb's life was not present, but its dead flesh was present.
Regardless of long held church's tradition, scriptures says no, because that would make the bread and the wine idols, making it more than what it is to be done for, which is to be simply done in remembrance of Him in proclaiming the Lord's death till He comes; nothing more than that is going on there at communion in His eyes.
There is a risk of being left behind at the pre great tribulation rapture event if we are have communion for more than just in remembrance of Him.
Psalm 135:15 The idols of the heathen are silver and gold, the work of men's hands. 16 They have mouths, but they speak not; eyes have they, but they see not; 17 They have ears, but they hear not; neither is there any breath in their mouths. 18 They that make them are like unto them: so is every one that trusteth in them.
1 Corinthians 10:14 Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry. 15 I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say. 16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread. 18 Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar? 19 What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing? 20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils. 21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils. 22 Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he? 23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

1 Corinthians 11:
23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: 24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. 25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. 26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. 29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. 30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. 31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and
what communion hath light with darkness?
That is not referring to the Lord's Supper, but to commonality.
15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you. 18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
John 10:1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber....
7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. 9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
Luke 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.
25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are: 26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets. 27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity. 28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out. 29 And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God. 30 And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last.

I would think pretending you are eating and drink of blood; A round wafer that turns into blood made with the hands of man Not sure of the recipe?

Christ says what goes into mouth comes out as draught It must be buried outside the camp

The Pope s simply denies the authority of all things written in the law and prophets

Saint Cyril of Jerusalem 4th c

Since He Himself has declared and said of the bread: This is My Body, who shall dare to doubt any more? And when He asserts and says: This is My Blood, who shall ever hesitate and say it is not His Blood? … if Christ could change water into wine, can He not change wine into His own Blood? … They do not remain in their original condition, they have been changed, though the senses cannot tell us this … Do not think it mere bread and wine, for it is the Body and Blood of Christ, according to the Lord’s declaration.

Corpus Christi!

1 O saving Victim, op'ning wide
The gate of heav'n to man below,
Our foes press on from every side;
Thine aid supply, thy strength bestow.

2 All praise and all thanksgiving to thee Forevermore, blest One in Three; O grant us endless leanth of days In our true native land with thee.
Amen!

Down in adoration falling,
Lo! the sacred Host we hail;
Lo! o'er ancient forms departing,
Newer rites of grace prevail;
Faith for all defects supplying,
Where the feeble senses fail.
To the everlasting Father,
And the Son who reigns on high,
With the Holy Ghost proceeding
Forth from each eternally,
Be salvation, honor, blessing,
Might and endless majesty. Amen.

V. You have given them bread from heaven,
R. Having all sweetness within it.

Let us pray.

O God, who in this wonderful Sacrament left us a memorial of your Passion: grant, we beseech thee that we may so venerate the sacred mysteries of Thy Body and Blood, as always to be conscious of the fruit of Thy Redemption. Thou who live and reign forever and ever!

Amen!

Anytime Christ is believed to be someone or something he is not, or exploited for the sake of one's fleshly comfort, Christ has become an idol. The New Testament is filled with examples of Jewish hypocrisy and legalism wherein God was made a mockery, made an idol instead of the Deity with whom those people should have had a loving, thriving, covenant relationship. A number of cults redefine, misuse, and abuse God and Christ to make them idols.

Exodus 20:4 KJV
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me, and shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Exodus 20:4
You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath, or in the water under the earth.

To my knowledge, there is not a Catholic church building anywhere in the world that does not have graven images of Jesus still hanging on the cross (when the fact of scripture is that he has come down of the cross and defeated death, resurrected, and is now ascended into heaven where he is seated at his Father's right hand. In other words, there are very few Roman Catholic Church buildings that haven't made an idol out of Christ by presenting carved images of a still-crucified Jesus.

1 cor 11:27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

How can a man be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord?
By drinking and eating unworthily. A better question is how can you post a verse that explicitly answers the question and then ask the question as if the verse quoted does not answer the question!

Once again you prove yourself a troll.
Paul certainly does not agree with you!
No, this is simply another example of you abusing scripture by making it say things it nowhere states. Paul did not state the bread and wine are literally Jesus' body. What Paul did state is partaking of bread and wine during the Lord's supper in an unworthy manner would make one guilty of his body and blood.

Thks
Again, the verse states the cup is communion of the blood. The verse does NOT state the contents of the cup is Jesus' blood.

You should take care here, don because the Lord's Supper was not a wafer of pressed bread and a sip of wine of grape juice. The Lord's supper was an entire meal, one so large and so plentiful that some over-indulged to the point of gluttony and intoxication. The Roman Catholic Church has abused the Lord's Supper, perverting it in a reductionist manner to a small piece of bread and sip of liquid. In any parish where grape juice is served for the recovering alcoholics in the congregation then two different substances - on of which was NOT what Jesus was talking about during his last supper - are being transformed into blood! Sadly, all the Protestant denominations have been infected by the gross manipulation of both scripture and ritual that occurred at the hands of the RCC. The Lord's Supper has been replaced, in some instances, with an "agape feast," in an attempt to re-establish what Jesus and the NT era Church practiced. Jesus held a piece of unleavened bread in his hand - the hand of his body held a piece of bread and while his body was holding up a piece of bread he said, "this is my body...." Everyone in the room literally saw his body holding a piece of bread. They did not literally see his literal body literally holding a literal piece of his literal body. Jesus was not contradicting reality or speaking nonsensically. The bread he was holding was bread, not literally his body.

If I did not already cover these facts earlier than I was remiss, and if I did do so then please forgive the unnecessary redundance.

Anytime Christ is believed to be someone or something he is not, or exploited for the sake of one's fleshly comfort, Christ has become an idol. The New Testament is filled with examples of Jewish hypocrisy and legalism wherein God was made a mockery, made an idol instead of the Deity with whom those people should have had a loving, thriving, covenant relationship. A number of cults redefine, misuse, and abuse God and Christ to make them idols.

Exodus 20:4 KJV
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me, and shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Exodus 20:4
You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath, or in the water under the earth.

To my knowledge, there is not a Catholic church building anywhere in the world that does not have graven images of Jesus still hanging on the cross (when the fact of scripture is that he has come down of the cross and defeated death, resurrected, and is now ascended into heaven where he is seated at his Father's right hand. In other words, there are very few Roman Catholic Church buildings that haven't made an idol out of Christ by presenting carved images of a still-crucified Jesus.
Where does it say a crucifix represents that?

The church must portray Jesus as crucified!

1 cor 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

1 Cor 2:2
For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Jn 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: (on the cross)

Gal 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
(Portrayed / crucifix)

Images are not forbidden!

Only God may be lawfully worshipped!

What commandment does scripture say is opposed to graven images?

Thks

By drinking and eating unworthily. A better question is how can you post a verse that explicitly answers the question and then ask the question as if the verse quoted does not answer the question!

No, this is simply another example of you abusing scripture by making it say things it nowhere states. Paul did not state the bread and wine are literally Jesus' body. What Paul did state is partaking of bread and wine during the Lord's supper in an unworthy manner would make one guilty of his body and blood.

Again, the verse states the cup is communion of the blood. The verse does NOT state the contents of the cup is Jesus' blood.

You should take care here, don because the Lord's Supper was not a wafer of pressed bread and a sip of wine of grape juice. The Lord's supper was an entire meal, one so large and so plentiful that some over-indulged to the point of gluttony and intoxication. The Roman Catholic Church has abused the Lord's Supper, perverting it in a reductionist manner to a small piece of bread and sip of liquid. In any parish where grape juice is served for the recovering alcoholics in the congregation then two different substances - on of which was NOT what Jesus was talking about during his last supper - are being transformed into blood! Sadly, all the Protestant denominations have been infected by the gross manipulation of both scripture and ritual that occurred at the hands of the RCC. The Lord's Supper has been replaced, in some instances, with an "agape feast," in an attempt to re-establish what Jesus and the NT era Church practiced. Jesus held a piece of unleavened bread in his hand - the hand of his body held a piece of bread and while his body was holding up a piece of bread he said, "this is my body...." Everyone in the room literally saw his body holding a piece of bread. They did not literally see his literal body literally holding a literal piece of his literal body. Jesus was not contradicting reality or speaking nonsensically. The bread he was holding was bread, not literally his body.

If I did not already cover these facts earlier than I was remiss, and if I did do so then please forgive the unnecessary redundance.
No if it’s not Christ and his real body and blood there is no way to offend

Maybe it’s a symbolic offense, symbolic sickness symbolic death?

Thks

Do this means to offer the sacrifice
Mal 1:11

Where does it say a crucifix represents that?
I just got done explaining the answer to that question. The better question is, "Where does scripture say, 'portray the crucifix'"?
The church must portray Jesus as crucified!
No, the Church must portray Christ resurrected and ascendant, and it needn't do so with graven images.
1 cor 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

1 Cor 2:2
For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Jn 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: (on the cross)

Gal 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
(Portrayed / crucifix)

Images are not forbidden!
More gross mishandling of scripture, not a single one of which actually states anything about graven images.
Only God may be lawfully worshipped!
Jesus is God.
What commandment does scripture say is opposed to graven images?

Thks
Again, I already answered that question.

You are, once again, clearly trolling and self-evidently misusing scripture.

Back