• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Jesus tells us directly what causes one to be lost.

Mercy_Shown

Senior
Reaction score
I have been pouring over scriptures studying what the bible has to say about the theology of salvation. As with most human constructs, I cannot find where God's plan of salvation fits nicely into TULIP or the Arminian tendencies toward Grace Plus. As I studied this I remembered an often-overlooked passage quoting Jesus. It is often overlooked because it comes directly after arguably the most famous passage in the bible: John 3:16.

It is found a couple of doors down in John 3:19-20 and here we read exactly what the verdict of the damned will be based on. I will quote from the Amplified translation. "This is the judgment [that is, the cause for indictment, the test by which people are judged, the basis for the sentence]: the Light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. For every wrongdoer hates the Light, and does not come to the Light [but shrinks from it] for fear that his [sinful, worthless] activities will be exposed and condemned."

Here we find that the natural state of mankind is darkness. In this darkness, there was no light. There was no chance to know anything but darkness. A person could not save himself or herself or even know any truth about spiritual things. But God sent his light to this world. What seems to separate the saints from the damned is their reaction to the light.

This is probably a visceral reaction and not a purposeful action at first. But suffice it to say that as those who approach the light come closer and closer, their sins and filthiness are exposed but they do not draw back. They continue forward having their evil deeds exposed and condemned. Note that they are not condemned but their deeds are.

Those who see in the light their evil deeds and their eminent exposure and condemnation and shrink from the light to protect their cherished sins are judged and sentenced to eternal ruin. The biases of judgment lies in what and whom we love. And it appears to directly come from our relationship with sin. Do we love it or hate it once the light exposes it to us.

I have been pouring over scriptures studying what the bible has to say about the theology of salvation. As with most human constructs, I cannot find where God's plan of salvation fits nicely into TULIP or the Arminian tendencies toward Grace Plus. As I studied this I remembered an often-overlooked passage quoting Jesus. It is often overlooked because it comes directly after arguably the most famous passage in the bible: John 3:16.

It is found a couple of doors down in John 3:19-20 and here we read exactly what the verdict of the damned will be based on. I will quote from the Amplified translation. "This is the judgment [that is, the cause for indictment, the test by which people are judged, the basis for the sentence]: the Light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. For every wrongdoer hates the Light, and does not come to the Light [but shrinks from it] for fear that his [sinful, worthless] activities will be exposed and condemned."

Here we find that the natural state of mankind is darkness. In this darkness, there was no light. There was no chance to know anything but darkness. A person could not save himself or herself or even know any truth about spiritual things. But God sent his light to this world. What seems to separate the saints from the damned is their reaction to the light.

This is probably a visceral reaction and not a purposeful action at first. But suffice it to say that as those who approach the light come closer and closer, their sins and filthiness are exposed but they do not draw back. They continue forward having their evil deeds exposed and condemned. Note that they are not condemned but their deeds are.

Those who see in the light their evil deeds and their eminent exposure and condemnation and shrink from the light to protect their cherished sins are judged and sentenced to eternal ruin. The biases of judgment lies in what and whom we love. And it appears to directly come from our relationship with sin. Do we love it or hate it once the light exposes it to us.
Well said.

In one sense to me it would be like looking into a mirror and forgetting about the face looking back. (Face to face)

Remember God cannot only create light temporal But his very essence is Light .He introduced himself to darkness when he said "let there be my presence" Light and it was God good.

He was the light of the world the first three days and in the new heavens no Sun or moon no corruption time clock winding down to the last day under the sun . His Light will return but no more night. Same with Love . God is Love and not only can he exercise it We walk in His loving light, the gospel

Back