• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Misunderstanding Paul?

So, you are going to show, what you think are good reasons, to believe man should have a little glory in salvation, and all the glory should not go to God? Okay,. šŸ˜ž
It is actually the very opposite. Which God would people, to whom we witness, prefer to serve? One who gives people an equal chance of salvation, as Irenaeus tells, He gives HIs goodwill to all. Hell then is the logical result of rebellion against His goodwill. Or a God who actually loves to cause people to suffer, for no other reason than He is angry, giving a portion no hope for no reason other than He wills it.

If my God is the real one, then your gospel is fairly offensive. If your God is real who cares, what will happen will happen.

It is actually the very opposite. Which God would people, to whom we witness, prefer to serve? One who gives people an equal chance of salvation, as Irenaeus tells, He gives HIs goodwill to all. Hell then is the logical result of rebellion against His goodwill. Or a God who actually loves to cause people to suffer, for no other reason than He is angry, giving a portion no hope for no reason other than He wills it.

If my God is the real one, then your gospel is fairly offensive. If your God is real who cares, what will happen will happen.
It is your post that is offensive - very offensive!

It's nothing to do with which God (there is only one God!) would people prefer to serve! It is what God has declared about himself in the Bible that is decisive.

Hell is not "the logical result of rebellion against His goodwill"; rather, it is how God has chosen to punish those of the wicked whom he has not chosen to save (we all start out wicked (unless or until God saves us by his grace) and deserve to go to hell).

Or a God who actually loves to cause people to suffer, for no other reason than He is angry, giving a portion no hope for no reason other than He wills it.
This is a disgusting caricature of the biblical truth about God's sovereignty in salvation, typical of the blasphemous insults that freewillers like to throw about.

Here are some things that the Lord has told us about his sovereign choice in salvation. If you hate these, then you hate God (the real God).

John 6:36-39 (KJV)
36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.
37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.
39 And this is the Fatherā€™s will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

John 6:43,44
(KJV)
43 Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves.
44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:65,66
(KJV)
65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.
66 Ā¶ From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

John 10:15
(KJV) As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

John 10:24-26
(KJV)
24 Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly.
25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Fatherā€™s name, they bear witness of me.
26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
John 17:9
(KJV) I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

Acts 13:48
(KJV) And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

etc., etc.

I suggest you stick with the line in Jn 6, that:

40 For this is the will of my Fatherā€”for everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him to have eternal life, and I will raise him up[bi] at the last day.ā€[bj]

God's will is that everyone who looks on the Son will live/be raised.

But it not "Paul" strictly speaking, which may be the flaw of the thread.

The above post is a series of faulty conclusions that have no basis in fact.
1. That we should witness in such a way as to make people want to serve Him, rather than according to truth. It is not about who we prefer to serve but Who is to be served. It reduces the gospel to either being non existent or irrelevant, our ability to persuade people to choose Jesus becomes the focus of our efforts. Man again, rather than God.
2. Assumes that God must be fair according to our definition of fair. If He were fait, giving all people the same thing, we would all receive justice, Be careful what you ask for. You almost give support from other sources here. Irenaeus and what he said----who is not the source of truth, the Bible is. And what he meant by "He gives goodwill to all." is up for grabs as when you use it in this post it has no context and in any case is wide open to interpretation. I would agree God has good will towards all in a sense of general mercy. "He causes it to rain on the just and unjust alike." He feeds the beasts, water to the thirsty, etc. But that is not covenant, saving mercy.

3.To say hell is the logical result of rebellion against His goodwill contains no logic at all. Good will is not defined, and to reduce the act of treason of Adam in the garden, in whose footsteps we follow, to "rebellion against His good will" rather than rebellion against Him, is to soften the blow of SIN to almost of no significance (therein reducing the cross and Christ's propitiation that reconciles the believer to God to be of lesser significance or none at all). It does two things that are of utmost importance. It fails to see the holiness of God, and it fails to see just how desperate we are for a Savior.

4. Your presentation of the view you oppose as offering to the lost a God who "loves to cause people to suffer", simply because He is angry and that He gives people no hope for no reason other than He wills it, is based entirely on how you feel about it but in no way, not even close, is it what the theology (doctrine of GOD) you oppose presents. Therefore when you stated it thus, you undermined the credibility of everything you say.

But while we are on the subject of the study of God---which seems to have no place in your post and is replaced with a feeling of who God should be, how do you deal with the following in connection with His good will towards all.

God actually creating hell for the wicked?
God giving the land that belonged to others to Israel, commanding that they destroy all the fighting men, sometimes even everyone, take their treasures, sometimes burn entire cities.
God bringing famine.
Demanding animal sacrifice.
God choosing Israel alone in the OT to covenant with and be their God.
Jacob over Esau.

Sending His own Son the the cross.

Do you simply ignore these things about God?
I will be waiting for your response.

God actually creating hell for the wicked?

Eze 33:11 Say to them: 'As I live,' says the Lord GOD, 'I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn, turn from your evil ways! For why should you die, O house of Israel?'

Yes God created hell, but he has no delight in sending people there. He wants them redeemed. But the fact is that a) God laid down the plan and its boundaries for salvation before the creation of the world. But man turned out to be exceedingly wicked. That is why many out step God's grace.

Gen 6:5-7 Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. So the LORD said, "I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them."

God giving the land that belonged to others to Israel, commanding that they destroy all the fighting men, sometimes even everyone, take their treasures, sometimes burn entire cities.

In the context of that happening these cities worshiped gods that even required child sacrifices in fire. God was ridding the world of evil, not just wrath for the sake of it.

God bringing famine.

With the purpose of trying to turn people from sin.

Amo 4:8 So two or three cities wandered to another city to drink water, But they were not satisfied; Yet you have not returned to Me," Says the LORD.

Amo 4:9 "I blasted you with blight and mildew. When your gardens increased, Your vineyards, Your fig trees, And your olive trees, The locust devoured them; Yet you have not returned to Me," Says the LORD.

Demanding animal sacrifice.

As a picture of the coming Christ.

God choosing Israel alone in the OT to covenant with and be their God.

What about Naaman, Rahab, and Ruth. All gentiles who received salvation.

Jacob over Esau.

God can choose how He fulfills His purposes. Jacob was a prophetic picture of the fact that God would choose the Gentiles to be joint heirs with the Jews. The older shall serve the younger.

Sending His own Son the the cross.

John 10:18 No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father."

Eze 33:11 Say to them: 'As I live,' says the Lord GOD, 'I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn, turn from your evil ways! For why should you die, O house of Israel?'

Yes God created hell, but he has no delight in sending people there. He wants them redeemed. But the fact is that a) God laid down the plan and its boundaries for salvation before the creation of the world. But man turned out to be exceedingly wicked. That is why many out step God's grace.

Gen 6:5-7 Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. So the LORD said, "I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them."

In the context of that happening these cities worshiped gods that even required child sacrifices in fire. God was ridding the world of evil, not just wrath for the sake of it.

Amo 4:8 So two or three cities wandered to another city to drink water, But they were not satisfied; Yet you have not returned to Me," Says the LORD.

Amo 4:9 "I blasted you with blight and mildew. When your gardens increased, Your vineyards, Your fig trees, And your olive trees, The locust devoured them; Yet you have not returned to Me," Says the LORD.

God can choose how He fulfills His purposes. Jacob was a prophetic picture of the fact that God would choose the Gentiles to be joint heirs with the Jews. The older shall serve the younger.

John 10:18 No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father."
I will address these things one by one, but first, I did not ask you about them because I wanted you to tell me what they mean. It was in connection with your belief and statement that the doctrine of predestination presents a gospel of a God who likes to watch people suffer just because He is angry, and that freewill presents a gospel of a God of goodwill as you put it who desires all to be saved (but who evidently is powerless to bring this about.t) The purpose of my bringing those things up and asking you how you reconcile God as we see Him in them to the God who would be unfair and cruel according to free will, if He only saved some and not all. So you did not answer my question but simply separated the OT from the NT and told me the meaning and reason for those things then. As though that God has nothing to do with the NT God. You did not reconcile (which is what I asked you to do)God as free will presents Him with how you say predestination presents Him, with what we see in the OT actions of God.

Keeping in mind that this is the response to the actions of God I gave and asked your to reconcile to the following statement that you made.
Which God would people, to whom we witness, prefer to serve? One who gives people an equal chance of salvation, as Irenaeus tells, He gives HIs goodwill to all. Hell then is the logical result of rebellion against His goodwill. Or a God who actually loves to cause people to suffer, for no other reason than He is angry, giving a portion no hope for no reason other than He wills it.
Not only do you make no attempt to reconcile the evidence of scripture to your assertions above, but you make the assertion that God created hell because He was somehow surprised by the wickedness of man. If man simply "turned out to be exceedingly wicked" then there was no reason for God to have a plan of redemption and its "boundaries". And your response also suggests that because of man's wickedness He then at that time created hell. And you also say the plan of redemption has boundaries without ever saying what those boundaries are.

Because of the the topic of the OP and assertion that Paul is misunderstood by those who adhere to the doctrine of election and predestination, you then quote here two scriptures that you believe support your premise. They do not. They simply avoid the evidence of both scripture and real life, that more are those that go through the wide gate than are those who find the narrow gate----not all people are redeemed---by saying God either has no power to redeem all or won't, based on whether or not people accept His grace and good will. Both of those assumptions deny the God of the Bible as He reveals Himself to be sovereign, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent.

It also puts the hands of applied redemption---the work of Christ on the cross---in the hands of sinners who are by their very nature at enmity with God (consider Him their enemy, and are in fact His enemies.)
The response to God giving land that belonged to others to Israel. Again, not reconciling your original statement with who the Bible says God is and what He does. The only one who claimed that God did anything simply because of His wrath for the sake of wrath is you. It is a false depiction of the doctrine of election now and it was when you first made it.

Regarding God bringing famine. You simply gave two examples of only one reason God brought famine to various places and at various times.
In the story of Joseph it was preceding a rescue that preserved the Seed of Abraham through Judah. It first drove Joseph's father and brothers to Egypt where they were held in bondage of over 400 years.

But that aside how does what you say reconcile the God as we see in this to your purporting that God has good will towards all people? And what does it have to do with the idea that God would never save some people by election but not all people?
Regarding God commanding animal sacrifice.
I did not ask you what the animal sacrifices pictured. I asked how it can be reconciled to your statement that God has only good will towards all men equally.
Re: God choosing Israel alone to covenant with and be their God.
I asked how His doing so can be reconciled to your asserting that God is not selective and chooses who to adopt and save? What do I get? Not even a pretense of reconciling the two things. Just an "Oh look. See these people were Gentiles." Apropo of nothing.

BTW all the above were saved by what? Faith in God. They trusted Him. Ruth was the Seed carrier who had a son by the Seed bearer.
Re: Jacob over Esau
So why is it wonderful for God to do the choosing of people here and abhorrent if it is suggested He chooses who to save?
Re: sending HIs Son to the cross.
Again you made absolutely no attempt to reconcile the the wrath of God on sin poured out on His Son with your gospel of goodwill towards all, and the assertion that hell is the result of people stepping outside of this grace that is goodwill. You present the universal goodwill of God as the reason God would never choose who to adopt, and leave the rest in their natural condition, as that would be unfair and mean for no reason. And yet you have not been able to reconcile this assumption with who God has shown Himself to be.

So, you are going to show, what you think are good reasons, to believe man should have a little glory in salvation, and all the glory should not go to God? Okay,. šŸ˜ž
Hereā€™s the question: why does manā€™s actions necessarily mean that God doesnā€™t get all the glory, or that man can take credit?

Doug

Theology is the chicken, doctrine is the egg. They are not the same.

Doug
I didn't say they were the same. Why the nit picking?

I didn't say they were the same. Why the nit picking?
You said ā€œā€¦theology (doctrine of GOD)ā€, which sounds a lot like you are identical.
This said, Iā€™m sorry, perhaps I was being a little nitpicking. šŸ˜‡

Hereā€™s the question: why does manā€™s actions necessarily mean that God doesnā€™t get all the glory, or that man can take credit?

Doug
That depends...

What do man's actions, allegedly, accomplish?

Are some of those actions, allegedly, the deciding factors in salvation

Are those actions caused by God?

Doug
Are you going to explain what scripture means as the author of the op is doing?

Not only do you make no attempt to reconcile the evidence of scripture to your assertions above, but you make the assertion that God created hell because He was somehow surprised by the wickedness of man. If man simply "turned out to be exceedingly wicked" then there was no reason for God to have a plan of redemption and its "boundaries". And your response also suggests that because of man's wickedness He then at that time created hell. And you also say the plan of redemption has boundaries without ever saying what those boundaries are.

Just to clarify, I did not say God created hell due to the wickedness of man. I meant:

a) God determined before creation the boundaries that would make one fit for heaven, and make one fit for hell. He created hell at/or before creation. It creation being for i) the purpose of deterring sin, ii) the punishment of sin
b) God created man with free agency but bound him to the rules created before the creation
c) God was surprised at how wicked man choose to be, it surprised Him, so he wished He had never created man. But God is unable/or unwilling to change what He had decreed, regarding salvation. So many will perish.

Are you going to explain what scripture means as the author of the op is doing?
Iā€™m trying to understand your argument in response to the OP. It is a standard argument from those who are Calvinist, and I donā€™t understand why you make that argument. I have never said, felt, or thought that I deserve any glory, nor that my actions, in themselves, are the effectual cause of my salvation; and no Arminian I know of has ever said that!

My believing what God has made known to me is by Godā€™s command and is only in any sense effectual is because God establishes it as the contingency for him to act. It was his choice of protocol, not my power to cause him to act. I have nothing to brag about, nothing to say look what Iā€™ve done, because nothing I could ever do can make God subject to my response. God made himself subject to wait until belief was established. It is his protocol not mine. I never deserve anything good from God! All I have is gracious, undeserved and humbling to my spirit.

To suggest that I am claiming glory for my own has no basis in fact, and is merely gaslighting Arminians for the sake of argument in my humble opinion. It is not a scriptural argument, but a philosophical construct to hype an argument.

Doug

Iā€™m trying to understand your argument in response to the OP. It is a standard argument from those who are Calvinist, and I donā€™t understand why you make that argument. I have never said, felt, or thought that I deserve any glory, nor that my actions, in themselves, are the effectual cause of my salvation; and no Arminian I know of has ever said that!

My believing what God has made known to me is by Godā€™s command and is only in any sense effectual is because God establishes it as the contingency for him to act. It was his choice of protocol, not my power to cause him to act. I have nothing to brag about, nothing to say look what Iā€™ve done, because nothing I could ever do can make God subject to my response. God made himself subject to wait until belief was established. It is his protocol not mine. I never deserve anything good from God! All I have is gracious, undeserved and humbling to my spirit.

To suggest that I am claiming glory for my own has no basis in fact, and is merely gaslighting Arminians for the sake of argument in my humble opinion. It is not a scriptural argument, but a philosophical construct to hype an argument.

Doug
Who is the deciding factor in the salvation of an individual (e.g. two people hear the same gospel message, one repents and believes, the other does not - who makes them to differ, God, or themselves)?

Your answer will determine the honesty, or otherwise, of your post; since, if you claim that the person himself makes the difference (e.g. by using his alleged free(d) will to repent and believe), then that person, by definition, would deserve some glory in his own salvation.

Who is the deciding factor in the salvation of an individual (e.g. two people hear the same gospel message, one repents and believes, the other does not - who makes them to differ, God, or themselves)?

Your answer will determine the honesty, or otherwise, of your post; since, if you claim that the person himself makes the difference (e.g. by using his alleged free(d) will to repent and believe), then that person, by definition, would deserve some glory in his own salvation.

David, weā€™ve been down this rabbit trail before. The question isnā€™t about the deciding factor, for that can only be God.
It is God who decided that he will save whoever believes. He is not obligated by our choice, but by his own promise. ā€œHe who promised is faithfulā€ (Heb 10:23) He doesnā€™t act on my demand, but on his own.

God sets the protocol and obligates himself by that decision alone. It is not my decision, but his that makes the difference.
He decided that he will save all who believe. That is his promise! It is not my demand on him, it is his demand on himself!

Doug

Back