• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Is repentance needed for salvation?

Yes. O blessed power and grace of God!
How is it when I was 7-8-9-10-11-12 I was raised by people who drink and cuss with the best of them. I never saw a bible in anyone house of kin. And was spanked anytime I was heard using a cuss word that I heard daily by adults and told do not use Gods name in vain or you will go to hell when you die. So I did not know anything about God except do not use his name in vain and he can send me to hell and I believed in him he could do that. Is that believing in God?

How is it when I was 7-8-9-10-11-12 I was raised by people who drink and cuss with the best of them. I never saw a bible in anyone house of kin. And was spanked anytime I was heard using a cuss word that I heard daily by adults and told do not use Gods name in vain or you will go to hell when you die. So I did not know anything about God except do not use his name in vain and he can send me to hell and I believed in him he could do that.
Is that believing in God?
In salvation, the turning point is not believing that God exists. Even the demons do that.
Likewise, the turning point is not belief in God and obedience to his laws. Orthodox Jews believe in God and obey his laws, but are not saved.
The turning point in salvation is belief in and trust on the person and atoning work of Jesus Christ (Ro 3:25) for the remission of your sin and right standing with God (forgiven), which faith results in turning from sin and obedience to God's word.

Last edited:
Repentance is a "turning". . .from sin, as the fruit of salvation.
I can agree with that, its the fruit of the regenerating saving work of the Spirit. Thats His Part in the saving of a sinner. God the Father chose the sinners to be saved, the Son redeemed them, and the Spirit applies Salvation Spiritually

How is it when I was 7-8-9-10-11-12 I was raised by people who drink and cuss with the best of them. I never saw a bible in anyone house of kin. And was spanked anytime I was heard using a cuss word that I heard daily by adults and told do not use Gods name in vain or you will go to hell when you die. So I did not know anything about God except do not use his name in vain and he can send me to hell and I believed in him he could do that. Is that believing in God?
"With man it is impossible but with God, all things are possible." (Matt 19:26) To be honest, I do not know what you are saying or what you are asking. I do not understand "So I did not know anything about God except do not use his name in vain and he can send me to hell and I believed in him he could do that."

What the adults around you did is irrelevant and does not change who God is or what He is doing one iota. The faith that saves comes from God by His grace. That faith is believing to some degree or other, we all start as babies, in who Jesus is and what He did, to forgive a person of their sins and reconcile them to God.

Its not necessary as a condition to get saved, or to be Justified before God, Christs death/blood alone does that, but repentance is necessary for a conversion unto God
Repentance isn't necessary for conversion either. Conversion is a work of God. Man is passive in conversion and conversion is a fruit of salvation.
Salvation [and all its parts] is of the LORD (Jonah 2:9.)

Repentance isn't necessary for conversion either. Conversion is a work of God. Man is passive in conversion and conversion is a fruit of salvation.
Yes it is necessary for conversion, and yes it is the work of God.

Man is passive in conversion and conversion is a fruit of salvation.

Man is active in conversion, that is the regenerate man, he is active even though hes being acted upon by God. Its like when Paul said Phil 2:12-13

12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
To say the renewed man isnt active in conversion lacks understanding. God causes him to be active Ezk 36:27
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Last edited:
Salvation is remission of sin and reconciliation to God by faith in the person and atoning work of Jesus Christ (Ro 3:25).
Faith is conversion, which faith comes in the new birth before salvation, rather than being the fruit of salvation.

Some people claim that repentance has no place in salvation, that you can believe in Jesus as “Savior” but never repent of your sin. That you can be saved even if you continue in chained to sin and iniquity just as it was before you became a Christian, that no change is needed. So what does Christ say:

Matthew 4:17 King James Version (KJV)
17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mark 1:15
And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Matthew 9:13
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Mark 2:17
When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Luke 5:32 King James Version (KJV)
32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Jesus even repeated it for emphasis in describing to the people:
Luke 13:1-6 King James Version (KJV)
1 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?
3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Jesus told his disciples to proclaim “repentance and remission of sins” in his name to all the nations (Luke 24:47).
When the apostles preached in Acts, they called people to repent of their sins in order to be forgiven:

Acts 2:38 King James Version (KJV)
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 3:19 King James Version (KJV)
19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Acts 5:30-31 King James Version (KJV)
30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.
31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Scripture is clear, repentance is absolutely necessary in order to be saved. Only those truly repent and turn to Christ and His righteousness in their lives, and away from their sin, will be saved on the last day.
Repentance is a divine act in us by the power of God. Without Christ, we can do nothing. We repent because God opens our eyes to see our own nakedness. Without God, our repentance needs repenting of.

Yes it is necessary for conversion, and yes it is the work of God.
Man is active in conversion, that is the regenerate man, he is active even though hes being acted upon by God. Its like when Paul said Phil 2:12-13

12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
To say the renewed man isnt active in conversion lacks understanding. God causes him to be active Ezk 36:27
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.
Saul is writing to Jewish Christians already saved.
Saints are referral to Israel. But despite that he is still writing to born-again Jewish Christians so take his words in context to this truth. He's not writing to Gentiles.

PAUL and Timotheus, the servants of Jesus Christ, to all the saints in Christ Jesus which are at Philippi,
Php 1:1.

Salvation is remission of sin and reconciliation to God by faith in the person and atoning work of Jesus Christ (Ro 3:25).
Faith is conversion, which faith comes in the new birth before salvation, rather than being the fruit of salvation.
Faith IS salvation. Conversion IS salvation. Repentance IS salvation. And more. All of these come with the Holy Spirit when He births a believer. He is Life and the light of men. What was dead in trespasses and sins comes alive (illuminates, animates, lives) the moment He "says" (or said), "Eleanor, Come Forth!"

But you're not wearing graveclothes and no napkin around your head. No one needs to "loose" you as you've already been loosed from the BONDAGE of sin to walk in the newness of life.

Writing to Jewish Christians who among other things were concerned of their standing in the Abrahamic Covenant by being born-again Christians and followers of Messiah Jesus, Saul writes this and concludes with 3:28-29 (which many have misunderstood and use to place themselves in the Abrahamic Covenant when there are NO GENTILES in the Abrahamic Covenant God made with Abram the Hebrew Gen. 14:13), so take heed.

23 But before faith came, we [Jews] were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
24 Wherefore the law was our [Jews] schoolmaster to bring us [Jews] unto Christ, that we [Jews] might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we [Jews] are no longer under a schoolmaster [the Law].
26 For ye [Jews] are all [Jews] the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you [Jews] as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. Gal. 3:23–27.

The Faith that appeared is the Holy Spirit. He is the everything in and of salvation as salvation is of the LORD (Jonah 2:9.)

Faith IS salvation. Conversion IS salvation. Repentance IS salvation.
Salvation is from the wrath of God (Ro 5:9) by reconciliation to him in the remittance of one's sin through faith (conversion) alone (Eph 2:8-9).

Repentance is the fruit of salvation, not salvation itself.

Saul is writing to Jewish Christians already saved.
Saints are referral to Israel. But despite that he is still writing to born-again Jewish Christians so take his words in context to this truth. He's not writing to Gentiles.

PAUL and Timotheus, the servants of Jesus Christ, to all the saints in Christ Jesus which are at Philippi,
Php 1:1.
Here you go with race salvation, totally abandoning grace.

Some people claim that repentance has no place in salvation, that you can believe in Jesus as “Savior” but never repent of your sin. That you can be saved even if you continue in chained to sin and iniquity just as it was before you became a Christian, that no change is needed. So what does Christ say:

Matthew 4:17 King James Version (KJV)
17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mark 1:15
And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Matthew 9:13
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Mark 2:17
When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
an
Luke 5:32 King James Version (KJV)
32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Jesus even repeated it for emphasis in describing to the people:
Luke 13:1-6 King James Version (KJV)
1 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?
3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Jesus told his disciples to proclaim “repentance and remission of sins” in his name to all the nations (Luke 24:47).
When the apostles preached in Acts, they called people to repent of their sins in order to be forgiven:

Acts 2:38 King James Version (KJV)
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 3:19 King James Version (KJV)
19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Acts 5:30-31 King James Version (KJV)
30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.
31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Scripture is clear, repentance is absolutely necessary in order to be saved. Only those truly repent and turn to Christ and His righteousness in their lives, and away from their sin, will be saved on the last day.
Our salvation is from sin (Matthew 1:21) and sin is the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), so while we do not earn our salvation as a wage as the result of having first obeyed God's law, living in obedience to it through faith in Jesus is nevertheless intrinsically part of the gift of him saving us from not living in obedience to it. Repentance is turning away from not living in obedience to God's law towards living in obedience to it, so repentance is not needed for salvation in the sense that it is something that we are required to have done first in order to result in our salvation, but rather repentance is need for salvation in the sense that it is intrinsically part of what the gift of salvation is.

Our salvation is from sin (Matthew 1:21) and sin is the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), so while we do not earn our salvation as a wage as the result of having first obeyed God's law, living in obedience to it through faith in Jesus is nevertheless intrinsically part of the gift of him saving us from not living in obedience to it. Repentance is turning away from not living in obedience to God's law towards living in obedience to it, so repentance is not needed for salvation in the sense that it is something that we are required to have done first in order to result in our salvation, but rather repentance is need for salvation in the sense that it is intrinsically part of what the gift of salvation is.
Faith and Repentance are only required as they are evidences that they accompany Salvation, and they are not one time inital acts. Gods redeemed people will live a life of Faith, for the Just shall live by Faith. But as it has been stated, neither faith or repentance are required as conditions to get saved, things we must do in order to get God to save us, thats works salvation and its apostacy from the Truth.

Faith and Repentance are only required as they are evidences that they accompany Salvation, and they are not one time inital acts. Gods redeemed people will live a life of Faith, for the Just shall live by Faith. But as it has been stated, neither faith or repentance are required as conditions to get saved, things we must do in order to get God to save us, thats works salvation and its apostacy from the Truth.
I showed that repentance is intrinsically part of what the gift of salvation is, not something that accompanies it. Salvation is not a one time initial act, but rather Titus 2:11-13 describes our salvation as being trained by grace to do works, so while we are saved by faith apart from being required to have first done those works, having the experience of doing those works is intrinsically part of our salvation from having the experience of not doing them, so we can't be saved from not doing them while refusing to participate in doing them. While there are many verses that speak against earning our salvation as the result of our works, which is works salvation, there are also many verses like Romans 2:13 and Hebrews 5:9 that show that our salvation nevertheless still requires us to choose do works through faith, which is salvation through faith. When someone chooses to obey God's law, then the significance is not that it is part of something that they are required to have done first in order to earn their salvation as the result, but that they are expressing faith, and it is by that faith that we are saved.

A gift can be the experience of doing something, such as giving someone the opportunity to experience driving a Ferrari for an hour, where the gift requires them to do the work of driving it in order to have that experience, but where doing that work has nothing to do with earring the opportunity to drive it as the result. Likewise, the content of God's gift of eternal life is the experience of knowing God and Jesus (John 17:3) and God's law is His instructions for how to have that experience (Exodus 33:13, Matthew 7:13), not what we are requires to do first in order to earn eternal life as the result. Likewise, having the experience of living in obedience to God's law is intrinsically part of our salvation from not having the experience of living in obedience to it.

Salvation is from the wrath of God (Ro 5:9) by reconciliation to him in the remittance of one's sin through faith (conversion) alone (Eph 2:8-9).

Salvation is of the LORD (Jonah 2:9.)
Complete. It includes faith, repentance, conversion, fruit, gifts, and everything that accompanies salvation of the LORD.
The Holy Spirit is all those things. He is everything with regard to salvation. It cannot be divided or bifurcated or separated for in Eternity He is all those things. In Him was life and the life was the light of men.
Men are dead in trespasses and sins. Like Lazarus he could not exhibit faith, repent, or anything else as a dead man. Completely passive until the command "Lazarus, Come Forth!"
He was dead before Christ as we are all dead before God until the Holy Spirit invades, immerses, occupies our lives by touching us and quickens us. In that quickening He brings everything which accompanies salvation.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. Jn 1:3–5.

Including the new man created by Him:

24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
Eph 4:24.

17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature [Gr. "creation"]: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 2 Cor. 5:16–17.

From death to life. From nothing to everything.
Nothing to the cross I bring, surely to the cross I cling.
'Nuff said.

Here you go with race salvation, totally abandoning grace.
God is VERY ethnic. God chose a family in which to reveal Himself and His salvation.
Over all the families of earth He chose Eber, Noah, Shem, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Reuben, Simeon, Judah, etc., and the covenant of Abraham contained natural and spiritual blessings to him and His seed.
Gentiles do not come from the loins of Abraham. God made NO COVENANT with Gentiles nor any seed of Gentiles.
The Church Christ built was founded with the salvation of 3000 Jews and Christ added to His Church daily such as should be saved (Acts 2:47.) Taking 3000 in one day as a median number by weeks end 21,000 Jews would be born again and for the next four decades until the destruction of the Jewish Temple everything that happened in Israel was the result of Covenant promises God made with the HOUSE OF ISRAEL. When Christ returns, He comes to fight alongside Israel against ALL NATIONS - Gentile Christians included - who fight against Israel for His name's sake.
At the Marriage Supper Israel the Bride and Church of God is there by Covenant.
Gentiles are there by invitation (Matt. 22.)
Isn't that wonderful!
Can I get a Praise God and Amen!

Salvation is of the LORD (Jonah 2:9.)
We're in the NT now where salvation has a specific meaning; i.e., saved from the wrath of God on one's sin (Ro 5:9) by faith in and trust on the atoning work of Jesus Christ (Eph 2:8-9) for the remission of that sin and right standing (not guilty, reconciled) with God (Eph 2:16).

Repentance is the work of God embowering us to return to our first love and do the first works strengthened by God believe God as he works in us to both wil and do it to his good pleasure or power .. Hebrews 6 informs us it is one of the neter things that accompanies salvation God will not forget the good works we can perform according to the power of his will .We pray give us this daily the food the disciples knew not at first as Jesus replied food to hear and finish the work of the father I call it our daily manna /

Philippians 2;13-14 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. Do all things without murmurings and disputings:

Hebrews 6:8-10 But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.

Repentance is the work of God embowering us to return to our first love
However, in terms of salvation, there was no "first love" of God prior to salvation to return to.
We were dead in trespasses and sins (Eph 2:1), enemies of God (Ro 5:10).

Back