• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Gen 6...who are the sons of God?

Genesis 6: 2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3 Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.”

4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

Verse 2 doesn't say what the sons of God were, but verse 3 would seem to imply that they are human, since that is whom the Lord said his Spirit would not contend with forever.

Verse 4 presents as a separate question, related only in coincidental era. These heroes of old, men of renown, were apparently on the earth both before and after the sons of God married the daughters of men. The inference is easy to make, but I don't see that context implies causation, here —That is, the daughters of men giving birth to the children of the "sons of God" may have no relevance to the Nephilim.
Deu 2:9 - “Then the LORD said to me, ‘Do not harass Moab, nor contend with them in battle, for I will not give you any of their land as a possession, because I have given Ar to the descendants of Lot as a possession.’ ”
Unchecked Copy Box
Deu 2:10 - (The Emim had dwelt there in times past, a people as great and numerous and tall as the Anakim.
Unchecked Copy Box
Deu 2:11 - They were also regarded as giants,[fn] like the Anakim, but the Moabites call them Emim.
Unchecked Copy Box
Deu 2:12 - The Horites formerly dwelt in Seir, but the descendants of Esau dispossessed them and destroyed them from before them, and dwelt in their place, just as Israel did to the land of their possession which the LORD gave them.).

This says that the people called Emim had dwelt in the land called Ar. The Emim were a people. And great and numerous and tall as the Anakim. The Anikim would be another people.

Genesis 6: 2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3 Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.”

4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

Verse 2 doesn't say what the sons of God were, but verse 3 would seem to imply that they are human, since that is whom the Lord said his Spirit would not contend with forever.

Verse 4 presents as a separate question, related only in coincidental era. These heroes of old, men of renown, were apparently on the earth both before and after the sons of God married the daughters of men. The inference is easy to make, but I don't see that context implies causation, here —That is, the daughters of men giving birth to the children of the "sons of God" may have no relevance to the Nephilim.
With all due respect...you didn't really address my question.

If Seths people took the daughters of men...why would they produce Nephilim also known as giants? How does that genetics work?

If Seths people took the daughters of men...why would they produce Nephilim also known as giants? How does that genetics work?

They used to lift at the gym and took steroids? Or...

Maybe? The daughters of men were munchkins, and the ones born to them, were relatively speaking, to them, giants?

And!!!! Why did Seth's people have only ugly women?

They used to lift at the gym and took steroids? Or...

Maybe? The daughters of men were munchkins, and the ones born to them, were relatively speaking, to them, giants?

And!!!! Why did Seth's people have only ugly women?
One of Cain’s descendants was Jubal, he was the father of all those who play the harp and flute.
They formed the first rock band.
Another descendant was Tubal-Cain, an instructor of every craftsman in bronze and iron.
They probably made some pretty cool stuff.
Another was Jabal. He was the father of those who dwell in tents and have livestock.
Wow! They have tents and meat!

What says it of the children of Seth. What did they do? Nothing.
Not until Noah. And it’s said of him,”he called his name Noah, saying, “This one will comfort us concerning our work and the toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD has cursed.”

The children of Seth were uncomfortable from the work and toil of their hands because the ground was cursed.
Seth’s children worked hard at farming.

It’s no wonder they were attracted to the daughters of Cain.

makesends said:

Verse 4 presents as a separate question, related only in coincidental (concurrent) era. These heroes of old, men of renown, were apparently on the earth both before and after the sons of God married the daughters of men. The inference is easy to make, but I don't see that context implies causation, here —That is, the daughters of men giving birth to the children of the "sons of God" may have no relevance to the Nephilim.

I did address it. But to be more specific for you, the fact that the daughters of men produced children to the sons of God, appears to me to be presented here in the language as a separate issue altogether, from the fact that there were giants (before and after). It doesn't even say if the Nephilim were the heroes of renown, or if the offspring of this unequal union were the heroes. It only says that "these" were the heroes, without saying who the word, "heroes", refers to. It doesn't say that the offspring were the Nephilim. It appears most likely by the language, that the Nephilim were the men of renown, but that they were around even before the unequal marriages and certainly after.

Again, it doesn't say that the children resulting of the union of the "sons of God" —whoever they are— and the "daughters of men" produced the Nephilim.

They were driven out of the garden of Eden. It seems the garden was planted in Eden.
I get the impression that one can be a son of God in Eden but cannot pass into the garden until receiving eternal life where the tree of life is planted.
Are you treating Gen. 1-3 as allegorical? If so, I need to point out that it's written in straightforward narrative style and was meant to be taken literally. If not, then Eden does not exist anymore, the old world having been destroyed by a global flood.

Job tells us who they are. So does Enoch.

How do you know what an angel is made of?

We were made a little lower than the angels.
You are assuming that my point was about what angels are made of - it wasn't. My point was that created beings (plant or animal) only reproduce after their own kind, as Gen. 1 states. This means that there cannot be a hybrid race of human and anything else.

Are you treating Gen. 1-3 as allegorical? If so, I need to point out that it's written in straightforward narrative style and was meant to be taken literally. If not, then Eden does not exist anymore, the old world having been destroyed by a global flood.
Last week I heard someone say Eden was taken to heaven...and will return as the New Jerusalem. One reason is it contains the tree of life mentioned to have been in the garden. The jury is still out on this one.

Last week I heard someone say Eden was taken to heaven...and will return as the New Jerusalem. One reason is it contains the tree of life mentioned to have been in the garden. The jury is still out on this one.
Whoever it was who said that Eden was taken to heaven, is making things up... The Bible says no such thing.

As Christians, we need to go by what the Bible says, not fanciful speculations or uninspired books (e.g. Enoch).

Whoever it was who said that Eden was taken to heaven, is making things up... The Bible says no such thing.
As I said...the jury is still out. Does this mean there are two tree's of life? One in New Jerusalem and the other on earth that was later destroyed in the flood?
As Christians, we need to go by what the Bible says, not fanciful speculations or uninspired books (e.g. Enoch).
The book of Enoch has much credibility.

One of Cain’s descendants was Jubal, he was the father of all those who play the harp and flute.
They formed the first rock band.
Another descendant was Tubal-Cain, an instructor of every craftsman in bronze and iron.
They probably made some pretty cool stuff.
Another was Jabal. He was the father of those who dwell in tents and have livestock.
Wow! They have tents and meat!

What says it of the children of Seth. What did they do? Nothing.
Not until Noah. And it’s said of him,”he called his name Noah, saying, “This one will comfort us concerning our work and the toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD has cursed.”

The children of Seth were uncomfortable from the work and toil of their hands because the ground was cursed.
Seth’s children worked hard at farming.

It’s no wonder they were attracted to the daughters of Cain.

If they were truly sons of God?
Why then were they placed at the bottom?

Come on!

Only angels were called sons of God in the OT.

When Satan in the book of Job appeared before the Lord?
He did so with children of Seth?
Makes me ashamed to say I am a Christian sometimes.

Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves
before the Lord, and Satan also came among them." Job 1:6

Play that game all you want. It does not make you look smart, but only clever.

Job 1:6 plainly states that Satan appeared with the sons of God. Not, Seth's family.

Arguments like these make some intelligent unbelievers that I may witness to, feel justified in their rejection of Christianity.
For it does not glorify the Lord. Its only a self glory of those who think how clever they are in finding ways to avoid what they can not yet handle mentally with truth.

Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God?
Or am I trying to please people?
If I were still trying to please people,
I would not be a servant of Christ."

Galatians 1:10

Come on!

Job 1:6 plainly states that Satan appeared with the sons of God. Not, Seth's family.

Arguments like these make some intelligent unbelievers that I may witness to, feel justified in their rejection of Christianity.
For it does not glorify the Lord. Its only a self glory of those who think how clever they are in finding ways to avoid what they can not yet handle mentally with truth.

Instead of a "like" icon we can click on I wish they had an "I agree" icon.

The only reason whoever wrote the Book of Enoch had that idea included, was because the OT believers had no problem
with understanding what "sons of God" meant 'angels' to them.

Humans were not to be called "sons of God" until we became a New Creation in Christ.

Angels who materialized could have easily interacted with human women.

Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing
some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it."

Hebrews 13:2

Come on!

It’s thought that presenting themselves before the Lord means you have to be in heaven.
Cain was removed from the presence of the Lord. I don’t suppose Cain had been in heaven. Just as anyone else who presented themselves before the Lord was not done in heaven.
When the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, the adversary came among them.
Like the chaff gathering among the wheat.

It’s thought that presenting themselves before the Lord means you have to be in heaven.
Cain was removed from the presence of the Lord. I don’t suppose Cain had been in heaven. Just as anyone else who presented themselves before the Lord was not done in heaven.
When the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, the adversary came among them.
Like the chaff gathering among the wheat.

It was in heaven!
That's the point!
Son's of Seth could not apply!

Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say:
“Now have come the salvation and the power
and the kingdom of our God,
and the authority of his Messiah.
For the accuser of our brothers and sisters,
who accuses them before our God day and night,
has been hurled down." Revelation 12:10

Satan at present is allowed into heaven, either day and night, to accuse believers before the Lord that he is after to impugn.

It was in heaven!
That's the point!
Son's of Seth could not apply!

Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say:
“Now have come the salvation and the power
and the kingdom of our God,
and the authority of his Messiah.
For the accuser of our brothers and sisters,
who accuses them before our God day and night,
has been hurled down." Revelation 12:10

Satan at present is allowed into heaven, either day and night, to accuse believers before the Lord that he is after to impugn.
The sons of God would have most likely have come to present themselves before the Angel of the Lord. The same Angel Moses had presented himself before.
The adversary had come among the sons from wandering to a fro on the earth.
They were like those of the land of Nod where Cain was sent. Called Wanderers..
Wandering their way out of the way.

Does "sons of God" always refer to angels?
Until the Church age began? .... yes!

Its only after the Church age began, having the new creation in Christ was unveiled, that we see believers first being granted the privilege to be called children of God.

But to as many as did receive and welcome Him, He gave the right [the authority, the privilege]
to become children of God, that is, to those who believe in (adhere to, trust in, and rely on) His
name - who were born, not of blood [natural conception], nor of the will of the flesh [physical
impulse], nor of the will of man [that of a natural father], but of God [that is, a divine and
supernatural birth—they are born of God—spiritually transformed, renewed, sanctified]. John 1:12-13 Amplified bible.​

Back