• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Does the apostolic church require…

No cos the apostles are “outside” of scripture, must be if they wrote it

The apostles did not need the New Testament to know the truth?

And therefore “scripture is not the only authority”!
So much for “sola scriptura”!

Amen?
What Jesus taught the apostles, we now have in written form; it's called the "New Testament". Until it was written down, it was taught by word of mouth only, but it's the same teaching.

No traditions are legit unless backed by scripture
What are traditions? Plural

Customs, habits etc no.

Tradition! (Singular)

Teaching authority; that which is “handed down” from Christ to the apostles in the spirit and taught to us!

That’s Tradition!

Oh get real.
Examples:

Matt 28:19
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

“Teach”

Acts 8:35
Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

“Preached”

Acts 16:17
The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation.

“Show the way”

None are “scripture alone!

Apostles = truth!

Acts 2:42
And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine…

1 John 4:6
We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Not “scripture alone”!

What Jesus taught the apostles, we now have in written form; it's called the "New Testament". Until it was written down, it was taught by word of mouth only, but it's the same teaching.
Where does scripture say so?
Where does it say all the apostles wrote scripture?
Where does it say all that Christ taught is in scripture? (It says the opposite)
Then you must agree “sacred scripture” is not the only authority!

Thks

Matt 28:19
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

“Teach”

Acts 8:35
Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

“Preached”

Acts 16:17
The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation.

“Show the way”

None are “scripture alone!
What is your point? No one said the apostles did not teach, preach, or show the way. The fact that they did this and what it was they were teaching, preaching, and the way they were showing, are evidenced in the book of Acts----the historical account of the apostolic church of Christ--- and the epistles. Epistle means letter and they are letters circulated among the churches, teaching and showing the way. They were writing the NT doctrines of Christ's church.

What part of sola scriptura do you not understand when I say it means that the book (the Bible) is finished, and that what is in it is authority unto itself as to the teachings and doctrines of Christ's church. It very specifically says in at least two places that it is not to be added to or taken away from. The RCC does both of those things. They make themselves the authority of what is in Christ's church.

No matter how many splits within Protestant Christianity exist, or how many differing interpretations of passages exist, none say they have authority higher than scripture itself. Not even the Reformation creeds do that. None of the reformers did that. They simply pointed out the areas in the RCC that did do that, the things that were inconsistent with scripture and were only traditions and doctrines of men. They were putting the authority of these things back into the Scripture where it belongs. That is the sola scriptura. It aligned the reformation teachings with Scripture. But it did not dictate it as the RCC does. They made it available, so that people might hear the truth, believe it, and be saved. It is doubtful that at that time anyone was being saved by means of the RCC. The RCC at that time was not even concerned with saving anyone, it was so full of corruption, but only maintaining control of the population through tyranny and empty promises and threats of hell, and in their own political power and wealth.

What is your point? No one said the apostles did not teach, preach, or show the way. The fact that they did this and what it was they were teaching, preaching, and the way they were showing, are evidenced in the book of Acts----the historical account of the apostolic church of Christ--- and the epistles. Epistle means letter and they are letters circulated among the churches, teaching and showing the way. They were writing the NT doctrines of Christ's church.

What part of sola scriptura do you not understand when I say it means that the book (the Bible) is finished, and that what is in it is authority unto itself as to the teachings and doctrines of Christ's church. It very specifically says in at least two places that it is not to be added to or taken away from. The RCC does both of those things. They make themselves the authority of what is in Christ's church.

No matter how many splits within Protestant Christianity exist, or how many differing interpretations of passages exist, none say they have authority higher than scripture itself. Not even the Reformation creeds do that. None of the reformers did that. They simply pointed out the areas in the RCC that did do that, the things that were inconsistent with scripture and were only traditions and doctrines of men. They were putting the authority of these things back into the Scripture where it belongs. That is the sola scriptura. It aligned the reformation teachings with Scripture. But it did not dictate it as the RCC does. They made it available, so that people might hear the truth, believe it, and be saved. It is doubtful that at that time anyone was being saved by means of the RCC. The RCC at that time was not even concerned with saving anyone, it was so full of corruption, but only maintaining control of the population through tyranny and empty promises and threats of hell, and in their own political power and wealth.
You did!

(The scriptures are the authority of Christian teaching FOR US.)

Your words now you add the apostles so must not believe scripture is the only authority?

You did!

(The scriptures are the authority of Christian teaching FOR US.)

Your words now you add the apostles so must not believe scripture is the only authority?
I give up. I do not know if this obtuseness is deliberate for the sake of continuing to post using nothing but strawman responses, or if it is something else. But it shows is whether deliberate or otherwise, is a complete inability or refusal to comprehend anything that is said.

I shake the dust off my sandals.

I give up. I do not know if this obtuseness is deliberate for the sake of continuing to post using nothing but strawman responses, or if it is something else. But it shows is whether deliberate or otherwise, is a complete inability or refusal to comprehend anything that is said.
See Post 25.
I shake the dust off my sandals.
Wise woman ;)

What are traditions? Plural
Sola scriptura. Genesis through Revelation

Others traditons of men . We would need a bigger planet to hold the volumes upon volumes that would exposed all the lies of dying mankind .
Peter our brother in the lord in trouble again

John 21:23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true.And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

Where in the Bible are we lovingly commanded by the Holy Father to seek the approval of a law of father as a higher law than our invisible head our Holy Father Christ ?

Where does scripture say so?
Where does it say all the apostles wrote scripture?
Where does it say all that Christ taught is in scripture? (It says the opposite)
Then you must agree “sacred scripture” is not the only authority!

Thks
Why are you referring to scripture to see where the authority is then

Why are you referring to scripture to see where the authority is then
Sacred scripture is the authoritative inspired word of God!

Sola scriptura: no problem with the scripture part, but with the sola, only, alone which contradicts the teaching and commands of Christ

And rejects the church He established to teach and sanctify all men. Matt 28:19

Back