• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Age of the earth...Young or old?

But the sun was created in Genesis 1:1.
Unless the sun wasn’t part of the heavens?
I'm going to assume that you have misremembered Gen. 1 (because the alternative would be that you are lying).

Gen. 1:1-3 (WEB)
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
2 Now the earth was formless and empty. Darkness was on the surface of the deep. God’s Spirit was hovering over the surface of the waters.
3 God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.

As you can see, there was NO CREATED LIGHT, until verse 3, and even that was not the sun, because that was not created until day 4.

The "heavens" means the places, not the contents of those places (sun, moon, stars, etc.), which were created later in the week.

Gen. 1:14-19 (WEB)
14 God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of sky to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years;
15 and let them be for lights in the expanse of sky to give light on the earth;” and it was so.
16 God made the two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He also made the stars.
17 God set them in the expanse of sky to give light to the earth,
18 and to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness. God saw that it was good.
19 There was evening and there was morning, a fourth day.

I'm going to assume that you have misremembered Gen. 1 (because the alternative would be that you are lying).

2 Now the earth was formless and empty. Darkness was on the surface of the deep. God’s Spirit was hovering over the surface of the waters.

As you can see, there was NO CREATED LIGHT, until verse 3, and even that was not the sun, because that was not created until day 4.

The "heavens" means the places, not the contents of those places (sun, moon, stars, etc.), which were created later in the week.

14 God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of sky to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years;
15 and let them be for lights in the expanse of sky to give light on the earth;” and it was so.
16 God made the two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He also made the stars.
18 and to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness. God saw that it was good.
I’m going to assume you misunderstood me some where because the alternative would be you calling me a liar.

I’m going to assume you misunderstood me some where because the alternative would be you calling me a liar.
Well, I've shown you the truth; so, do you believe or not?

No, Gen 1:14-19 does not
I just quoted it. You are LYING. Stop it! It's wicked.

14 God said, Let there be lights in the expanse of sky to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years;

I see you considering God active in His creation from heavens perspective. You should be considering it from where the Spirit is. Planet earth.

Well, I've shown you the truth; so, do you believe or not?
Brother, you have shown me what you believe to be truth. That’s great, thank you. But there is always that chance that you are not correct.

14 God said, Let there be lights in the expanse of sky to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years;
🙄

I think you are being very rude and proud. As if you know all truth and anyone who disagrees with you is wrong or evil. I’m very disappointed

Gen 1:14-19 tells us God made the sun on day 4.

The bible doesn't say the sun was created on day one.

I disagree.
The Sun is already created through the "stretching out" (Job 9:8; Psalm 104:2; Isaiah 40:22; 44:24; 45:12; 48:13; 51:13; Jeremiah 10:12; 51:15; and Zechariah 12:1). And through this stretching out God has fine-tuned all the laws, constants, and equations of physics for life to exist on earth.

1. The lights from space was already present and shinning but could not pass through the early earth's atmosphere. It would be like standing on the planet Venus and looking up. You would not be able to see any lights from space because of the oblique atmosphere. So when God said, "Let there be light;" he is not creating the sun's light itself since the sun is already there, rather the early earth's atmosphere changes from oblique to translucent atmosphere. And the earth's atmosphere would naturally take an unspecified long period of time to change.

2. It was enough light to separate "light" from "darkness" but when looking up into space you still would not be able to see any moons, stars, and planets. You cannot see visible objects in space from a translucent atmosphere. Now in Genesis 1:14-18, the plant life was already created and need light to grow. The plants were giving off oxygen into the atmosphere. After an unspecified long period of time the atmosphere became transparent to the point that our sun and moon, and the planets and stars was made visible. Not made in the sense of created, but made to appear so that you can mark the seasons, days, and years.

I disagree.
The Sun is already created through the "stretching out" (Job 9:8; Psalm 104:2; Isaiah 40:22; 44:24; 45:12; 48:13; 51:13; Jeremiah 10:12; 51:15; and Zechariah 12:1). And through this stretching out God has fine-tuned all the laws, constants, and equations of physics for life to exist on earth.

1. The lights from space was already present and shinning but could not pass through the early earth's atmosphere. It would be like standing on the planet Venus and looking up. You would not be able to see any lights from space because of the oblique atmosphere. So when God said, "Let there be light;" he is not creating the sun's light itself since the sun is already there, rather the early earth's atmosphere changes from oblique to translucent atmosphere. And the earth's atmosphere would naturally take an unspecified long period of time to change.

2. It was enough light to separate "light" from "darkness" but when looking up into space you still would not be able to see any moons, stars, and planets. You cannot see visible objects in space from a translucent atmosphere. Now in Genesis 1:14-18, the plant life was already created and need light to grow. The plants were giving off oxygen into the atmosphere. After an unspecified long period of time the atmosphere became transparent to the point that our sun and moon, and the planets and stars was made visible. Not made in the sense of created, but made to appear so that you can mark the seasons, days, and years.
1. The lights from space was already present and shinning but could not pass through the early earth's atmosphere......The bible doesn't teach this. This is something added.

1. The lights from space was already present and shinning but could not pass through the early earth's atmosphere......The bible doesn't teach this. This is something added.

Common sense.

Besides, it would be weird to think that God (laying out the foundation of the earth), then suddenly decided to stretch out the heavens on day four. The stretching out occurred before laying foundations, and the sun and earth is part of the stretching of the heavens.

We find the following passage in the book of Revelation...
23 And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb.

Now, I'm not saying this was the light....as the light also might be the light of angels.....but it most certainly does answer the question....How can we have the light of Day in verse 4 when the sun wasn’t created until verse 14
And the YECers complain that I don't take a literalist view of the Genesis account of creation. Who da thunkit?

Common sense.

Besides, it would be weird to think that God (laying out the foundation of the earth), then suddenly decided to stretch out the heavens on day four. The stretching out occurred before laying foundations, and the sun and earth is part of the stretching of the heavens.
It might be weird...but the bible teaches God made the sun on day 4. There is nothing about moving a "cloud" cover.
If God removed the cloud cover....why not say so? But Genesis doesn't say that. This is something you've added.

And the YECers complain that I don't take a literalist view of the Genesis account of creation. Who da thunkit?
Then why do you push evolutionism as the means God created mankind? Why would we not complain when you change scripture?

Gen 1:14-19 tells us God made the sun on day 4.

The bible doesn't say the sun was created on day one.
It doesn't say the sun was created on the fourth day either. The phrase, "let there be", is not a statement of creation, no matter how much you wish it were. And the statement, "God made", is not a statement of creation either.

Then why do you push evolutionism as the means God created mankind? Why would we not complain when you change scripture?
I don't. You have never read that from me.

It might be weird...but the bible teaches God made the sun on day 4. There is nothing about moving a "cloud" cover.
If God removed the cloud cover....why not say so? But Genesis doesn't say that. This is something you've added.

Yep. It's just as weird of the water canopy theory (Genesis 1:6-8a).

Brother, you have shown me what you believe to be truth. That’s great, thank you. But there is always that chance that you are not correct.
I'm quoting Scripture and believing what it says. You are spouting contradictory opinions and disbelieving what the Bible says.

Back