• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

The Gift of faith

You added "she then placed her faith in Christ" and you added it in order for it to mean what you presuppose is the case---to fit your own belief iow. It doesn't say that. It does not even imply it.
How can she place her faith without hearing the gospel?

You added "she then placed her faith in Christ" and you added it in order for it to mean what you presuppose is the case---to fit your own belief iow. It doesn't say that. It does not even imply it.
Yeah right. She was already a believer in God. But God had to open her heart so she could believe.
Yea, I guess all believers God opens their hearts so they can believe.

How many gods do you believe in?
Lydia believed in the God who gave his only begotten Son; the Son whom she believed in through the gospel given by Paul.

Rephrase:
God's word does tell man to believe.
Amen, Yes living spiritual words, living commandments. words dividing between our soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

John 6: 63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

A good example of God protecting the integrity of his living abiding word . He lovingly commands us to study rightly dividing (not adding or subtracting after the oral traditions of dying mankind) Divide or interpret His word so we miraculously can seek His loving approval and not that of dying mankind. Its the living word of God after no man

Why fail to seek his approval by ignoring the commandment ?

2 Timothy 2 2 :15 Study
to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

The living word reveals the false prophets, false apostles (antichrists' false teaching authority) They would seduce us to not obey the loving commandment to study.

1 John 2: 26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Lydia believed in the God who gave his only begotten Son; the Son whom she believed in through the gospel given by Paul.
Yes, she believed in God just like all the other Jews of her time. Though I think she was a Greek, who may have converted to Judaism.

Salvation is the gift received by faith. Faith as a gift to given to all; where one places their faith is the issue.
So it's a matter of degree of faith.... ?

It's a matter of where one places their faith.
Salvation --the gift of God, and not of works-- is by grace through faith. Therefore, the faith through which we are saved, too, is the gift of God. Of course, if the faith is in oneself it is not saving faith! Of course, if it is not in Christ, it is not saving faith! My question is, faith of the usual kind, that everybody has, such as one might say they have that the sun will rise within the next 12 hours, or that the bus driver knows the route --faith that one can decide to place in someone or something-- how can that be purposeful, continuous and unwavering, intelligent and wise, knowing exactly to what it is committing, unassailable, if it is generated by the human, (and particularly, by the human who has the "powerless" "mind of flesh" per Romans 5:6 and Romans 8)?

Faith generated within the human (and so, "ours") by the Spirit of God, is salvific faith, in whatever measure. Therefore it is not a matter of degree of faith, but of kind of faith. This is not the fleeting, silly, ignorant, self-centered, self-important, presumptuous, dependent on emotion, faith we have that is destroyed by the sense that things are not going how we had expected. This faith is by the Spirit that KNOWS God intimately, is directly involved in the object of our faith, is only ever directed towards Christ (and so "whatsoever is not of faith is sin"), and possesses the power of God.

Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Exactly; and so, by God himself. Not by the flesh.

We are talking about the difference between death and life, here. Not about a decision made by the emotions and intellect of a weak, silly, ignorant human.

Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Exactly the faith of Christ, the power of God's labor love comes from hearing Christ not of our own powerless selves.

Mankind has no faith as it is written that could please him. None not little faith. (faithless) The little is for us his little children .

He is the storeroom of power (faith) Giving us both ears to hear and new born again heart to see the hidden things of our glorious God

Job 29:11 When the ear heard me, then it blessed me; and when the eye saw me, it gave witness to me

Job 32:11Behold, I waited for your words; I gave ear to your reasons, whilst ye searched out what to say.

Job 33:16 Then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction,

Salvation is the gift received by faith. Faith as a gift to given to all; where one places their faith is the issue.
When you say faith is given to all...do you mean all believers or all of humanity?

When you say faith is given to all...do you mean all believers or all of humanity?
I would think as many a the Father has given to the son, they alone having been empowered by the Father can move towards God not seen . Not one more or one less.

I would think as many a the Father has given to the son, they alone having been empowered by the Father can move towards God not seen . Not one more or one less.
Concerning salvation...do we move towards God or does God mover towards us?

All men have faith; otherwise, how could they have faith in anything. Faith in Christ comes from hearing the gospel.

Back