• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Scripture is the only authority?

donadams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Scripture is the only authority?

Truth of divine revelation is communicated in many ways!

By the heavens: Ps 19:1
By the Father: Matt 16:17
By Christ in person: Matt 5:2 Mk 1:21-22 Lk 5:3 Jn 3:16
By the Holy Spirit: 1 Tim 4:1
By the call of God: Gen 12:1
By the burning bush: Ex 3:2
By Sacred Scripture: Lk 24:32
By Sacred Tradition: 2 thes 2:15
By the apostles preaching the word:
Acts 8:4 Acts 8:35
By the apostolic churches teaching:
Matt 28:19
By the Angels: Ex 3:2 Matt 1:20
Lk 1:28 Acts 8:26
By dreams: Matt 1:20
By visions: Acts 19:17
By unknown means: Lk 3:2
By preaching of John the Baptist: Lk 3:3-5

Not by “Scripture alone”!

By the spirit not scripture alone!

Ephesians 3:5
Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

1 Timothy 4:1
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

By the speaking of the Spirit not “scripture alone”!

Scripture? Yes!

Scripture alone? No!

Scripture and the apostles are the same effect, no difference

1 John 1:4
And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.

2 John 1:12
Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face to face, that our joy may be full.

Unwritten Word of God!

The Unwritten word of God (divine revelation) the oral, verbal, preaching / teaching authority of Christ in His apostles is found on almost every page of the New Testament!

“Sacred scripture is the only authority”.

Not if Christ commanded the apostles to teach all men. (Matt 28:19)

Example:

Acts 8:4 Therefore they that were scattered abroad went every where preaching the word. (How did they preach the word if there as no scripture yet?)

Acts 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

“Sacred scripture is the only authority”.

Not if Christ commanded the apostles to teach all men. (Matt 28:19)

Example:

Acts 8:4 Therefore they that were scattered abroad went every where preaching the word. (How did they preach the word if there as no scripture yet?)

Acts 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
Its the only authority needed to know God, yoked with Christ labor of love . It is sealed with 7 seals till the end of time with a warning to those who seek to add to the perfect with the oral traditons of dying mankind ( I heard it through the legion of fathers grapevine) puffed up above that which is written (sola scriptura)_

Is there any loving laws missing from the Bible by which we could know our invisible head our one Holy Father more adequately or intimately?

If so what are they and .where are they found (CCC?)

Its the only authority needed to know God, yoked with Christ labor of love . It is sealed with 7 seals till the end of time with a warning to those who seek to add to the perfect with the oral traditons of dying mankind ( I heard it through the legion of fathers grapevine) puffed up above that which is written (sola scriptura)_

Is there any loving laws missing from the Bible by which we could know our invisible head our one Holy Father more adequately or intimately?

If so what are they and .where are they found (CCC?)
Tell me from scripture alone!

Trinity or no trinity?

The Eucharist the body & blood of Christ or not?

Tell me from scripture alone!

Trinity or no trinity?
Jn 5:23, 36, 43, 14:26, 15:26, 16:7 are pretty clear. . .

1) The Son is subject to the Father, for the Son is sent by the Father in the Father's name (Jn 5;23, 36, 43).
2) The Spirit is subject to the Father, for the Spirit is sent by the Father in the Son's name (Jn 14:26).
3) The Spirit is subject to the Son as well as the Father, for the Spirit is sent by the Son as well as the Father (Jn 15:26, 16:7, 14:26).

One doesn't send oneself. One sends another person.
The Eucharist the body & blood of Christ or not?
As much as the sacrificial offering eaten at the covenant meal on Mt. Sinai (Ex 24:4-11) was the body of the sacrifice.

Ok now what do we do with all those who disagree?

That's not our problem. . .that is between them and God. . .all we can do is witness to them. . .and pray.

You seem to be operating under the notion that @Eleanor agrees with you. You may agree with her words, but your use of them is not what she means.

As much as the sacrificial offering eaten at the covenant meal on Mt. Sinai (Ex 24:4-11) was the body of the sacrifice.
@donadams do you think she believes the elements of communion are (become) the actual body and blood of Christ once ingested? Notice that she did not say "...was the body of the animal sacrificed."

You seem to be operating under the notion that @Eleanor agrees with you. You may agree with her words, but your use of them is not what she means.

@donadams do you think she believes the elements of communion are (become) the actual body and blood of Christ once ingested? Notice that she did not say "...was the body of the animal sacrificed."
1st we were not talking content but how some believe one thing and others believe another, while both do so from scripture.

2nd the Passover required a lamb to be killed and eaten.

3rd Christ is our Passover sacrifice, the lamb of God. Jn 1:29

Jn 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

4th it becomes Christ’s body & blood at the words of consecration.

Thanks

What do you believe about these things? Lord’s supper etc.

What do you believe about these things? Lord’s supper etc.
Other than they were a shadow ceremonial laws a sign to the whole world. A shadow of the eternal things to come , the promise of our new incorruptible bodies. Neither male nor female Jew not gentile the wife of Christ, the church ?

We are not left without a shadow to represent the gospel , the new ceremonial law that looks ahead to our new bodies is found in 1 Corhtitains 11.it fulfills all the old testament shadows rolled into one new..

Other than they were a shadow ceremonial laws a sign to the whole world. A shadow of the eternal things to come , the promise of our new incorruptible bodies. Neither male nor female Jew not gentile the wife of Christ, the church ?

We are not left without a shadow to represent the gospel , the new ceremonial law that looks ahead to our new bodies is found in 1 Corhtitains 11.it fulfills all the old testament shadows rolled into one new..
What about the Passover

Jn 15:1-4

I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.

4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

You can’t say the branches are not saved (process of salvation) or not born again or spirit filled cos they were in Christ and connected to the vine!

The apostolic church is the mystical body of Christ.

A limb that has a cut off from the body dies, life remains with the body!

Serious Sin causes spiritual death and requires repentance before physical death makes the separation permanent. 1 Jn 5:16

What about the Passover
I would offer the Passover is a ceremonial law as a shadow of things to come. it was fulfilled at Calvary the first century reformation The shadows disappeared many shadow worshipers even to day on the increase

Not a sign unto themselves (dying mankind ) No sign was given to wonder after .

Is it possible to include “scripture is the ultimate authority” in the context of sola scriptura?

Thks

Is it possible to include “scripture is the ultimate authority” in the context of sola scriptura?

Thks
What you're asking is if man has equal authority with God's word written regarding divine truth.

Don't you think the answer is obvious?

In what way could man improve upon the divine truth of the word of God written?

What you're asking is if man has equal authority with God's word written regarding divine truth.

Don't you think the answer is obvious?

In what way could man improve upon the divine truth of the word of God written?
Did man write scripture?
Do you have a problem with the authority Moses and Josuha exercised?

Do men show us the way to salvation?

Do men care for our souls?

Can you be saved without a priest?

I don’t see how we could say scripture is the ultimate authority as some claim in light of sola scriptura cos sola scriptura means scripture alone, how could it be ultimate if it must be alone?

Did man write scripture?
Do you have a problem with the authority Moses and Josuha exercised?
No problem with any authority recorded in Scripture, particularly when God speaks to them audibly.
Did they give teaching which they did not receive from God?
Do men show us the way to salvation?
Men preach the gospel. . .the Holy Spirit gives the gift of faith (Php 1:29, Ac 13:48, 18:27, 2 Pe 1:1, Ro 12:3) therein.
Do men care for our souls?
The assembly ministers to the needs of the brethren.
Can you be saved without a priest?
Were those baptized by the apostles saved by a priest, or where they baptized because they were saved by belief in the gospel (Jn 3:18)?
I don’t see how we could say scripture is the ultimate authority as some claim in light of sola scriptura cos sola scriptura means scripture alone,
"Sola" means "only," not "ultimate."
how could it be ultimate if it must be alone?
"Ultimate" is not my word.
"Sola" is my word.

Last edited:
Back