• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Scripture is inspired, not Tradition.

Carbon

Admin
Reaction score
Faith
Reformed
Country
USA
Marital status
Married
Politics
Conservative
We are told in explicit terms that scripture is inspired but that is never said of Tradition. And when we look at the overall teaching of scripture about itself and tradition, it's clear that it teaches that scripture is sufficient.

9 How can a young man keep his way pure?
By keeping it according to Your word.
10 With all my heart I have sought You;
Do not let me wander from Your commandments.
11 I have treasured Your word in my heart,
So that I may not sin against You.
Psalm 119:9-11.

And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Eph 6:17.

The grass withers, the flower fades,
But the word of our God stands forever.
Isaiah 40:8.

Therefore, this is what the Lord, the God of armies says:
“Because you have spoken this word,
Behold, I am making My words fire in your mouth,
And this people wood, and it will consume them.
Jer 5:14.

to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored. Titus 2:5.

so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word,
Eph 5:26.

and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” John 8:32

When the NT speaks of tradition, it does so in words of warning.

2 “Why do Your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat bread.” 3 And He answered and said to them, “Why do you yourselves also break the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? 4 For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother,’ and, ‘The one who speaks evil of father or mother is to [a]be put to death.’ 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever I have that would help you has been [b]given to God,” 6 he is not to [c]honor his father or mother.’ And by this you have invalidated the word of God for the sake of your tradition. Matt 15:2-6

Mark 7:3-13.

See to it that there is no one who takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception in accordance with human tradition, in accordance with the elementary principles of the world, [a]rather than in accordance with Christ. Col 2:8.

and I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries among my countrymen, being more extremely zealous for my ancestral traditions. Gal 1:14.

We are told in explicit terms that scripture is inspired but that is never said of Tradition. And when we look at the overall teaching of scripture about itself and tradition, it's clear that it teaches that scripture is sufficient.

And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Eph 6:17.

to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored. Titus 2:5.

so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, Eph 5:26.

2 “Why do Your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat bread.” 3 And He answered and said to them, “Why do you yourselves also break the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? 4 For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother,’ and, ‘The one who speaks evil of father or mother is to [a]be put to death.’ 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever I have that would help you has been [b]given to God,” 6 he is not to [c]honor his father or mother.’ And by this you have invalidated the word of God for the sake of your tradition. Matt 15:2-6

See to it that there is no one who takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception in accordance with human tradition, in accordance with the elementary principles of the world, [a]rather than in accordance with Christ. Col 2:8.

and I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries among my countrymen, being more extremely zealous for my ancestral traditions. Gal 1:14.
As it written tradition of God. not a private interpretation as a personal commentary called a heresy an opinion.

2 Peter 1:19-21King James Version19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, Eph 5:26.

In Deuteronomy 17:8-13, it gives authority to priests and judges to make rulings about how to correctly obey God's law, which the people were obligated to obey, which got passed down as traditions. Moreover, in Matthew 22:2-4, Jesus said that the Pharisees sit in the seat of Moses and instructed his followers to do and observe all that they tell them, so he recognized that they had this authority, which also implies that Jesus submitted to their authority. For example, in John 10:22, Jesus celebrated Hanukkah. Jesus never spoke against the authority of the Pharisees, but he did speak against the pride and hypocrisy of some of them. In Colossians 2:20-23, it describes the elemental principles of the world as being human precepts and teachings, self-made religion, asceticism, and severity to the body, so Paul was speaking against paganism.

Hebrew script did not originally have vowel points and consonants can have a variety of meaning depending upon which vowels are between them, so there needed to be an oral tradition of how the words were pronounced in order to correctly know which words were used in the script.

Hebrew script did not originally have vowel points and consonants can have a variety of meaning depending upon which vowels are between them, so there needed to be an oral tradition of how the words were pronounced in order to correctly know which words were used in the script
God taught them how to write as he gave them ears to hear his interpretation.

In their original autograph the finger of God moved men to record his thoughts And lovingly commanded them not add to them or take away from (sola scriptura) No room for the oral traditions of dying mankind.

In Deuteronomy 17:8-13, it gives authority to priests and judges to make rulings about how to correctly obey God's law, which the people were obligated to obey, which got passed down as traditions. Moreover, in Matthew 22:2-4, Jesus said that the Pharisees sit in the seat of Moses and instructed his followers to do and observe all that they tell them, so he recognized that they had this authority, which also implies that Jesus submitted to their authority. For example, in John 10:22, Jesus celebrated Hanukkah. Jesus never spoke against the authority of the Pharisees, but he did speak against the pride and hypocrisy of some of them. In Colossians 2:20-23, it describes the elemental principles of the world as being human precepts and teachings, self-made religion, asceticism, and severity to the body, so Paul was speaking against paganism.

Hebrew script did not originally have vowel points and consonants can have a variety of meaning depending upon which vowels are between them, so there needed to be an oral tradition of how the words were pronounced in order to correctly know which words were used in the script.
Well. I'm off to church. Later we can look at what Jesus says about it. :)

Scripture is God's inspired tradition. His interpretation Not our private interpretation as a personal commentary. Our a hope of rightly dividing (sola scriptura) .

2 Peter 1: 20-21King James Version Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
Its all together the same thing "Inspired tradition"

Not Scripture is inspired, not Tradition.

What do think it means to be inspired ? Are there two kinds of inspiration?

His written tradition is law not a philosophical opinion of dying mankind

The phrase "as it is written" is used 50 times in old and new testament. It makes the devil flee every time .

He began the written tradition on Mount Sinai. There Eternal God without any help from Moses hew out the two tablets and wrote on both sides with his finger *No room for the oral tradition of dying mankind

Exodus 31:17-King James Version18 And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

Exodus 32:15 And Moses turned, and went down from the mount, and the two tables of the testimony were in his hand: the tables were written on both their sides; on the one side and on the other were they written.

When Moses came down from Mount Sinai they were celebrating the oral traditions of dying mankind.

The first set was smashed this time he moved Moses hew out two tablets then again with the finger of God he wrote the same words establishing two as the witness of one God has spoken
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus 34:27&version=KJV
Exodus 34:1 And the Lord said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest

Exodus 34:27
And the Lord said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel.

15 and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is inspired by God and beneficial for teaching, for rebuke, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 so that the man or woman of God may be fully capable, equipped for every good work. 2 Tim 3:15-17

Tradition according to Jesus was never an authority in and of itself but was to be judged by the word of God. And wherever it was found wanting, it is to be rejected. For example,
In Matthew 15:1-9,
Then some Pharisees and scribes *came to Jesus from Jerusalem and said, 2 “Why do Your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat bread.” 3 And He answered and said to them, “Why do you yourselves also break the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? 4 For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother,’ and, ‘The one who speaks evil of father or mother is to be put to death.’ 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever I have that would help you has been given to God,” 6 he is not to honor his father or mother.’ And by this you have invalidated the word of God for the sake of your tradition. 7 You hypocrites, rightly did Isaiah prophesy about you, by saying:

8 ‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far away from Me.
9 And in vain do they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’”

Look at Jesus confronting the Pharisees about their tradition and its relationship to the scriptures.

These traditions (like Rome's) have developed to the point of being equal with the Word of God and it is for this reason that the Pharisees drew Jesus' attention to it.

Now of course Jesus didn't condemn all tradition, only that which was (is) elevated in authority to a position equally with the word of God which invalidated scripture.

Here is a very important principle: what Jesus is saying here is that tradition is not inspired and therefore not inherently authoritative.

The ultimate standard of determining if a teaching or tradition is right is by the Word of God. According to Jesus any teaching that violates God's word is utterly condemned By God. Whenever that takes place as it did with the Pharisees and, the RCC, the teachings of men displaces the word of God. And the authority of men displaces the authority of God.
According to Christ, scripture is the final arbiter in all matters of faith and practice, since scripture is the judge of tradition.

Scripture is inspired / Tradition is not inspired:

Scripture is Tradition.2 thes 2:15

Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

So scripture is Tradition, and it comes from Tradition.

Tradition is inspired and even commanded. Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21 Matt 28:19

Tradition does not refer to customs and habits or small t traditions, it only refers the “teaching authority of Jesus Christ in His apostolic church”!

Examples of Tradition:

1 cor 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you…

1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received

Jude 1:3
Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

1 Thessalonians 4:1
Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more.

2 Thessalonians 3:6
Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.

Matt 28:19 go and teach…

Matt 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Acts 1:2 Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen:

From scripture alone what are these commandments? What are the Ten Commandments from scripture alone?

Thks

Scripture Verses that contradict the “Bible is our ONLY AUTHORITY”!

Matt 5:14
Matt 6:33
Matt 13:11
Matt 18:17
Matt 28:19
Lk 1:4
Lk 10:16
Jn 8:32
Jn 16:13
Jn 20:21
Acts 1:8
Acts 2:42
Acts 8:26
Acts 8:31
Acts 18:25
Rom 10:15
1 cor 4:11
1 cor 11:23
1 thes 2:23
2 thes 2:2
2 thes 2:15
Col 2:7
Eph 4:5
Heb 13:7
Heb 13:17
1 Tim 3:15
1 Jn 1:3-5
1 Jn 4:6
2 Jn 1:12
Jude 1:3

How can it be said scripture is “sole authority” or the only source of truth or the rule of faith when scripture itself says we must hear the church Matt 18:17 the apostles are the light of the world Matt 5:14 we must hold the doctrine of the apostles acts 2:42 the church is the pillar and ground of truth 1 Tim 3:15

Is “the word of God” limited to scripture alone?

How do you know without tradition exactly what is and what is not sacred inspired scripture? Dan 13 & 14 included?

Thks

Sacred Tradition is Christ gathering the apostles and teaches them in person three years, and commanding them to teach all men! Matt 28:19

Acts 16:17 we must learn salvation from men! (Apostles)

Apostles continue until christ returns or there is no truth no salvation!

Acts 16:17 we must learn salvation from men! (Apostles)
Hmmmm? And where do they learn it from?

Do we venerate or puff then up above all things writen in the law and the prophets (sola scriptura). Should we pretend the power to believe God cannot come from God? Is it the apostles that make men different.

Is it up to the Pope to declare a saint as holy patron saint and create a legion of workers with familiar spirits ? The living seeking after the dead gods in the likeness of men? What the hope?

God knew ahead of time that mankind sent with the gospel (apostles) that others who had no faith in a unseen Holy Father would puff up dying mankind ,one against another . . above sola scriptura making the living abiding word of eternal God to no effect. )

The bible defines the word apostle. Not those that deny sola scriptura) in exchange for I heard it through the legion of fathers grape vine .

1 Corihtinans 4: 6-7 And these things, brethren, I have in a figure (aparble) transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

Why do you glory in dying flesh ?

Hmmmm? And where do they learn it from?

Do we venerate or puff then up above all things writen in the law and the prophets (sola scriptura). Should we pretend the power to believe God cannot come from God? Is it the apostles that make men different.

Is it up to the Pope to declare a saint as holy patron saint and create a legion of workers with familiar spirits ? The living seeking after the dead gods in the likeness of men? What the hope?

God knew ahead of time that mankind sent with the gospel (apostles) that others who had no faith in a unseen Holy Father would puff up dying mankind ,one against another . . above sola scriptura making the living abiding word of eternal God to no effect. )

The bible defines the word apostle. Not those that deny sola scriptura) in exchange for I heard it through the legion of fathers grape vine .

1 Corihtinans 4: 6-7 And these things, brethren, I have in a figure (aparble) transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

Why do you glory in dying flesh ?
There were taught by Christ in person for three years and don’t need scripture to know truth! Jn 8:32

There were taught by Christ in person for three years and don’t need scripture to know truth! Jn 8:32
The Spirit of Christ (the anointing teaching Holy Spirit) was preached by the apostles as messengers not of or coming from the apostles. How beautiful are there feet shod with the gospel of peace. . The messengers sent by Christ.

One messenger (apostle) would plant the incorruptible born again seed of the word, another water it with the doctrines that fall inspired from above But Christ the one good teaching master must perform the work of strengthening a person to hear and believe, empowering them to the good works yoked with His labor of love

1 Corinthians 3:1-7 King James Version3 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able. For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal? Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.

We preach he teaches

All receiving the same reward eternal life. the fruit of His mighty Spirit

Scripture? Yes!

Scripture alone? No!

Scripture and the apostles are the same effect, no difference

1 John 1:4
And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.

2 John 1:12
Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face to face, that our joy may be full.

Scripture? Yes!

Scripture alone? No!

Scripture and the apostles are the same effect, no difference

1 John 1:4
And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.

2 John 1:12
Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face to face, that our joy may be full.

The law of faith . . . . .the unseen eternal things of God

Sola Scriptura . . "Let there be " is never alone as evidence of the power "It was God alone good" Creative faith .nothing seen creating something seen the big bang the gospel explosion's and the light was God alone good.

False prophecy. . . Dead faith "let there be" and "nothing changes nothing" dead works

Christ as the storeroom of faith (power) Gives us little of His powerful faith he calls us little faith . It would make a interesting tattoo right on ones forehead.

Little the golden measure a unknown not the literal the understanding of man Peter said increase his new born agin faith this power that woks in me that he might decrease giving glory to the fther the oe that can empower .

Ephesians 3:5
Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

Not by scripture alone!

Sacred Scripture yes!
Sacred Scripture alone no!

Unwritten Word of God!

The Unwritten word of God (divine revelation) the oral, verbal, preaching / teaching authority of Christ in His apostles is found on almost every page of the New Testament!

“Sacred scripture is the only authority”.

Not if Christ commanded the apostles to teach all men. (Matt 28:19)

Example:

Acts 8:4 Therefore they that were scattered abroad went every where preaching the word. (How did they preach the word if there as no scripture yet?)

Acts 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

Tradition: every word the apostles heard from Christ!

Scripture verifies over and over: “as I received from the Lord I have made known unto you”!!!

That’s TRADITION!

Only original manuscripts are the inspired word of God!

All authorized copies and translations are done by men of holy orders in obedience to the apostolic authority of Christ in His church.

Protestant sects require the scriptures to know the truth of the word of God but not the apostolic church which was taught by Christ (God) in person for three years and taught (preached) the word of God decades before scripture was ever written.

Christ commanded the apostles to teach all men. (Matt 28:19)

Example:

Acts 8:4 Therefore they that were scattered abroad went every where preaching the word.

Acts 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

Thks

Back