• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Question regarding Gospel

Hodgie

Freshman
Reaction score
I go into the parks quite regular and tell people the Gospel. When I do this, I have a script that I have memorised.
Now when it comes to how a person is saved, I have always said this,
"First, you need to believe that Jesus died on the cross for you. That he died in your place for your sins. And then, you need to repent. That is to tell God how sorry you are and then turn from your sins. Don’t be the hypocrite who says he is a changed man but then continues in his sin. If you do this, and you truly mean it, God can wash you clean and grant you everlasting life as a free gift."

I realise that if you have a true belief in God, that he died in your place for your sins, then you will also naturally honour Him. But I was thinking, should I add that we should always put God first? If so, this would be the wording: (extra in bold)

"First, you need to believe that Jesus died on the cross for you. That he died in your place for your sins. And then, you need to repent. That is to tell God how sorry you are and then turn from your sins. Don’t be the hypocrite who says he is a changed man but then continues in his sin. Lastly, always put God first in everything you do. Honour Him with your life. If you do this, and you truly mean it, God can wash you clean and grant you everlasting life as a free gift."

So, do I add the bold that we should put God first or not?
Personally, I think so but what are your thoughts.

I go into the parks quite regular and tell people the Gospel. When I do this, I have a script that I have memorised.
"First, you need to believe that Jesus died on the cross for you. That he died in your place for your sins. And then, you need to repent. That is to tell God how sorry you are and then turn from your sins. Don’t be the hypocrite who says he is a changed man but then continues in his sin. If you do this, and you truly mean it, God can wash you clean and grant you everlasting life as a free gift."

I realise that if you have a true belief in God, that he died in your place for your sins, then you will also naturally honour Him. But I was thinking, should I add that we should always put God first? If so, this would be the wording: (extra in bold)

"First, you need to believe that Jesus died on the cross for you. That he died in your place for your sins. And then, you need to repent. That is to tell God how sorry you are and then turn from your sins. Don’t be the hypocrite who says he is a changed man but then continues in his sin. Lastly, always put God first in everything you do. Honour Him with your life. If you do this, and you truly mean it, God can wash you clean and grant you everlasting life as a free gift."

I have two:

1) repentance is a change of mind, a turning, it is not a confessing. If one's mind is changed and turned to God, that is repentance.

2) saving faith is belief in and trust on the atoning work (blood, Ro 3;25) of Jesus Christ for the taking away of your sin and reconciling you to God.
True faith shows itself in obedience to God in the Scriptures.

I'm with @Eleanor ... Repentance is a change of mind; saying your sorry is reasonable but not part of the salvific gospel.
If one truly believes then that belief will show itself as trust in Christ which leads to putting God first in everything you do.. Obedience is a necessary sign of salvation, but not the cause of salvation.

I agree. Repentance is a change of mind. That is why I have the part where it says, "Don’t be the hypocrite who says he is a changed man but then continues in his sin." A hypocrite has not had a change of mind.
But if a person has had a change of mind, and they have seen their sin for what it truly is, then as a result of this, they will honour God.
So, I agree. But do I add this into my Gospel spiel? If it is added, then the new believer, may to think to themselves, "Am I honouring God by doing this action? Am I honouring God by watching this movie that is very worldly? etc." It will make them evaluate their actions more so that they are honouring God.

My thoughts are, follow your Conscience. Believe that the Holy Spirit will give you words to say. Yes, use your Gospel Formula; but feel free to speak your Heart and Mind. When you add something, or leave a snippet out; trust that it is the Providence of God. What you say to someone, is what the Spirit wants them to hear...

I think I have it sussed out. This is what I have:
"To be saved, you need to believe that Jesus died on the cross for you. That he died in your place for your sins. And then, you need to repent. That is to tell God how sorry you are and then turn from your sins. So, think to yourself, is this honouring God. Always put God first in everything you do. Don’t be the hypocrite who says he is a changed man but then continues in his sin.
If you do this, and you truly mean it, God can wash you clean and grant you everlasting life as a free gift. So, the big question is, when do you think you’re going to put your faith in Jesus and turn from your sin?
"

"To be saved, you need to believe that Jesus died on the cross for you. That he died in your place for your sins. And then, you need to repent. That is to tell God how sorry you are and then turn from your sins. So, think to yourself, is this honouring God. Always put God first in everything you do. Don’t be the hypocrite who says he is a changed man but then continues in his sin.
If you do this, and you truly mean it, God can wash you clean and grant you everlasting life as a free gift. So, the big question is, when do you think you’re going to put your faith in Jesus and turn from your sin?
"
IMO I would adjust it ...
"To be saved, you need to believe that Jesus died on the cross for you. That he died in your place for your sins. And then, you need to repent. That is to tell God how sorry you are and then turn from your sins. If you do this, and you truly mean it, God can wash you clean and grant you everlasting life as a free gift.
So, think to yourself, is this honouring God.

[Your belief called your faith will cause you to] Always put God first in everything you do [though imperfectly.] Don’t be the hypocrite who says he is a changed man but then continues in his sin.

So, the big question is, when do you think you’re going to put your faith in Jesus and turn from your sin?
"

This is how I would edit it. I moved the part in blue because works (obedience) is the result of faith and doing works contradicts the idea that salvation is a free gift and works do not save you; they only indicate you are saved.

Back