• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Entering His Rest

Alive

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
In Christ of the Father.
Marital status
Married
Politics
Conservative
It’s my hope and prayer that each of His saints enter His rest--here while still in these fleshly bodies.

One of the most vital principles that needs to be learned is the lesson that the law teaches. That our efforts always fall short and that we 'need' a Savior. The core of the pride of man is that he believes that he is a capable creature and he is indeed a wonderful and capable creature; even in his fallen state.

But there is one thing that he cannot do with all of his powers. And that is to change his nature and to please the righteous requirement of his Creator.

This is why God had to Himself become a man and take upon Himself the sin and sins of the man. To take man's place, to provide the atoning blood and 'Give' the 'Gift' of righteousness that he could never attain on his own.

And yet, some men hold onto a hope that they can ‘be’ righteous and present their own bit of righteousness to God--as though it somehow satisfies, when God has already provided His Perfect Righteousness at such a high price. Yes--His very Life and Blood.

He did what hundreds of thousand of cattle, goats, lambs and doves could not do and yet some of us still want to come to Him with a slain offering and say, "here Lord"--see what I have done. We don't understand that it is only a dead thing.

But He is Alive and because He is Alive, so are we.

To enter into His ‘Rest’ is to cease from our own work. I tend to think about reposing back ‘into Christ’ kind of like an easy chair. A deep breath and sigh of relief.

Thank you Lord—you are the Shepherd of my soul.

Matt. 11:28 (NAS20S) “ Come to Me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.

It’s my hope and prayer that each of His saints enter His rest--here while still in these fleshly bodies.

One of the most vital principles that needs to be learned is the lesson that the law teaches. That our efforts always fall short and that we 'need' a Savior. The core of the pride of man is that he believes that he is a capable creature and he is indeed a wonderful and capable creature; even in his fallen state.
In Romans 10:5-8, it references Deuteronomy 30 as the word of faith that we proclaim in regard to proclaiming that God's law is not too difficult for us to obey and that obedience to it brings life and a blessing while disobedience brings death and a curse, so choose life! So you are denying the word of faith that we proclaim. Jesus saves us from our sin (Matthew 1:21) and sin s the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), so our obedience to it has nothing to do with trying to earn our salvation from God, but rather Jesus graciously teaching us to be a doer of it is intrinsically the way that he is giving us his gift of saving us from not being a doer of it.

But there is one thing that he cannot do with all of his powers. And that is to change his nature and to please the righteous requirement of his Creator.
There are countless people who have met the righteous requirement of our Creator, such as Noah (Genesis 6:8-9) and Zechariah and Elizabeth (Luke 1:5-6).

This is why God had to Himself become a man and take upon Himself the sin and sins of the man. To take man's place, to provide the atoning blood and 'Give' the 'Gift' of righteousness that he could never attain on his own.
The only way for to attain a character trait is through faith and what it means for someone to attain a character trait is for them to become a doer of that trait. For example, there is no amount of courageous works that someone is required to have done first before they can become courageous as the result, but rather the only way for them to become courageous is through faith, however, it would be contradictory for someone to become courageous apart from becoming a doer of courageous works, and the same is true for becoming righteous and every other character trait. This is why the same faith by which we are declared righteous apart from works does not abolish our need to be a doer of righteous works in obedience to God's law, but rather our faith upholds it (Romans 3:27-31), so the gift of righteousness is the gift of becoming a doer of righteous works in obedience to God's law.

To enter into His ‘Rest’ is to cease from our own work. I tend to think about reposing back ‘into Christ’ kind of like an easy chair. A deep breath and sigh of relief.

Matt. 11:28 (NAS20S) “ Come to Me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.
Christ set a sinless example for us to follow of how to walk in obedience to God's law and those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked (1 John 2:6). In Matthew 11:28-30, Jesus was inviting people to come to him for rest and to learn from him, not inviting people to come to him for rest by refusing to learn from his example. Moreover, by Jesus saying that will find rest for our souls, he was referencing Jeremiah 6:16-19, where God's law is described as the good way where we will find rest for our souls, but people don't want to walk in it.

A man does fine not sinning until he does sin; thus proving he is a sinner.
All have sinned and fall short. Including of course, Noah.
God cannot abide any sin. If man could walk in perfect obedience then Christ didn’t need to suffer and die in our stead.
I may get back to this later, but the topic here is entering the rest that Christ provides…specifically.
Let’s stick with that and encourage one another.

God cannot abide any sin. If man could walk in perfect obedience then Christ didn’t need to suffer and die in our stead.
I may get back to this later, but the topic here is entering the rest that Christ provides…specifically.
The only reason why someone would need to have perfect obedience is if they are going to give themselves to pay for the sins of the world, the rest of us can thankfully have our sins forgiven.

God has given instructions for how to enter into his rest, which is the yoke of the Kingdom that Jesus was encouraging us to take upon ourselves, not to rest from his yoke.

And the rest God provides is from our own work to save and in Jesus' finished work which saves completely.

And the rest God provides is from our own work to save and in Jesus' finished work which saves completely.
Yes and we enjoy His working in us for His good pleasure.
And this Sabbath that Christ is for us points to the final and eternal Rest.
We learn, as He puts His hand to us, that our striving for some pride based recognition of worth, can be set aside for that assurance of the 'Righteousness' of Christ imputed to us by the Father.
I cannot where God can.
Thank you Lord.

And yet, some men hold onto a hope that they can ‘be’ righteous and present their own bit of righteousness to God--as though it somehow satisfies, when God has already provided His Perfect Righteousness at such a high price. Yes--His very Life and Blood.

He did what hundreds of thousand of cattle, goats, lambs and doves could not do and yet some of us still want to come to Him with a slain offering and say, "here Lord"--see what I have done. We don't understand that it is only a dead thing.

But He is Alive and because He is Alive, so are we.

It’s refreshing to read the truth! Thank you! The Bible clearly tells us that all have sinned and fallen short… which is why Jesus died for us. Thee is nothing in us that can please God. It is only through the righteousness of Christ that we are made righteous, so we rest in Him, and allow the work of the Holy Spirit in us.

It’s refreshing to read the truth! Thank you! The Bible clearly tells us that all have sinned and fallen short… which is why Jesus died for us. Thee is nothing in us that can please God. It is only through the righteousness of Christ that we are made righteous, so we rest in Him, and allow the work of the Holy Spirit in us.
Amen!
Welcome to the forum. The truth is needed on forums.
Join in and be blessed.

God does not require work from us, which is why two things took place for man on the cross of Christ with Christ: 1) He nailed the law to the cross taking away the requirements of the law for us, and 2) He crucified the flesh (our carnal nature/ fleshly nature) on the cross with Christ. And, in Christ He gives us His Spirit, which we are transformed by His Power to do His good pleasure!

We cannot do good. Romans 7 explains that the thing we want to do (righteousness), we cannot, and what we don’t want to do (sin), we do - because when we try to do right sin/evil is present, which activates a law, that is, the law of sin and death. Our only hope is in Christ Jesus!

Amen!

And, welcome to the forum.

God does not require work from us,
Agreed. . .not for salvation.

But what about sanctification?
Is obedience in the Holy Spirit needed?
which is why two things took place for man on the cross of Christ with Christ: 1) He nailed the law to the cross taking away the requirements of the law for us, and 2) He crucified the flesh (our carnal nature/ fleshly nature) on the cross with Christ. And, in Christ He gives us His Spirit, which we are transformed by His Power to do His good pleasure!

We cannot do good. Romans 7 explains that the thing we want to do (righteousness), we cannot, and what we don’t want to do (sin), we do - because when we try to do right sin/evil is present, which activates a law, that is, the law of sin and death. Our only hope is in Christ Jesus!
Agreed. . .

Agreed. . .not for salvation.

But what about sanctification?
Is obedience in the Holy Spirit needed?
Sanctification is being set apart in Christ Jesus, and is the work of the Spirit in us. We are given the Spirit of Christ for that purpose.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 KJV
…because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Obedience is obedient of faith, the faith of the gospel. We are told we live by faith and not by sight. That’s a believers walk.

Romans 16:26 KJV
But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

When we receive the Holy Spirit, the Spirit Itself transforms us to the image of Christ, and produces fruit in us. The way God does this is through fiery trials, and chastisement:

God doesn’t need us to do His work, because we can’t. No right action is pleasing to God, because we only know the flesh, and the flesh cannot please God. So, God Himself accomplishes the transformation in us through sanctification of the Spirit: 1 Peter 1:2 KJV,
“Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ:”

Through sanctification, and for salvation, God puts us through fiery trials- like a refinement process, and chastisement.

1 Peter 1:7 KJV
“That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:”

1 Peter 4:12 KJV
“Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:”

Hebrews 12:5-8 KJV
5 …My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
It’s the fiery trials and chastisement that affects the change in us through God’s Power, not ours. We are followers and partakes of the Spirit’s guidance, not doers of any law or right action based on our efforts. We must have the Spirit to accomplish God’s righteousness.

Zechariah 4:6 KJV
…Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

Sanctification is being set apart in Christ Jesus, and is the work of the Spirit in us. We are given the Spirit of Christ for that purpose.

…because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Obedience is obedient of faith, the faith of the gospel. We are told we live by faith and not by sight. That’s a believers walk.

But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

When we receive the Holy Spirit, the Spirit Itself transforms us to the image of Christ, and produces fruit in us. The way God does this is through fiery trials, and chastisement:

God doesn’t need us to do His work, because we can’t. No right action is pleasing to God, because we only know the flesh, and the flesh cannot please God. So, God Himself accomplishes the transformation in us through sanctification of the Spirit: 1 Peter 1:2 KJV,
“Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ:”

Through sanctification, and for salvation, God puts us through fiery trials- like a refinement process, and chastisement.

“That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:”

“Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:”

5 …My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
It’s the fiery trials and chastisement that affects the change in us through God’s Power, not ours. We are followers and partakes of the Spirit’s guidance, not doers of any law or right action based on our efforts. We must have the Spirit to accomplish God’s righteousness.

Amen! Finally!

God does not require work from us, which is why two things took place for man on the cross of Christ with Christ: 1) He nailed the law to the cross taking away the requirements of the law for us, and 2) He crucified the flesh (our carnal nature/ fleshly nature) on the cross with Christ. And, in Christ He gives us His Spirit, which we are transformed by His Power to do His good pleasure!

Amen

Even in our regenerated state! We are not capable of anything, apart from HIM. All the good we have and are is HIM.

Sanctification is set apart from sin and to obedience.

A walk is obedience.

And also through simple believing obedience.

We are sanctified through obedience in the Holy Spirit (Ro 6:19).

Even in our regenerated state! We are not capable of anything, apart from HIM. All the good we have and are is HIM.
Jesus said we can do no thing without Him.
I take this literally. And I extend it to the universe.

Sanctification is set apart from sin and to obedience.

A walk is obedience.

And also through simple believing obedience.

We are sanctified through obedience in the Holy Spirit (Ro 6:19).
I believe you are using obedience as something we must do to show our righteousness before God! Not sure how you are interpreting obedience.

However the obedience the gospel is speaking of is obedience to the faith. That is, in order to be transformed into the image of Christ, which is God’s desire for us, the only power which can transform us is the Holy Spirit. Without believing this, and/or without this knowledge, we remain floundering in the flesh trying to be good through attempting some righteousness act. But when we understand what God means when He says, “I have given you Power” Luke 10:19 KJV, followed us with 2 Timothy 1:7 KJV - to overcome, we then understand that the Power generated in us by God, by His Spirit enables us to do what we could not do.

So, the obedience is to the faith - a requirement to believe God’s word is true - that what we do not have now, God’s word says we will have it - by His Spirit. This is why Apostle Paul tells us that faith is the substance of things hoped for, evidence of things not seen. Because we don’t reap the Fruit of the Spirit immediately, because of the transformation process; patience is being worked into us,
Romans 5:3-4 KJV
3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

Again, obedience is to the faith - the faith of the gospel of Christ, whereby we receive Power.

The gospel is the Power of God unto salvation -
Romans 1:16-17 KJV
16 “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.”
17 “For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.”

There has to be a separating from the flesh to receive the proper joining with the Holy Spirit in our spirit. They are near the same region within our inner self - so the power of the word has to do the cutting/piercing - then you can see, the blinders/vail will start to lift, but not until the cutting/piercing starts to happen.
Hebrews 4:12 KJV
“For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. “

Read these scriptures, study more scriptures, let them soak in, eat the words, digest them, then you will start to see and understand- ask to be guided by the Spirit for understanding.

I believe you are using obedience as something we must do to show our righteousness before God! Not sure how you are interpreting obedience.
Obedience in the Holy Spirit is the result of saving faith.

A lifestyle of sin demonstrates that one does not have saving faith, even though he claims to believe, rather his faith is counterfeit, as in the tares (Mt 13:24-30).
However the obedience the gospel is speaking of is obedience to the faith. That is, in order to be transformed into the image of Christ, which is God’s desire for us,
the only power which can transform us is the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit doesn't just drop sanctification down from the sky into us.
He transforms us through our obedience to the word of God in the Scriptures (Ro 6:16, 19).
No obedience in the Holy Spirit = no transformation in the Holy Spirit = counterfeit faith revealed.

Last edited:
Romans 8:29-30 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

John 17:17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.

Rest.

Back