• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Age of the earth...Young or old?

The time period between Christ’s advents, but that is not relevant.
Are the billions of years before Adam?

Brother…no matter what you do here, it has to be saturated with speculation based on a chosen presupposition.
Whatever the case, why not stop here and I will wait for you all to present your case up to this point, how do you understand it?

I'm not on trial here, we are all sharing, right?

You mean, "we?"
Nice try.
Lol
No, I choose to see the 6 days defined as stated.
Gap theory? Perhaps, but why and why is that important? For some supposed evolutions sake?

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
Genesis 1.

Now if you're looking at creation from the heavens perspective, you may think God is creating the sun now. But it was already created in verse 1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

If you're looking at creation from Earth. It's easy to see God still at work, allowing and calling for the light. Scripture does not let us in on all things but perhaps God is clearing up the atmosphere He also created, or allowing the sun's light to shine upon the earth.
When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, Psalm 8:3.

That would only be if your understand ing is the correct understanding. So, nice try. :)

Which is?

I don't think so.

Evolutionists dont believe in God. So, why should we care what they think about the creation?
C’mon man. Evening and morning a 24 or so hour period, just as the early readers would have understood the plain language. Not this modern, so called enlightened mankind’s science fiction saturated POV.
Did the Holy Spirit inspire the writer to communicate something only a modern could understand?

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
Genesis 1.

Now if you're looking at creation from the heavens perspective, you may think God is creating the sun now. But it was already created in verse 1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

If you're looking at creation from Earth. It's easy to see God still at work, allowing and calling for the light. Scripture does not let us in on all things but perhaps God is clearing up the atmosphere He also created, or allowing the sun's light to shine upon the earth.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
Gen 1.
Day one has come to an end.
Now, how long was this day one period? I have to ask, does it really matter? I think it is pretty awesome to look at the work of our God.

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 2 Peter 3.

I honestly do not believe there is any way of knowing the time period of day one. Guesswork at best.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
Gen 1.
Day one has come to an end.
Now, how long was this day one period? I have to ask, does it really matter? I think it is pretty awesome to look at the work of our God.

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 2 Peter 3.

I honestly do not believe there is any way of knowing the time period of day one. Guesswork at best.
Or just except the plain language. Ask Moses.

C’mon man. Evening and morning a 24 or so hour period, just as the early readers would have understood the plain language. Not this modern, so called enlightened mankind’s science fiction saturated POV.
Did the Holy Spirit inspire the writer to communicate something only a modern could understand?
I suppose you know better than B. B. Warfield did?

In a word, the Scriptural data leave us wholly without guidance in estimating the time which elapsed between the
creation of the world and the deluge and between the deluge and the call of Abraham. So far as the Scripture assertions
are concerned, we may suppose any length of time to have intervened between these events which may otherwise appear
reasonable. The question of the antiquity of man is accordingly a purely scientific one, in which the theologian
as such has no concern.

Source: Book – “On the Antiquity and Unity of the Human Race” (1911, p. 261) also, reprinted in Biblical and Theological
Studies (P & R, 1968), pp. 238-261

Charles Hodge

[Hodge explains the importance of science/faith harmony and using one to interpret the other]

Nature is as truly a revelation of God as the Bible; and we only interpret the Word of God by the Word of God
when we interpret the Bible by science. As this principle is undeniably true, it is admitted and acted on by
those who, through inattention to the meaning of terms, in words deny it. When the Bible speaks of the foundations,
or of the pillars of the earth, or of the solid heavens, or of the motion of the sun, do not you and every other
sane man, interpret this language by the facts of science? For five thousand years the Church understood the
Bible to teach that the earth stood still in space, and that the sun and stars revolved around it. Science has
demonstrated that this is not true. Shall we go on to interpret the Bible so as to make it teach the falsehood
that the sun moves around the earth, or shall we interpret it by science, and make the two harmonize? Of course,
this rule works both ways. If the Bible cannot contradict science, neither can science contradict the Bible…There
is a two-fold evil on this subject against which it would be well for Christians to guard. There are some good
men who are much too ready to adopt the opinions and theories of scientific men, and to adopt forced and unnatural
interpretations of the Bible, to bring it to accord with these opinions. There are others, who not only refuse
to admit the opinions of men, but science itself, to have any voice in the interpretation of Scripture. Both
of these errors should be avoided.

Source: Book – The Bible In Science, New York Observer, Mar, 26, 1863, pp. 98-99.

Francis A. Schaeffer on “day” in Genesis 1

What does day mean in the days of creation?
The answer must be held with some openness. In Genesis 5:2 we read: “Male and female created he them; and blessed
them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.” As it is clear that Adam and Eve were not
created simultaneously, day in Genesis 5:2 does not mean a period of twenty-four hours.
In other places in the Old Testament the Hebrew word day refers to an era, just as it often does in English. See,
for example, Isaiah 2:11,12 and 17 for such a usage.
The simple fact is that day in Hebrew (just as in English) is used in three separate senses: to mean (1) twenty-four
hours, (2) the period of light during the twenty-four hours, and (3) an indeterminate period of time. Therefore,
we must leave open the exact length of time indicated by day in Genesis.

Source: Book –
Genesis in Space and Time; The Flow of Biblical History (1972 p 59)

Francis A. Schaeffer on “day” in Genesis 1
As it is clear that Adam and Eve were not
created simultaneously, day in Genesis 5:2 does not mean a period of twenty-four hours.

2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

Yes, the distance between the earth and moon is increasing each year (I think it's about 1.5 inches a year, if I recall correctly) and tidal forces will diminish accordingly. The earth's rotation is also slowing each year.

The combination of the above factors means that the moon's recession from the earth was faster in the past, such that it would have been touching the earth (!) about 1.2 billion years ago, if there had really been that much time, which I'm completely convinced there has not.

See below for a scientific discussion of the moon's recession and the age of the earth.

So it would seem that you trust that analysis but not radiometric dating methods. I would be willing to bet that there is considerably more science behind radiometric dating methods, than a moon-slowing dating method. Actually. there is probably more science behind the moon/earth impact of about 4.5 billion years ago than behind the moon-slowing dating method.

But perhaps that is just me thinking out loud.

@Alive @David1701 @CrowCross
Could this all have taken place in one 24-hour period? I think if we look for a time period, we miss the whole point. The point is not how long it took God during creation but Hismajesty's wonderful creation which displays His glory. And even though the sun and moon are already there, they have not been adjusted and put in their places to govern the day and night. Nor was there at this time, a life that needed sunlight or a light source to govern their biological clocks.
And even though the sun and moon are already there.....the bible doesn't say this.
There are some who believe the sky was cloudy and blocked out the sun...and on day 4 God dispersed of the clouds and the light from the sun, moon and stars could now shine on the surface of the earth....but, this is not taught in the bible.

If you read the bible as written you don't need the "perhaps".

And even though the sun and moon are already there.....the bible doesn't say this.
There are some who believe the sky was cloudy and blocked out the sun...and on day 4 God dispersed of the clouds and the light from the sun, moon and stars could now shine on the surface of the earth....but, this is not taught in the bible.
Well, you saved me the trouble of this. Thanks. One problem with many young earthers is they only look at Genesis 1 for the creation account.

If you read the bible as written you don't need the "perhaps".
But I need it to tell my side, you know what I mean. But thanks. :)

“It is he who made the earth by his power, who established the world by his wisdom, and by his understanding stretched out the heavens. Jeremiah 51:15.

@CrowCross

Do you see the creation story touches in Jeremiah also?

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
Gen 1.

Do you not fear me? declares the Lord. Do you not tremble before me? I placed the sand as the boundary for the sea, a perpetual barrier that it cannot pass; though the waves toss, they cannot prevail; though they roar, they cannot pass over it. Jeremiah 5:22.

“Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding. Job 34>4.

Can you see the work God has done?

Back