• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Age of the earth...Young or old?

CrowCross

Well Known Member
Reaction score
In recent post Carbon and ShepherdsPie seem to want to talk about the age of the earth and hinted at me starting a new post....so, here it is.

They both seemed to indicate they have biblical verses that support an old earth...by that I believe many millions or even several billions of years old. I ask where is the biblical support. Typically this theory ends up with a pre-agamic race of angels, their fall and the destruction of earth which is then re-done in Gen 1.

I ask, where is the biblical evidence as well as the scientific evidence.

I ask where is the biblical support..........

Do you believe the Bible can (or does) contradict the facts of science? In other words, if something can be demonstrated to be factually true, can the Bible be read or otherwise interpreted to contradict that fact?

For example, can the Bible be read to contradict the fact of gravity?

I'd ask the question in reverse, but I doubt you, @Carbon, or @ShepherdsPie believe science authoritative over scripture, so the authority of scripture is a given accepted by ALL (including myself).

One more question: Can you (any of you) reason through your own argument(s) in your own words without appealing to outside sources to make that case? In other words, facts can be asserted but they do not, in and of themselves, prove or disprove anything. Whatever the facts may be, they simply constitute constituent elements of a much larger presentation.

Do you believe the Bible can (or does) contradict the facts of science? In other words, if something can be demonstrated to be factually true, can the Bible be read or otherwise interpreted to contradict that fact?

I'd ask the question in reverse, but I doubt you, @Carbon, or @ShepherdsPie believe science authoritative over scripture, so the authority of scripture is a given accepted by ALL (including myself).
Of course, but the interpretation of any given scripture is not. And that is where the rub is.

Of course, but the interpretation of any given scripture is not. And that is where the rub is.
Yes, the rub is Post 5 is wrong. There are as many different interpretations of scripture as there are theologies. What you probably mean to say is the proper exegesis of scripture is not disputable. As a consequence of that fact, the debate will boil down to who has practiced proper exegesis and who has added to or subtracted from scripture based on their pre-existing views of the earth's age (eisegesis).

For example, the very first rule of exegesis is to read the text of scripture exactly as written unless there is something in the text itself indicating a reason or warrant to do otherwise. In other words, if the text is read exactly as written..... then there will be no "interpretation." This is what ALL of us are supposed to be doing regardless of our respective point of view. Therefore, the statement....
...the interpretation of any given scripture is not....
...is incorrect.

And I'll provide an example taken from a prior discussion I had with another poster in an unrelated thread on the Genesis 1 use of "day." We, in modernity, normally measure a "day" as one rotation of the earth relative to the sun. In the case of the earth, that amounts to about 24 hours (give or take a few minutes). That is what most Christians mean when they use the word "day." That is what most young-earthers mean when they use the word, "day." They mean a 24-hour period of time, and that number of hours is determined by the rotation of the earth. The problem with that definition is 1) there was no sun for the first four days of creation and 2) a "day" is defined in Genesis 1 as evening to morning, not evening to evening or morning to morning. Those are the facts of the Genesis 1 report. If the text is read exactly as written, without any added interpretation, then the young-earther has a foundational problem, and immediate problem based on an added interpretation that is not supported by the text itself and, therefore, needs to be discarded in favor of what is stated.

And, in all likelihood, there will be a dispute over what I just posted because the there is disagreement over interpretation.
Of course, but the interpretation of any given scripture is not.
There will likely be plenty of debate about "interpretation" of any given scripture, but there shouldn't be. We should not start with "interpretation" to begin with. We should start with what is plainly stated and not add our biased interpretations.
And that is where the rub is.
Yep.

So.... it is best that we all start with what is explicitly stated and not add anything to or subtract anything from what is explicitly stated and not move on from what is stated until there is unanimous agreement. There is no sense continuing any conversation with those who deny what is plainly stated.

Josheb, go back and read the post I was responding to and then read my response. I am correct.
.... so the authority of scripture is a given accepted by ALL (including myself).
That is mostly correct. The authority of scripture is a given and is mostly accepted by all, even you. But as I said, the interpretation of any given scripture is not a given and certainly is not (almost ever) accepted by all, not even you.

Josheb, go back and read the post I was responding to and then read my response. I am correct.

That is mostly correct. The authority of scripture is a given....
No, the authority of scripture as originally written is a given. That doctrine does not assert the Bible is correct, or that one translation is correct and others not correct. Furthermore, the authority of scripture as an authority is predicated on a correct rendering of scripture. No one says all interpretations of scripture are equally valid, or equally authoritative.
and is mostly accepted by all, even you.
I accept the authority of scripture when correctly rendered, not the authority of scripture dependent on biased interpretations. I accept the authority of scripture when correctly rendered beginning with the reading of the text exactly as written without additions of subtractions unless the text itself indicates a reason and warrant for doing otherwise.
But as I said, the interpretation of any given scripture is not a given and certainly is not (almost ever) accepted by all, not even you.
Can you abide by the practice of reading the text exactly as written unless the text itself gives reason to do otherwise?

In recent post Carbon and ShepherdsPie seem to want to talk about the age of the earth and hinted at me starting a new post....so, here it is.
I suggested if you were interested, start a thread.
They both seemed to indicate they have biblical verses that support an old earth...by that I believe many millions or even several billions of years old.
We can speak for ourselves, thanks. :)
I ask where is the biblical support. Typically this theory ends up with a pre-agamic race of angels, their fall and the destruction of earth which is then re-done in Gen 1.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. Gen 1:1. and Onward.

I believe true science agrees with scripture. Why wouldn't it after all?

Both books (if you will) can be read side by side.

Josheb said:

I believe true science agrees with scripture. Why wouldn't it after all?

Just a bit of a tangent here: @Josheb I agree with your point there, but the problem is that we (or in this context, the scientific community) don't know what we are saying. Look for example at the periodic table; the structure makes sense and is supported to this day, but when we first came up with it, we had no idea what it really implied, nor what makes it true.

It's the same way with all our constructions, our notions and words. We don't know what we are talking about.

Not that you said otherwise, here, but...

The scientific community, and humans in general, have a bad habit of attributing substance to their best thoughts. Gravity, for example, we think we understand, but we have thought that from back in Newton's day. We attribute substance to what is merely (so far) empirical.

(In case you haven't noticed from past discussions, I have a bit of a soapbox to stand on with this subject, lol.)

Relevance: "Science" progresses in knowledge (and in mistakes), always changing, always (hopefully) improving. Scripture doesn't, yet it is the most "living" of the two. [True] Science may inform our understanding of some of Scripture, but it cannot contradict it.

[True] Science may inform our understanding of some of Scripture, but it cannot contradict it.
It can contradict one's (mis)understanding of some particular Scripture.

Just a bit of a tangent here: @Josheb I agree with your point there, but the problem is that we (or in this context, the scientific community) don't know what we are saying.
Incorrect. Many of the "facts" of science change about every 10-150 years but not all of them. A (significant) portion persists despite repeated testing and the revolution of new discovery. Newtonian physics, for example, has never been disproven despite the enormously revolutionary discoveries (uncoveries ;)) of relativity and quantum mechanics. A huge, gigantic pile of supposed fact was disproven in an instant, but Newton's uncovery,* Newton's math, the facts of gravity in the limited domain of earth persists. There may be additions to these facts yet to come, but there is no evidenceanything new will change the existing facts.

And, sadly, this get mucked up by Christians all the time.
Look for example at the periodic table; the structure makes sense and is supported to this day, but when we first came up with it, we had no idea what it really implied, nor what makes it true.
Bad example. Logically fallacious argument, too. Just because the reason for something's existence is not understood does not mean the existence is incorrect.
It's the same way with all our constructions, our notions and words.
Incorrect.
We don't know what we are talking about.
You may not, but most of us do. I will gladly conduct an experiment with you. I'll stand atop a 30-foot ladder while you sit below me. I will drop a 30-pound dumbbell 100 times and we'll count the number of times the dumbbell "falls" on you. The evidence will prove the fact and do so uniformly, without exception.
The scientific community, and humans in general, have a bad habit of attributing substance to their best thoughts.
And if and when that happens most of us here are competent enough to point out the attributional error.
Gravity, for example, we think we understand, but we have thought that from back in Newton's day. We attribute substance to what is merely (so far) empirical.
Really, really, really bad example. Newtonian views of gravity have not changed one fraction of a fact. We have built upon Newton's uncoveries, not denied them. In point of fact, Newtonian physics is simply one small portion of an ever-expanding much larger concept called "field theory."

We do not think we understand gravity in the Newtonian sense, we know we understand it. What we don't know is what else exists beyond his uncoveries.
Relevance: "Science" progresses in knowledge (and in mistakes),....
That statement contradicts everything you've posted. There is no "progress" from anything that does not exist. Once knowledge is conceded as existing sufficiently to progress from it you've begged the question and defeated your own argument. You do know something.

This entire branch of the discussion is important for two reasons: 1) The Bible is not a science textbook. It is no more a book on the universe's cosmology than it is a book on physics, botany, biology, zoology, or chemistry. The second reason, and perhaps the most important reason, is that the universe is knowable. The reason creation is knowable, and it is knowable because God has made it knowable. Not only is the universe made knowable, but God has also made creatures capable of knowing the knowable. This is the foundation of all epistemology.
...the problem is that we (or in this context, the scientific community) don't know what we are saying.
You've defeated your own argument from its inception. If what you've just said is correct, then you cannot know what you've just said.

It can contradict one's (mis)understanding of some particular Scripture.
Of course!

But most often the contradiction comes as a result in our human attributing of substance to our empirical deductions, and our speculations about meaning and uses of words, passages and themes in Scripture.

I wonder how how long “before the foundation of the world” is. This must have been the time when the dinosaurs roamed…

Lu

makesends said:
Just a bit of a tangent here: @Josheb I agree with your point there, but the problem is that we (or in this context, the scientific community) don't know what we are saying.
You've defeated your own argument from its inception. If what you've just said is correct, then you cannot know what you've just said.
Consider it a figure of speech. I don't mean that we know nothing, but by comparison with all the reality of what we are talking about, we don't know much. Sorry for not being more precise.
Incorrect. Many of the "facts" of science change about every 10-150 years but not all of them. A (significant) portion persists despite repeated testing and the revolution of new discovery. Newtonian physics, for example, has never been disproven despite the enormously revolutionary discoveries (uncoveries ;)) of relativity and quantum mechanics. A huge, gigantic pile of supposed fact was disproven in an instant, but Newton's uncovery,* Newton's math, the facts of gravity in the limited domain of earth persists. There may be additions to these facts yet to come, but there is no evidenceanything new will change the existing facts.

And, sadly, this get mucked up by Christians all the time.
Seems to me you are misunderstanding my point.

Persistent "facts" of science are continually being buttressed up and improved upon by way of scientific investigation, but they remain subject to new data. Truth, however, is only ever truth. And we have a long way to go to get to the bottom of any of that. Newton may have been right, but his was only a framework. Same goes with any scientific attempt at explaining anything —it's just a way to look at things.

I believe true science agrees with scripture.
I do not know what you mean by "true" science. It implies there exists something called false science, and false science is a contradiction in terms.
Why wouldn't it after all?
Yes, the facts of science will always agree with scripture when scripture is correctly understood. Science is nothing more than a type of revelation (see Psalm 19:1 or Romans 1:19-20, for example).
As a general principle that is correct. The problem is that much of what we think are the "facts" of science end up not being facts at all. We once thought illness was caused by an imbalance of humours in the body but that proved to be utter nonsense. We once thought the atom was the smallest possible particle but then some guys split one of those things open and a pile of stuff came out! We used to think the speed of light was a fast as anything could possibly go but that turned out not to be true.

When it comes to the earth's origin and age (which is supposed to be the topic of this thread) there are plenty of what are assumed to be facts that may not be facts. It is assumed the rate of expansion of the universe is fairly constant but that is not actually known as a fact. It is assumed the expansion rate of the universe is an accurate measure of its age. That might not be true, either. As I believe we can all agree, although scientific fact is efficacious within limits, it is the Bible that is the authority, not the other way around. When both are correctly understood they reconcile. Scripture and science never contradict. When there exist contradictions then either the science is wrong, or the theology is wrong (theology is supposed to be a scientific application of scripture to the subject of God). Faulty "lab" experiments are the equivalent of faulty exegesis. Confirmation bias exists in both domains. This is why I took issue with the premise of "interpretation."

We should not, at this early stage in the discussion, be discussing interpretation. We should be discussing the facts of scripture exactly as stated, beginning with Genesis 1-2. The Bible says everything was created in six days but the word "day" is defined in multiple ways in the whole of scripture and our modern scientific definition of a 24-hour period consistent with one rotation of the earth relative to the sun is completely nonsensical during the first four days because the sun was not made until day 4. A "day" must, therefore, be measured by some other metric. The text of Genesis one stipulates God's work was from evening to morning (ereb to yowm, or morning to evening) so, again, we have a clear statement right out of scripture the day is not a 24-hour period equal to one rotation of the earth relative to the (non-existent) sun. Those two facts have nothing to do with "interpretation." They are what is plainly, explicitly stated in the text itself. There is some modicum of meaning we can attach to these facts once we apply other passages from the whole of scripture, but right now we should be agreeing on what is plainly stated.....

...because there's no use in even attempting a discussion with those who do not or will not accept what is explicitly stated exactly as stated.

Persistent "facts" of science are continually being buttressed up and improved upon by way of scientific investigation...
Are you sure about that?

Back