• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

WHO EXACTLY IS THE CHURCH?

jeremiah1five

BIBLICAL CHRISTIANITY
Reaction score
Country
USA
@eclipseEventSigns

On another post in this forum, I made a comment identifying "Gentile Church" differentiating it from the Jewish Church in our present era of Times of the Gentiles, to which @eclipseEventSigns responded "there is no Gentile Church" in which he is attempting to identify "the Church" in the New Covenant writings as being a Church including both Jew and Gentile, which for the purpose of the beginnings of the Church from Pentecost onward to the destruction of the Jewish Temple I disagreed. After further consideration I have to agree with @eclipseEventSigns that [the] Gentile Church does not exist, which it doesn't. The term "Church" has a sole identification as being a term/word identifying Jews and not Gentiles and that the mention in the New Covenant writings where the word "Church" occurs always refers to the Jewish Church of people alone for the word finds its origin in the Hebrew Scriptures identifying the "Great Congregation" in the desert at the time of the Tabernacle and in all future mentions. The word in Greek itself "ekkelsia" means "called out [ones]" and this is exactly what God did in calling out His people and delivering them from bondage in Egypt. In my constant desire to be accurate where the Holy Scripture is concerned, I thought it necessary to bring out these facts and that although there is no such thing as a "Gentile Church", to be as true to Scripture as is my purpose and to bring out this teaching and clarify the biblical response and my position and these truths in my Biblical Christianity. Let me also clarify that this Feast is a one-day occurrence and I correct myself when I said it lasted for seven days, confusing it with another Feast that did last seven days. Therefore, I submit the following:

The Feast of Weeks, alternatively called the Feast of Harvest or Pentecost, celebrated the grain harvest and the renewal of the covenant. It is named for the seven weeks separating it from the Passover celebration. The Feast of Weeks celebrated the entrance into the promised land and its bounty (Lev 23:10).
The Feast of Weeks was marked by the offering of the firstfruits of the grain harvest. In contrast to the Passover feast, this grain offering explicitly included leaven (Lev 23:17). Meat offerings of bulls, a ram, and seven lambs were also required (Num 28:27). Deuteronomy indicates that the Feast of Weeks was to be celebrated at the temple once it had been established (Deut. 16:11). This makes the Feast of Weeks one of the pilgrimage feasts. The date of the feast is “from the day after the Sabbath” (Lev 23:15); it generally falls around the sixth of Sivan.
The Book of Jubilees indicates that the Feast of Weeks included a covenant-renewal ceremony. Thus, the festival may have (at one time) been called the Feast of Oaths (שְׁבֻעוֹת, shevu'oth) rather than the Feast of Weeks (שָׁבֻעוֹת, shavu'oth). The ceremony reflects the renewal of the covenant prior to the entry into the land (Deuteronomy) and after the conquest of the land (Josh. 24).

1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. Acts 2:1.

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls. Acts 2:41.

46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved. Acts 2:46–47.

Being at a Jewish Feast that required Jewish males to be present and the fact that this celebration drew in Jews from Gentile lands as the placing of the various tongues spoken in the early verses indicate on a map, it was these conversions and ones after that in which these Jews returned to their homes and synagogues in these various cities and towns (Corinth, Ephesus, Galatia, Philippi, etc.), which formed the core of Jewish Christian fellowships and the beginnings of the Jewish Church as covenanted and prophesied in the Hebrew Scriptures and the Church the Jesus Christ promised to build. And for the next four decades and beyond while the Temple remained everything about the events described in the New Covenant Scriptures clearly record that the Jews and Jewish Christians being affected by arrival of both Messiah and the Holy Spirit all things were seen through the lens of Judaism and a Jewish mindset as all things going to the New Covenant prophesied in Jeremiah 31:31-34, the New Covenant God made with the House of Israel (and Judah), true Biblical Christianity is contained within Jewish history, customs, and culture and that hard-core, uncircumcised Gentiles were not included in any of the Hebrew/Jewish Covenants God made with a people later to be identified as "children of Israel" and just "Israel." There is no mention in the Hebrew Scriptures of the Law, the Psalms, and the Prophets of God making covenant with any Gentile or seed of Gentiles and the fact that since the destruction of the Temple the world in part had entered an epoch of what is identified as the Times of the Gentiles, which in my estimation will continue until the destruction of the Gentile nations in the near future but has been evidenced by the bringing in of Gentiles to elect-salvation as prophesied in the Hebrew Scripture. In effect, God is saving hard-core, uncircumcised Gentiles without a covenant and for His own purposes. In conclusion, with 3000 Jews being saved on the Day of Pentecost and the Lord adding to His Church (of Jewish Christians) daily, and for the next four decades until destruction of the Temple in 70 A.D., it is not unreasonable to conclude the Church (of Jews) Christ promised to build would have upwards of over tens of thousands of born-again, Spirit-filled Jews that populated Jewish home churches until soon after the destruction of the Temple and that the Church was indeed founded upon Jewish apostles and Jewish prophets in general, and upon Jesus Christ specifically.
To reiterate, there is no such thing as @eclipseEventSigns says, a "Gentile Church."
The "Church" is a Jewish phenomenon and is populated predominantly by Jewish Christians as per covenant and prophecy.
Let those that read and understand these things I write come to the knowledge of the truth.

If you are serious about being accurate where the Holy Scriptures are concerned, please listen to what I, and many others on this forum, are saying. The Church today is made up of both believing Jews and Gentiles. As the Apostle Paul stating over and over again that there is no longer Jew and Gentile, but all are one in Christ. In Christ, God has broken down the wall that divided the two and reconciled them as one people. Please read carefully and prayerfully Paul's letters, especially Galatians and Ephesians.

Also read the whole of Acts, especially from chapter 10 onwards, where the disciples come to the realisation that the Gentiles are also included in the people of God. Hear what Peter says:

"Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, 35 but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him." Acts 10:34-35

And hear what happened:
While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word. 45 And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles. 46 For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter declared, 47 “Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to remain for some days.
Acts 10: 44-48

The Gentiles received the Holy Spirit just as the Jews had. And they were baptised - the sign of the new covenant - just as the Jews were.

Consider also, Jesus told his disciples:
“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20

Christ is not divided. His body - the Church - is made up of people from all nations - i.e. both Jews and Gentiles - anyone who believes in His Name. Why then do you claim otherwise?

If you are serious about being accurate where the Holy Scriptures are concerned, please listen to what I, and many others on this forum, are saying. The Church today is made up of both believing Jews and Gentiles.
Actually, there is only one Church in Scripture and reality consisting of covenant Jews. As I tried to respond to @eclipseEventSigns in calling hard-core, uncircumcised non-covenant Gentiles a "Church" he took issue in my differentiating between both groups and upon further reflection I agreed with him since I believe in God's Sovereign election and the fact that those hard-core, uncircumcised, non-covenant Gentiles are "called out" (Gr. "ekkesia") of the world just as the Jews were and are. Don't you understand that in Scripture God has covenant with Abraham the Hebrew and a seed that would eventually in time be identified as the children of Israel and that everything in God's salvation with this people that they receive 'salvation [is] of the LORD' due to that covenant. I find no covenant God made with Gentiles in the Hebrew Scriptures of the Law, Psalms, and Prophets. And no one has been able to show me through the Hebrew Scriptures where the Jewish covenants are described of this fact. Back in the first four decades or so while the Temple stood everything that happened which Luke records in Acts occurred to the Jewish people, and because of their close proximity to covenant Israel, circumcised Gentile proselytes who can be the "Gentiles" mentioned in New Covenant writings unless the context identifies them as not being proselyes.
As the Apostle Paul stating over and over again that there is no longer Jew and Gentile, but all are one in Christ. In Christ, God has broken down the wall that divided the two and reconciled them as one people. Please read carefully and prayerfully Paul's letters, especially Galatians and Ephesians.
You want to quote Saul's words to Jewish Christians in the Galatian region in Galatians 3:28-29 as proof of what?
Also read the whole of Acts, especially from chapter 10 onwards, where the disciples come to the realisation that the Gentiles are also included in the people of God. Hear what Peter says:

"Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, 35 but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him." Acts 10:34-35
OK. Now unless I'm missing something does Peter claim them as "Church"? Does Peter claim them as being in covenant with God in the places in the Hebrew Scriptures where the covenants are described as being in covenant along with Israel?
And hear what happened:
While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word. 45 And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles. 46 For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter declared, 47 “Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to remain for some days.
Acts 10: 44-48
Does Peter identify them as part of the Jewish covenants described in the Hebrew Scriptures? I don't discount hard-core, uncircumcised, non-covenant Gentiles being saved - and they were, but the Church that Christ was building was populated by Jews and circumcised Gentile proselytes and except for a few hard-core, uncircumcised, non-covenant Gentiles the Church of "called out [ones]" were predominantly Jewish. And the fact that Cornelius was one circumcision away from being accepted by Jews as being one of them was a God-Fearer. He was not a hard-core, uncircumcised, non-covenant idol-worshiper like those that are called "Gentile" at the time. The lesson of Cornelius' conversion was not that he was Gentile, but that he received the Holy Spirit of Promise ("
as on us at the beginning" Acts 11:15) and they didn't have to be circumcised - which was the preparation for receiving the Holy Spirit of promise within the covenant. Meaning that through the process of time since the Abrahamic Covenant in which circumcision was required as a sign of being in this covenant, the promise of God of "Emmanuel" was given to circumcised covenant Israel through covenant and prophecies and the astounding thing that happened before Peter's eyes and those Jews that went with him to Cornelius' house was the Promised Holy Spirit being poured out on not an untrained, unassociated, hard-core, uncircumcised, non-covenant Gentile but one that was uncircumcised period. This also seems to conclude that at the time if God saved anyone who was Gentile that they were either circumcised proselyte (which included certain acts and vows to be Israel who were not Israel) or someone in close association to Israel like a God-Fearer who did everything with regard to Israel except circumcision. The take-away from what is revealed with regard to Cornelius in that he received the promised Holy Spirit, and he didn't even have to be circumcised.
The Gentiles received the Holy Spirit just as the Jews had. And they were baptised - the sign of the new covenant - just as the Jews were.
As we would have to take it on a case-by-case basis those Gentiles that received the Holy Spirit of promise which was promised to Israel were those like Cornelius who was a God-Fearer and did everything to be associated with Israel (vows, sacrifices, etc.) except circumcision or they were already circumcised and were proselyte. There is nowhere in the New Covenant description in Jeremiah 31:31-34 of 'baptism' being a "sign" of the covenant the same as circumcision being a sign of the Abrahamic Covenant. In the Abrahamic Covenant God clearly declares circumcision as a sign of that covenant but such designation is clearly missing from the New Covenant description. The implication being that the New Covenant is made by God with the House of Israel whom the males are already circumcised, which adds to the astonishment of Peter that the Holy Spirit was poured out on an uncircumcised God-Fearer, and he didn't have to be circumcised. But I find nowhere in the New Covenant Scriptures of God pouring out His Holy Spirit on any hard-core, fresh-out-of-idol-worshiping, uncircumcised, non-covenant Gentiles. The Gentile in question receiving the Holy Spirit of Promise was either prepared by God (God-Fearer, and the like) or a circumcised proselyte.
Consider also, Jesus told his disciples:
“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20
That's one of the problems in today's churches. Christians try to make disciples of people that are unconverted. They try to make a goat or wolf into a sheep. Before one can truly be a disciple of Christ, they must first be born-again, and I don't see this requirement here. So, it must be prophetic in nature. Second, "nations" is used of the Hebrews (Israel) just as well as it is of Ishmael's and Esau descendants. Here is my proof:

6 And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee. Gen. 17:6.

and here:

16 And I will bless her [Sarai], and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her. Gen. 17:16.

Gentiles do not come from the loins of Abraham and Sarah, nor do Gentiles "come out of thee" (Abraham and Sarah.) But a son and grandson of Ishmael and Esau, respectively, do "come out of thee" (Abraham) and in great numbers that presently they are called Arab (Muslim), and they presently encircle Israel. There's King of the Saudi's, King Bashar al Assad of Syria to name a couple.
Christ is not divided. His body - the Church - is made up of people from all nations - i.e. both Jews and Gentiles - anyone who believes in His Name. Why then do you claim otherwise?
The true Church of Christ is the one that finds its origin in the desert at the time of the Tabernacle called the "Great Congregation" which began to be described by God a Church of "called out [ones]" of over 3 million Jews who were "called out" from their bondage in Egypt. Since there are no Gentiles mentioned in the Abrahamic and Mosaic Covenants and Christ was prophesied and sent to the lost sheep of the House of Israel, and to Israel He came in fulfillment of covenant and prophecy, the result of Church which Christ was to build was populated by Jews in the first four decades before the destruction of the Temple.

Now, I notice you don't challenge any of my points but rather submit your own personal belief on this subject. Care to take my points and challenge them with Scripture and reason?

@eclipseEventSigns

On another post in this forum, I made a comment identifying "Gentile Church" differentiating it from the Jewish Church in our present era of Times of the Gentiles, to which @eclipseEventSigns responded "there is no Gentile Church" in which he is attempting to identify "the Church" in the New Covenant writings as being a Church including both Jew and Gentile, which for the purpose of the beginnings of the Church from Pentecost onward to the destruction of the Jewish Temple I disagreed................

The "Church" is a Jewish phenomenon and is populated predominantly by Jewish Christians as per covenant and prophecy.
Sloppy logic that is based on a selective use of partial scripture. The "assembly" (Hebrew = qahal; Greek = ecclesia) existed prior to the existence of Jews and in the New Testament it included Gentiles all under the same group called the "ecclesia." There are nearly twice as many mentions of Gentiles than the Jews in the epistolary and the chief narratives mentioning the Jews (1 Corinthians and Romans) treats them as outsiders to the ecclesia, not among the Church.
And for the next four decades and beyond while the Temple remained everything about the events described in the New Covenant Scriptures clearly record that the Jews and Jewish Christians being affected by arrival of both Messiah and the Holy Spirit all things were seen through the lens of Judaism and a Jewish mindset as all things going to the New Covenant prophesied in Jeremiah 31:31-34, the New Covenant God made with the House of Israel (and Judah), true Biblical Christianity is contained within Jewish history, customs, and culture and that hard-core, uncircumcised Gentiles were not included in any of the Hebrew/Jewish Covenants God made with a people later to be identified as "children of Israel" and just "Israel."
Again, what the op fails to mention is that most of the OT prophecies and the gospels spoke of this in terms of judgment and destruction. The promise of destruction was just as much a part of the Mosaic Covenant as were the promises of blessing. Read Deuteronomy 28.

Deuteronomy 28:15-24
But it shall come about, if you do not obey the LORD your God, to observe to do all His commandments and His statutes with which I charge you today, that all these curses will come upon you and overtake you: Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the country. Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading bowl. Cursed shall be the offspring of your body and the produce of your ground, the increase of your herd and the young of your flock. Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out. The LORD will send upon you curses, confusion, and rebuke, in all you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and until you perish quickly, on account of the evil of your deeds, because you have forsaken Me. The LORD will make the pestilence cling to you until He has consumed you from the land where you are entering to possess it. The LORD will smite you with consumption and with fever and with inflammation and with fiery heat and with the sword and with blight and with mildew, and they will pursue you until you perish. The heaven which is over your head shall be bronze, and the earth which is under you, iron. The LORD will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down on you until you are destroyed.

Curses, not just blessings were promised. Destruction, not just life and prosperity were promised. The promises are eternal. That means the destruction is just as eternal as any blessing. Judaizers like to ignore this aspect of the covenant(s). This perverts God's word and mocks God. It is one of the many things God cited in His Law and prophets for which the curses come.

The denied and then murdered God's anointed one.
There is no mention in the Hebrew Scriptures of the Law, the Psalms, and the Prophets of God making covenant with any Gentile or seed of Gentiles and the fact that since the destruction of the Temple the world in part had entered an epoch of what is identified as the Times of the Gentiles, which in my estimation will continue until the destruction of the Gentile nations in the near future but has been evidenced by the bringing in of Gentiles to elect-salvation as prophesied in the Hebrew Scripture.
Completely incorrect.

Hosea 1:9
And the LORD said, “Name him Lo-ammi, because you are not My people, and I am not your God.”

Hosea 2:23
I will sow her for Myself in the land. I will also have compassion on her who had not obtained compassion, And I will say to those who were not My people, 'You are My people!' And they will say, 'You are my God!'"

Paul referenced Hosea to teach...

Romans 9:30-33
What shall we say, then? That Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness have attained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith; but that Israel who pursued a law that would lead to righteousness did not succeed in reaching that law. Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as if it were based on works. They have stumbled over the stumbling stone, as it is written, “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense; and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”

And Jeremiah 31-33 is not limited to the Jews. The fact of that narrative is Jeremiah explicitly stated descendants of Jacob and David would NOT be the rule over the descendants of the Abraham (pre-Jewish).

Jeremiah 33:23-26
And the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah, saying, "Have you not observed what this people have spoken, saying, 'The two families which the LORD chose, He has rejected them'? Thus they despise My people, no longer are they as a nation in their sight. Thus says the LORD, 'If My covenant for day and night stand not, and the fixed patterns of heaven and earth I have not established, then I would reject the descendants of Jacob and David My servant, not taking from his descendants rulers over the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. But I will restore their fortunes and will have mercy on them.'"

Notice this appeals to covenant God made for "day and night." That would be long, long before Exodus, the Law, and the existence of Jews or Israel.
Let those that read and understand these things I write come to the knowledge of the truth.
Yes, let those who read understand this op completely fails to consider pre-Law scripture and a lot that is said in the New Testament. Re-read the op. Look and see for yourselves how God's word is used selectively, and claims are made that are not consistent with the whole of scripture.

There is and has always been only one Church. It is Christ and his body of believers, those who call upon him as both their Lord and their Savior by grace through faith. There is no Jew or Gentile in Christ and not all Israel is Israel.

Now, I notice you don't challenge any of my points but rather submit your own personal belief on this subject. Care to take my points and challenge them with Scripture and reason?
I have challenged you on your points in other threads and you ignored me. I don't have the time to go through it again.

I have challenged you on your points in other threads and you ignored me. I don't have the time to go through it again.
No, you've only posted your belief and not addressed any points I've made.
Then, you'll repeat yourself.

Back