• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

What is grace?

What kinds of grace are there?
"Saving" grace and "Sanctifying" grace come to mind.

The EO call grace the "energies" of God, I believe (although they quickly point out that grace isn't "stuff"). Do we have any EO's as members here, because (if memory serves) their understanding of God's grace is very broad in scope, much more so than Catholic's and Protestant's understanding of it, so it would be interesting to hear what they have to say about this.

--Papa Smurf

What is grace?

Thanks
Grace is the working of God's power to effect His will, freely given, especially in the believer but not restricted to.

Acts 4:33
And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all.
2 Corinthians 12:9
And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Ephesians 3:7
of which I became a minister according to the gift of the grace of God given to me by the effective working of His power.

It is this link between grace and power why God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble.

James 4:6
But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.”
1 Peter 5:5
Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.”

There is what my pastor calls logistical grace (I think it is also known as common grace) which is given to all men to keep them alive.

Matthew 5:45
that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

Then there is saving grace which, I think pretty much speaks for itself.

Ephesians 2:8
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,

That's all I can think of off the top of my head except to add as per the James quote above, while grace is freely given, it is also given in measure.

Does not say what it actually is?
Grace is God saving you, sanctifying, setting you aside for Himself, apart from anything you could ever possibly do. From a guilty, undeserving state, while even hating God who saves you.

Can you understand all this? Unless we can understand the measure of and how sinful sin is and how holy God is; we cannot truly understand grace. I cannot understand it.

What about

Jn 1:16-17
16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.

17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Jn 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

What is grace?

Thanks

What is "grace" in general, or what is "God's Grace".

So, if the question is regarding God's Grace, then this question leads us to how the Grace of God, deals with sinful humanity.

A.) The Cross of Christ

This is the Grace of God, whereby God became one of us, to offer Salvation, as "the Gift of Salvation" and "the Gift of righteousness" to all of us.

Why is it "Grace"?
Its because we don't deserve it., yet God offers it, to us all, and Jesus had to die so that by His death on the Cross, we are offered this Grace of God.,,, as a GIFT.

Look at these verses, as they explain God's Grace, regarding the context of Salvation.

2 Corinthians 5:19

John 3:17

Grace is God saving you, sanctifying, setting you aside for Himself, apart from anything you could ever possibly do. From a guilty, undeserving state, while even hating God who saves you.

Can you understand all this? Unless we can understand the measure of and how sinful sin is and how holy God is; we cannot truly understand grace. I cannot understand it.
Are you saying it is the life of God in us?
Thanks

So, if the question is regarding God's Grace, then this question leads us to how the Grace of God, deals with sinful humanity.

A.) The Cross of Christ

This is the Grace of God, whereby God became one of us, to offer Salvation, as "the Gift of Salvation" and "the Gift of righteousness" to all of us.

Why is it "Grace"?
Its because we don't deserve it., yet God offers it, to us all, and Jesus had to die so that by His death on the Cross, we are offered this Grace of God.,,, as a GIFT.

Look at these verses, as they explain God's Grace, regarding the context of Salvation.

I agree but we don’t deserve any of God’s benefits

Not owed anything.
Not entitled to anything.

All we have that is our own is sin and it’s due punishment

But we owe God for creating us!
And Christ for redeeming us!
And the Holy Spirit who sanctified us in the waters of baptism!

Thanks

What about

Jn 1:16-17
16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.

17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Jn 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
What about it?

A.) The Cross of Christ

Why is it "Grace"?

Grace is not offered. If it were offered, it would require works to complete it. Which cancels grace

Back