• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

WCF 8.1: Christ the Chosen Mediator

Carbon

Admin
Reaction score
Faith
Reformed
Country
USA
Marital status
Married
Politics
Conservative
It pleased God, in His eternal purpose, to choose and ordain the Lord Jesus, His only begotten Son, to be the Mediator between God and man,the Prophet, Priest, and King, the Head and Savior of His Church, the Heir of all things,and Judge of the world: unto whom He did from all eternity give a people, to be His seed and to be by Him in time redeemed, called, justified, sanctified, and glorified. WCF 8.1

Isa 42:1; John 3:16; 2 Tim 2:5; 1 Pet 1:19-20. • . Acts 3:22. • Heb 5:5-6. • Psa 2:6; Luke 1:33. • Eph 5:23. • Heb 1:2. • Acts 17:31. • Psa 22:30; Isa 53:10; John 17:6. • Isa 55:4-5; 1 Cor 1:30; 1 Tim 2:6.

unto whom He did from all eternity give a people, to be His seed and to be by Him in time redeemed, called, justified, sanctified, and glorified.
The covenant between the Father and Son (covenant of redemption) "is the foundation of the whole of salvation" Herman Witsius.
This is backed by scripture.

Agreement between the Father and Son provides the basis for the covenant of redemption. Scripture teaches clearly, that the Father chose the objects of mercy, and gave them to the Son to be redeemed; the Son purchased redemption for them; and the Holy Spirit applies the purchased redemption upon them.

It pleased God, in His eternal purpose, to choose and ordain the Lord Jesus, His only begotten Son, to be the Mediator between God and man,the Prophet, Priest, and King, the Head and Savior of His Church
Isaiah 42:1.
“Behold, My Servant, whom I uphold;
My chosen one in whom My soul delights.
I have put My Spirit upon Him;
He will bring forth justice to the nations.

It pleased God, in His eternal purpose, to choose and ordain the Lord Jesus, His only begotten Son, to be the Mediator between God and man,the Prophet, Priest, and King, the Head and Savior of His Church, the Heir of all things
The first stone of building this church was a promise of a Savior.
Genesis 3:15
And I will make enemies
Of you and the woman,
And of your offspring and her Descendant;
He shall bruise you on the head,
And you shall bruise Him on the heel.”

Here was mercy. And mercy was laid upon mercy.
And upon promising this mercy was laid "a quickening mercy" whereby our lost first parents we able to believe the promise. And upon the quickening mercy was laid pardoning mercy to them and again, upon that sanctifying mercy, and mercy to establish them in the faith, and finally, at length, glorifying mercy.

And the cement holding this building all together is the blood of Christ.
. 22 And almost all things are cleansed with blood, according to the Law, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

23 Therefore it was necessary for the copies of the things in the heavens to be cleansed with these things, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.
Hebrews 9.

24 Jesus, on the other hand, because He continues forever, holds His priesthood permanently. 25 Therefore He is also able to save forever those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them. Heb 7:24-25.

The covenant between the Father and Son (covenant of redemption) "is the foundation of the whole of salvation" Herman Witsius.
This is backed by scripture.

Agreement between the Father and Son provides the basis for the covenant of redemption. Scripture teaches clearly, that the Father chose the objects of mercy, and gave them to the Son to be redeemed; the Son purchased redemption for them; and the Holy Spirit applies the purchased redemption upon them.
And I thought a covenant was between God and His people with Christ’s meditation! By providing the union by His life, grace, and spirit!

Is Christ the high priest?
Is Christ the king?
Is Christ the head of the church?

Is Christ the high priest?
Is Christ the king?
Is Christ the head of the church?
Amen.

I would offer. .

Is Peter the Christ?

Is Christ the invisible head?

Did the head in Mathew 16 work in Peter when Peter rebuked the God of glory an forbid the Son of man, Jesus from doing the will of the invisible head, the Holy Father?

Sounds like the gates of hell did prevail against the church . Peter was forgiven of his blasphemy against the Son of man, Jesus .

What lesson did Peter learn after the lord rebuked him again and again . Peter . . a slower learner like myself ? . I would think a warning for believers Not to think of any man above that which is written in the law and prophets

False prophets false apostles sent with false prophecy oral traditons of the fathers dying mankind .

I was just reading this, @Carbon--then I saw your post.

Chapter VIII:

Of Christ the Mediator
WCF 8

WCF 8.1

8.1. It pleased God, in His eternal purpose, to choose and ordain the Lord Jesus, His only begotten Son, to be the Mediator between God and man,1 the Prophet,2 Priest,3 and King,4 the Head and Savior of His Church,5 the Heir of all things,6 and Judge of the world:7 unto whom He did from all eternity give a people, to be His seed,8 and to be by Him in time redeemed, called, justified, sanctified, and glorified.9

WCF 8.2

8.2. The Son of God, the second person of the Trinity, being very and eternal God, of one substance and equal with the Father, did, when the fullness of time was come, take upon Him man’s nature,10 with all the essential properties, and common infirmities thereof, yet without sin;11 being conceived by the power of the Holy Ghost, in the womb of the virgin Mary, of her substance. 12 So that two whole, perfect, and distinct natures, the Godhead and the manhood, were inseparably joined together in one person, without conversion, composition, or confusion.13 Which person is very God, and very man, yet one Christ, the only Mediator between God and man.14

WCF 8.3

8.3. The Lord Jesus, in His human nature thus united to the divine, was sanctified, and anointed with the Holy Spirit, above measure,15 having in Him all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge;16 in whom it pleased the Father that all fullness should dwell;17 to the end that, being holy, harmless, undefiled, and full of grace and truth,18 He might be thoroughly furnished to execute the office of a Mediator and Surety.19 Which office He took not unto Himself, but was thereunto called by His Father,20 who put all power and judgment into His hand, and gave Him commandment to execute the same.21

Christ the Holy Spirt of God worked in the Son of man, Jesus .The Father is not the Son of man .

God is not a man .

The goal of Satan to deceive all the nations that God is a Jewish man as King of kings . He fell in a pit , (Revelation 20)

The Bible says mankind has never seen the supreme being in person nor heard the
sound of His own voice.

The Bible also says the supreme being abides in solitude; hidden from view by the
intensity of an impenetrable illumination.

If that's correct, it would mean that every instance in the Old Testament wherein
it's said God spoke and/or appeared, was neither the actual voice nor the actual
appearance of the supreme being.

Just think: in all that time, in all those many centuries, from Genesis to Malachi,
mankind's contact with the supreme being has never even once been of a third
kind, rather, all those contacts with the supreme being have been entirely indirect
via things like apparitions, dreams, angels, and theophanies.

Theophanies are quite a level above James Cameron's avatars. Theophanies aren't
vehicles and/or artificial people, rather, they are 100% fully functioning humans
who can be thought of as God's interaction with mankind in safe mode.

The Old Testament's theophanies are very useful for preparing a Bible reader's
mind to buy into the ultimate theophany: Christ Jesus.

John 1:1 . . In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the
Word was God.

John 1:14 . .The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.

The Word's flesh is a very unique theophany. Those others in the Old Testament
were pop-ups, so to speak, whereas the Word's flesh can trace its human origin all
the way back to Adam, i.e. Christ Jesus is one of Adam's many paternal grandsons,
ergo: the Word's theophany is our fellow man whereas those Old Testament
theophanies were nobody's fellow man.

Heb 2:16-17 . . For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham's descendants.
For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he
might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God

Pop-ups have no brothers, but Jesus does because Abraham is just as much his
paternal grandfather as all other Jewish men.
_

.Theophany's are used in parables figurative speech that compares the temporal seen to or with the unseen eternal. faith to faith. The unseen to the same spiritual .

Moses and Elijah are used that way in that parable to represent the law and prophets (sola scriptura) The father speaking thorough the theophany saying "listen to sola scriptura". Peter desired to build temple for a theophany that has no DNA.

I think it is why Jesus the son of man came in signified sinful flesh to do what a theophany could not put away the desire of the flesh lust eye lust flesh .

Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

Hebrews 7 King James Version7 For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace; Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.

Genesis 14:18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.

Psalm 110:4 The Lord hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest (Son of man Jesus) for ever after the order of Melchizedek.. . .the unseen order.

Back