• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

The Lord Jesus affirmed that He is the proper recipient of prayer

Fred

Well Known Member
Reaction score
1. Mark 14:62

There are at least 5 examples where the Lord Jesus affirmed that He is the proper recipient of prayer. I will first address Mark 14:62, and then, Lord willing, get to the other 4 examples.

Mark 14:62
And Jesus said, “I am; and you shall see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of power, and coming with the clouds of heaven."

Daniel 7:13-14
(13) I kept looking in the night visions, an behold, with the clouds of heaven One like a Son of Man was coming. And He came up to the Ancient of Days and was presented before Him.
(14) And to Him was given dominion, glory and kingdom, that all peoples, nations and men of every language might serve Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion which will not pass away; and His kingdom is one which will not be destroyed.

In Mark 14:62 the Lord Jesus identified Himself as the "Son of Man" from Daniel 7:13. According to Daniel 7:14, the Lord Jesus is the proper recipient of pelach ("serve").

One of the ways Daniel rendered pelach unto God (6:16) was by his prayers (6:10).
Daniel 6:10, 16
(10) Now when Daniel knew that the document was signed, he entered his house (now in his roof chamber he had windows open toward Jerusalem); and he continued kneeling on his knees three times a day, praying and giving thanks before his God, as he had been doing previously.
(16) Then the king gave orders, and Daniel was brought in and cast into the lions’ den. The king spoke and said to Daniel, “Your God whom you constantly serve will Himself deliver you.”

Since the Lord Jesus is the proper recipient of pelach (Daniel 7:14) means He taught that He is the proper recipient of prayer (cf. Daniel 6:10, 16).

2. John 5:23

John 5:23
So that all will honor the Son even as they honor the Father.
He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.

The Greek word for honor is timaō. One of the ways the Lord Jesus honored the Father (John 8:49) was by praying to Him (Matthew 11:25). Since the Father is honored by our prayers to Him, so too is the Son honored by our prayers to Him.
Expository Dictionary of Bible Words: Honoring God in the sense of worshiping and reverencing him in a right spirit is affirmed in John 5:23. This attitude is perfectly illustrated by Jesus' honoring his heavenly Father in John 8:49 (Honor - τιμάω, page 407, Stephen D. Renn).

If a person claims they honor the Father but refuses to pray to Him, then they are not really honoring the Father. In the same way, if a person claims they honor the Lord Jesus but refuses to pray to Him then they are not really honoring the Lord Jesus.

This equality of worship by all in reference to the Lord Jesus and in reference to the Father will never end.
John 5:23
All will honor the Son even as they honor the Father.
Revelation 5:13
And every created thing which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all things in them, I heard saying, “To Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, be blessing and honor and glory and dominion forever and ever.”

Charles Spurgeon: Depend upon it, my hearer, you never will go to heaven unless you are prepared to worship Jesus Christ as God. They are all doing it there: you will have to come to it, and if you entertain the notion that he is a mere man, or that he is anything less than God, I am afraid you will have to begin at the beginning and learn what true religion means. You have a poor foundation to rest upon.
http://www.thedailyspurgeon.com/2012/01/true-god-from-true-god.html

3. John 14:14

John 14:14
If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.

The Lord Jesus teaches that He is to be addressed in prayer in John 14:14. The same Greek word for ask is aiteō and it is also used in reference to praying to the Father in John 15:16. This demonstrates the Lord Jesus and the Father are equally the proper recipients of prayer (cf. John 5:23).

1. Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (TDNT): The unity of the Son with the Father finds expressions in the fact that prayer in the name of Jesus can be directed to either Father or Son (5:276, onoma, H. Bietenhard).
2. Robert Reymond: Jesus declared that he will answer the prayers of his disciples (John 14:13), but equally significant for our purpose, he represents himself as One to whom prayers may properly be addressed. In verse 14, Jesus stated again that he himself will answer his disciples' prayers - surely an implicit claim to deity since one would have to be divine to hear, in all the languages of the world, the myriads of prayers being offered up to him at any one moment and then wisely to answer each prayer (A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Faith, pages 232-233).

This asking (aiteō) the Lord Jesus in prayer is also taught by John in his first epistle.

1 John 5:13-15
(13) These things have I written unto you who believe in the Name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life.
(14) And this is the confidence that we have in Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He heareth us:
(15) And if we know that He hears us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked from Him.

All the pronouns and the asking presented in boldface above refer back to the Son of God as the proper recipient of prayer.

Last edited:
The word prayer is never used in conjunction with speaking to Jesus in all of scripture. When Jesus taught his disciples how to pray, he plainly taught them to direct their prayers to the Father. Throughout the Old and New Testament, when God is prayed to there are no examples of Jesus being prayed to. It simply doesn't exist in all of scripture. Beware of false doctrines expressed by the OP of this thread. I hope this helps someone.

Matt 6
6But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

9So then, this is how you should pray:
‘Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be Your name.

Last edited:
Last edited:
3. John 14:14
4. Matthew 9:38 (cf. Luke 10:2)

Matthew 9:38
Therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into His harvest.

It is important to note that within the same conversation with His disciples Jesus makes clear that the Lord of the harvest that is to be besought in prayer is to be feared because of the righteous judgement He will render unto the unsaved.
Matthew 10:28
Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew later informs us this judgment by the Lord of the harvest is in reference to the Lord Jesus.
Matthew 25:31, 41
(31) But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne.
(41) Then He will also say to those on His left, Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels.

Matthew 9:38 ---------------> Matthew 10:28 ------> Matthew 25:31, 41
The Lord of the harvest -------> Fear Him -----------> The Son of Man

Matthew goes on to inform us that Jesus sends them out which indicates He is the Lord of the Harvest.
Matthew 10:5, 16
(5) These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans.
(16) Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves.

Matthew 23:34
Therefore, behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city.

The last passage mentioned includes a future sending of Christians after the death of Jesus. Being the Head of the Church He would continue to send them. Therefore, He is to be besought (prayed to) for this very purpose (cf. Acts 1:24-26; 13:1-2; 14:23; 15:40).

The same account of Matthew 9:38 is found in the Gospel of Luke.
Luke uses the same Greek word for "appointed" (anadeiknymi) - found only twice in all of the New Testament - in association with the "Lord" in reference to Jesus in the prayer to Him in the first chapter of his second book.
Luke 10:1-2
(1) Now after this the Lord appointed seventy others, and sent them in pairs ahead of Him to every city and place where He Himself was going to come.
(2) And He was saying to them, The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.
Acts 1:24-25
(24) And they prayed and said, You, Lord , who know the hearts of all men, show which one of these two You have chosen
(25) to occupy this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.

Furthermore, just as Luke affirms the sending of workers into the harvest by the Lord Jesus in Luke 10:1, so too is this theme used in Acts 1 in the choosing of the new apostle (Matthias) by the same Lord for this very same purpose (cf. 13:1-2; 14:23; 15:40).
https://christcentered.community.forum/threads/mystery-of-the-most-holy-trinity.1317/page-4#post-52902

Last edited:
You can believe that.
I believe it because that's what the Bible says. Christians follow Jesus' instructions to pray to the Father in Matt 6. How about you?

I pray to the Son as well.
He never said to do that, Peter, John, Paul, or God never said to do that. Perhaps you have an idol.

Which does not contradict post 3.

Prove otherwise.
Post 4 dominates your thread buddy. Jesus told them how to pray, addressing the Father. You are telling us to pray differently than Jesus. Therefore you're wrong.

He never said to do that, Peter, John, Paul, or God never said to do that. Perhaps you have an idol.
Do you understand what "Immanuel" means?

John 14:14 makes it is easy to see that Jesus is the proper recipient of prayer.
Debunked by comment 4. Did they disobey Jesus?

Back