• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

THE CHURCH CALLED ISRAEL: Pt. 2

jeremiah1five

BIBLICAL CHRISTIANITY
Reaction score
Country
USA
The Mosaic Covenant:

5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:
6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel. Ex 19:4–6.

In Exodus 20 God speaks directly to the people of Israel these words:

1 And God spake all these words, saying, 2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Ex 20:1–2.

God then lays out His commandments to the people of Israel continuing the covenant God made with Abraham. (Ex. 20:3-17.) It is to be called the “book of the covenant” (Ex. 24:7), and the “blood of the covenant” (Ex. 24:8), a covenant that will pre-figure Israel’s Redeemer and Messiah (Greek: “Christ.”)

While Moses is up in the Mount God gives him instructions for the building of a Tabernacle which will “house” the Presence of the LORD:

8 And let them make me a sanctuary; that I may dwell among them.
9 According to all that I shew thee, after the pattern of the tabernacle, and the pattern of all the instruments thereof, even so shall ye make it. Ex. 25:8–9.

In Leviticus Moses speaks to the children of Israel:

4 And Moses spake unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, saying, This is the thing which the Lord commanded, saying, Ex. 35:4.

The Hebrew word for “congregation” is ʿēdâ
This word means [Strong’s] H#5712 feminine of H#5707 (`ed) in the original sense of fixture; a stated assemblage (specifically a concourse, or generically a family or crowd.)
The Greek word translated as “church” in the KJV is ekklēsia.

from a compound of G#1537 (ek) and a derivative of G#2564 (kaleo); a calling out, i.e. (concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both.)

This Greek word corresponds to God “calling out” the children of Israel out of Egypt. It also corresponds to Israel’s Messiah in that God “called out” His Son out of Egypt.

The Prophecy:
When Israel was a child, then I loved him, And called my son out of Egypt. Hosea 11:1.

And the Fulfillment:
15 And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son. Mt, 2:15.

The “Great Congregation” and “Church” of God are the children of Israel. They are the “called out [ones]” of God. They are the "Great Congregation" of over 3 million covenant people in the desert at the time of the Tabernacle.

After Moses died Joshua led the children of Israel across the Jordan River and into a land God promised them. Joshua with God’s direction and help defeated those that occupied the land of Canaan. God established His people in that land. But in time the children of Israel did not remain faithful to God. They ignored God’s command to “not mingle with the Gentiles nor learn their ways” and soon were marrying their daughters and took on the practice of worshiping their idols and inanimate gods. God raised up Judges to lead His people as the covenant history of Israel unfolded. God also sent many prophets to His Chosen people to direct them back to Himself but in every case, they killed their prophets and brought God’s anger upon themselves.

Back