• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Sumerian tablets

Mantis

Freshman
Reaction score
What do you all think of the Sumerian tablets? They have a similar story but with one God that made Demi gods. There was a global flood. Two brothers, Enlil and Enki were some the Demi gods and “Enki” is thought to be Jesus. Enlil created humans and regretted it and flooded the whole earth. Enki was for the humans.

I am a firm believer in Jesus and am wondering if this is all deception or if this is really part of our human past. I listen to many arguments and some very convincing that YHWH was a fallen angel that claimed to be the most high God but isn’t. That’s why he is jealous, because there is one higher than him. For instance when Jesus said something like “who would give there children snakes when they ask for food” - something that YHWH did to the Israelites in the Old Testament. There are lots of statements like this from Jesus that says we haven’t seen nor know the Father, like he is a different Father/God than YHWH.

I don’t aim to offend anyone. I just want your opinions, only if you have knowledge of these tablets. The Bible is the only thing I have read that is no doubt supernatural.

What do you all think of the Sumerian tablets? They have a similar story but with one God that made Demi gods. There was a global flood. Two brothers, Enlil and Enki were some the Demi gods and “Enki” is thought to be Jesus. Enlil created humans and regretted it and flooded the whole earth. Enki was for the humans.

I am a firm believer in Jesus and am wondering if this is all deception or if this is really part of our human past. I listen to many arguments and some very convincing that YHWH was a fallen angel that claimed to be the most high God but isn’t. That’s why he is jealous, because there is one higher than him. For instance when Jesus said something like “who would give there children snakes when they ask for food” - something that YHWH did to the Israelites in the Old Testament. There are lots of statements like this from Jesus that says we haven’t seen nor know the Father, like he is a different Father/God than YHWH.

I don’t aim to offend anyone. I just want your opinions, only if you have knowledge of these tablets. The Bible is the only thing I have read that is no doubt supernatural.
You are buying into skeptical arguments based on Gnosticism, if I'm not mistaken. If you look at the ancient religions of the world, most of them have similiar stories couched in myths. Evidently, the first humans that spread out across the world had old stories they told and retold later and fashioned into their respective religions, which have a lot of differences too. It doesn't matter though - you know the Bible is true. Don't waste time with all the skepticism unless you are called to refute it.

An old film now called Zeitgeist has been debunked by Christians. If you haven't already seen them, check them out.

Do you think the Gen 6 giants had a part in this?

You are buying into skeptical arguments based on Gnosticism, if I'm not mistaken. If you look at the ancient religions of the world, most of them have similiar stories couched in myths. Evidently, the first humans that spread out across the world had old stories they told and retold later and fashioned into their respective religions, which have a lot of differences too. It doesn't matter though - you know the Bible is true. Don't waste time with all the skepticism unless you are called to refute it.

An old film now called Zeitgeist has been debunked by Christians. If you haven't already seen them, check them out.
Yes Gnosticism. But I wouldn’t say I’m buying into it. Just looking at all scriptures brought me to this. Not just canonized scripture.

What I’ve discovered is that there are arguments that are very convincing in just about all sects of Christianity, but they are all different. Even gnostic Christianity. So much so that it made me question everything. Everything but Jesus. That’s just where I am in my walk.

There are quite a few parallels in Genesis to Ancient Near East literature, including the Flood. It used to be standard to say that the Genesis Flood account came from the Enuma Elish and so on, but now that is rejected. What is unmistakable is a similar collection of motifs and stories circulating in the Ancient Near East. A "cultural stream" so to speak but no direct dependence on the Enuma Elish for the Flood.

By contrast, Genesis 1 shows too many parallels with ancient Egyptian pagan creation myths to be accidental and in fact seems to be a refutation of them

There are quite a few parallels in Genesis to Ancient Near East literature, including the Flood. It used to be standard to say that the Genesis Flood account came from the Enuma Elish and so on, but now that is rejected. What is unmistakable is a similar collection of motifs and stories circulating in the Ancient Near East. A "cultural stream" so to speak but no direct dependence on the Enuma Elish for the Flood.

By contrast, Genesis 1 shows too many parallels with ancient Egyptian pagan creation myths to be accidental and in fact seems to be a refutation of them
The Genesis flood account and the Enuma Elish seem to come from a common source. The Rig Veda also has basically the same story. There's a few origin stories from Ugarit that have been translated recently which have a cognate version in the Bible, as well. It's a fair bet that the story comes from a northern source in the kingdom of Urartu (aka Ararat).

But there are also many Biblical stories which seem to have a southern origin, in Edom, Midian, Moab...

The "split" between the northern and southern kingdoms seems to have existed before Solomon.

-Jarrod

Back