• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

How does the Devil find out what we are thinking?

Hobie

Senior
Reaction score
We know the Devil isnt omnipresent, so how does he temp us, how does he know what makes us stumble, how does see what we are thinking and tempt us as even Jesus had to face it.

Matthew 4:1
Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

Does the devil just try every temptation to see if we react, or do we ourselves betray our thoughts and if so, how does he pick it up if he is not there...?

We know the Devil isnt omnipresent, so how does he temp us, how does he know what makes us stumble, how does see what we are thinking and tempt us as even Jesus had to face it.

Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

Does the devil just try every temptation to see if we react, or do we ourselves betray our thoughts and if so, how does he pick it up if he is not there...?
Even humans are able to tell what is going on in some people's minds. The devil has had 6000 years of watching people, and he is very intelligent.

But I think it's more than that; he can do whatever God allows him to do, and no more. But it is hard to make generalizations when God deals with each of us specifically. The Devil, though he would not want to admit it, is a tool God is using for God's purposes.

There is also the theory that all fact, all action, all deeds, all words, (all thoughts?) are imprinted in the makeup of atomic structure. Maybe he can read some of that —I don't know. I do know that obedience and time spent walking with and pursuing the Lord instead of pursuing fleshly matters and disobeying and 'quenching the Spirit' can make a difference as far as protection from the Devil.

Also note, though, that James' narrative of the sequence of causation in temptation doesn't even mention the Devil. While no doubt the Devil would be proud to claim responsibility for causing us to sin, according to James, we do it to ourselves.

He (his people) just listen to our conversation and WE TELL HIM where our "hot buttons" are, and SHOW HIM with our actions what's important to us. SImple as that.

Even humans are able to tell what is going on in some people's minds. The devil has had 6000 years of watching people, and he is very intelligent.

But I think it's more than that; he can do whatever God allows him to do, and no more. But it is hard to make generalizations when God deals with each of us specifically. The Devil, though he would not want to admit it, is a tool God is using for God's purposes.

There is also the theory that all fact, all action, all deeds, all words, (all thoughts?) are imprinted in the makeup of atomic structure. Maybe he can read some of that —I don't know. I do know that obedience and time spent walking with and pursuing the Lord instead of pursuing fleshly matters and disobeying and 'quenching the Spirit' can make a difference as far as protection from the Devil.

Also note, though, that James' narrative of the sequence of causation in temptation doesn't even mention the Devil. While no doubt the Devil would be proud to claim responsibility for causing us to sin, according to James, we do it to ourselves.
That seems to go a bit beyond what we are given I would say...

Temptation doesn't come from the "devil." It comes from within us. Or don't you believe the bible?

14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. James 1:13–14.

And the "devil" and all the angels that sinned are locked up. Most likely this occurred before God created man.
I place this event between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2.

4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment; 2 Peter 2:3–4.

You're right. He is not there.
And you cannot take an adjective and turn it into a noun or pronoun. That makes for bad grammar.
Terribly bad grammar.

Temptation doesn't come from the "devil." It comes from within us. Or don't you believe the bible?

14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. James 1:13–14.

And the "devil" and all the angels that sinned are locked up. Most likely this occurred before God created man.
I place this event between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2.

4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment; 2 Peter 2:3–4.

You're right. He is not there.
And you cannot take an adjective and turn it into a noun or pronoun. That makes for bad grammar.
Terribly bad grammar.
So, if "the 'devil' and all the angels that sinned are locked up", and, "Most likely this occurred before God created man.", what are demons --and if you don't believe that nowadays they are around, what were the demons that Jesus expelled from people during his ministry? Or do you have a way to show that the Bible is not accurate there, or that it means something else?

So, if "the 'devil' and all the angels that sinned are locked up", and, "Most likely this occurred before God created man.", what are demons --and if you don't believe that nowadays they are around, what were the demons that Jesus expelled from people during his ministry? Or do you have a way to show that the Bible is not accurate there, or that it means something else?
Not only did Jesus heal physical sickness but He also healed mental sickness. Do you know where in Scripture He did that? There are several.

Hello Hobie, the devil doesn't know our thoughts, but he can certainly see/take note of what we do, what things "trigger" us, that is (to use a modern term), as I believe others have already mentioned above .. cf Job 1:6-7.

There are also Dr. Geisler's "3 D's" (Doubt/Deny/Disobey) that Satan first used against our progenitors in the Garden of God. He said, "If you can get people to doubt the Bible, then you will get them, sooner or later, to deny it, but you have to doubt first, before you can deny. Then, as they deny, you're going to get them to disobey, and that's worked so well since the Garden of Eden that he hasn't had to change his tactics. He still uses it."

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf

Not only did Jesus heal physical sickness but He also healed mental sickness. Do you know where in Scripture He did that? There are several.
Are you asking me to read your mind? I don't do hints very well. Make your point plainly.

Do you know where in scripture he cast out demons? There are several.

He does not know. Nowhere in the Bible is it stated the devil knows what anyone is thinking.

However, the devil can readily infer our weaknesses simply by hanging around us for a while and observing us. He is neither omnipresent nor omniscient, but he does have a legion of minions to do his bidding. That's important because the moment we think THE devil is influencing us we're likely displaying a degree of hubris. The devil can't watch everyone so he's probably minding POTUS of the ruler of Russia or China rather than an ordinary person who has little comparative impact on the world.
Yes, and that should be understood correctly. Jesus did not have any untoward desires by which he could be bated (the Greek term here is best understood as Jesus being sent out into the wilderness to be baited by the devil, not to have non-existent weaknesses in his being exposed. This should also be understood as a role assigned to the devil, not something the devil necessarily wanted to do. The devil knows who and what is Jesus. He knows Jesus is the logos of God who is God who was foreknown before the world was created to be the perfect sacrifice. He knows he is NOT that guy and therefore has no power of his own over Jesus. The devil has been through this before with Job: he was summoned to come before God, arrogantly thought he'd goad God only to eventually learn something about both God and God's faithful. He had to ask permission to sift Peter. The devil is NOT a free agent. Perhaps most saliently, the chief reason the devil has any knowledge of our sin, and our weakness thereof is because he, too, is a sin-enslaved creature who has been rendered dead in sin by his own disobedience. Because he knows what it was like to want to be god, he can bait any self-aggrandizing, self-deifying human. Piece of cake.

That does not mean he reads minds.

Jesus knows who and what is Jesus.... and Jesus knows it eternally, not just temporally. The devil, on the other hand, is a created creature. He knows nothing of eternity. Neither does he know anything temporally from the point of view of eternity. He's an idiot, an idiotic sinfully dead and enslaved fool compared to Jesus. He was commanded to go out into the wilderness to have a tank battle with a straw and spit wads. Jesus was hungry, but he's got no desire to be enticed by a loaf of bread he could make from a rock. The guy who can turn a stone into bread can last months without eating. Moses did it for forty days and one greater than Moses was there that night being asked to perform a sophomoric trick. Likewise, Jesus commands the entire heavenly host and is King of all kings so he's not actually feeling any enticement that might drag him away when offered the rule of all worlds that are all already his. He says, "Pffffft!!!" to the devil when that nonsense comes out of the devil's mouth. It probably irritated the devil to no end to be forced to suggest such nonsense. He was prideful, not brainless.
Does the devil just try every temptation to see if we react...
The devil does not know you or I exist except possibly as an anecdotal report from one of the other lesser angels who previously followed in rebellion.
...or do we ourselves betray our thoughts and if so, how does he pick it up if he is not there...?
I am of the mind that James is correct: resist the devil and he will flee. We're tempted by our own desires, not the devil. Once enticed those lusts drag us away and cause sin and death. We are a much bigger danger to our life than the devil. He's just as sin-enslaved as anyone AND he's been held in eternal bonds of darkness for the day of judgment. If one of those rebels does manage to show up in our life, then it is only to serve God's purpose.

Romans 8:18-39
For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now. And not only this, but also we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body. For in hope we have been saved, but hope that is seen is not hope; for who hopes for what he already sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it. In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified. What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things? Who will bring a charge against God's elect? God is the one who justifies; who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? ..........in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

God works all things (including the devil) for good according to His purpose and NOTHING can separate us from the love of God found in Christ. The only one sovereign over sin is God.

The devil knows squat.

Are you asking me to read your mind? I don't do hints very well. Make your point plainly.

Do you know where in scripture he cast out demons? There are several.
There are only two revealed creatures God created (not including animals, etc.), and they are angels and man. There is no such thing as 'demons' except when describing 'evil spirits' which are the evil attitudes in angel and man. This is a mental condition and Christ died for this as well, not just sin but also the evil attitudes originating from sin directed towards God and man. Christ healed the man in the tombs who suffered a mental condition. He was aware who Jesus was because Jesus' fame spread abroad far and wide. There was nothing supernatural in their knowing who He was:

7 And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not. Mk 5:6–7.

What we know about mental conditions are all found in the effect of sin upon us - even if born again. Patients can be quiet and in their own little world, or they can be deranged and expressive and loud and shouting and crying or making guttural or groaning noises. Take your pick. The men/man was also observed cutting himself with stones. What many expositors overlook is the man ran over to Jesus and worshiped him, and as the word is defined by Strong's, prostrated himself and kissing His feet. In his own little unorthodox way could have expressed Jesus to heal him not knowing what he wanted but He knew Jesus and that He healed people. But the man was not in control of his faculties and Jesus had to command the man to shut up/be quiet, to soothe him which is what medical workers do to someone acting like he was.

When asked his name he said, "Legion, for we are many" which in his deranged condition may have just been his actual name. Being "many" can refer to the delusions and/or identities he could have created in his mind. Matthew records there were two people in these tombs. Now, in my studies the first thing Jesus does with an uncooperative individual like this uncontrolled man is to subdue the mind before He could do anything else and this also led to a normal communication.

Sending the man "out of the country" is a mistranslation. "Country" is not in view here but being in the tombs was. Now, we go from "unclean spirit" in verse one to "devils" in verse twelve. Strong's defines the word "devils" as

from daio (to distribute fortunes); a dæmon or supernatural spirit (of a bad nature)

So, what is being "distributed"?
Attitude.
Words and attitudes - especially bad attitudes - are powerful. Life and death are in the power of the tongue. That's a lot of power for something we can't see but surely can 'feel.'

The word "them" as in send "them" away (vs. 10) is the word "autos" and we know this word is also used as a prefix meaning "self" (automatic, autonomous, etc.), So, there are not "many" in view here but one: self.
The word "us" in verse 12 is the word "egō" meaning in the 'first person' or "one" - self (I, me, etc.)
But why the 'swine'? Because swine are unclean animals and the man himself was unclean. He had a mental condition, a derangement.
We can look upon someone's 'countenence' and discern whether they are happy or sad, confused or any other expressive that indicates a person's frame of mind. Note: MIND.
Have you ever walked into a populated room and sensed a 'presence' or oppression? Someone is expressing a "bad attitude." Negative attitude as opposed to a 'sunny' or good attitude. In the end what did Jesus do? He healed the man of his mental condition. There is indication the man had a mental condition because what was the result of this encounter?

15 And they come to Jesus, and see him that was possessed with the devil, and had the legion, sitting, and clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid. Mk 5:15.

One more thing...there is nothing in the Old Testament of the children of Israel ever dealing with "devils" and such the way the theology and interpretation of "evil spirit" and "demon" and "devils" is interpreted in the New Testament. None.
Now, you can consider what I've written here and reject it outright and continue to hold to the way these terms are interpreted in the New Testament but again, there is no precedent in the Old Testament of these things being described the way the theology of the New Testament records them. But along with physical infirmities there were people with mental condition: depression, derangement, bi-polar, schizo, etc., but although not clearly described in the NT of Jesus dealing with people with a mental condition, there are several places in the bible of Jesus healing the mind as well as the physical. It's just not clearly interpreted even though it is clearly recorded. At least I think so. And there is one more thing to consider and that is the gift or discernment of spirits (1 Cor. 12.)

The gift allows the person who has this gift to discern the source of this spiritual phenomenon. And there are three spirits it can discern - actually, four:

1. the spirit of man.
2. the spirit of angels (good and evil.)
3. the Spirit of God.

There are only two revealed creatures God created (not including animals, etc.), and they are angels and man. There is no such thing as 'demons' except when describing 'evil spirits' which are the evil attitudes in angel and man. This is a mental condition and Christ died for this as well, not just sin but also the evil attitudes originating from sin directed towards God and man. Christ healed the man in the tombs who suffered a mental condition. He was aware who Jesus was because Jesus' fame spread abroad far and wide. There was nothing supernatural in their knowing who He was:

7 And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not. Mk 5:6–7.

What we know about mental conditions are all found in the effect of sin upon us - even if born again. Patients can be quiet and in their own little world, or they can be deranged and expressive and loud and shouting and crying or making guttural or groaning noises. Take your pick. The men/man was also observed cutting himself with stones. What many expositors overlook is the man ran over to Jesus and worshiped him, and as the word is defined by Strong's, prostrated himself and kissing His feet. In his own little unorthodox way could have expressed Jesus to heal him not knowing what he wanted but He knew Jesus and that He healed people. But the man was not in control of his faculties and Jesus had to command the man to shut up/be quiet, to soothe him which is what medical workers do to someone acting like he was.

When asked his name he said, "Legion, for we are many" which in his deranged condition may have just been his actual name. Being "many" can refer to the delusions and/or identities he could have created in his mind. Matthew records there were two people in these tombs. Now, in my studies the first thing Jesus does with an uncooperative individual like this uncontrolled man is to subdue the mind before He could do anything else and this also led to a normal communication.

Sending the man "out of the country" is a mistranslation. "Country" is not in view here but being in the tombs was. Now, we go from "unclean spirit" in verse one to "devils" in verse twelve. Strong's defines the word "devils" as

from daio (to distribute fortunes); a dæmon or supernatural spirit (of a bad nature)

So, what is being "distributed"?
Attitude.
Words and attitudes - especially bad attitudes - are powerful. Life and death are in the power of the tongue. That's a lot of power for something we can't see but surely can 'feel.'

The word "them" as in send "them" away (vs. 10) is the word "autos" and we know this word is also used as a prefix meaning "self" (automatic, autonomous, etc.), So, there are not "many" in view here but one: self.
The word "us" in verse 12 is the word "egō" meaning in the 'first person' or "one" - self (I, me, etc.)
But why the 'swine'? Because swine are unclean animals and the man himself was unclean. He had a mental condition, a derangement.
We can look upon someone's 'countenence' and discern whether they are happy or sad, confused or any other expressive that indicates a person's frame of mind. Note: MIND.
Have you ever walked into a populated room and sensed a 'presence' or oppression? Someone is expressing a "bad attitude." Negative attitude as opposed to a 'sunny' or good attitude. In the end what did Jesus do? He healed the man of his mental condition. There is indication the man had a mental condition because what was the result of this encounter?

15 And they come to Jesus, and see him that was possessed with the devil, and had the legion, sitting, and clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid. Mk 5:15.

One more thing...there is nothing in the Old Testament of the children of Israel ever dealing with "devils" and such the way the theology and interpretation of "evil spirit" and "demon" and "devils" is interpreted in the New Testament. None.
Now, you can consider what I've written here and reject it outright and continue to hold to the way these terms are interpreted in the New Testament but again, there is no precedent in the Old Testament of these things being described the way the theology of the New Testament records them. But along with physical infirmities there were people with mental condition: depression, derangement, bi-polar, schizo, etc., but although not clearly described in the NT of Jesus dealing with people with a mental condition, there are several places in the bible of Jesus healing the mind as well as the physical. It's just not clearly interpreted even though it is clearly recorded. At least I think so. And there is one more thing to consider and that is the gift or discernment of spirits (1 Cor. 12.)

The gift allows the person who has this gift to discern the source of this spiritual phenomenon. And there are three spirits it can discern - actually, four:

1. the spirit of man.
2. the spirit of angels (good and evil.)
3. the Spirit of God.
How is anyone to discern the spirit of evil angels (demons) if they are locked up?

What a twisted mess!

He doesn't. Eph 2

2 And you were dead in the trespasses and sins 2 in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— 3 among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body[a] and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.[b]

The world, our flesh, and the devil. He doesn't need to know how to tempt us. The temptations are all around us and they are in us. We follow our desires.

1 Cor 4:3 ANd even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing.4. In that case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Does this mean that the devil is a god and is the one who governs this world. No. God governs him. He is a creature. But all the evil and the sin and the wickedness---all the temptations to go against God, the devil is the father of them---the father of lies. And that is only by permission of God. It is a judgement of all creation because of Adam's sin, as God proceeds with redemption, not only for His people but for all creation. Romans 8:18-25.

We are our own worst enemy. The devil does not need to throw roadblocks in our way, or know our thoughts, or personally tempt us. And neither he or any demons, can possess a Christian, or they would be a house divided. The devil did not make us do it. Submit yourselves to God. That is, follow His rules not the sinful desires of the flesh.

How is anyone to discern the spirit of evil angels (demons) if they are locked up?

What a twisted mess!
Yes, I agree. Gentile theology is a twisted mess. Take the theology that an angel (Satan) tempted Jesus in the desert. Isn't that what you believe? But James says temptation comes from within. So, are there two ways of being tempted?
The word "satan" is used of humans. How can that be? Are humans also angels? And the theology of Gentiles that changes an adjective "devil" and makes it a noun or personal pronoun.
And it doesn't matter that Israel never had any "devils" or "demons" to deal with in the OT as Gentiles interpret these words in the NT.
Peter discerned a good angel who slapped him awake and freed him from his shackles. Or the Gentile theology that "entertaining 'angels' unawares" means the good spirit-beings of God and discount that it merely just may mean human 'messengers' on the roads less or most traveled. And good angels in Revelation? John discerned them.
Yes, the angels that sinned, according to Peter and Jude, are locked up. And I receive this word.
Do you?

So, if "the 'devil' and all the angels that sinned are locked up",
BIG "IF". The devil isn't "Locked up", and on;y a certain selection of Angels are. evil spirits and demonic entities have free access to us. READ THE BIBLE in context, and that's a;; obvious. In your post youve already told the demonic hoards that you don't have a CLUE what's really going on, and they'll use it against you as they see fit.

Good question.

I once heard a preacher tell a story called The Purple Worm.
He told the story as a fisherman taking a box of different colored worms to catch a particular type of fish - bass.
He used yellow worms and got no results.
Used blue ones and no results.
Tried red ones with no results.
etc.

Then he tried a purple worm and the bass couldn't seem to resist it and he caught a whole bucket full!
So which color do you think he used when he went bass fishing again?
Purple, of course, because he already knew which they preferred to bite.

The preacher compared this with the devil and what he will use to tempt YOU in particular.
Once he finds your weak spot, the bait you are too weak to resist.
He uses the sin (or sins) that you have already proven to fall for.

We know the Devil isnt omnipresent, so how does he temp us.....
Do you see and understand the internal contradiction in that question?

If he is NOT omnipresent, then he CANNOT tempt everyone at the same time. If the devil is in China tempting Wang Yi or Xi Jinping (he cannot tempt both at the same time, btw) then he CANNOT be on the other side of the globe tempting you, me, or anyone else in this thread at the same time. He is not omnipresent. ALL those temptations occurring at the exact same time the devil is tempting Vladimir Putin or Vasily Zhomiruk, CANNOT be happening via the devil knowing what we are thinking.

Thinking otherwise, especially in any way that maintains the contradiction between the devil's limited presence and his tempting everyone, is a bad hamartiology.

Do you see and understand the internal contradiction in that question?

If he is NOT omnipresent, then he CANNOT tempt everyone at the same time. If the devil is in China tempting Wang Yi or Xi Jinping (he cannot tempt both at the same time, btw) then he CANNOT be on the other side of the globe tempting you, me, or anyone else in this thread at the same time. He is not omnipresent. ALL those temptations occurring at the exact same time the devil is tempting Vladimir Putin or Vasily Zhomiruk, CANNOT be happening via the devil knowing what we are thinking.

Thinking otherwise, especially in any way that maintains the contradiction between the devil's limited presence and his tempting everyone, is a bad hamartiology.
I agree with you that the devil has limitations and God does not.

However, the differences will get tricky if one only thinks of them literally instead of theologically.
The modern mind will think of "omnipresent" as always being everywhere.
We have scripture stating that God is everywhere, but we also have scripture that tells of God leaving the temple.
How can you leave a place if you are always everywhere?
So one must take both as theological issues and not make them literal, because if you make them literal then you have a contradiction.

Can we amend that to say, "We agree with scripture: the devil has limitations, and God does not"? And agreement with each other is meaningless outside an agreement with God ;).
However, the differences will get tricky if one only thinks of them literally instead of theologically.
I disagree.
The modern mind will think of "omnipresent" as always being everywhere.
Yep.
We have scripture stating that God is everywhere, but we also have scripture that tells of God leaving the temple.
Which is not applicable to the devil. In other words, the example chosen is a false equivalence, an analogy that has absolutely no relevance to the discussion of this op, which is explicitly and specifically about the devil, not God. Scripture never states the devil is everywhere and if the devil leaves the temple, then he cannot also be in the temple. God can be gone and present simultaneously omnipresently..... especially when we read the individual statements of scripture in their inherent contexts.
How can you leave a place if you are always everywhere?
Neither you, me, nor the devil can do so. God, however, can. When asking questions like this from a creaturely perspective - instead of asking about God from an eternal and divine perspective - we err. A false dichotomy is instantly created, and false dichotomies are never scriptural, never rational, and never true.
So one must take both as theological issues and not make them literal, because if you make them literal then you have a contradiction.
Red herring. We're not talking about God. We're discussing the devil and the premise the devil can read everyone's mind and thereby tempt everyone.

The correct answer is: The devil cannot read anyone's mind, much less everyone's mind. We are tempted by our own lusts, not the testing or baiting the devil may do to any one individual at a time once he's discovered our lusts. To elaborate, there are lusts common to sinful humanity that the similarly lustful sinful devil knows well about, and knows how to exploit, but that does not take any ability to know what we are thinking.

This failure to read people's minds and to correctly understand the nature of sinful lusts explains how and why the devil failed so miserably when bating Jesus in the wilderness. The logos of God who was with God in the beginning and is God does not possess any lust to turn rocks into bread, fully knowing he - like Moses - can and will survive forty days without food, and the temple of God that is God who can stop the wind and move mountains does not possess anything within him by which he'd feel the desire, the lust, to step off the temple. The Son of God by whom, through whom, and for whom creation was created most definitely does NOT feel any lust to worship the devil. That gospel record is a report of Christ's impeccability, sin's depravity, and the devil's ignorance.
Correct and if and when that fact is followed through to its logically necessary conclusions the answer to this op's inquiry, "How does the devil find out what we are thinking?" is....

He does not.

The devil has limitations. He is not God and he cannot know what anyone is thinking. He can, however, observe an individual's words and actions and understand them through his own experience of sinfulness.

Back