• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Death or Judgment

prism

Asleep in the boat Lu 8:23-24
Reaction score
Faith
Berean (Acts 17:11)
Country
USA
Marital status
Married
Politics
Leans Right
I wonder which unbelievers fear most: Death or Judgment?

Hebrews 2:14 NKJV
Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil,

Hebrews 10:27 NKJV
but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.

Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil,

but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.
I do not think that Hebrews 10:27 is directed at unbelievers; rather, it seems to me, to be directed at believers who have apostatized.

I do not think that Hebrews 10:27 is directed at unbelievers; rather, it seems to me, to be directed at believers who have apostatized.
Paul warns of the certain judgment awaiting the Hebrews that apostatize (10:26-31). This passage, similar to 6:4-8, is one of the most abused in the book of Hebrews. Arminians use it to great advantage to teach that sinning undoes salvation. Calvinists struggle hard here to find either (1) only false professors in the church or (2) a hypothetically impossible “if” exhorting the saints to faith. Unconditionalists follow the Calvinists or use presumptuous sinning to escape.

Note Paul using the hypothetical “IF” in warning several times (2:3; 6:6; 12:25). The conjunction “for” connects the warning to the instruction of holding fast.

The reason for exhorting one another was to avoid God’s certain judgment.

The approaching day that should motivate greater efforts is here described.

The “sin” considered here is apostasy from the gospel of Christ back to Judaism. The immediately preceding and connected context is holding our profession. The transgression here is set against receiving the knowledge of the truth.

It is a sin that is of such a nature that there remains no further sacrifice. “Sin” simply considered has a sacrifice remaining in Christ (Ist John 2:1).

Peter “sinned” grievously and willfully, but Christ had mercy upon Him.

The N.T. offers greater mercy to repenting sinners (Jn 8:11; I Jn 1:9).

Hebrews rejecting Christ’s gospel had nothing left to save from wrath. It is a sin that leaves no escape but makes judgment certain (2:3; 12:25). It is a sin that directly despises Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit (6:6). It is compared to “letting the gospel slip,” “neglecting so great salvation,” “falling away,” and “turning away from him that speaks from heaven.” It is a sin described as “casting away confidence” and “drawing back.”

Apostasy from Christ for Judaism rejects God’s Son, shows goats’ blood more holy than Christ’s, and despises the great covenant blessing of the Spirit.

The judgment waiting apostates was certain, fearful, and used against adversaries It was certain – Paul has warned that escape for apostasy is impossible. It was fearful – Paul will describe falling into God’s hands as being fearful. It was for adversaries – the enemies of Christ had their doom guaranteed.

This cannot be lake of fire, because those under consideration are sanctified.

Daniel said it was “determined” (Dan 9:26-27); Jesus Christ said it was more sure than the continued existence of heaven and earth (Mat 24:35; Lu 21:33). Jesus specially judged His enemies (Mat 21:41; 22:7; 23:35; 24:21; Luke 19:27 The severity of Moses’ law was inferior to Christ’s judgment (2:2-3; 12:25). Capital sins and apostasy received no mercy (Nu 15:30-31;De 13:6-11; 17:2-7).

The N.T. crime considered here is total apostasy from Christ and the Spirit. How else is Jesus Christ so openly despised and put to an open shame? Sinners confessing their frequent sins magnify the blood of Christ.

Legal humiliation of Christ is impossible since sanctification is finished.

Note how God’s Son has been identified from the very beginning (1:2; 2:3).

God is a God of vengeance upon His own people when they reject His blessings. God in vengeance will judge an ungrateful people (Deut 32:35 cp Luke 21:22). God in vengeance will judge His own people (Deut 32:36 cp Luke 19:41-44). God’s fury at the rejection of His blessings is a terrible thing to consider.

David once asked to fall into the hands of the Lord (II Samuel 24:10-15).

God is to be feared in His great power (Ps 76:7; Matt 21:44; Heb 12:29).

Paul had warned already of the consequences of missing God’s rest (4:1,11).

Paul warns of the certain judgment awaiting the Hebrews that apostatize (10:26-31). T
The entire letter to the Hebrews was a warning against rejecting Christ and returning to Judaism.

Is that an opinion, without Scripture backing?

The entire letter to the Hebrews was a warning against rejecting Christ and returning to Judaism.
From what I understand Hebrews was written for christian believers....and chapter 6 wasn't about losing salvation but rather blessings in a way similar to what happened to Moses and the Jews and entering into the promised land.

Ok, so which do you believe unbelievers fear most: Death or Judgment?

Why would unbelievers fear judgment?

Why would unbelievers fear judgment?
Same reason they fear death.
Plus they have a conscience telling them what is right/wrong...

Romans 1:19,28 NKJV
because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. [28a] And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge,

Romans 2:1,14-16 NKJV
Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things. [14] for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, [15] who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) [16] in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.

Paul warns of the certain judgment awaiting the Hebrews that apostatize (10:26-31). This passage, similar to 6:4-8, is one of the most abused in the book of Hebrews. Arminians use it to great advantage to teach that sinning undoes salvation. Calvinists struggle hard here to find either (1) only false professors in the church or (2) a hypothetically impossible “if” exhorting the saints to faith. Unconditionalists follow the Calvinists or use presumptuous sinning to escape.
Note Paul using the hypothetical “IF” in warning several times (2:3; 6:6; 12:25). The conjunction “for” connects the warning to the instruction of holding fast.
The reason for exhorting one another was to avoid God’s certain judgment.
The approaching day that should motivate greater efforts is here described.
The “sin” considered here is apostasy from the gospel of Christ back to Judaism. The immediately preceding and connected context is holding our profession. The transgression here is set against receiving the knowledge of the truth.
It is a sin that is of such a nature that there remains no further sacrifice. “Sin” simply considered has a sacrifice remaining in Christ (Ist John 2:1).
Peter “sinned” grievously and willfully, but Christ had mercy upon Him.
The N.T. offers greater mercy to repenting sinners (Jn 8:11; I Jn 1:9).
Hebrews rejecting Christ’s gospel had nothing left to save from wrath. It is a sin that leaves no escape but makes judgment certain (2:3; 12:25). It is a sin that directly despises Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit (6:6). It is compared to “letting the gospel slip,” “neglecting so great salvation,” “falling away,” and “turning away from him that speaks from heaven.” It is a sin described as “casting away confidence” and “drawing back.”
Apostasy from Christ for Judaism rejects God’s Son, shows goats’ blood more holy than Christ’s, and despises the great covenant blessing of the Spirit.
It despises and rejects the remedy.
The judgment waiting apostates was certain, fearful, and used against adversaries It was certain – Paul has warned that escape for apostasy is impossible. It was fearful – Paul will describe falling into God’s hands as being fearful. It was for adversaries – the enemies of Christ had their doom guaranteed.

This cannot be lake of fire, because those under consideration are sanctified.

Daniel said it was “determined” (Dan 9:26-27); Jesus Christ said it was more sure than the continued existence of heaven and earth (Mat 24:35; Lu 21:33). Jesus specially judged His enemies (Mat 21:41; 22:7; 23:35; 24:21; Luke 19:27 The severity of Moses’ law was inferior to Christ’s judgment (2:2-3; 12:25). Capital sins and apostasy received no mercy (Nu 15:30-31;De 13:6-11; 17:2-7).

The N.T. crime considered here is total apostasy from Christ and the Spirit. How else is Jesus Christ so openly despised and put to an open shame? Sinners confessing their frequent sins magnify the blood of Christ.

Legal humiliation of Christ is impossible since sanctification is finished.

Note how God’s Son has been identified from the very beginning (1:2; 2:3).

God is a God of vengeance upon His own people when they reject His blessings. God in vengeance will judge an ungrateful people (Deut 32:35 cp Luke 21:22). God in vengeance will judge His own people (Deut 32:36 cp Luke 19:41-44). God’s fury at the rejection of His blessings is a terrible thing to consider.

David once asked to fall into the hands of the Lord (II Samuel 24:10-15).

God is to be feared in His great power (Ps 76:7; Matt 21:44; Heb 12:29).

Paul had warned already of the consequences of missing God’s rest (4:1,11).

Neither. They FEAR the "UNKNOWN".

Neither. They FEAR the "UNKNOWN".
Lot's of things are unknown...that seems too general.

Hebrews 2:14-15 NKJV
Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, [15] and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

Don't know about any other non-believers, but I fear death way more than judgement. I tend to think that a judgement from a supreme being would be just.

Don't know about any other non-believers, but I fear death way more than judgement. I tend to think that a judgement from a supreme being would be just.
Maybe the reason they fear death is deep down they know there will be a final judgment, involving the 2nd death.

I would think they would 'fear' that which exists in reality: Death.

Unbelievers who are not saved and do not know God as a born-again believer does are indifferent of 'judgment' since they are 'un-believers.' Deep down they do - IMHO - have a sense beyond their comprehension there is a God and what they may have heard about God in their lives does influence them. But for the most part the passage in Psalms 14 which reads...

1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Ps 14:1.

...does not mean they don't believe God exists but that they don't believe God will do all Scripture and His promises say He will do. As Saul said:

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Rom. 1:18–20.

So, taking what Saul said it is apparent to me that all mankind "under their skin" know there is a God, but as I take Psalms 14:1, they don't believe all the judgment stuff God has said He will do in Scripture. IMHO.

I would think they would 'fear' that which exists in reality: Death.
Isn't Judgment just as real? (perhaps expressing itself by way of a guilty conscience?)

Isn't Judgment just as real? (perhaps expressing itself by way of a guilty conscience?)
It is to us Christians but to the unsaved they don't believe in judgment, not when the god preached to them loves everyone and 'just won't send people to hell.'
Can't have a guilty conscience when it's seared and/or defiled.
IMHO.

Can't have a guilty conscience when it's seared and/or defiled.
That's true, but that wouldn't be all unbelievers, just the ones who don't give a d-m.
Some may not believe in Judgment, just like some don't believe in God, but that doesn't make it any less real
as evidenced by a guilty conscience. Heck, even some bac Christians have a guilty conscience, not fully understanding the blood cleansing atonement. IMHO

Back