• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Conversion To Catholicism

Odë:hgöd

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FAQ: I'm considering joining the Catholic Church. Would it be a mistake?

REPLY: Catholicism is a beautiful religion, but it's not easy.

Once someone is fully committed by completing First Holy Communion and
Confirmation and undergone Christian baptism; they will be expected to comply with
everything Rome teaches and stands for, e.g. the Commandments, the Canon Law, the
dogma, the rituals, the Traditions, the Councils, the Bulls, the Encyclicals, the rites, the
holy days of obligation, and the entire Catechism; plus everything that Jesus and the
apostles taught in the New Testament, i.e. all four gospels and all twenty-one epistles,
plus Acts and Revelation.

That's a lot to remember, let alone put into practice.

And then there's the matter of mortal sin. When Catholics leave this life with just one
mortal sin on the books awaiting absolution, just one, they go straight to Hell. It's a
direct flight; no stopover in a Purgatory. Even if a Catholic managed to be a top
performer in faith and practice for fifty years, none of that will be taken into
consideration. They will leave this life as if they'd been a pagan the whole time. Mortal
sins are that lethal.

The paragraph below from CCC 1782 of the catechism of the Catholic Church;
acknowledges everyone's rights and freedoms in regard to selecting a religion of their
own personal choice.

"Man has the right to act in conscience, and in freedom, so as personally to make moral
decisions. He must not be forced to act contrary to his conscience. Nor must he be
prevented from acting according to his conscience, especially in religious matters."

However, be aware that once someone joins the Catholic Church, they will have to
relinquish those rights and no longer be permitted to either interpret, or apply, the Holy
Bible's teachings sans hierarchy oversight per CCC 85 which says:

"The task of giving an authentic interpretation of the Word of God, whether in its written
form or in the form of Tradition, has been entrusted to the living teaching office of the
Church alone. Its authority in this matter is exercised in the name of Jesus Christ." This
means that the task of interpretation has been entrusted to the bishops in communion
with the successor of Peter, the Bishop of Rome."

Bottom line is: Catholicism isn't a democratic structure-- it's more like Big Brother's
thought control in George Orwell's novel "Nineteen Eighty Four". I'm not saying that's
necessarily disagreeable because some folks prefer being told what to believe rather
than figuring things out for themselves; and they feel secure having a hierarchy to
blame if perchance Catholicism proves misleading-- I'm only saying that it's a level of
governance that some folks might find a bit too controlling.
_

Confirmation and undergone Christian baptism; they will be expected to comply with
everything Rome teaches and stands for, e.g. the Commandments, the Canon Law, the
dogma, the rituals, the Traditions, the Councils, the Bulls, the Encyclicals, the rites, the
holy days of obligation, and the entire Catechism; plus everything that Jesus and the
apostles taught in the New Testament, i.e. all four gospels and all twenty-one epistles,

And then there's the matter of mortal sin. When Catholics leave this life with just one
mortal sin on the books awaiting absolution, just one, they go straight to Hell. It's a
direct flight; no stopover in a Purgatory. Even if a Catholic managed to be a top
performer in faith and practice for fifty years, none of that will be taken into
consideration. They will leave this life as if they'd been a pagan the whole time. Mortal
sins are that lethal.

The paragraph below from CCC 1782 of the catechism of the Catholic Church;
acknowledges everyone's rights and freedoms in regard to selecting a religion of their
own personal choice.

"Man has the right to act in conscience, and in freedom, so as personally to make moral
decisions. He must not be forced to act contrary to his conscience. Nor must he be
prevented from acting according to his conscience, especially in religious matters."

However, be aware that once someone joins the Catholic Church, they will have to
relinquish those rights and no longer be permitted to either interpret, or apply, the Holy
Bible's teachings sans hierarchy oversight per CCC 85 which says:

"The task of giving an authentic interpretation of the Word of God, whether in its written
form or in the form of Tradition, has been entrusted to the living teaching office of the
Church alone. Its authority in this matter is exercised in the name of Jesus Christ." This
means that the task of interpretation has been entrusted to the bishops in communion
with the successor of Peter, the Bishop of Rome."

Bottom line is: Catholicism isn't a democratic structure-- it's more like Big Brother's
thought control in George Orwell's novel "Nineteen Eighty Four". I'm not saying that's
necessarily disagreeable because some folks prefer being told what to believe rather
than figuring things out for themselves; and they feel secure having a hierarchy to
blame if perchance Catholicism proves misleading-- I'm only saying that it's a level of
governance that some folks might find a bit too controlling.
_
It's a beautiful religion? So, if Protestants are Christian, Catholics are not? Is Protestantism a different religion from Catholicism?

But astoundingly, this sounds like the beauty of it is its selling point! Its beauty is what attracts people, and not their need for Christ?

Is Protestantism a different religion from Catholicism?

Protestantism isn't a religion per se. It's a broad sphere of Christian denominations
so named because of their objections to a number of Rome's proprietary beliefs and
practices.
_

Protestantism isn't a religion per se. It's a broad sphere of Christian denominations
so named because of their objections to a number of Rome's proprietary beliefs and
practices.
_
This is only an assumption.

and yet it seems so simple... obedience to Christ and His Church IS WORTH IT!

There are no guarantees in the Catholic religion, not even for the hierarchy; which
has me a bit concerned about my eldest brother. He served Rome as a Catholic
priest for 53+ years before passing away as a Friar back in 2018.

Well; I would not want to be him because if perchance my brother ended up on the
wrong side of things in the afterlife, he will surely be mocked cruelly and without
pity by some of the ugly folks imprisoned in the netherworld. I can just hear their
giggling and their taunts:

Hey Christian! How's about sharing the gospel with us ay? Tell us about the love of
God and how that's working for ya. Awwwww-Haw-Haw-Haw-Hawwwwwwwww!

I'd rather end up in perdition as a Bernie Madoff than a failed priest because ol' ponzi
schemer Bernie is sure to be given far more respect down there than a man of the
cloth.
_

1Pet 3:15b . . Be ready always to give an answer to every man that asks you a
reason of the hope that is in you.

The Greek word for "hope" in that passage, and in others (e.g. Rom 8:23-25)
pertains to expectations; viz: it isn't wishful thinking, nor the crossing of one's
fingers; no, it's a confident kind of hope that looks forward to something and fully
expects to obtain it; i.e. it's an anticipating hope; viz: it doesn't pray for the best,
while in the back of its mind dreading the worst.

When people aren't 110% sure what the afterlife has in store for them-- if there is
even the slightest concern, anxiety, or unease --they can't possibly comply with
Peter's instructions for the simple reason that the hope that is in them, if any, is the
wrong kind of hope.

Rom 12:12 . . Rejoice in hope.

When people are praying for the best, while in the back of their mind dreading the
worst, they have absolutely no cause for rejoicing; no; but they do have plenty of
cause to fear the unknown.
_

1Pet 3:15b . . Be ready always to give an answer to every man that asks you a
reason of the hope that is in you.

The Greek word for "hope" in that passage, and in others (e.g. Rom 8:23-25)
pertains to expectations; viz: it isn't wishful thinking, nor the crossing of one's
fingers; no, it's a confident kind of hope that looks forward to something and fully
expects to obtain it; i.e. it's an anticipating hope; viz: it doesn't pray for the best,
while in the back of its mind dreading the worst.
but we have a race to run per St. Paul... we also have a cross -- we rejoice in the opportunity to show God our love

I was baptized very young into Roman Catholicism. When older, my mom enrolled
me in catechism where I eventually completed First Holy Communion and
Confirmation.

I was very satisfied as a Catholic until I came of age and began to realize the
extent of the challenge I was facing. The thing is: even were I to succeed at being
pious enough in this life to obtain Heaven, I was pretty certain I could not keep up
the good work for eternity. It would only be a matter of time before I did something
really stupid and got kicked out.

Ps 15:1-2 . . Lord: who may dwell in your sanctuary? Who may live on your holy
hill? "He whose walk is blameless and who does what is righteous"

Long story short: it occurred to me that it would be the cat's meow if I were as
naturally pleasing to God as His son Jesus always is, because then it would be very
easy to not only obtain Heaven, but also very easy to stay in Heaven without fear
of being kicked out:

"He that sent me is with me: the Father has not left me alone; for I do always
those things that please Him." (John 8:29)

I was very surprised, and excited, upon discovering that something very similar to
the very thing I wished for is contained in a promise that God made to Moses'
people.

Ezek 36:24-27 . . I will gather you up from all the nations and bring you home
again to your land. Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean.
Your filth will be washed away, and you will no longer worship idols. And I will give
you a new heart with new and right desires, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will
take out your stony heart of sin and give you a new, obedient heart. And I will put
My spirit in you so you will obey My laws and do whatever I command.

That benefit was originally intended for the Jews but anon became available to
Gentiles too.

Isa 49:5-6 . . And now The Lord says-- he who formed me in the womb to be his
servant to bring Jacob back to him and gather Israel to himself, for I am honored in
the eyes of The Lord and my God has been my strength --He says: "It is too small
a thing for you to be my servant to restore the tribes of Jacob and bring back those
of Israel I have kept. I will also make you a light for the Gentiles, that you may
bring my salvation to the ends of the earth."

And sure enough, the benefit is reiterated in the New Testament per 2Pet 1:3-4
which says:

"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through
our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness. Through these
He has given us His very great and precious promises, so that through them you
may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption that's in the world."

I should think it goes without saying that the divine nature would be a whole lots
more successful at producing an acceptable level of piety than the human nature
could ever wish for because even at its best the human nature is corrupt; which is
translated from a Greek word basically pertaining to damaged goods, i.e. broken.

Jer 13:23 . . Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its spots? Neither
can you do good who are accustomed to doing evil.
_

Confirmation.

extent of the challenge I was facing. The thing is: even were I to succeed at being
pious enough in this life to obtain Heaven, I was pretty certain I could not keep up
the good work for eternity. It would only be a matter of time before I did something

Long story short: it occurred to me that it would be the cat's meow if I were as
naturally pleasing to God as His son Jesus always is, because then it would be very
easy to not only obtain Heaven, but also very easy to stay in Heaven without fear
of being kicked out:

I was very surprised, and excited, upon discovering that something very similar to
people.

again to your land. Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean.
Your filth will be washed away, and you will no longer worship idols. And I will give
you a new heart with new and right desires, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will
take out your stony heart of sin and give you a new, obedient heart. And I will put

Gentiles too.

servant to bring Jacob back to him and gather Israel to himself, for I am honored in
the eyes of The Lord and my God has been my strength --He says: "It is too small
a thing for you to be my servant to restore the tribes of Jacob and bring back those
of Israel I have kept. I will also make you a light for the Gentiles, that you may

which says:

"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through
may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption that's in the world."

I should think it goes without saying that the divine nature would be a whole lots
could ever wish for because even at its best the human nature is corrupt; which is
translated from a Greek word basically pertaining to damaged goods, i.e. broken.

Jer 13:23 . . Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its spots? Neither
_
It pleases God when one is obedient to His Church. Christ founded one Church and that Church has been giving us the sacraments for two millennia.

Confirmation.

of being kicked out:

people.

Gentiles too.

which says:

_
Yes, I also experienced the horror of trying to live up to a pious life in a foolish attempt to merit Eternal Life. I too was reared in Catholicism in my early years. This is a delusion and a lie that a fallen man; a sinner, can live up to the holy standard of God. Which is why God sent a Promised Seed who could and would, and did live up to the Holy demands of the Law for us; the ungodly!

And the Righteousness he merited is credited to those who believe in him who justify the ungodly through Faith Alone! This is called the Marvelous Good News of the Gospel.​

It is sincerely believed, by quite a few Catholics, that a sinner's salvation rests upon
the grace of God; but in too many of those very same minds it's also sincerely
believed that it is by the grace of God that they now have a fighting chance to earn
their salvation, whereas before they had no chance to earn it.

In a nutshell; they sincerely believe that Christ's crucifixion opened the doors of
heaven, but Catholics have to climb their way up to those doors by proving
themselves worthy.

Phil 2:12 . . So then, my beloved, obedient as you have always been, not only
when I am present but all the more now when I am absent, work out your salvation
with fear and trembling.

1Cor 9:24 . . Do you not know that the runners in the stadium all run in the race,
but only one wins the prize? Run so as to win.

But they won't succeed because the bar is set too high.

Rom 3:23. . For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God

In other words; God will accept nothing less than His own sinless perfection. Well;
I've yet to meet even one Catholic, nor even heard of any, who can measure up to
that standard.
_

practices.
_
It was a rhetorical question. But, ok.

Luke 2:8-12 . . Now there were shepherds in that region living in the fields and
keeping the night watch over their flock. The angel of The Lord appeared to them,
and the glory of The Lord shone around them, and they were struck with great fear.

. . .The angel said to them: Do not be afraid; for behold, I proclaim to you good
news of great joy that will be for all the people. For today in the city of David a
savior has been born for you who is Messiah and Lord.

The angel announced the birth of a savior; which Websters defines as one who
rescues.

Rescuing is what the Coast Guard does when boats capsize. Rescuing is what
firemen do when people are trapped inside burning buildings. Rescuing is what
mountaineer teams do when climbers are in trouble. Rescuing is what EMT
paramedics do when someone needs to get to a hospital in a hurry; and kept alive
till they arrive. Rescuing is what surgeons do when someone needs an organ
transplant.

I could go on and on giving example of rescuer after rescuer; but I think we get the
idea. The New Testament's Jesus is like that: he rescues people from the wrath of
God-- people who not only fully deserve it, but definitely in line to get it; and with
no humanly possible way to avoid it.

Now; of what real benefit would the savior of Luke 2:8-12 really be to anybody if he
couldn't guarantee a fail-safe rescue from the wrath of God? He'd be of no benefit
to anybody. No; he'd be an incompetent that nobody could rely on.

But, if a savior were to be announced who guaranteed anybody who wants it a
completely free of charge, no strings attached, guaranteed fail-safe, sin proof,
human nature-proof, Ten Commandments-proof, bad behavior-proof, apostasy
proof, reprobate-proof, back-sliding proof, Sermon on the Mount-proof, God-proof,
Devil-proof, irrevocable rescue from the wrath of God, and full-time protection from
future retribution; wouldn't that qualify as good news of great joy?

I think just about everybody concerned about ending up on the wrong side of things
would have to agree with me that news like that would not only most certainly be
good; but also cause for celebration, and ecstatic happiness.

FAQ: If what you say about a savior's scope as an emergency service is true; then
what's with passages like Phil 2:12 and 1Cor 9:24?

REPLY: Jesus' crucifixion is a gateway. (Matt 7:13-14 & John 10:1-9)

For example:

When funny new guys enlist to serve their country as a soldier, a sailor, or an
airman; they become military personnel the very day they clear MEPS rather than
down at the end of their enlistment. However, the day of their enlistment is only
the launch pad of their careers as they have lots of training to undergo first in
preparation for their individual specialties in the armed services.

In like manner: Phil 2:12 is training and 1Cor 9:24 is service. But Jesus' funny new
guys get neither the training nor an opportunity to serve him until they first
become joint principals with him in his crucifixion, viz: rescue comes first: afterwards
comes the training and the service.

Rom 6:3 . . Don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus
were baptized into his death?

Rom 6:8 . . We died with Christ,

Gal 2:20 . . I am crucified with Christ

Col 3:2-3 . . Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died,
and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.
_

Last edited:
t's a beautiful religion? So, if Protestants are Christian, Catholics are not? Is Protestantism a different religion from Catholicism?

All that glitter is not gold The father of lies the god of this world. the god of the lust of the eye, the lust of the flesh The two building blocks of false pride

I would say day and night differnce . Protestants' receive the end of there born agin salvation from the beginning confirming the fulness of grace the complete price.

Other than what they call Queen Mary the mother, having received the fullness, The rest of the world a unknown remnant suffer wonder ,suffer wonder? Teachings she visit Limbo and Purgatory and provides comfort

God has given His son a number of sheep to manage.

John 10:29 . . My sheep . . my Father gave them to me

Jesus' Father expects His son to be conscientious about the sheep's safety.

John 6:39 . .This is the will of the One who sent me: that I should not lose
anything of what He gave me.

Jesus never fails to give the One what He wants.

John 4:34 . . My food is to do the will of the One who sent me.

John 8:29 . . I always do what is pleasing to Him.

Now the thing is: were Jesus to lose even one of the sheep that his Father entrusted
to his care-- just one --then Jesus would not be able to say that he "always" pleases
the One who sent him. He could say that he pleases the One most of the time, but
certainly not always without fail.

People are actually casting a nay vote in regard to Jesus' competence when they
insist it's possible for him to lose some of the sheep that his Father gave him. I
would be inclined to agree with the skeptics were the shepherd only human.

However: the Bible teaches that Christ is not only human, but also a theophany
(John 1:1-3 & John 1:14) viz: he's the divine architect responsible for constructing
the entire cosmos with all of its forms of life, matter, and energy. So then, the good
shepherd has all the powers and abilities of the supreme at his disposal to insure he
succeeds at keeping the sheep right where his Father wants them kept.

John 10:9 . . I am the door; whoever enters through me shall be saved.

Were Christ only human; then he wouldn't dare say "shall be" saved; no, he'd have
to tone it down a bit and say "can be" saved. That would leave him some room for
error. But when Christ says "shall be" he's claiming a 0.0% failure rate. That's how
confident Christ is that he will lose nothing of those that the One gave him.

FAQ: Why can't the sheep change their minds about following Christ and leave him
to follow someone else?

REPLY: Animal husbandry isn't democratic, on the contrary: it's very possessive.

The thing is: a rancher's free will trumps the herd's free will; and the rancher's
brand burned into the animals' skins identify them as his. So be advised: once
someone makes the decision to unify with Christ, they relinquish whatever
sovereignty they had as a beast at large, viz: they become Christ's property, and
there's no going back because Jesus and his Father play for keeps.

John 10:28-29 . . No one can take them out of my hand-- my Father, who has
given them to me, is greater than all; and no one can take them out of the Father’s
hand. I and my Father stand together.

1Cor 6:19-20 . .You are not your own; you were bought at a price.

Eph 1:13 . . In him you also-- who have heard the word of truth, the gospel of
your salvation, and have believed in him --were sealed with the promised Holy
Spirit.
_

Last edited:
People are actually casting a nay vote in regard to Jesus' competence when they
insist it's possible for him to lose some of the sheep that his Father gave him. I
would be inclined to agree with the skeptics were the shepherd only human.
I would offer the confidence is Christ the anointing Holy Spirit of the Father the invisible head

Philippians 1King James Version1;5-6 For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now; Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ

The next chapter I think shows the work of Christ working out

Philippians 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

The gospel key both to hear and understand his will and empower dying mankind, yoked with Christ to do it. Our daily bread

Back