• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Consistent Hermeneutics: Calvinism vs Arminianism

"You have no rights before God. He is free. You are not. He is the Potter. You are the clay. Can the clay talk back to the Potter?"
Probably my favorite line from Paul when considering God's sovereignty and His place as Creator.
Exactly the reason my screen name is His clay. God is God; and I am not. @GeneZ stumbles over this most basic truth. Hence, the repeated blasphemy from GeneZ.
(TMSO - The Mostly Silent One)- It was originally from High School, when I watched mostly, and spoke little. [I was... different.] I used it in College on electronic bulletin boards as well.

That is not answer that explains what the grace does. Its only waxing poetic.

The question: What does grace do? What is its power to do for man?

Grace in the Bible has various applications.
One is in bringing us to salvation....
Then after salvation to continue working in our lives to bring us to maturity in Christ.

And be growing in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
To Him be the glory both now, and to the day of eternity. Amen." 2 Peter 3:18​

There is one truth about God's grace that applies in all phases of God's use.

Its "enabling power" for the powerless.

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me."
2 Cor 12:9​

Grace is real power that God administers to those whom He chooses for the purpose of His plan.

Before regeneration..

Our natural fallen state was powerless to overcome the tyrannical dominance of our flesh over our soul.
Without God's grace? No one could be free to believe.

For the flesh craves what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh.
They are opposed to each other, so that you do not do what you want." Galatians 5:17​

While drawing us God's grace will push down our flesh's power that would otherwise dominate over our soul.
In doing that? Our soul is made to be free (by grace) to finally be able to choose what we want to believe.
And, if we found ourselves wanting to? Grace also makes a soul equally free to reject God.
But this time, rejection comes freely from the soul without the flesh dictating the decision against God.
That soul, like Satan did, ends up making that evil choice freely. That is why God will punish as He will.

Those whom the Father is able to draw to a predetermined level which He sees as the point of completion?
That one will be ready. God will know that they will want to believe in Jesus. That is when the Father hands that soul over to the Son.

God created man in His image. (Gen 1:26-27)

To be in God's image means man is to reflect the nature of God.

To be a true reflection? God granted man his own area of sovereignty to be within a domain specified by God.
That sovereignty of man resides in his volition within a realm God designated for man to choose from.

Man's sovereignty is so absolute in how God created man in His image?
That God Himself can not change our mind if we should end up resenting Him and wanting no part of Him...

In that manner God has truly created man in His image. Having sovereignty within a realm of choosing determined by God.

For now.....

grace and peace!
I will get to this point by point in a bit. As a preview of what is about to come: you are not following the scriptures, you are rewriting them, throwing a lot of mud in the water, and presenting nothing but your musings. And you gave not a shred of evidence to back up anything you said.

That is not answer that explains what the grace does. Its only waxing poetic.

The question: What does grace do? What is its power to do for man?
The question was actually what does irresistible grace consist of? Is the problem an inability to stay focused, or is it that when you actually get a question answered, and you don't like the answer or perhaps the answer is one that is so irrefutable and actually causes the light bulb to flicker, that you skip right on by and simply change the question and then present your own monologue?

But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it,
“Why have you made me like this?” Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump
to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?
What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with great patience
the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction." Romans 9:20-22​

He is the potter who molds and forms our souls with trials and pressures that He brings our way.
The excuse makers will blame God for their failures. They have no right to talk back to God.
For out from the same types of pressures and trials? Some making right decisions will become noble souls.

Those noble souls who faced the same pressures will leave those who wanted to talk back to God to be without excuse.

Its comforting to know what that passage is talking about.
Seems you still think it is all bout the clay and not about the Potter.

Grace in the Bible has various applications.
One is in bringing us to salvation....
Then after salvation to continue working in our lives to bring us to maturity in Christ.

And be growing in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now, and to the day of eternity. Amen." 2 Peter 3:18
There is one truth about God's grace that applies in all phases of God's use.

Its "enabling power" for the powerless.

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me."
2 Cor 12:9

Grace is real power that God administers to those whom He chooses for the purpose of His plan.
Well let's get straight what grace isn't first and then address what you say. Grace is not power, it is favor/blessing/provision. Christ is full of grace and truth. God is the fountain of grace---that is the source of all grace and graces. This would be an example of grace and the graces in grace: Eph 1:3-14

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, 4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 he predestined us[b] for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. 7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, 8 which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 9 making known[c] to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, 12 so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. 13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is the guarantee[d] of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it,[e] to the praise of his glory.

This is an example of asking for grace, which we should do for whatever the grace is needed for.:Eph 1:15-20

15 For this reason, because I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love[f] toward all the saints, 16 I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, 17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, 18 having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, 19 and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might 20 that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, 21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. 22 And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church, 23 which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.

Remember and embrace James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

This is not a down up situation but an up down one. God is up, we are down. Everything we have must come from Him, for He is the one who has it. He has all love, all wisdom, all knowledge, all righteousness etc. We do not have it unless He gives it to us. And His means of giving us these things is His word. It is there we learn who He is and who the Son is and what the Son did. It is there we are taught wisdom, a number of books dedicated specifically on how to navigate and not only survive but thrive in this fallen world. The NT writers of the epistles are constantly reminding us of wisdom in how to live and be as His children. It is from His word that we gain knowledge. From His word that we gain hope and comfort, as the Holy Spirit in us brings understanding to first our mind and then embeds it in our heart.

These are the graces that come with salvation, and how we grow in grace, but it is purely by His grace, His loving favor and blessing and provision, and for His glory that He gives these to us.The grace that is said to save, is specific and immediate, and is what gives us access to His throne of grace in our time of need. Because this has gotten so long (if you actually read the scriptures posted) I will address that in a following post.

God sovereignly imputed to man our own area for having sovereignty.

If He did not?

We would not have been created in the image of God.

Our sovereignty covers deciding who and what we shall worship.

The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness.
Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone
to come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9

Its God's desire that none will perish.
Yet, God sovereignly chose to give man the sovereign power to decide.

Our sovereignty is honored by God when men choose to reject God's will.

If God truly created man in His image? He must honor our choices.

To be fair.

He gives the power of his Grace to eliminate our flesh's involvement, when we are presented a moment for decision.

Its not complex. Its just confusing when people can not see God as being different than how they would do things.
God is absolute Integrity - Holiness. He does not change. Its all according to his Righteousness.

Seems you still think it is all bout the clay and not about the Potter.

Looks like the Potter assigned you to me for the pressure you provide.

Others do get what I say. Others won't.

Its not complicated.

@GeneZ
The grace that is said to save, is specific and immediate, and is what gives us access to His throne of grace in our time of need. Because this has gotten so long (if you actually read the scriptures posted) I will address that in a following post.
Probably the strongest statement of salvation through grace alone, at least the most pointed to, though it is supported within the whole counsel of God, is Eph 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

So salvation comes through faith---and that would mean through believing the gospel---- but it comes by grace. So what is this grace, if grace is the favor, blessing, provision of God, as I laid out in post #85? It is His mercy and love for us (verse 4) even when we were dead in our trespasses (verse 5). What did this grace give? Faith (verse 8). What did He do in His grace? Made us alive together with Christ and raised us up with Him and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus. (verses 5-6) Why did He do this? So that in the coming ages He might show the immeasurable riches of His grace and kindness toward us in in Christ. (verse 7).

This was the first grace from which all other grace flows and it could only be done by God. And this is the grace that irresistable or effectual grace is speaks of in the Reformed doctrine loosely expressed in TULIP. As the passage says that this grace gives the necessary faith needed to believe for salvation, then it actually gives it. God does not offer it and it becomes effectual only if the person accepts the gift. If a person has faith, they have faith. And if God almighty in His grace gives them faith, they have faith.

And the only way this can be done is if God has created specific individuals to be given to Christ, and predestines them to be given to Him, and gives them to Him.

Its not complicated.
Perhaps you should stop applying the pressure as being on me but consider the possibility that it is being applied to you for your own good. It will require an honest desire to know truth rather than thinking that you already have it and therefore simply down putting others. It will require you to be willing to humble yourself before God and bear up under the sharp wounds to ego that might have to face being wrong. I would not expect you to do so on the forum, at least not until you have suffered the blows to ego and survived them, come out the other side joyful and grateful, unable to not speak of His glory.

I do not even any longer expect you to respond to what I actually say in my posts, but I do pray that in the inner room, communing with God, just Him and you, you will ponder, not only my words but those of others who have interacted with you in this thread, and ask Him, not to tell you, but show you in His word, or remind you from His word, if they are true. You might ask Him to show you who He is. Forget about you for awhile, and find out who He is, not according to who you say He is, but who He says He is. He tells us loud and clear, starting in Gen 1:1, and there is not a shadow of change in Him throughout His word. You are going to have to completely let go of yourself and all those things that you already cling to, as Jesus put it, "take up your cross and follow Him," in order to seek God first. Not yourself, not humanity, but God.

If He did not?

Well Genez, you will have to prove that with scripture.
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness.
Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone
to come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9​
I sincerly hope this is not a verse you plan to us to support your belief above?
If so, reconsider becaiuse it is completly taken out of context.
None of what? Scripture please.
Genez, honestly bud, you need to start using scripture to back your understanding.
All men choose to reject God. Do you realize we are all born at emnity with God? Our nature must be changed before we will convert.
Says who? You?
To be fair.
Huh?

He gives the power of his Grace to eliminate our flesh's involvement, when we are presented a moment for decision.
Really? Make up your mind, either man chooses or he dont.
Its not complex. Its just confusing when people can not see God as being different than how they would do things.
God is absolute Integrity - Holiness. He does not change. Its all according to his Righteousness.

:unsure:

Its not complicated.
To explain your view according to scripture is extreemly complicated, matter of fact it is impossible. But go for it.

Scriptures please? Logic alone dictates that there cannot be two sovereigns existing in the same place and at the same time.
If He did not?

An image of something is not the thing itself. So rethink what God might mean by creating us in His image and likeness. If you get it right, you can begin interpreting the Bible consistently and correctly, and put God in His proper place in your thinking, and humanity in their proper place in your thinking. Until you can do that none of your statements can be supported in the scriptures----which is why I guess you find it impossible to do. So you just keep making statements and giving them no support.

The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9

It is astonishing the number of people who make that nonsense statement without a seconds look at hermeneutics or exegesis (even though they don't read anything else that way, only the Bible) and therefore arrive at a place where man is sovereign over God and at the same time say they believe God is sovereign. When you do what you just did by your misinterpretation of the scripture you gave, you do not have two equal sovereigns in the same place and at the same time, which of course is an impossibility, you have man being sovereign over God, and God whimpering on the sidelines. Not only that----it becomes that God designed it that way for the sake of our freedom. We become at that point more free than God. If you want me to exegete the scripture for you I will. I have done so many times and in many places.

If you could just get over your bass ackwards theology, man first, God second, you will do well.

Yikes!!!!! is all I dare say at the moment. Maybe later.
Your flesh is pretty much all that is involved in your theology and doctrine. The flesh would be us choosing. God requiring us to choose in order to be saved, would be Him asking for our flesh to profit salvation---and HE SAYS, the flesh profits nothing. Grace is not a power. It is something freely given even though it is not earned or asked for. And that something in this case is faith. ANd if He gives faith, the person has faith. Faith is not a choice, it is what it is.
I don't have that problem. You do. That is why you keep presenting things by telling us what God is and what He does, and how He does them. All from a completely human starting point. All from your perspective of how you think He ought to be. You have not and cannot support any of it with scripture----what God says----and don't even try to.

@GeneZ

Probably the strongest statement of salvation through grace alone, at least the most pointed to, though it is supported within the whole counsel of God, is Eph 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

So salvation comes through faith---and that would mean through believing the gospel---- but it comes by grace. So what is this grace, if grace is the favor, blessing, provision of God, as I laid out in post #85? It is His mercy and love for us (verse 4) even when we were dead in our trespasses (verse 5). What did this grace give? Faith (verse 8). What did He do in His grace? Made us alive together with Christ and raised us up with Him and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus. (verses 5-6) Why did He do this? So that in the coming ages He might show the immeasurable riches of His grace and kindness toward us in in Christ. (verse 7).

This was the first grace from which all other grace flows and it could only be done by God. And this is the grace that irresistable or effectual grace is speaks of in the Reformed doctrine loosely expressed in TULIP. As the passage says that this grace gives the necessary faith needed to believe for salvation, then it actually gives it. God does not offer it and it becomes effectual only if the person accepts the gift. If a person has faith, they have faith. And if God almighty in His grace gives them faith, they have faith.

And the only way this can be done is if God has created specific individuals to be given to Christ, and predestines them to be given to Him, and gives them to Him.

Are you implying that I am saying we are not saved by grace?
Without grace no one could be saved. For our sin natures would be preventing it.

The word "works" at that time was a religious system devised by man, for man to fulfill as to gain the approbation of God.
The Pharisees were insanely works oriented. They kept on inventing things for followers to do as a means to inherit eternal life.
That is why it was needed to say we are not saved by "works."

Are you implying that I am saying we are not saved by grace?
Without grace no one could be saved. For our sin natures would be preventing it.
Well then, how do you put faith in it? Considering the natural man does not believe, nor can he.

The word "works" at that time was a religious system devised by man, for man to fulfill as to gain the approbation of God.
The Pharisees were insanely works oriented. They kept on inventing things for followers to do as a means to inherit eternal life.
That is why it was needed to say we are not saved by "works."
It was needed to say because of the Pharisees. Really?

All men choose to reject God. Do you realize we are all born at emnity with God? Our nature must be changed before we will convert.

Where in Scripture does it say men "choose" to reject God.

They, being fallen, are all under compulsion to reject God. They can not choose.

Well then, how do you put faith in it? Considering the natural man does not believe, nor can he.

Faith is what we believe. Romans 10:17

So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

"Natural man" is not what the Greek says.

The Greek word is psuchikos which means "soulish" man.
Meaning, having only a human soul, not having a functional human spirit.

In salvation?
It gives information to the "soulish" man that he can understand.
He can not comprehend the Deity of Christ, nor that Heaven and Hell are real.
Spiritual realities are foolishness to him.

But, what the "natural" man can grasp? He knows that he sins.
He can know very well that he is a sinner.

The Gospel gets to the core issues that a natural man can grasp.
Then, once he is regenerate, if he believes?
Then he is capable to grasping spiritual realities that before he could not see.

Well, who chooses God?

:rolleyes:

Why is this such a perpetual problem for Calvinists?
Its because of what you have been inculcated with.

You have been told and are under the impression that man can not choose for God.
That is true for all men without God's enabling grace.

Grace removes the old barrier that made that so.
Its your soul that chooses.
That is why God saves the soul, but not the body!

Where in Scripture does it say men "choose" to reject God.

They, being fallen, are all under compulsion to reject God. They can not choose.
Not by choice. Compulsion.

Grace cures that dilemma by separating the power of the flesh over the enslaved soul.
The soul (by grace) is made free to decide without 'compulsion.'

If that soul being freed from the sinful flesh is evil?
That soul will want to reject God freely.

Sin and evil are not one and the same.
Jesus died for our 'sins'
Jesus did not die for evil...........

grace and peace .............

Back