• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

B. B. Warfield on the Finneyite priesthood of evangelists

Carbon

Admin
Reaction score
Faith
Reformed
Country
USA
Marital status
Married
Politics
Conservative
It is a sufficiently odd doctrine which he [Charles G. Finney] here enunciates, a kind of new Lutheranism with the evangelist substituted for the Word. The Holy Ghost is represented, not, as in the Reformed doctrine, as accompanying the word preached extrinsecus accedens—“the Lord opened Lydia’s heart,” “Paul may plant and Apollos water, the Lord gives the increase”; and not as in the Lutheran doctrine as intrinsic in the Word spoken, acting out from the Word on the heart of the hearer; but as intrinsic in the evangelist speaking. By a mere gaze, without a word spoken, Finney says he reduced a whole room-full of factory girls to hysteria.

As the Lutheran says God in the Word works a saving impression, Finney says God in the preacher works a saving impression. Not the Word, but the preacher is the power of God unto salvation. The evangelist has become a Sacrament. The letters were continued after an interval. There was another descriptive one (“The Enduement of the Spirit”) in which the anecdote of the preaching in “Sodom” related in the “Memoirs” is repeated. Then there was one called Power from on High: who may Expect the Enduement? in which he explains that “all Christians by virtue of their relation to Christ, may ask to receive the enduement of power to win souls to Him,” adding that it comes “after their first faith,” and as an “instantaneous” gift.

In another, “Is It a Hard Saying?” he defends his assertion that those without this power are disqualified for office in the Church. And finally, Enduement for Power from on High considers the conditions upon which this enduement of power can be obtained. It is a pathetic sight to observe the aged Finney after a long life of insistence that it is only by the power of truth that men can be brought to Christ, clothing at the end the evangelist himself with supernatural powers and representing him as fitted for his functions only by the possession of these supernatural powers.

It is an odd instance of the invention of a supernaturally endowed priesthood to mediate between God and man, when God is not permitted Himself to act immediately on the heart; and it seems to bear witness to a deep-lying conviction in the human soul that its salvation will not be accomplished without a supernatural intervention somewhere. The pragmatic refutation of the Pelagian construction of salvation is not a mean one. It will not work; and no one really believes that it will work. The supernaturalism thrown out at the window is very apt to creep back through some chink or other.

Benjamin B. Warfield, ‘Oberlin Perfectionism. III. The Development of the Oberlin Teaching’, Princeton Theological Review, 19, no. 3 (July 1921), pp 461-62.

Jesus Christ is high priest in hierarchy who are his low priests?

Christ is the only mediator between God and man.
Then explain

The church is an extension of Christ!

The scripture says many of the same things of the apostolic church as it does Christ!

Light of the world: Jn 8:12 / Matt 5:14
Hear: Matt 17:5 acts 3:22 / Matt 18:17
Authority: Matt 28:17 / Jn 20:21
Reconciliation: 2 cor 5:19 / 2 cor 5:18
Forgive sins: Lk 5:20 / Jn 20:23

Truth: Jn 14:6 / 1 Tim 3:15

Jesus Christ and His church are one acts 9:4 eph 5:32 and the only means of salvation! Matt 28:19

Jesus Christ extends his mission, power, and authority to His church of His apostles! The apostles have the same mission, ministry, power, and authority as Christ! Jn 20:21 as the father sent me, so I send you!

Even His judging!
Matt 19:28 and 1 cor 6:2
His teaching authority!
Matt 28:19 and Jn 20:21
His power to forgive sins!
Jn 20:23
Jn 17:22 / rom 2:10 / 1 pet 1:7 Christ shares His glory with His saints!
His being the light of the world!
Matt 5:14
Must hear church Matt 18:18
His ministry of reconciliation!
2 cor 5:18
His authority in governing the church and administering the kingdom!
Matt 16:18-19 & 18:18 Jn 21:17
Lk 22:29
Apart from me you can do nothing. Jn 15:5
Acts 2:42 doctrine of the apostles!
So the church is subject to Christ!
Eph 5:24
Christ shares His glory! 2 thes 1:10 rev 12:1

The pillar and foundation of TRUTH!
1 Tim 3:15

The TWO EDGE SWORD!
To proclaim the truth! Matt 28:19
To condemn error! 1 cor 16:22

Jesus Christ founded the new covenant church for the salvation of all men! (Jn 1:16-17) Christ is the truth! (Jn 14:6) Christ and his church are one!
(Acts 9;4 Jn 15:1 eph 5:32)
The church is the pillar of truth
(1 Tim 3:15) that must teach all men (Matt 28:19) without error guided by the Holy Spirit
(Jn 16:13) Thru the grace of God in the sanctification of souls applied in the seven sacraments!

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Matt 18:17 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 9:4 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20 acts 2:42

Then explain

The church is an extension of Christ!

The scripture says many of the same things of the apostolic church as it does Christ!

Light of the world: Jn 8:12 / Matt 5:14
Hear: Matt 17:5 acts 3:22 / Matt 18:17
Authority: Matt 28:17 / Jn 20:21
Reconciliation: 2 cor 5:19 / 2 cor 5:18
Forgive sins: Lk 5:20 / Jn 20:23

Truth: Jn 14:6 / 1 Tim 3:15

Jesus Christ and His church are one acts 9:4 eph 5:32 and the only means of salvation! Matt 28:19

Jesus Christ extends his mission, power, and authority to His church of His apostles! The apostles have the same mission, ministry, power, and authority as Christ! Jn 20:21 as the father sent me, so I send you!

Even His judging!
Matt 19:28 and 1 cor 6:2
His teaching authority!
Matt 28:19 and Jn 20:21
His power to forgive sins!
Jn 20:23
Jn 17:22 / rom 2:10 / 1 pet 1:7 Christ shares His glory with His saints!
His being the light of the world!
Matt 5:14
Must hear church Matt 18:18
His ministry of reconciliation!
2 cor 5:18
His authority in governing the church and administering the kingdom!
Matt 16:18-19 & 18:18 Jn 21:17
Apart from me you can do nothing. Jn 15:5
Acts 2:42 doctrine of the apostles!
So the church is subject to Christ!
Eph 5:24
Christ shares His glory! 2 thes 1:10 rev 12:1

The pillar and foundation of TRUTH!

The TWO EDGE SWORD!
To proclaim the truth! Matt 28:19
To condemn error! 1 cor 16:22

Jesus Christ founded the new covenant church for the salvation of all men! (Jn 1:16-17) Christ is the truth! (Jn 14:6) Christ and his church are one!
(Acts 9;4 Jn 15:1 eph 5:32)
The church is the pillar of truth
(1 Tim 3:15) that must teach all men (Matt 28:19) without error guided by the Holy Spirit
(Jn 16:13) Thru the grace of God in the sanctification of souls applied in the seven sacraments!

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Matt 18:17 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 9:4 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20 acts 2:42
To make a long story short, you are not extending, but substituting the church for Christ, the only mediator. Are you going to show me where the church is also the mediator?

To make a long story short, you are not extending, but substituting the church for Christ, the only mediator. Are you going to show me where the church is also the mediator?
Not the mediator but Christ’s means of mediating
Not a new mediator but Christ continuing to mediate
As he says lk 10:16
And all the other verses
Obedience to his authority ministers is obedience to Christ! Matt 28:28 acts 1:2 his commandments that the apostles administer

He appointed the kingdom
29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

What authority does Christ have?
What power does Christ have?
What mission / ministry does Christ have?

Peter, the apostles and their successors have the same authority, power, and mission as Christ! Jn 20:21 as my father sent me, even so send I you!

We must be taught by Peter, the apostles, and their successors! Lk 10:16 Matt 28:19 Jn 21:17 Jn 16:13 acts 2:42

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

Col 2:7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

Matthew 18:17
And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

It is a thing unthinkable! To refuse to hear the church is to refuse to hear Christ!
Christ and His church are one. Acts 9:4

Spiritual Fathers have care for our souls!

Lk 10:16
He who hears you hears me...

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Jn 21:17 feed my sheep:

Heb 13:7 Remember them which have the rule over you, (apostles) who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.

Heb 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, (apostles) and submit yourselves: for they care for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

1 Tim 1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

Gal 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you

1 John 2
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not.

That makes Paul and John spiritual fathers, pastors of our souls!

Obedience of the faithful Christians or spiritual anarchy of the heretical fundamentalists!

Thanks

Now you will ignor Christ, his church, his authority in the apostles and live apart from Christ and his covenant in spiritual anarchy!

Not the mediator but Christ’s means of mediating
Not a new mediator but Christ continuing to mediate
As he says lk 10:16
And all the other verses
Obedience to his authority ministers is obedience to Christ! Matt 28:28 acts 1:2 his commandments that the apostles administer

He appointed the kingdom

What authority does Christ have?
What power does Christ have?
What mission / ministry does Christ have?

Peter, the apostles and their successors have the same authority, power, and mission as Christ! Jn 20:21 as my father sent me, even so send I you!

We must be taught by Peter, the apostles, and their successors! Lk 10:16 Matt 28:19 Jn 21:17 Jn 16:13 acts 2:42

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

Col 2:7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

It is a thing unthinkable! To refuse to hear the church is to refuse to hear Christ!
Christ and His church are one. Acts 9:4

Spiritual Fathers have care for our souls!

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Heb 13:7 Remember them which have the rule over you, (apostles) who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.

Heb 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, (apostles) and submit yourselves: for they care for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

1 Tim 1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

Gal 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you

1 John 2

Obedience of the faithful Christians or spiritual anarchy of the heretical fundamentalists!

Thanks

Now you will ignor Christ, his church, his authority in the apostles and live apart from Christ and his covenant in spiritual anarchy!
The fact that you will be measured by your own standard is somehow satisfying to me, is to some degree tempered by the knowledge that the same fact applies to me in applying it to you.

The fact that you will be measured by your own standard is somehow satisfying to me, is to some degree tempered by the knowledge that the same fact applies to me in applying it to you.
How does spiritual anarchy respond to each of these verses?

Thanks

How does spiritual anarchy respond to each of these verses?
lk 10:16
And all the other verses

Jn 20:21 as my father sent me, even so send I you!

Lk 10:16 Matt 28:19 Jn 21:17 Jn 16:13 acts 2:42

Acts 9:4

1 John 2
Here's what spiritual anarchy does with those verses: It takes something you said well enough —"That makes Paul and John spiritual fathers, pastors of our souls!"— and translates it via supposed "apostolic succession" to claim that the RCC priests and their superiors are mediators between God and man. The RCC are spiritual anarchists, putting their own use of scripture onto equal footing with scripture itself —the rule of a system of man being equal (and actually, "above") the rule of the Word of God! And even goes to the trouble of claiming that those who reject the RCC reject God! Wow, the overweening pride! The self-deterministic rejection of God himself as the only authority over the wills of men!

It is like the old Children of Israel, in front of the mountain. Let God speak to you, and you to us, because we can't abide the awful power of God upon us! THAT, my friend, is spiritual anarchy.

Here's what spiritual anarchy does with those verses: It takes something you said well enough —"That makes Paul and John spiritual fathers, pastors of our souls!"— and translates it via supposed "apostolic succession" to claim that the RCC priests and their superiors are mediators between God and man. The RCC are spiritual anarchists, putting their own use of scripture onto equal footing with scripture itself —the rule of a system of man being equal (and actually, "above") the rule of the Word of God! And even goes to the trouble of claiming that those who reject the RCC reject God! Wow, the overweening pride! The self-deterministic rejection of God himself as the only authority over the wills of men!

It is like the old Children of Israel, in front of the mountain. Let God speak to you, and you to us, because we can't abide the awful power of God upon us! THAT, my friend, is spiritual anarchy.
No God appointed Moses to speak for them and He others until in Matt 23 they are the successors of Moses!

And the kingdom is taken from them Matt 21:43 given to Peter and the apostles and their successors Matt 16:18-19 lk 22:29 etc.

No God appointed Moses to speak for them and He others until in Matt 23 they are the successors of Moses!

And the kingdom is taken from them Matt 21:43 given to Peter and the apostles and their successors Matt 16:18-19 lk 22:29 etc.
Even if I accept your whole statement (of which I accept only part, obviously), how does that change what I said?

Exodus 20: "18 When the people saw the thunder and lightning and heard the trumpet and saw the mountain in smoke, they trembled with fear. They stayed at a distance 19 and said to Moses, “Speak to us yourself and we will listen. But do not have God speak to us or we will die.”"

Even if I accept your whole statement (of which I accept only part, obviously), how does that change what I said?

Exodus 20: "18 When the people saw the thunder and lightning and heard the trumpet and saw the mountain in smoke, they trembled with fear. They stayed at a distance 19 and said to Moses, “Speak to us yourself and we will listen. But do not have God speak to us or we will die.”"
And Christ appointed Peter and the apostles
Same mission power and authority Jn 20:21
Their words are his words lk 10:16

And Christ appointed Peter and the apostles
Same mission power and authority Jn 20:21
Their words are his words lk 10:16
Ok, you don't want to answer me.

So, we'll go down your path: How does their God-given authority translate to the RCC modern day? Prove the principle of Apostolic Succession, including, prove that it is still en force modern day.

Ok, you don't want to answer me.

So, we'll go down your path: How does their God-given authority translate to the RCC modern day? Prove the principle of Apostolic Succession, including, prove that it is still en force modern day.
Matt 28:19-20 I am with you (the apostles) till when till the end of the world!
Acts 2:8 to the ends of the earth!

Acts 1:15-26 apostolic succession

Matt 23:1 successors of moses
Matt 21:43 kingdom taken from them and given to Peter and the apostles and their successors
Matt 16:18 lk 22:29

Hebrews 3:1
Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

Jn 20:21
21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

1 John 2

God established order and peace by obedience to the hierarchical authority of the fathers!

Thanks

Matt 28:19-20 I am with you (the apostles) till when till the end of the world!
Acts 2:8 to the ends of the earth!

Acts 1:15-26 apostolic succession

Matt 23:1 successors of moses
Matt 21:43 kingdom taken from them and given to Peter and the apostles and their successors
Matt 16:18 lk 22:29

Hebrews 3:1
Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

Jn 20:21
21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

1 John 2

God established order and peace by obedience to the hierarchical authority of the fathers!

Thanks
It doesn't make anybody but the first apostles, plus Judas' replacement, hierarchical authority over our souls. But we've been through all this before. I can see how RCC comes up with what they do, if you are representative of their use of Scripture.

It doesn't make anybody but the first apostles, plus Judas' replacement, hierarchical authority over our souls. But we've been through all this before. I can see how RCC comes up with what they do, if you are representative of their use of Scripture.
Well that’s logical, we are here in the 21st century they lived in the 1st so who is our superior who is there then to care for our souls?

Mt 28:19 until the end of the world?
Acts 1:8 to the ends of the earth?
Not possible for the original apostles they require successor's
Successors are biblical Moses had them when they possessed the kingdom Matt 23:1 taken from them Matt 21:43 given to Peter and the apostles Matt 16:18-19 Jn 20:21 eph 2:30 but successors to them are impossible??

Thanks

Well that’s logical, we are here in the 21st century they lived in the 1st so who is our superior who is there then to care for our souls?

Mt 28:19 until the end of the world?
Acts 1:8 to the ends of the earth?
Not possible for the original apostles they require successor's
Successors are biblical Moses had them when they possessed the kingdom Matt 23:1 taken from them Matt 21:43 given to Peter and the apostles Matt 16:18-19 Jn 20:21 eph 2:30 but successors to them are impossible??

Thanks
I don't know if you noticed, but Matthew 18 says Jesus will be with them til the end of the age. Not, the apostles' successors will be with us til the end of the age. Acts 1:8 doesn't say anything about the apostolic succession. Moses wasn't an apostle, nor were his successors --they had a different job. Matt 23:1 doesn't mention it, though verse 10 is pretty condemning of your notions. Matt 21:43 doesn't mention it. The rest of those say nothing about successors with Apostolic authority.

The fact you read apostolic succession into those verses helps me understand how the RCC gets so many things wrong.

I don't know if you noticed, but Matthew 18 says Jesus will be with them til the end of the age. Not, the apostles' successors will be with us til the end of the age. Acts 1:8 doesn't say anything about the apostolic succession. Moses wasn't an apostle, nor were his successors --they had a different job. Matt 23:1 doesn't mention it, though verse 10 is pretty condemning of your notions. Matt 21:43 doesn't mention it. The rest of those say nothing about successors with Apostolic authority.

The fact you read apostolic succession into those verses helps me understand how the RCC gets so many things wrong.
Moses was at a higher level than an apostle, he was a mediator!

Christ is mediator, and apostle!
And he has successors the apostles and they have successors
Otherwise there is no in charge of the government of the church / kingdom

Teach all nations, how could the original apostles teach all nations???

Christ is speaking to His apostles
Matt 28:19 I am with you (the apostles) till the end of the world
Acts same

Jn 20:21 apostles have the same authority as Christ, he made apostles so do they

Thanks

Back