• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

An open invitation to debate

I think it is abundantly clear by now that @Manfred is not addressing me and my views in good faith. As you, the reader, may have also observed, there have been instances where I needed to clarify my position and, regrettably, these clarifications have not been addressed accurately, or even acknowledged in most cases. Despite my attempts to correct the misunderstandings that have arisen, Manfred neither retracts nor corrects them. To me, it looks like Manfred tries to float these misrepresentations and, when caught out, simply drops them and moves on to the next point in his agenda.

I wish there had been an open, honest, and genuine dialogue where Manfred acknowledges my viewpoint and highlights in a constructive manner any relevant concerns. He could have said at any point, "The way I see it, even this more accurate statement of your belief has problems, such as ..." He has also refused to acknowledge any valid points, even when I express clearly orthodox theology lifted straight from scripture. He has not demonstrated any interest in arriving at a properly accurate understanding of any view that isn't his own.

What I am looking for is an environment where Christian views are respectfully considered and an honest, sincere effort is made to understand each position accurately.

I can understand your anger by my misrepresenting your belief system.

This is confusing to me, for I haven't felt any anger. While I am disappointed with Manfred's disingenuous engagement, it has not risen to the level of anger. My emotional investment in dialogue is minimal, at best. My primary focus is on the logical pursuit of truth, which isn't personal.

You have made no effort to expound on how your belief system differs from the worldview held by evolutionists.

I have no idea how Manfred can make a statement like this after all the things I have said about Adam and Eve, or the federal headship of Adam and Christ, or God's covenant relationship with mankind, or ...

Perhaps in his experience these sort of things are normally featured in an evolutionist worldview. If that is the case, I would want him to cite sources to that effect—

—or admit that I did make clear how my view differs from that of evolutionists.

You [also] seem to be making a mockery of man created in the image of God, ...

And this is a completely groundless claim. Manfred, unsurprisingly, doesn't know the first thing about my view on the imago Dei (which aligns closely with that of J. Richard Middleton, The Liberating Image: The Imago Dei in Genesis 1 [2005]). I would love to hear Manfred explain how Middleton's view makes a mockery of the image of God in man. (But I will not be holding my breath.)

... and at one point even [alluded] to animals worshiping him in any way similar to that of humanity.

What I actually did was cite scripture to that effect. I said (July 18, 2023), "I have never seen a gorilla worship the living God. (In fact, I've never seen a gorilla, period.) But it would not surprise me if it does, in its own way unrecognizable to us: ‘Let everything that has breath praise the LORD’ (Ps 150:6; cf. Rev 5:13)." In other words, it was something God said, not something I said.

You further flatly deny that Eve is indeed the Mother of all the living, ...

What Manfred said here is false. What I denied is her being the mother of all the living in a biological sense. She is the mother of all the living theologically, not biologically (which should be made clear enough by the fact that I keep referring to Genesis 3:15 and the protoevangelium). As I have made clear repeatedly, I approach scripture with the redemptive-historical hermeneutic.

Further, you have to clarify how ... the words of Jesus should be reconciled with your view.

But I did provide that clarification. It was one of the many things that Manfred pretended did not exist.

In this response, I did not add my apology for misrepresenting your belief system or making a caricature of what it is. For this I do apologize, as there is nothing more "unfair" than a complete misrepresentation of an actual belief system.

I accept your apology, Manfred. However, I don't understand why you are carrying on as if the corrections that I provided don't exist. If you are really, genuinely sorry for misrepresenting my views, why have you left all the corrections unacknowledged and unaddressed? That is inconsistent with an apologetic stance.

That said, I have not made a study of evolution through creation (or whatever is the correct term) and felt that your views have a strong resemblance to the worldview held by godless evolutionists, ...

And what you need to acknowledge and understand is that your suspicion is based on that very ignorance. If you did study evolutionary creationism—or even just address my view as presented, instead of consistently misrepresenting it—you would quickly and easily see how forcefully antithetical it is to godless views. I can recommend a number of resources, if you're serious (but I have my doubts that you are).

... [and I presume] you base the evidence of your theories on a worldview and not a biblical view.

—a statement that flatly contradicts what I have actually said.

See what I mean?

My words sound harsh.
If you want to understand my POV listen to this:
Ha! Good thing it was RC Sproul, or I probably wouldn't have even clicked on it.

My words sound harsh.
If you want to understand my POV listen to this:
Didn't have time to watch the whole thing, but while I agree with RC Sproul here (as usual), I don't think he went far enough. I doubt very much that he would disagree with me that in the final analysis, the dignity of man is based on God's use for us, and God's assessment of us. Dignity is not intrinsic to mankind, so much as to be in God, that man has dignity. In the working out of the question, (as with most of our considerations), we attribute dignity to the wrong things, or in the wrong ways, instead of how God does so.

So, Adam and Eve didn't come from the existing population?
What existing population? The Bible says nothing about an existing population. Sounds like you are trying to read modern science into Scripture (or saying that I am doing so), when I've said that would be a mistake and anachronism. Scripture and modern science are largely apples and oranges and speak to different questions.

What existing population? The Bible says nothing about an existing population. Sounds like you are trying to read modern science into Scripture (or saying that I am doing so), when I've said that would be a mistake and anachronism. Scripture and modern science are largely apples and oranges and speak to different questions.
You've seemed to have dropped into cryptic mode.

Didn't have time to watch the whole thing, but while I agree with RC Sproul here (as usual), I don't think he went far enough. I doubt very much that he would disagree with me that in the final analysis, the dignity of man is based on God's use for us, and God's assessment of us. Dignity is not intrinsic to mankind, so much as to be in God, that man has dignity. In the working out of the question, (as with most of our considerations), we attribute dignity to the wrong things, or in the wrong ways, instead of how God does so.

I don't understand Christians who get worked up about human taxonomy or evolutionary history, as if the fact that we are apes is somehow demeaning or undermines our dignity. Scientifically speaking, the human species belongs to the taxonomic family Hominidae, the great apes. But we are not "just" apes, for there is more to being human than what science can tell us. In other words, we are defined by so much more than our biology or ancestry. Yes, we are Hominidae—but that's just taxonomy. It is not scandalous; it is not even remarkable. More importantly, it is not our identity. It's not who we are. Our identity is determined by our creator who made us his image-bearers. That is our identity, that is the take-home message—and that ought to be the real scandal. But we callously take it for granted, almost as if we're entitled to this identity, like it is not a shocking gift of extraordinary grace.

I don't understand Christians who get worked up about human taxonomy or evolutionary history, as if the fact that we are apes is somehow demeaning or undermines our dignity. Scientifically speaking, the human species belongs to the taxonomic family Hominidae, the great apes. But we are not "just" apes, for there is more to being human than what science can tell us. In other words, we are defined by so much more than our biology or ancestry. Yes, we are Hominidae—but that's just taxonomy. It is not scandalous; it is not even remarkable. More importantly, it is not our identity. It's not who we are. Our identity is determined by our creator who made us his image-bearers. That is our identity, that is the take-home message—and that ought to be the real scandal. But we callously take it for granted, almost as if we're entitled to this identity, like it is not a shocking gift of extraordinary grace.
I think I follow you there, and you have a good point.

To add to your, "Our identity is determined by our creator who made us his image-bearers.", I would say, "Our identity isn't even, yet, until we see him as he is."

To add to your, "Our identity is determined by our creator who made us his image-bearers.", I would say, "Our identity isn't even, yet, until we see him as he is."

I can appreciate your sentiment but I don't know that I would agree—at least not yet. WHO WE ARE (identity) has been revealed. WHAT WE WILL BE (nature) has not yet been revealed (1 John 3:2, which is what I think you were referring to). Change my mind.

I can appreciate your sentiment but I don't know that I would agree—at least not yet. WHO WE ARE (identity) has been revealed. WHAT WE WILL BE (nature) has not yet been revealed (1 John 3:2, which is what I think you were referring to). Change my mind.
What you refer here to as "what we will be", is, to my thinking, the thing that God spoke into existence with a word. It is for that, that we are created. That does not negate who we are now, but WE don't know who, or what, he sees when he sees us.

Today I saw a doodle my 20 year old nephew made, kind of cataloguing his years so far, a drawing of himself in diapers, in Indian headdress, on a motorcycle, etc, and each picture separated from the next by several years; then he drew one for the future, a blank in a field of meaningless lines. We are who we will be, but we don't see that person yet. "We are only just beginning to wake up", is one way to put it.

Back