• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

According to the holy Bible, God teaches us the true meaning of love

crists-love

Reaction score

Love, what is it really?
ESV 1 Corinthians 12:31 But earnestly desire the higher gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way.

ESV John 15:5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

ESV Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand

1 Corinthians 13English Standard Version Anglicised (ESVUK)

The Way of Love

13 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned,[
a] but have not love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;[
b
] 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

13 So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Love, what is it really? ESV 1 Corinthians 12:31 But earnestly desire the higher gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way.

ESV John 15:5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

ESV Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand

1 Corinthians 13English Standard Version Anglicised (ESVUK)

The Way of Love

13 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned,[a] but have not love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;[b] 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

13 So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
What do you mean by "true meaning" and "Way"?

There's nothing specific in this opening post about meaning, true or not true. Do you intentionally mean to conflate "meaning" and "way"? If so then please explain how a "way" is identical to or synonymous with meaning. If not, then start over while the thread is still new and either change the title to "....true way of love," or expound on the meaning of love (supported with scripture, of course ;)).

The 1 Corinthians 13 text is a great passage for understanding Biblical love, but a Christian should understand 1) 1 Corinthians 13 is not exhaustive on the subject and 2) there is a plethora of verses and larger text that speak to the topic (directly and indirectly). Furthermore, it is worth noting 1 Corinthians 13 and most other scriptures on the subject of love speak to love as a behavior, a set of actions we are to do and NOT simply an emotion or warm oogy sensation we "feel" when thinking about another. Simply put, love is operationalized in scripture.

Behavior is a way, but it is not meaning.

It is worth noting the Bible speaks very little about "meaning" (the word is used only five times in the entire Bible!). In most cases the God instructs and expects obedience, regardless of whether "meaning" is correctly grasped or not, and in many a circumstance understanding meaning comes only after obedience.

Romans 13:8
Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another...

How do we do that? 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 is a good place to start. Romans 12:9-21 is another.

I meant what I said,part of true meaning for us all.

Last edited:
I'm sure you did. :unsure:

But I have no idea what you're talking about.

I apologise, but according to the Holy Bible, God teaches us the true meaning of love, and 1 Corinthians 13 is just a small part of it on how to love one-another.Amen

I apologise, but according to the Holy Bible, God teaches us the true meaning of love, and 1 Corinthians 13 is just a small part of it on how to love one-another.Amen
Not only does He 'teach us' but He also 'indwells us'...

Romans 5:5 ESV
and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

I meant what I said, part of true meaning for us all.
Perhaps that is what was meant but that is not what was said. Nowhere does the op state, "part of true meaning."

You are new to the forum. I do not know whether you possess any prior experience in internet discussion boards but one of the most basic concepts in effective discourse for ALL text-based mediums is understanding all other have for understanding us is the words on the computer screen. No one can read minds.

• God teaches us the true meaning of love.
  • God teaches us part of the true meaning of love.

Those are two different sentences with important differences in meaning.

• God teaches us the true meaning of love.
  • God teaches us part of the true meaning of love.
  • God teaches us how to truly love.
  • God teaches us part of how to truly love.

Those four sentences are different from one another and the first two say something completely different than the last two because meaning and method are two completely different categories. The problem is the title of the thread claiming meaning while the opening post provides method but no meaning is further exacerbated by the claim what was meant as "part of the true meaning," because the word "part" is absent in the opening post and does not occur until Post 3.

So do not say you meant what you said when you did not say "part of..."

We can all read. We all comprehend English, and we all know when the word "part" is stated and when it is not stated. Had Post 3 simply read, "I meant 'part of the true meaning...." I wouldn't be writing this post. I'd probably be commending the post for making the necessary correction because very few internet posters have enough integrity and courage to say, "That's correct, and I appreciate that information. I will amend my thinking and posting accordingly," when errors are found. It's a curious thing because many, if not most, of us claim to want discussions partly because we want to have our views tested through the examination of others so we can correct them and refine our articulation of those views.

People who say, "I meant what I said...," and then prove two different statements were made accomplish the opposite effect: it's not really self-correction, it lacks courage, and all the readers learn little confidence can be had in that poster's posts. It becomes particularly acute in this thread because defensively claiming to mean what one says but saying two or more different things is not very loving. It does not show love (or respect for self or the other readers).

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 ESV
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

If you, crists-love apply that to yourself the passage then reads,

Crists-love is patient and kind; Crists-love does not envy or boast; he is not arrogant or rude. Crists-love does not insist on his own way; he is not irritable or resentful; he does not rejoice at wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. Crists-love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.​

And from myself toward you it would read something like,

Josh is patient and kind toward crists-love; Josh does not envy or boast toward; he is not arrogant or rude. Josh does not insist on his own way over crists-love; he is not irritable or resentful toward crists-love; he does not rejoice at wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth with crists-love. Josh bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things with crists-love.​

The reverse is hopefully also true. These are extraordinary standards to which we are called. Understanding the meaning of love is accomplished in the doing. That is often the case in scripture for who among us truly understood the meaning of sin or life in Christ apart from being changed, apart from having been brought from death to life, washed clean, and shown love we did not deserve?

1 John 4:19
We love, because He first loved us.

I am a big fan of posters meaning what they post. I hope to see more of it in the future :love:.

I think it is impossible for us to love like Jesus. We can try.

Galatians 2:20 : I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

It is how Jesus Loved me that I am able to love back and tell others I love them, with the Godly love I received. Without the love of Jesus, there is no love at all.

Back